Page 18 of 19 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 >
Topic Options
#1425737 - 11/06/2017 09:47 Re: NSW - Offshore Low / Coastal Trough, with rain & showers - 6th to 11th June 2017 [Re: stat71]
Steve777 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Artarmon (Sydney North Shore)
Nice pictures ASF. You're getting better weather where you are.

Sydney looks like getting a break from the rain for a few days, no fine weather but probably more isolated showers and sunny breaks. However, it comes back again on Thursday. The pattern might finally break down early next week.

It's warm, with no sub 10 minima on the horizon for the coast.

#1425739 - 11/06/2017 11:06 Re: NSW - Offshore Low / Coastal Trough, with rain & showers - 6th to 11th June 2017 [Re: stat71]
EddyG Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: NSW Port Stephens
Was cooking Bacon & Eggs on the BBQ this morning when the sun decided to show and boy didn't it have some sting, like an early spring morning!!
Anyway had 9.3mm overnight and 1.6mm since, clouding over now and looking at the radar looks like more showers are on the way.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eddygroot/
YNWA

#1425741 - 11/06/2017 12:22 Re: NSW - Offshore Low / Coastal Trough, with rain & showers - 6th to 11th June 2017 [Re: stat71]
Wave Rider Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Wollongong and Berrima NSW
The sun was out and skies were clear here earlier this morning and in fact I thought maybe we'd get away with having a sunny day. But it's mostly cloudy here now. I doubt it will rain.

Interestingly it reached 20°C which was actually forecast but I didn't expect that.

Edited by Wave Rider (11/06/2017 12:23)

2017-18 storm total= 5
Oct 25th
Nov 6th(3), 17th

#1425743 - 11/06/2017 12:51 Re: NSW - Offshore Low / Coastal Trough, with rain & showers - 6th to 11th June 2017 [Re: stat71]
gleno71 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Australia
I'm curious as to why these upper cold pools of air seem to always linger around the eastern half of Australia? When they are in the southern ocean, instead of them tracking due east over or below Tasmania, they tend to push up north when they reach the eastern seaboard.

#1425744 - 11/06/2017 13:09 Re: NSW - Offshore Low / Coastal Trough, with rain & showers - 6th to 11th June 2017 [Re: gleno71]
Funkyseefunkydo Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: East Lake Macquarie
Originally Posted By: gleno71
I'm curious as to why these upper cold pools of air seem to always linger around the eastern half of Australia? When they are in the southern ocean, instead of them tracking due east over or below Tasmania, they tend to push up north when they reach the eastern seaboard.
stuck between jet streams?

#1425746 - 11/06/2017 13:15 Re: NSW - Offshore Low / Coastal Trough, with rain & showers - 6th to 11th June 2017 [Re: gleno71]
Seira Offline

Loc: Adelaide Hills.

My understanding is the 576-thickness contour to the N/NE of Brisbane impacts on southerly middle and upper air temperatures and dewpoints (from the southern-maritime direction). Higher-pressure systems to the SW of Sydney become “locked,” meaning upper and middle southern maritime air intrusions to the area are getting wedged between highs in the upper levels – with few options out of the scenario until the longer-wave trough to the deep south moves away further east. Topography – meaning Great Dividing Range to immediate west – can amplify this. High in SW is mostly “V” shaped. Isoheight (weather layer depth) contours reduce from the SW as well, with moisture to feed in NE of Wollongong NSW. Cool-to-cold southern maritime air meets tropical-subtropical, higher dewpoint air from the N/NE.

Hope that helps smile , my bit worth.

Edited by Seira (11/06/2017 13:18)

#1425747 - 11/06/2017 13:16 Re: NSW - Offshore Low / Coastal Trough, with rain & showers - 6th to 11th June 2017 [Re: stat71]
Wave Rider Offline

I'd say it's because of the highs in the Bight directing southerly winds up the coast and then a low in the Tasman sort of 'traps' the airmass. Not very technical but that's how I see it.

That's a very technical answer Seira and sort of what I was trying to get at I guess.

Edited by Wave Rider (11/06/2017 13:17)

2017-18 storm total= 5
Oct 25th
Nov 6th(3), 17th

#1425748 - 11/06/2017 13:19 Re: NSW - Offshore Low / Coastal Trough, with rain & showers - 6th to 11th June 2017 [Re: Wave Rider]
Seira Offline

Loc: Adelaide Hills.
Originally Posted By: Wave Rider
That's a very technical answer Seira and sort of what I was trying to get at I guess.

That's fine smile , I was trying to get it in as much layman's terms as possible.

#1425749 - 11/06/2017 13:20 Re: NSW - Offshore Low / Coastal Trough, with rain & showers - 6th to 11th June 2017 [Re: stat71]
DerekHV Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Aberglasslyn (Maitland) NSW
82mm so far out of this rain event, not to be sneezed at, even if not in the June 2007 or April 2015 categories.
Will have a look at Belmore Bridge for a more accurate representation as well.

#1425751 - 11/06/2017 14:01 Re: NSW - Offshore Low / Coastal Trough, with rain & showers - 6th to 11th June 2017 [Re: stat71]
Wave Rider Offline

That's pretty decent Derek. I notice there's been a flood warning issued for Lismore but only for minor flooding thank goodness. It was just a few months ago when they got a major flood.

Fair enough Seira, it was a good explanation. Gleno maybe another event will help you understand. Remember the heat in Jan and Feb? The highs were consistently off Brisbane directing N to NW winds into NSW and that's why it was so hot and dry.

So in short, the dominant wind direction controls the amount of cold pools or heat in an area. It's actually really quite simple when you think of it like that.

2017-18 storm total= 5
Oct 25th
Nov 6th(3), 17th

#1425752 - 11/06/2017 14:29 Re: NSW - Offshore Low / Coastal Trough, with rain & showers - 6th to 11th June 2017 [Re: Seira]
gleno71 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Seira

My understanding is the 576-thickness contour to the N/NE of Brisbane impacts on southerly middle and upper air temperatures and dewpoints (from the southern-maritime direction). Higher-pressure systems to the SW of Sydney become “locked,” meaning upper and middle southern maritime air intrusions to the area are getting wedged between highs in the upper levels – with few options out of the scenario until the longer-wave trough to the deep south moves away further east. Topography – meaning Great Dividing Range to immediate west – can amplify this. High in SW is mostly “V” shaped. Isoheight (weather layer depth) contours reduce from the SW as well, with moisture to feed in NE of Wollongong NSW. Cool-to-cold southern maritime air meets tropical-subtropical, higher dewpoint air from the N/NE.

Hope that helps smile , my bit worth.

Thanks for the explanation, much appreciated. Makes sense. Would be interesting if we didn't have a great dividing range how different the climate would be

#1425753 - 11/06/2017 14:32 Re: NSW - Offshore Low / Coastal Trough, with rain & showers - 6th to 11th June 2017 [Re: stat71]
Wave Rider Offline

I agree, it would be interesting. I think I winters would be colder overall and our summers probably hotter.

2017-18 storm total= 5
Oct 25th
Nov 6th(3), 17th

#1425754 - 11/06/2017 14:34 Re: NSW - Offshore Low / Coastal Trough, with rain & showers - 6th to 11th June 2017 [Re: Wave Rider]
gleno71 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

That's pretty decent Derek. I notice there's been a flood warning issued for Lismore but only for minor flooding thank goodness. It was just a few months ago when they got a major flood.

Fair enough Seira, it was a good explanation. Gleno maybe another event will help you understand. Remember the heat in Jan and Feb? The highs were consistently off Brisbane directing N to NW winds into NSW and that's why it was so hot and dry.

So in short, the dominant wind direction controls the amount of cold pools or heat in an area. It's actually really quite simple when you think of it like that.

Yeah mate was pretty dry in SE QLD when we had that pattern, didn't it give Sydney it's hottest summer on record? It's interesting with the cold pools, because the front's are way down south, so that's why i'm surprised the cold pools are making there way north.

#1425769 - 11/06/2017 18:31 Re: NSW - Offshore Low / Coastal Trough, with rain & showers - 6th to 11th June 2017 [Re: Jimi]
Rsav Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: Jimi
Originally Posted By: Rsav
A+ waterspouts visible from the central coast about an hr ago - reckon one would have gone on shore around palmy

Did you see any yourself? Any pics or videos?

I put one on instagram but wide iPhone lenses aren't great for catching something a couple of km away

https://instagram.com/p/BVJVnWhDdsE/

Also check my Instagram story for a video. At one stage there were two at once

Nice pic Jimi, thanks for posting. How long did it last for?

I notice the rain falling nearby. Can rain have an affect on waterspout formation?

Edited by Rsav (11/06/2017 18:31)

#1425771 - 11/06/2017 18:43 Re: NSW - Offshore Low / Coastal Trough, with rain & showers - 6th to 11th June 2017 [Re: aussiestormfreak]
Rsav Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: aussiestormfreak
Here's my report from here in Corryong, Northeast Victoria for yesterday:

According to Weatherzone and the BOM, it plunged to -1.5°C at the local airport.

I set the alarm on my smartphone for dawn at 7am in the hopes of snapping up some pics of frost and/or fog. When I peaked through the window, it looked like nothing more than just a low overcast, so I went back to sleep lol. poke

My bad! A friend of mine who lives here in town said it was sunny around 7:30am, then she saw fog roll in from the east, and then it cleared as quickly as it came! smile

Anyway...

The fog steadily retreated towards the north (in the Tooma/Tumbarumba direction) as the morning progressed, and by 1pm it was completely gone. smile

And aside from extensive high cloud, as a result of the ECL over NSW/ACT, that moved down from the northeast during the day (although it was mainly confined to the northern half of the sky), the Upper Murray enjoyed a fine, crisp, cool afternoon, with an estimated high of around 14-15°C. Thanks to the lack of wind, the Sun felt very pleasant! smile

The weather was perfect for walking, and for taking a quick mid-afternoon drive with my dad to nearby Towong on the Murray River to see some snow coated on the Kosciuszko ridge. smile

The high cloud I mentioned earlier helped to create a beautiful winter sunset over Cudgewa and the Burrowa-Pine Mountain National Park at 5pm! smile

As soon as the sunset was over I dashed back indoors, as it was getting very cold quite quickly! It was 8°C at 5:30pm and my hands were turning red; five hours later when I last checked it was 3°C. Expecting it to drop to -1°C tonight, and there is a frost warning in effect! eek

The fog/mist started forming around town at about 7:30pm btw, although it might also be smoke from all the wood heaters and outdoor fires, but it's very hard to tell in the moonlight.

Pity there wasn't as much snow on the northwest-facing side of the NSW Snowy Mountains as I had hoped. Also, the lack of good late-autumn/early-winter rainfall, combined with frequent severe frosts, has meant that many of the pastures across the Upper Murray are dry and brown. frown

On a more positive note, even this deep into winter there is some isolated leftover autumn colour around town! grin

Some pics I took yesterday:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVJIbmthvgp/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVJJiNnheDb/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVJuebLB39a/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVJwrwYBcM7/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVJy7g-Bwbs/

Nice pics there asf. Beautiful part of the world.

Have you ever driven up Mt Mittamatite? Great views of the Snowies from up there at Embery's Lookout: http://www.uppermurraybusinessdirectory.com.au/Mt.Mittamatite-Regional-Park.html

#1425772 - 11/06/2017 18:44 Re: NSW - Offshore Low / Coastal Trough, with rain & showers - 6th to 11th June 2017 [Re: stat71]
Homer Offline

Loc: Dural

#1425773 - 11/06/2017 18:48 Re: NSW - Offshore Low / Coastal Trough, with rain & showers - 6th to 11th June 2017 [Re: Homer]
Wave Rider Offline

Originally Posted By: Homer

But not so good for the citizens of Murwillumbah, Lismore, Grafton et al.

I bet ASF has been there, 'cause he's been everywhere man!!

2017-18 storm total= 5
Oct 25th
Nov 6th(3), 17th

#1425774 - 11/06/2017 18:49 Re: NSW - Offshore Low / Coastal Trough, with rain & showers - 6th to 11th June 2017 [Re: Rsav]
Jimi Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Cammeray
A+ waterspouts visible from the central coast about an hr ago - reckon one would have gone on shore around palmy

Did you see any yourself? Any pics or videos?

I put one on instagram but wide iPhone lenses aren't great for catching something a couple of km away

https://instagram.com/p/BVJVnWhDdsE/

Also check my Instagram story for a video. At one stage there were two at once

Nice pic Jimi, thanks for posting. How long did it last for?

I notice the rain falling nearby. Can rain have an affect on waterspout formation?

I think they're often associated with showers. The one I took a photo of was the better of the two we saw. I can't believe it wasn't seen by more people. It lasted about 10 mins before it went out of view (by that stage it was dying). It gradually improved up until the photo and then started to lose the funnel all the way to the water in the final two minutes (but there was still disturbance at water level)

#1425775 - 11/06/2017 18:50 Re: NSW - Offshore Low / Coastal Trough, with rain & showers - 6th to 11th June 2017 [Re: Wave Rider]
Homer Offline

Loc: Dural

Oh, I agree!! Only months after they were hit hard, another forecast like this could be tough.

#1425778 - 11/06/2017 19:16 Re: NSW - Offshore Low / Coastal Trough, with rain & showers - 6th to 11th June 2017 [Re: Wave Rider]
EddyG Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: NSW Port Stephens

WR Have you been to Byron Bay before, if not you should, good for a young party animal like yourself!! poke

Hopefully that amount of rain is confined to the coast.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eddygroot/
YNWA

Page 18 of 19 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 >

Who's Online
7 registered (Flowin, DDstorm, MOUNTAIN h2o, BrightonBreeze, aussiestormfreak, 2 invisible), 236 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
haras, TheAnt
Forum Stats
29401 Members
32 Forums
23726 Topics
1468984 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image