Page 99 of 201 < 1 2 ... 97 98 99 100 101 ... 200 201 >
Topic Options
#1307779 - 14/02/2015 15:37 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
AKM80 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Marian, QLD
Just a question but where does all the "borrowed" money come from? Either side spends and cuts but where does the money come from? All on paper......

#1307799 - 14/02/2015 16:35 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Andy Double U]
Gad Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Silkstone
Originally Posted By: Andy Double U
Originally Posted By: Gad
Originally Posted By: Gad
it does not help the cause when one sacks 15,000+ who with a partner, 2 parents each a few siblings and inlaws, who may have voted for a change in 2012,and wont vote LNP again in the fore seeable future... then again may be it was the unions fault

Why should the job of a public sector employee be guaranteed when the entity they work for is losing money hand over fist...

Those individuals that chose to vote for someone else other than the LNP as retribution for the job losses have done this state a disservice.

where did I imply the job of any public sector employee should be guaranteed

I never meant to imply that you felt that way, please accept my apologies.....

no apology needed, the fault lies within my poor attempt at being amusing.

#1307808 - 14/02/2015 17:02 Re: Australian Politics [Re: AKM80]
ColdFront Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Wide Bay..Near the beach
Originally Posted By: AKM80
Just a question but where does all the "borrowed" money come from? Either side spends and cuts but where does the money come from? All on paper......

It's touched on a little in here. Governments borrow in a similar way to how we do.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-13/hockey-100-million/6085378

#1307878 - 14/02/2015 21:19 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
slipperyfish Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Charters Towers
Just come from a meeting. It appears the Adani project is under threat. It was said that it is highly likely that the ALP are looking to scrap the Abbott point project. Adani have made it clear that without Abbott Point they will not proceed.

It was also said that ALP are looking to re introduce their previous vegetation management policy in regards to grazing and also introducing the Greens policy of livestock management.

If sanity does not prevail in this regard, dark days ahead for graziers already at the precipice of bankruptcy.

It has already been discovered in the letter between the new premier and Wierd Wally Wellington that they are ready to implement some serious impediments to a major infrastructure project in Caloundra that the people there are banking on for jobs. Caloundra isn't even in his electorate.

Either Anna has some magic potion or we are in serious trouble. Regardless it looks like Townsville, Bowen, and Charters Towers are in for even more bad times.

#1307880 - 14/02/2015 21:24 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
Brett Guy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
And therein lies one of the biggest problems with Labour and the left. Stopping Abbott point is fantastic but they must pander to the more ridiculous concepts of the greens in order to keep their support.

#1307885 - 14/02/2015 21:44 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
slipperyfish Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I agree Brett. There was always a lot of questions about both Adani and Abbott Point. I personally am not a fan of widespread mining, causes more problems than it solves. If they do as they said pre election and bring in these two livestock policies we have a massive problem out here in the bush.

The fact she has stated there will be no public sector job losses under her government begs the question, what happens when the three government energy groups amalgamate. What happens with the excess staff?

#1307914 - 14/02/2015 23:19 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
Kev86 Offline
Weather Freak

My two cents
http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/Senate-hears-plan-to-use-dredging-spoil-airport/2341585/

You think this international airport will also bring workers from india in too?

#1307916 - 14/02/2015 23:26 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ColdFront Offline

The LNP ruled the salt pan plan out Kev last year and wanted to dump the spoil instead on wetlands nth west of Bowen.

#1307919 - 14/02/2015 23:37 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
Mick10 Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Kirwan, Townsville - NQld.
re the sunshine coast report. there is going to be no way they will have an international freight centre in bowen. the local federal MP in Townsville has just fought tooth and nail to have customs and immigration at Townsville to reopen international flights at the same costs as other international airports. previous international carriers in Townsville had to pay $40 per passenger more until now to cover customs and immigration.

I can see bowen transporting up to Townsville or eventually an international hub at the whitsundays or mackay for both passengers or freight. but highly unlikely to see an airport built there.
2017 Yearly total to date - 692.8mm (1122mm)

#1307920 - 14/02/2015 23:39 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ColdFront Offline

There is an international runway waiting for completion in the Whitsundays that Mariner started. Those salt pans in Bowen are right alongside town. It wouldn't go down well.

If they are wanting to build a rail line to the Adani mine why can't the dredge spoil be taken west by rail?

#1307922 - 14/02/2015 23:43 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
Mick10 Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Kirwan, Townsville - NQld.
Originally Posted By: ColdFront
Prove they did a deal Mick. Until then it is speculative nonsense.

hmm well lets have a look here, according to the article, the following have been agreed to by the ALP in return for his support -

Equitable allocation of responsibility for infrastructure charges, particularly in relation to Caloundra South.
Review Halls Creek development.
Have Building Queensland create a cost-benefit analysis of the Sunshine Coast rail duplication. Has not committed to the project.
Reinstate Nambour Rail Station funding upgrade as a priority project.
Look at Nambour Hospital parking issues "to determine a solution".

how many other electorates have had these sorts of promises made? again, as I said earlier today, I don't really disagree with any of the above, but Palaszczuk said NO DEALS, and you can call it media spin, but to me this reads, plain and simple like a "DEAL".

I have no doubt that the LNP were probably working deals as well.
2017 Yearly total to date - 692.8mm (1122mm)

#1307977 - 15/02/2015 09:50 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
slipperyfish Offline
Weatherzone Addict

The cost benefit analysis done on the Bowen airport was poor. No real return. Since then they have been looking at Charters towers as the transport hub. It already has a long enough airstrip, hopefully for all of us an inland highway that links here at all directions, and a rail linking the west to the coast. It is a no brained really. Beatty looked at this when he was in power, so it is nothing new. One issue with big infrastructure projects...... They cost money. This is something Queensland has none of.

Call me a cynic, but I imagine that any infrastructure projects would be concentrated where the votes are. That ain't in Nth QLD. Both parties neglect the north, I am in Brisbane twice a month and have witnessed the boom in infrastructure there over the least six or seven years. Truth is they don't really regard NQ as anything but a money producer.

In regards to Adani there will be meetings in the coming weeks in an effort to save the project. Most are pretty negative right now and believe it is about as good a chance of happening as Coldfront having breakfast with Tony Abbott. Lol.

#1307991 - 15/02/2015 10:36 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ColdFront Offline

Did you really just LOL your own joke Slippery? I agree with what you say about the neglect of the north however it should be pointed out that when the ALP were last in they funded the Southern Access Rd upgrade, Mulgrave River Bridge and $1.2Billion Cairns Hospital upgrade . Newman's mob did nothing in 3 years .Though the Southern Access Rd upgrade was signed off in the dying hours to save Pitt's backside. It worked. That's politics I guess. Newman tried to re-run on the promises he made to electorates LAST ELECTION. Then made that silly threat to withdraw support if their member wasn't returned. That never resonates well with voters.

Mick you'd have to agree that's not much of a list and pretty much an agreement to find solutions, not to actually commit anything yet. As opposed to the Katter party's basic demand that they run the state. Culling flying foxes was never going to go down well and the Lynd needs some serious planning before it is sealed. They left that area unsealed for good reason.

#1308029 - 15/02/2015 13:10 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
slipperyfish Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Wellingtons list is actually 28 points long, but most are benign local electorate stuff. The big one is Caloundra south, a massive development project about to commence. A lot of local business is counting on it to revamp trading in Caloundra. This area is not even in his electorate. He wants the government to put stipulations in regard to developer contributions which will increase the project by millions. Some of these funds are to be fed into his own electorate. The developer has already stated that if this happens they will pull the pin. A lot of people have gone into hock to ready for the increase this project will bring. Some corporate law firm has said that because this project had been signed off on already that any loss of income would result in legal action against the government. This will be interesting.

Anna has some real politics to play. Not sure she had a plan that went past having a strong opposition. I hope for all our sakes she succeeds.

CF I had to lol so I didn't split your thin skin.

#1308036 - 15/02/2015 13:21 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ColdFront Offline

Your agenda of personal attack has little to do with politics or one's standings on it. It is much more to do with your alliance to a certain geography than political. You just don't have the courage to admit it. So spare me the thin skin tripe.

Can we get back to discussing politics?

Here's some info on those projects seen as contentious .There are certainly questions that need to be asked about some of them. I doubt labor will wipe them just for the hell of it.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-new...zuk-takes-reins

#1308039 - 15/02/2015 13:42 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
slipperyfish Offline
Weatherzone Addict

It seems you only want to discuss the things YOU want to. I tried in vain to engage you yesterday in regards to financial policy but you did not wish to discuss this, no instead you put forward a link to an unashamedly left wing popularist publication.

All that said. You are correct, there are some questions. There is always a loser in these situations. If Labor can get answers to these questions ASAP that would be handy. But believing this publication would be like believing Newman over kick backs.

Politically our new premier is in the unenviable position of lying to someone. This is no surprise as they all do it. She has to side with Wellington or it is election time. That means some massive compensation payouts and losing the support of the AWU, who has come out in support of three of these contentious projects. Perhaps this will be a lesson to all opposition parties who make aimless promises and deals just for a taste of the fine wine.

Good luck premier it is going to be a rocky 12 months.

#1308044 - 15/02/2015 13:50 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ColdFront Offline

From what I can gather they are only being reviewed at this stage. I sidestepped your question yesterday because of your track record with laying down insults into the mix. I'm happy to answer anything if there is at least a margin of respect attached. I tried to re-engage the debate and you made some stupid remark about breakfast with Abbott.

At least however you can see the alleged deal with Wellington for what it is. Others cannot.

#1308597 - 17/02/2015 14:13 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ColdFront Offline

Barnett looking to blame Abbott for his state's debt issues despite having a massive minerals boom?

Doesn't bode well for claims that the LNP are good money managers.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-17/issues-facing-mps-in-wa-parliament-sitting-year-begins/6117070

#1308649 - 17/02/2015 16:37 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
Andy Double U Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mundoolun, SE QLD, 129m ASL
No idea what's been happening in WA. The Libs over there also had the chair sniffer that committed other quite questionable acts but tolerated it for a while. It's also no surprise that they're in financial strife over there, although to be fair, WA has been doing the lion's share of the heavy lifting for Australia from a revenue point of view.

In other news, Queensland's new Attorney General had this to say about Craig Thompson when they investigated him back in 2012.

Originally Posted By: No Grounds to pursue Thompson

In a statement to the House of Representatives after question time today, committee chairwoman Yvette D'Ath said the committee which holds unrivalled powers to discipline MPs for breaches of parliamentary rules had deemed there ''were no grounds for further investigation'' into Mr Thomson and Mr Kelly over the alleged failure of declarations.

(The above article is from Fairfax so you needn't worry about your firewall setting off alarm bells in Labor HQ ColdFront) grin

That should give those engaged in organised crime something to cheer about, they can 'scout's honour' their way out of anything by simply swearing that they didn't do anything wrong it seems...

#1308657 - 17/02/2015 16:43 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Andy Double U]
ColdFront Offline

WA has been doing the lion's share of the heavy lifting for Australia from a revenue point of view.

Yet still managed to balls up their surplus predictions and slide massively into debt. Telling.

Page 99 of 201 < 1 2 ... 97 98 99 100 101 ... 200 201 >

Who's Online
15 registered (Sidney, Steve777, willitrainagain, rainiac, kizz, Knot, samboz, Timbuck, Wave Rider, Max744, PaulH, Duane, niinjaniin, 2 invisible), 278 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Forum Stats
29277 Members
32 Forums
23614 Topics
1452308 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image