Page 202 of 203 < 1 2 ... 200 201 202 203 >
Topic Options
#1425057 - 03/06/2017 17:24 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
RC Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: near Rockhampton, Qld
Originally Posted By: ColdFront
[
He made the decision to get involved in a lie about WMD's. That will always be his legacy.

I am not sure Howard has a legacy. He was not much of a leader. good at playing politics to get back into government, but not good for the country. Those that followed him were worse. Rudd, Gillard etc.

What does this country have to show for itself these days?

#1425060 - 03/06/2017 18:32 Re: Australian Politics [Re: RC]
Brett Guy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
Originally Posted By: RC
[
He made the decision to get involved in a lie about WMD's. That will always be his legacy.

I am not sure Howard has a legacy. He was not much of a leader. good at playing politics to get back into government, but not good for the country. Those that followed him were worse. Rudd, Gillard etc.

Not much unfortunately. Pollies that are controlled by the 24hr cheesy news cycle and are left unable to even contemplate making true long term decisions that are in the best interests of the country.

#1425062 - 03/06/2017 18:38 Re: Australian Politics [Re: RC]
ColdFront Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Wide Bay..Near the beach
Originally Posted By: RC
[

You raise a valid point ,particularly with Howard and Rudd.

#1425093 - 04/06/2017 11:09 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ozone doug Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Roma SW QLD Eye to the S Wes...
Well i am still glad i am in Australia .Rather than UK ,EU and the US.

#1425113 - 04/06/2017 15:32 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Between Bundy and Gladstone
I had a good belly laugh over this article.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2017-06-04/how-do-you-choose-a-good-gp/8578928

I know in town that nearly every practice is not taking new patients. Son had a minor illness requiring antibiotics and trying to get him into a doctors was a joke. I ended up getting him an appointment a week later.

Luckily for him he is on the books of 2 doctors practices in town. One a place that has half a doz doctors and our family gp we have seen for years. Unfortunately for him our family gp only works 3 days a week and can be hard for him to get into given his working hours.

Last week he sliced his leg open and needed stitches. The big practice couldn't possibly see him till the next day. Luckily it was on one of the 3 days our gp works and he fronted up and had to wait all of 15 mins before she sewed him up.

We have a chronic shortage of doctors in rural Australia. Another thing the govt should look at solving.

#1425126 - 04/06/2017 19:29 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
RC Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Bundybear you would be amazed if you were to learn what the government pays locum doctors. There is no incentive to become a permanent doctor in a regional area, in fact it is the opposite.

Doctors are off limits though in the political world.

Edited by RC (04/06/2017 19:30)

#1425144 - 05/06/2017 08:48 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ozone doug Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Our local doctors are flat out open a 4.45 am which is handy and take the time to discuss things rather than getting you out quick as in the city, local hospital is pretty good .Don't have to wait to long 1/2 hour maybe unless there is a full on emergancy. I do remember waiting up to 7hrs in the city a few times. So i am happy here in Roma any appointment including centrelink is never a long wait,Guess we are lucky here.

Edited by ozone doug (05/06/2017 08:53)
Edit Reason: 25% more

#1425147 - 05/06/2017 09:23 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ozone doug]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Between Bundy and Gladstone
Originally Posted By: ozone doug
Our local doctors are flat out open a 4.45 am which is handy and take the time to discuss things rather than getting you out quick as in the city, local hospital is pretty good .Don't have to wait to long 1/2 hour maybe unless there is a full on emergancy. I do remember waiting up to 7hrs in the city a few times. So i am happy here in Roma any appointment including centrelink is never a long wait,Guess we are lucky here.

It was like that when we lived in Cloncurry. You could always get an appt with the gp of your choice the same day.

The local hospital was great. It was only over the road from me and one night I fronted after having had a migraine for 4 days and vomiting. It had finally gotten so bad that I decided I did need a doctor. Within 10 minutes they had decided I was staying the night. I popped home grabbed my pillow and book and returned for the night.

The Mount Isa hospital was great. My daughter needed a pediatrician when it was suspected and later confirmed that she might be epileptic. Rang to make the appt and asked how long it would take to get a private appt since knowing in Brisbane it would be much quicker. I could get one the next week. Asked about the public one. I could have an appt the day before the private one.

For some reason I don't understand the system outback was far superior to here on the coast. Maybe the system to recruit doctors outback is better than on the coast?

I do understand though why the ER dept here gets clogged with people who should be seeing a gp instead but lob there when they simply cannot get an appt. Perhaps having a gp on hand to see these people would help?

#1425148 - 05/06/2017 09:47 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ozone doug Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I think the city is shear numbers as the ambulances are ramping every day I see it on a paging system i can watch on my computer linked to a radio receiver ,Should have see it when swine flue hit it was scary.. Also Our local doctors back up the hospital when there is a major incident . I think the town being the right size too helps a lot.

#1425272 - 06/06/2017 15:06 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Blue Bay N.S.W

{removed offensive post} Knot, this forum does not tolerate that form of offensive posting, please refrain from posting comments like that again or you will face a ban. if you wish to post in this thread, keep the comments on topic, clean and avoid posts that designed to troll.
thank you,
Mick

Edited by Mick10 (06/06/2017 21:52)

#1425290 - 06/06/2017 18:34 Re: Australian Politics [Re: bundybear]
ColdFront Offline

Originally Posted By: bundybear
Originally Posted By: ozone doug

It was like that when we lived in Cloncurry. You could always get an appt with the gp of your choice the same day.

The local hospital was great. It was only over the road from me and one night I fronted after having had a migraine for 4 days and vomiting. It had finally gotten so bad that I decided I did need a doctor. Within 10 minutes they had decided I was staying the night. I popped home grabbed my pillow and book and returned for the night.

The Mount Isa hospital was great. My daughter needed a pediatrician when it was suspected and later confirmed that she might be epileptic. Rang to make the appt and asked how long it would take to get a private appt since knowing in Brisbane it would be much quicker. I could get one the next week. Asked about the public one. I could have an appt the day before the private one.

For some reason I don't understand the system outback was far superior to here on the coast. Maybe the system to recruit doctors outback is better than on the coast?

I do understand though why the ER dept here gets clogged with people who should be seeing a gp instead but lob there when they simply cannot get an appt. Perhaps having a gp on hand to see these people would help?

My parents rave about their local hospital in West Gippsland at Foster. They treat them like royalty. Must be a rural / regional thing.

#1425293 - 06/06/2017 19:07 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
Brett Guy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
never had a problem in Cairns and my old man is going through his last few months of cancer and getting great service in hobart. The one thing I did note down there (as I am sure happens everywhere) was when I had to run him into emergency(after we called his GP after hours and were informed the symptoms demanded hospital) and we had to wait while a bunch of wankers with sniffles and a stubbed toe were assesed first. Not the fault of the hospital, just the idiot patients.

#1425587 - 08/06/2017 18:54 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ColdFront Offline

So Pauline Hanson has placed a court injunction on the ABC to stop it releasing anymore taped conversations?

Nothing to hide huh?

Perhaps she thinks trying to force a $600 Million cut on the broadcaster may make the "please X plane" debacle go away? I'd sooner a clear Liberal majority than this muppet having any influence on either of the major parties.

Maybe she and Ashby can share a cell with the Ipswich mayor?

#1425817 - 12/06/2017 16:35 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
RC Offline
Weatherzone Addict

So Pauline Hanson has placed a court injunction on the ABC to stop it releasing anymore taped conversations?

Nothing to hide huh?

I doubt anyone can really have an issue with it, unless they think every political party conversation should be made on the public record, including cabinet discussions.

#1425828 - 12/06/2017 18:30 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ColdFront Offline

I have no issue with any recordings of politicians from any political party being made public if there is already evidence of intention to defraud their candidates or the public.

#1426223 - 18/06/2017 10:37 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Warrigal, NSW, Australia
Households will pay up to $400 more for power because of the rising cost of wholesale electricity

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/ns...ab1b3584262517c

That glorious free market in action again, where everyone is a winner, at least that is what we were told when the electricity was privatised. If you are like NSW you even have around 3 corporate steps from generation to the time the electricity actual hits your home. See 3 steps = 3 profit points = everyone is a winner !

Meanwhile the state government is shirking its social responsibilities by letting welfare agencies pick up the can for people who cannot pay their power bills (how dare they try to keep warm).

Eveyone's a winner !

...................even our friends overseas.

Aussie households begin subsidising Asian power bills

https://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2017/06/aussie-households-begin-subsidising-asian-power-bills/

Everyone's a winner, baby, that's the truth (yes, the truth)

#1426268 - 19/06/2017 10:49 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Warrigal, NSW, Australia
Another interesting article about "electrickery"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-19/why-youre-about-to-pay-through-the-nose-for-power/8629090

Why you're about to pay through the nose for power

I do not necessarily agree with the article.

My own opinion is that privatising power generation was the number 1 problem.

Quick profits and no investment on new power generation. There is a sack, plunder, cut and run mentality in some corporations, and the privatised power industry is probably the worst example.

I am not against a percentage of coal generation (having worked 10 years in a past life in a power plant control room). And several new stations should have been commissioned, but not.

You can ague that greenies are to blame, but I am sure if you were to build a new coal power station in Wollongong / Port Kembla it would be welcomed by 75% of people.

#1426274 - 19/06/2017 11:56 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ColdFront]
Locke Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Brisbane
No investor in their right mind would build a new coal power plant now when faced with the prospect of having to keep it open for a further 3 years if it became unprofitable.

Instead we'll have companies like Adani that will mine massive amounts of our coal to export to India where currently there are some massive new coal power plants under construction.

#1426279 - 19/06/2017 14:25 Re: Australian Politics [Re: Locke]
Red Watch Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Townsville
Maybe we need some of these solar farms that generate power 24/7 with molten salt out west and there is even portable versions for rooftops.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/peek-inside-nevada-solar-plant-247-power-molten-salt/
http://reneweconomy.com.au/molten-salt-s...ka-prize-99882/

#1426292 - 19/06/2017 18:07 Re: Australian Politics [Re: ozthunder]
Nerd65 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Cranbrook, Townsville
Originally Posted By: ozthunder
Everyone's a winner, baby, that's the truth (yes, the truth)
You never fail to satisfy... ;-)

Page 202 of 203 < 1 2 ... 200 201 202 203 >

Who's Online
11 registered (EddyG, Donzah, Keethy, Jet entrance, Snowies, Steve777, snowforus, DaveM, willitrainagain, PeteM, 1 invisible), 284 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Darumbal, SteveD
Forum Stats
29298 Members
32 Forums
23627 Topics
1454325 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image