Page 430 of 432 < 1 2 ... 428 429 430 431 432 >
Topic Options
#1421628 - 17/04/2017 00:19 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
aussiestormfreak Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Melbourne (Belgrave); Corryong...
Glad you had a great time down on the NSW South Coast Doogasnow! I'm so envious. smile

Evening gang!

Another lovely day here in the Upper Murray yesterday. It dawned nippy, getting down to 3.0C here at Corryong, at least at the airport; it was about 5C on my thermometer when I rose to quickly check the sunrise. Khancoban, NSW meanwhile dipped to 3.7C.

The sunrise was beautiful, made all the more gorgeous by a layer of mid-level and high-level cloud from the west/northwest. I missed the best of it unfortunately, and I didn't stay outside long because it was very cold! No frost, fog or mist btw, just heavy dew and faint smoke haze. eek

The rest of the day was a split-personality. It was cloudy up until lunchtime, and I was worried that it might rain. But around 11am, the sun started breaking through the clouds, and by 3pm it was another warm, mostly sunny afternoon! smile

Again, it was noticeably cooler than the previous couple of days this weekend, making it only to about 21C. The sun had a bit of a hot sting to it, again offset by cooling breezes. Still, it was nice being outside for a couple of hours. smile

The clouds retreated east into NSW/ACT by late-afternoon, leaving us with a mostly clear, albeit hazy evening. The smoke from ongoing burn-offs in the Shelley/Koetong region to the west helped to spice up the sunset. smile

Yet another cold night coming up. Currently around 8C.

Edited by aussiestormfreak (17/04/2017 00:23)

#1421664 - 17/04/2017 20:15 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
aussiestormfreak Offline

Hi again guys. Much warmer weather across the Upper Murray today, perfect for taking an afternoon drive north across the Murray River from Corryong, Northeast Victoria out to Tumbarumba, NSW. smile

Not sure what today's low and high were for here in Corryong, but this morning it dipped to 5.6C out at Khancoban, and 3.4C at Tumbarumba. Khancoban managed to climb to about 24C this arvo, with Tumbarumba getting to about 20-21C.

No visible frost, fog, or mist this morning. Bucket loads of sunshine (again the Sun felt hot, but there was a bit of a pleasant cooling breeze), although cloud increased from the west during the afternoon. I noted some bubbly convection behind the NSW Snowy Mountains late in the afternoon (in the direction of Lake Eucumbene, Adaminaby, and Cooma), but no shower or thunderstorm activity in that area on the Canberra (Captains Flat) radar.

Again very hazy, with smoke from burn-offs still happening in the Shelley/Koetong region to the west, and again from new control burns that have commenced in the Cudgewa valley area.

Despite the haze and increasing cloudcover, we were treated to a beautiful sunset! smile

Some stunning autumn colours in and around Tumbarumba, and in nearby Maragle and Tooma! Here's a sample of what I saw: https://www.instagram.com/p/BS-wz6Qh8DQ/?taken-by=aussiestormfreak

I also got to see a small amount of snow (yes snow) on the top of the northwest-facing side of the Kosciuszko ridge! Only a couple of patches that have survived this extended warm, dry spell after the recent cold, rainy, stormy weather, but the first taste of the coming winter and snow season nonetheless. smile

Another cold night ahead, currently around 8C here in Corryong, but 13C out at Khancoban. Sad to be returning to Melbourne tomorrow, but glad I've had a great Easter here, and that there'll be more warmth on the homeward journey! smile

#1421674 - 17/04/2017 23:19 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
aussiestormfreak Offline

Amendment to my last post...

I just stepped outside to have a look at the moon, and it's actually not as cold as I thought it would be here in Corryong!

Tonight's low is forecast to be a chilly 7C, but thankfully the cloudcover is keeping the temperature at a relatively mild 13C for the time being. smile

Sorry for the mistake. I wasn't thinking straight because of my sinus, no thanks to the burn-off smoke. frown

Edited by aussiestormfreak (17/04/2017 23:21)

#1421726 - 18/04/2017 18:31 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
Petros Offline

Loc: Maffra, Central Gippsland, Vi...
Today was a perfect April day for Gippsland, calm, sunny 23.9C.

About to fire up the BBQ.

#1421739 - 18/04/2017 23:58 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
aussiestormfreak Offline

Hi guys. I'm back home in Belgrave, having returned to Melbourne from Corryong about two hours' ago. Here's my report for today. smile

The main thing to report about was the weather, which was actually a lot more interesting than I expected! Even the temperature varied a lot on the homeward journey. smile

In Corryong, the low was about 7C this morning, with an afternoon top of about 26C. Perfect!

Leaving Corryong at about 2:30pm it was about 23C, dropping down to 21C at Shelley and Koetong further west. Mostly sunny skies, although very, very hazy.

By the time we drove past Tallangatta it had warmed back up to 23C, and it it almost-completely stayed that way until we reached Beechworth just after 4pm for afternoon tea. The only exception was a "hot spot" in the Kiewa/Tangambalanga area near Albury/Wodonga, where the thermometer managed to hit 26C!! shocked

Shortly after 5:15pm, we departed Beechworth. The temperature dropped down a few notches to about 19C at Tarrawingee. Increasing high cloud from the west combined with the smoke haze to produce a brief but beautiful sunset over the Warby Ranges, timed perfectly for our southbound run down the M31 Hume Freeway (Melbourne-Sydney) at Wangaratta! smile

The temperature struggled back up to 21-22C west of Glenrowan, before falling back to 19C when we arrived in Benalla at 6pm for dinner. I noted some faint fog/mist in some of the paddocks outside town, especially in Winton.

At 7pm, we drove south on the Midland Highway from Benalla. It was pitch-dark, with mostly clear skies overhead, and virtually no wind! No sign of the moon either, so a perfect chance to see the stars until we edged closer to Melbourne's light pollution. Most of the high cloud I saw at sunset had broken up. smile

It was during this final leg of the road trip that the temperature really went crazy! Lol read on please...

Firstly it was 17-18C by the time we left Benalla, but it dropped sharply as we headed further south. At Swanpool it was 13-14C, falling to 12C as we passed Lake Nillahcootie, and finally at Maindample (west of Mansfield) it had bottomed at 9C!! eek

It warmed back up to 12C at Bonnie Doon on the shores of Lake Eildon, then dropped again to 9C at Merton, climbed up to 13C at Yarck, and then fell back slightly to 12C when we reached Yea at about 8:30pm for a quick toilet break.

Heading south on the Melba Highway towards Melbourne, it was 11C in the Yea River Valley (including Murrindindi and Glenburn). In Castella (the air was heavy and rank with the putrid stench of burn-off smoke here btw) it briefly nudged 12C, but then suddenly plunged to 9C as we drove downhill into the Yarra Valley and Melbourne metropolitan area!

Between Dixons Creek and Lilydale, the temperature fluctuated between 9C and 11C, and we drove through surprisingly heavy fog in Yarra Glen and Yering, but it was all clear beyond Coldstream. We finally entered the Melbourne metropolitan area just after 9pm.

From Lilydale onwards, the temperature fluctuated even more! It climbed to 13-14C between Mount Evelyn and Monbulk (our last stop to buy groceries), then dipped to 9C in Kallista and The Patch. The rest of the way home to Belgrave it warmed back up to 14C.

Other things worth mentioning:

1. Lots of burn-offs seen today, especially in Cudgewa and again in the Shelley/Koetong region.

2. Still plenty of lovely autumn colours up in Northeast Victoria, including in Corryong, Shelley, Yackandandah, and Beechworth.

3. Also as a surprise treat, I got to see some nice bubbly convection with showers and thunderstorms scattered along the NSW Snowy Mountains from as far south as the Dalgety/Bombala area to as far north as the Brindabella region between Tumut and Canberra! grin

Unfortunately the storms were heading north, looked weak on radar, and I only got to see them as I was leaving Corryong. But still they were impressive, with the best cells being between Tumut and Canberra btw. smile

Back here in Belgrave, it's about 13C at the last check.

#1421772 - 19/04/2017 16:57 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
chasers addict Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bendigo/ Kangaroo Flat, Vic Ra...
Why need Burn off again as during winter different type of grass grow again then burn off again late spring..

Any way felt like late Summer no winter cloths yet.

The cold upper jetstream is very far away in Southern Ocean.

Very sure is El Nino pattern effecting Australia.

#1421774 - 19/04/2017 17:21 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
Petros Offline

Another perfect April day for Gippsland, calm, sunny 24.9C.

#1421809 - 19/04/2017 23:43 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
Twister1 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Nundah Qld
Major rain event looking good for NW Vic.
15-30mm with some places more like 30-50mm prefect season opener for that part of the world after a VERY dry last 3 months.

Hope it comes off models looking good for much of West Vic

Unsettled week or so ahead.

#1421811 - 20/04/2017 00:39 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
aussiestormfreak Offline

Been very busy yesterday, so here's my weather post for the past 24 hours.

Dipped to 9.9C around sunrise, and it was chilly with a sense fog blanket here in Belgrave!

The fog lasted until 9am, and then receded into the suburbs lower down; my family and I briefly drove through it on our way down to Noble Park and Springvale.

Otherwise, apart from smoke haze and increasing high cloud, it was a hot, mostly sunny afternoon! We just managed to briefly nudge the 30C mark at lunchtime. smile

The evening has been very pleasant, hovering around 20C due to warm northerly winds, and I was able to work outside for once. The mosquitoes were a nuisance of course, so luckily I sprayed on the aeroguard! smile

Currently in bed and it's still around 19C. Looks like yesterday was my last 30C+ day for the season, and tomorrow could well be our last 25C+ day for a while too! frown

#1421825 - 20/04/2017 09:48 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
aussiestormfreak Offline

Overnight low of 19.1C, currently around 22C. Breezy, hazy, and mostly sunny.

#1421830 - 20/04/2017 11:06 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
ThunderBob Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Sarsfield, East Gippsland, Vic
About 25C here atm. Cloudless. Completely calm. Given the good rains we've had here of late - this is weather one can now savour.

#1421869 - 20/04/2017 19:37 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: ThunderBob]
samboz Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Between Maffra & the Mountains...
Originally Posted By: ThunderBob
About 25C here atm. Cloudless. Completely calm. Given the good rains we've had here of late - this is weather one can now savour.

We were sitting on the northerly facing verandah this morning TB and expressed pretty much the same sentiments.

Some smoke but rather it now than mid Jan/Feb with a hot N/W behind it.

Magnifico day !!!
Nov-61.5mm. Dec - 26mm TOTAL 2016 - 779.5MM
Rain 2017. Jan-9.5mm. Feb-23mm. March-49mm
April-40mm. May-6mm to 0900 16th.

#1421883 - 20/04/2017 23:57 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
aussiestormfreak Offline

Reached a warm, mostly sunny top of 28.3C here in Belgrave today! Pity about the smoke haze, but nice to have a bit of wind as well. Great Outdoors weather! smile

Cloud increased during the late-afternoon and evening; the rain is entering Melbourne's west from the north atm. Hopefully it spreads southeast overnight. smile

Very mild this evening, it's been hovering around 20C for at least the past six hours! Perfect for my tennis lesson after 5pm. smile

Edited by aussiestormfreak (20/04/2017 23:58)

#1421893 - 21/04/2017 09:18 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
aussiestormfreak Offline

Overnight low of 14.9C, currently around 16C. Cloudy and rainy. Collected 4.2mm in the 24 hours to 9am. smile

Highest temperature since midnight was 20.8C btw. smile

#1421900 - 21/04/2017 11:18 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
Petros Offline

Light persistent drizzle/rain has been around for an hour here so far. Calm and mild, good grass growing weather.

#1421903 - 21/04/2017 11:44 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
chasers addict Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bendigo/ Kangaroo Flat, Vic Ra...
Had another 39mm rain overnight bring well over average to 84mm

#1421926 - 21/04/2017 18:48 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
Petros Offline

Well done CA! - our persistent light rain/drizzle provided 1.5mm to my gauge today.

Conditions seem to be tending easterly here, (but calm outside atm) - hoping to pick up 5mm tonight - which would be good value onto 16C soil temp.

#1421935 - 21/04/2017 22:10 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
liberator Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Kyabram
a huge 60 mm+ in Kyabram - not sure why this last event didn't get a posting of its own.

#1421936 - 21/04/2017 22:25 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
Twister1 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Nundah Qld
Yeah why did this event not have a thread, HUGE EVENT.

MASSIVE Rainfall for Much of W, NW, SW, NC Vic

Widespread 30-50mm with many 50-70mm and a few 80-100mm all falling in a soaking 12-18 hours.
Many places had 2-4 times Months average and some wettest day in 100 years.

PREFECT EVENT for so many farmers and will give good moisture for awhile as we move into the cooler months.

NC Vic has done well again today, as upper low moved through slowly.

Amazing event

Showers cold and rain band next week

Enjoy next few warmish days as that it for months

Winter is coming

#1421938 - 21/04/2017 22:39 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
Ruckle Offline

Loc: Woodend VIC 579m ASL - where w...
Over 40mm here today, not that much in Melbourne or Gippsland so I think that would be the lack of thread, or maybe because other than EC most models didn't catch on to this one until last 48 - 60 hours or so.

Page 430 of 432 < 1 2 ... 428 429 430 431 432 >

Who's Online
7 registered (Ticktock, scott12, mysteriousbrad, bd bucketingdown, Lee@Hazo, 2 invisible), 247 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Kellly, Melanian, Peter.G, Turnip
Forum Stats
29277 Members
32 Forums
23613 Topics
1451962 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image