Page 63 of 64 < 1 2 ... 61 62 63 64 >
Topic Options
#1422985 - 09/05/2017 06:48 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
ColdFront Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Wide Bay..Near the beach
Shame it didn't bite around the front a bit further. People like that should not be allowed to breed.

#1423023 - 09/05/2017 19:01 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
ColdFront Offline

Just watched Paul De Gelder on The Project promoting the "fin for a fin" program where surfers can fit a thin that states they do not want a shark's life taken in revenge should they lose theirs.

RESPECT !!!

Great to see surfers with the courage to take responsibility for their own actions. This is a man that lost a leg and a forearm to a bull shark in Sydney Harbour a few years back when working . Yes he surfs too.

Looking forward to meeting this bloke next month. It's interesting that he mentioned some of the stuff I've been saying in here over the past few years.

#1424546 - 29/05/2017 09:00 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
scott12 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: maadi Tully area
This would give you a bit of a fright..
http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/...ocid=spartanntp

#1424742 - 30/05/2017 18:15 Re: sharks [Re: scott12]
Purnong Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Tooperang, SA
Originally Posted By: scott12
This would give you a bit of a fright..

Haha, Gotta love how casual the old fella was about it all
"Well I'll be buggered, There's a shark in me boat"

#1424798 - 31/05/2017 08:38 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
scott12 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: maadi Tully area
I suppose there was not a lot he could do about it but wait for it to stop thrashing around...

Meanwhile some statistics from the trials of shark nets around Ballina in NSW are in......consensus seems to be that around 1.5% to 4% of animal deaths are for the target species ..ie great white's....while the majority of those caught and killed include dolphins,manta rays,turtles non-dangerous sharks and other harmless marine life...

So in reality an abject failure but at least the authorities are seen to have been "doing something"...

#1425098 - 04/06/2017 11:46 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
mammatus meestrus Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: lennox head
Abject failure?
That depends on what your criteria is for success.

3 attacks in a month before the nets went in. And despite multiple white shark drumline captures and notifications on the receiver stations indicating continuing presence of white sharks, as well as the busiest period of the year over Xmas there were no attacks and no encounters reported.

Based on the criteria of protecting human beings the net trial couldn't have been a bigger and more resounding success.

#1425102 - 04/06/2017 12:31 Re: sharks [Re: mammatus meestrus]
EddyG Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: NSW Port Stephens
Originally Posted By: mammatus meestrus
Abject failure?
That depends on what your criteria is for success.

3 attacks in a month before the nets went in. And despite multiple white shark drumline captures and notifications on the receiver stations indicating continuing presence of white sharks, as well as the busiest period of the year over Xmas there were no attacks and no encounters reported.

Based on the criteria of protecting human beings the net trial couldn't have been a bigger and more resounding success.

Do you consider all the innocent marine life that were killed too a success??
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eddygroot/
YNWA

#1425103 - 04/06/2017 13:18 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Cloud Gazer

Of course not but in a 6 month trial around 140 animals died, mostly rays.
That is regrettable but far below the background level of mortality and bycatch from normal commercial fishing operations.

They should do everything possible to reduce bycatch.

#1425116 - 04/06/2017 16:09 Re: sharks [Re: mammatus meestrus]
ColdFront Offline

That is regrettable but far below the background level of mortality and bycatch from normal commercial fishing operations.

The but makes it ok then? Just because commercial fisherman kill via bycatch that makes it ok for our government to follow suit to wrap people in cotton wool?

If that's your measure of success you set a very low bar.

#1425118 - 04/06/2017 16:34 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Cloud Gazer

wrapping people in cotton wool?\\

Are you off your trolley?\\

3 attacks in a month in Ballina, 17 attacks in 2 years.
The commonwealth legislation around white sharks is designed expressly to increase their numbers. The ethics around a policy of deliberately increasing abundance of an apex, ambush predator into heavily populated coastal areas where high ocean use is a function of culture, recreation and the economy has hardly been touched upon.
But it should be.

This is hardly wrapping people in cotton wool. We are talking about employing a proven technology to reduce the risk of shark attacks in areas where they have become unacceptably high. Unacceptable to whom? to the people who live there.

The bycatch is regrettable and every measure possible should be employed to reduce it but putting it in perspective shows the amount of bycatch is very small in the scheme of things.

Edited by mammatus meestrus (04/06/2017 16:35)

#1425119 - 04/06/2017 16:38 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Cloud Gazer

My measure of success is whether the nets reduced the risk of shark attack.

No attacks, no encounters in 6 months.

So yes, I and many others around here consider that a success.

#1425120 - 04/06/2017 17:37 Re: sharks [Re: mammatus meestrus]
ColdFront Offline

Are you off your trolley?

I could ask the same of anyone that;

a) thinks people do not have to take responsibility for their own actions and accept the risk when entering the water.

b) think that adding to the already unacceptable practice of killing marine mammals is a necessary to keep said cotton wool brigade safe

and,

c) ignoring the vulnerable status of the target species and the advice of pretty much every marine expert when targeting them.

It's easy to nit pick data. Colin Barnett went and targeted these sharks and it didn't stop attacks in WA. There is a rather lengthy stream of evidence of what happens when man interferes with apex predators.

It is self righteous arrogance to put forward the argument that man is more important than every other species on earth. That's working out so well for us.

It's immensely gratifying to learn that there is a growing number of surfers taking up the fin for fin campaign rather than expecting the oceans be wiped of their apex predators so that some knuckle head can take a swim.

#1425770 - 11/06/2017 18:39 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Purnong Offline
Weather Freak

Man knocked off his boogie board by great white shark
Looks like it mouthed the board too

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-...1a19504792d25e9

#1425795 - 12/06/2017 11:39 Re: sharks [Re: mammatus meestrus]
Jax Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: WA

3 attacks in a month in Ballina, 17 attacks in 2 years.

The commonwealth legislation around white sharks is designed expressly to increase their numbers. The ethics around a policy of deliberately increasing abundance of an apex, ambush predator into heavily populated coastal areas where high ocean use is a function of culture, recreation and the economy has hardly been touched upon.
But it should be.

Yes, it should be. Many of those attacks were by white sharks only just reaching maturity and the size where larger prey is viable for their now strengthening jaws - exploratory mouthings if you like. Soon they'll start to get serious as they reach 4 metres in size and entire humans will just disappear. And there's no shortage of juvenile whites if the north coast tagging program is anything to go by. They're not endangered or vulnerable or needing protection.

You'll find it doesn't matter to the keyboard warriors in here what the people who actually use the water think. Two victims' families and one victim (my guess, no doubt to be corrected...) have "refreshingly" (...yep...) told the media they don't want to see any sharks harmed. That's conveniently ignoring the rest of the victims, their families, their friends and countless other water users who acknowledge the balance has tipped and that sharks are actually just fish with big teeth. Read back through this thread, you'll see what I mean.

#1425796 - 12/06/2017 12:04 Re: sharks [Re: ColdFront]
Jax Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: ColdFront

Colin Barnett went and targeted these sharks and it didn't stop attacks in WA. There is a rather lengthy stream of evidence of what happens when man interferes with apex predators.

It is self righteous arrogance to put forward the argument that man is more important than every other species on earth. That's working out so well for us.

It's immensely gratifying to learn that there is a growing number of surfers taking up the fin for fin campaign rather than expecting the oceans be wiped of their apex predators so that some knuckle head can take a swim.

Didn't you once have "immensely gratifying" diving and surfing experiences (...did that make you a knucklehead?) while being "wrapped in cotton wool" thanks to the "self righteous arrogance" of the fishermen keeping shark numbers down so you could do so in relatively safely? Were you slamming out insults in defense of the big fish then on your typewriter?

As for Barnett, he didn't target white sharks. He put in drumlines when they were least likely to appear, with the Leeuwin current flowing warm and strong. He didn't catch a single white shark. Facts Coldy. Please try to stick to them.

#1425798 - 12/06/2017 12:33 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
ColdFront Offline

I'm meeting with Paul De Gelder Friday. Looking forward to having a chat.

#1425812 - 12/06/2017 15:57 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Jax Offline
Weather Freak

Paul DeGelder was attacked by a bull shark in Sydney Harbour from memory. Do you mind me asking in what capacity you are meeting him Coldy?

#1425818 - 12/06/2017 16:37 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Jax Offline
Weather Freak

Looks like the fin for a fin crowdfunding campaign is struggling. With 95 backers they've only reached 11 percent of their goal target and less than two weeks to go. Obviously not quite as popular an idea as they hoped.

#1425829 - 12/06/2017 18:34 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
ColdFront Offline

#1426003 - 14/06/2017 20:36 Re: sharks [Re: terrified]
Purnong Offline
Weather Freak

Great White in the shallows, Some amazing footage here

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/b...4b0b13f2c6b2144

Page 63 of 64 < 1 2 ... 61 62 63 64 >

Who's Online
5 registered (ozthunder, Eevo, seaworthy, 2 invisible), 303 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Ree, tiz
Forum Stats
29309 Members
32 Forums
23640 Topics
1456062 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image