Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#1426473 - 22/06/2017 08:28 Re: Cold front and lots of rain ? - GFS V ACCESS 7th-11th June. [Re: samboz]
doogasnow Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: traf/moe south 410m asl/west &...
Might just about be heading for a record
Low rainfall total for June

#1426666 - 25/06/2017 23:13 Re: Cold front and lots of rain ? - GFS V ACCESS 7th-11th June. [Re: samboz]
aussiestormfreak Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Melbourne (Belgrave); Corryong...
My report for Monday June 12th 2017 (Queen's Birthday). I'm FINALLY able to get back on track with my daily weather reports! smile

My family and I left Corryong, Northeast Victoria around 2:30pm, and arrived back home in Melbourne around 9:45pm.

The whole day in Corryong was cold with heavy fog; it was barely 7C when we departed town. And based on Facebook reports from my friends back in the Upper Murray it's a safe bet to say that the fog hung around virtually all day! eek

But 20 minutes down the Murray Valley Highway, at Wabba Gap near Cudgewa, the fog finally started breaking up. Eventually as we made our way through Berringama it gave way to sunny skies (albeit with high cloud), and the temperature rose to 12C in minutes! grin

As we crossed the hills through Shelley and Koetong the high cloud retreated northeast into NSW/ACT. We briefly descended into fog once more on the approach into Bullioh around 3:10pm, but it cleared after a couple of minutes. And aside from smoke haze, plus some isolated fog patches just above the small locality of Old Tallangatta, and a thicker fog blanket over the Mitta Mitta River Valley south of Lake Hume (looking towards Lake Darthmouth and Mount Bogong), we continued to enjoy mostly sunny skies as far as Yackandandah (around 4pm).

A cold front brushing to the south then imported a layer of mid-level cloud that made it as far north as Southern NSW/ACT, according to the satellite imagery. Our first stop was at Beechworth for afternoon tea at 4:15pm. Just before leaving the historic town about 45 minutes later, we were treated to a stunner of a sunset!! =D

Around 5:20pm we joined the M31 Hume Freeway (Melbourne-Sydney) at Wangaratta; it was pitch-dark by the time we arrived in Benalla for dinner around 6pm.

In terms of the route we took our journey home from Corryong was nothing out of the ordinary, except after leaving Benalla we didn't continue back to Melbourne via the Midland Highway through Swanpool and past Lake Nillahcootie to Maindample near Mansfield, then on through Bonnie Doon, Merton, and Yarck to Yea, and finally south down the Melba Highway to the Yarra Valley and Melbourne. No sir!

We ended up doing something we haven't done in years! After assuming we'd be facing heavy traffic coming back from the snowfields and Lake Eildon, we rejoined the southbound lane of the Hume Freeway. We initially intended to only go as far as Seymour and then head back to Melbourne via Yea. But after comparing travel times on Google Maps, we decided to keep going all the way down the Hume from Seymour to the M80 Western/Metropolitan Ring Road in Thomastown. Don't know whether it was made much difference in the end, but hey it worked! smile

The temperature had been fairly consistent at about 12C from Berringama until after leaving Benalla, but the clouds started breaking up and caused the mercury to drop to around 9-10C the rest of the way home.

A few light showers rolled through between Violet Town and Euroa (around 7:30pmish), and we encountered fog in the Seymour/Tallarook area at about 8pm. I did get to see a brief moonrise at Avenel, but clouds rolled back in and made it dark and overcast as we drove south from Seymour.

Around 8:40pm, we re-entered metropolitan Melbourne at Craigieburn. Roughly 10 minutes later, we left the Craigieburn Bypass/Hume Freeway and joined the Ring Road. The last time I can recall using the Thomastown-Seymour leg of the Hume (heading either north or south) was way back in November 2013, while returning from Corryong! Oh how I've missed doing that journey. smile

In years past, whenever my family and I went to Corryong (or Merimbula and/or Canberra, or on day trips to places such as Echuca/Moama, Benalla, or Yarrawonga/Mulwala), we'd usually travel across Melbourne via the Monash and West Gate Freeways (occasionally we'd use Eastlink and the Eastern Freeway instead), followed by Citylink and the Tullamarine Freeway, before joining the Ring Road and then the Hume Freeway from there. This was usually in reverse when coming home of course lol. smile

This time around, we made a left-turn and travelled south through the Greensborough, Heidelberg, and Bulleen areas (we encountered heavy fog while crossing the Yarra River around 9pm) until we arrived onto the Eastern Freeway & Eastlink around 9:15pmish. Roughly 5 minutes later we were on the Burwood Highway heading back towards Belgrave.

Minimum and Maximum Temperatures for the day. Source: BOM

Khancoban
1.5C / 8.1C

Corryong
1.1C / 6.2C

Hunters Hill
4.4C / 10.2C

Hume Weir
3.8C / 13.4C

Albury Airport
1.9C / 15.1C

Wangaratta Airport
0.1C / 15.4C

Benalla Airport
-1.0C / 15.5C

Strathbogie
-1.1C / 14.0C

Seymour
1.0C / 13.8C

Kilmore Gap
5.2C / 12.6C

Melbourne Airport
6.9C / 16.9C

Melbourne Olympic Park
6.0C / 15.9C

Bulleen
5.0C / 16.0C

Scoresby
6.3C / 14.7C

Ferny Creek
7.4C / 10.4C

As a side note, this year I've travelled almost the entire length of the Hume Highway between Melbourne and Sydney, with the exception of the stretch between the Barton Highway Interchange at Yass and the Federal Highway Interchange at Goulburn! smile

Up until then, I had never made it further along the Hume itself than the Barton Highway Interchange of course (whenever travelling to or from Canberra), but I hope to complete the whole journey soon! It's very rare for me to travel up the Hume beyond Albury/Wodonga btw. wink

Lastly, a few slight amendments to my previous post. I just realised I entered in some incorrect weather information for Sunday June 11th 2017. Whoops, my bad, sorry! poke

Here are the corrections...

Hunters Hill
4.7C / 12.6C

Hume Weir
4.5C / 14.8C

Tocumwal Airport
2.6C / 18.7C

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Who's Online
1 registered (dormant), 265 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Roddy, sparra
Forum Stats
29315 Members
32 Forums
23644 Topics
1456612 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image