I've posted this elsewhere but will post it here as well since some people in other states might be interested.

The next EC upgrade is still on track to become operational from the 12z run tomorrow (Tuesday).

This will be followed by the next GFS upgrade next Wednesday.

Over the last month or so, I've been comparing the upgraded pre-operational EC version with the current version for 24hr precip for our region (I haven't looked at the upgraded ensemble version yet though).
To me at least, the upgraded version seems to be a bit LESS accurate (and more erratic) in placement and intensity of rainfall for this region.
But that's from a subjective point of view and it only includes a small sample size (mainly stratiform rain) so I don't know if this will be the same over the coming months or for thunderstorms.

The objective skill stats from when it's been undergoing trials suggest that on average, the majority of parameters such as temps, winds, etc at various levels have shown some improvement for various regions of the world including AU/NZ while some have remained unchanged or deteriorated slightly such as in the tropics.
TC track performance was very slightly improved at short range while TC intensity has tended to be a bit lower which shows up as an improvement at longer ranges.

The deep convection scheme has also been upgraded.

Some other technical details of the changes to the model below including the use of more sounding data from extra satellite sensors:

" Assimilation
Improved humidity background error variances directly from the EDA like for all other variables.
Revised wavelet filtering of background error variances and revised quality control of drop-sonde wind observations in 4DVAR to improve tropical cyclone structures.

Observations
Increased use of microwave humidity sounding data by adding new sensors (SAPHIR, GMI 183 GHz channels).
Activation of 118 GHz channels over land from MWHS-2 instrument on-board FY-3C.
Harmonised data usage over land and sea-ice for microwave sounders (adding MHS channel 4 over snow, adding some ATMS channels, lower observation errors for MHS data over land).
Improved screening of infrared observations for anomalously high atmospheric concentrations of hydrogen cyanide (HCN) from wildfires.
Improved quality control for radio occultation observations and radiosonde data.

Model
New, more efficient radiation scheme with reduced noise and more accurate longwave radiation transfer calculation.
New aerosol climatology based on ‘tuned’ CAMS aerosol re-analysis including dependence on relative humidity.
Increased super-cooled liquid water at colder temperatures (down to -38C) from the convection scheme.
Visibility calculation changed to use ‘tuned’ CAMS aerosol climatology. "