Page 128 of 129 < 1 2 ... 126 127 128 129 >
Topic Options
#1428383 - 18/07/2017 22:47 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Okey dokey.

Been watching several EQ recording websites today. Indonesia, Japan and Oaxaca [Mexico] came up with M4+ earthquakes after Peru's M6.7. The Global Incident Map/EQ's is not showing these quakes.

In my last post I answered 'yes' to Mad Elf's question as to whether there will be another larger [M6+] quake possibly coming up in another location. I still feel that this is a possibility. It doesn't need to come up in the same time-frame [e.g. 12-24 hours] as the large one in eastern Russia [east of Kamchatka]. Sometimes these quakes M6+ come up in three's and occasionally lots of 4's after a large quake. The energy coming off the large quakes may niggle other locations to move as well, or the energy causing the large quake may also be lurking in other locations. [my opinion only].

There was a small water disturbance with the Russian quake. Apparently there was a 6 inch increase in the water level [tide level].

Hawaii has started to come up with a bit of a run on tremors. I will relate this to the larger movement in the NW Pacific [Russia] and the activity on the western side of the U.S.A..

Now, the buoys all along the Aleutian Islands chain went off with the quake in Russia today. Sooo, I will go out on a limb here and say that I think that nearly the whole of the plate edge along this vast region may have had varying degrees of movement.

The Cascadia, as I have nattered about before, is responding to what I see as a moderately predictable pattern of feeling offshoots of energies from the western side of the U.S. and Alaska [to it's north]. There may be a possibility of an M4+ in the Cascadia region in the near term though.

Baja, California has come up with a tremor. The tremors are spotting in a southerly movement there towards the Gulf of California.

There are, of course, other tremors coming up around the globe [smaller ones]. A moderate tremor may come up somewhere to marry in with the action in the Pacific.

For now, Duck.

#1428542 - 20/07/2017 19:18 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
Have felt a couple of tremors over the last two days, here in northern Sydney. Neither was recorded on the GA website, or very obvious on the Daleh logs. I have a gut feeling there is a bit of movement all over the Sydney basin at the moment... standing by for more action in the next few weeks, Newcastle/offshore Forster or Picton? Just feeling edgy, and noticing some dogs 'going off' more than usual.

#1428548 - 20/07/2017 20:16 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi perrywinkle and all.

It does not surprise me that you may be feeling some small movements perrywinkle. There have been a few recorded tremors south, SW and SE [offshore] of you in the last 7 days - see Geoscience here.

There have been/are tremor clusters in two particular locations in Oz. The current one is WA [Corrigin] and NSW [Boorowa]. Clustering is interesting, as it 'tells' me that there is ongoing fault activity [well that's pretty obvious] and a continual driver [for the period of the clusters] of energy coming in from somewhere. SA may end up coming up with several small tremors in the near future too, maybe not clustering in one location, but several spots/locations coming up with movements.

I know this will sound dippy, but I woke up suddenly very early this morning after seeing [in my dream/sleep's eye] an M5 come up in Bass Strait, or very close to or on the southern coast of Victoria. SW of Philip Island possibly. But it was a dream and hopefully that's all dippy Duck's thoughts/dream was here.

The M6 for the Pacific I was anticipating for after a 12-24 hours period from the other larger quakes in the pacific, came up east of Japan. I thought there may have been another one too in this time frame, but that hasn't happened so far [for the Pacific].

Anyway for the time being I'll leave it here, even though there is always more to natter on about.

Cheers, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (20/07/2017 20:17)

#1428572 - 21/07/2017 10:25 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Huge quake in Greek islands!

#1428575 - 21/07/2017 11:29 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Mad Elf #1.5 Online   content
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Hallen QLD
Interesting activity last 48hrs or so, all over the place. Latest 2 x 6.7 near Turkey/Greece as mentioned by perrywinkle above.
Indication something big about to happen or stress relief?

Edited by Mad Elf #1.5 (21/07/2017 11:31)

#1428598 - 21/07/2017 18:25 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Mad Elf #1.5 Online   content
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Hallen QLD
Anyone watching global incidents map last 9 hrs since Turkey/Greece, is it usually this active, dozen tremors greater 4.5?

#1428604 - 21/07/2017 20:23 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Mad Elf #1.5]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Mad Elf, perrywinkle and all.

The momentum for all of the current quakes appears to be 'global'. It all seemed to start [though with a minor lag to start with] with the larger quake in the NW of the Pacific [Russia] recently.

Watching the quakes currently coming up on the global maps, there appears to be a 'trend' of concerted activity in the Pacific, which then travels [seems to] west through Indonesia and across to the NE of the Indian Ocean. From there, quakes can pop up either along the Himalayas or into Pakistan [and/or surrounding countries] and through to the Mediterranean. But....sometimes, I feel, the energy causing a run of quakes like this can be from a 'push' from the southern part of the planet - up into the plates of the southern hemisphere - and in and under the southern parts of the Asian continents and the northern edges of the Mediterranean Seas. [I hope that made sense].

I actually 'knew' [felt it in my bones] that that region of Greece/Turkey was going to be the location of a larger quake. In my mind's eye I saw a triangle of sorts from the locations in the Pacific of the bigger quakes - lining up with Greece/Turkey. Sadly, the Greece/Turkey quake has taken the lives of two people and injured many more. They also got inundated on the coast by a tsunami, which has caused some flooding issues.

There may be a chance of another large quake in the mix of current movements. If this doesn't occur. it could be because the current energy creating the current quakes is being dissipated across the planet in a sort of bell-ringing effect - where the energy causing the initial larger movement/s has possibly irritated some close and distant regions -causing them to move too. If this is what is happening the energy may fizzle somewhat. Some people [and some scientists] don't believe that this can happen - but I feel that it is a possibility, though not a definite.
On the odd occasion - we can be caught by surprise by another large quake - just when we think things are settling down....

My mind's eye is tending towards Japan atm., for a possible M6 or slightly larger....but could be wrong.

For the moment, Duck.

#1428607 - 21/07/2017 20:40 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again. I meant to add to my last post just before, that the consistent activity in the Mediterranean, with all of the M4's etc., are movements associated with the large quake in Greece/Turkey today.
This may go on for some time. The location of the Russian large quake is still moving too.

Cheers, Duck.

#1429416 - 31/07/2017 19:54 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks. I haven't fallen of the edge of the planet or left the company of your good selves. I have been really crook and a close family member passed. So my focus has been elsewhere for the last week or so.

Just having a squiz at the EQ maps of the last 24 hours till now, the energy driving the quakes is very general [across the planet] at the moment.

The U.S. offshore of Calfornia came up with the m% I thought it may finally. I was waiting for this region [SW of Eureka] to 'give' with all of the movements in the U.S., Mexico and Alaska. The next region which may come up with an M5'ish could be the Cascadia region west of Canada.

I don't know why. but I keep thinking of Haiti region. I am wondering if they may come up with an M5'ish at some point.

There was a tsunami in the Caribbean recently. The authorities don't think it was due to a quake or volcanic activity, but an underwater landslide. The behaviour of the water on the shore line was strange. Not your 'typical' tsunami as we normally see it. The pristine waters were very muddy.

Overall, the current quake activity [quake size] is rather uniform. This may be a general energy throwing itself around the planet and end up reverting back to M5's just coming up in a lesser number of regions, and/or end up with the energy setting off a decent shift somewhere with an M7'ish.

I reckon there may be a sea based quake which could be a problem waterwize [behaviour - current changing affecting the coastlines of several countries....but could be wrong.

Anyway, I am a bit out of touch at the moment due to not following and focusing on the energy movements on the planet. So I hope I can be more specific or interesting in the future.

Cheers for now, Duck.

#1429687 - 03/08/2017 18:28 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

The tremor in Victoria [near Bairnsdale] 90 minutes ago was not a surprise to me. Australia has come into a slight run of tremors currently. A little earlier this arvo, we had a very slight rattle here and a picture on top of a cabinet fell and broke [glass]. Couldn't find any record of that movement on the Geoscience maps, but it definitely was a small movement. QLD came into tremor picture yesterday and Tassie is the only state in Australia at the moment which hasn't recorded a tremor.
In a recent post I said I had a crazy dream that Bass Strait may come up with a tremor....it may still happen [maybe not in the current time frame - but this year?]

Yet again, many of the larger tremors [of all the movements across the planet at the moment] occurring across the globe are averaging M4.5. To my knowledge, there has been nothing larger than that [general size] in the last 10 hours or so.

I am currently looking for land in the volcanic regions of Victoria [SE]. May not move till next year. I would like to pick a location where I can set up my own seismo. I do have a location in mind, but am waiting for land [& house] to become available. Should be fun - though might become obsessed with it smile

Anyway, still not very focused this week, but I hope all will be back on track from this weekend.

Cheers for now, Duck.

#1429951 - 06/08/2017 17:28 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

M 5.1 Earthquake just near Wolfe Creek Meteorite Crater, WA, today.

#1430272 - 09/08/2017 17:34 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Perrywinkle and all.

Been a while, but I'll do a mini catch-up.

Australia;

We Have come into a new period recently/currently where tremors are popping up in nearly every state and territory. I said a while back that I felt [well actually had a silly dream] that an M5 may come up in Bass Strait. Of course this hasn't happened, but an M5 came up in the Sturt Creek [WA] instead. A tremor came up near Bass Strait [M2] near Foster [Vic] - so this region may be hinting at another movement at some point....?

It was a matter of time before Australia was going to feel another M5. Given the ongoing activity around the plate edges of Australia, I was waiting for an M5 to come up. Some of our tremors have been in less than 'usual' locations, and yet some have come up in 'regular' [those usually prone to the odd tremor] locations.

In a previous post I mentioned the Bairnsdale 'tremor' [Vic] was one which didn't surprise me. But, apparently this 'tremor' was a quarry/other explosion. A bit disconcerting for the folks who felt it as an M2 and reported it though.

The Merino [Vic] tremor is reasonably close to Mount Gambier [SA]. It was also getting somewhat close to Bass Strait.

A curious initial recording of an M3'ish came up recently offshore near the Dampier Peninsula [WA NW]. Not long after its recording it went off the map.

We don't want any tremors in Vic/NSW Alps which may help set off more avalanches.

Other regions;

Yet to do a catch up, but am aware of the larger [M6'ish] quakes and other smaller ones which have occurred recently. The Kazakhstan larger quake was quite dangerous.

The Pacific may come up with a M6 - general feeling is for the western Pacific from Kermadecs [north of NZ] - including a potential spot anywhere including the countries and trenches on the western side of the Pacific up through to Kamchatka [Russia].

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (09/08/2017 17:35)

#1430451 - 11/08/2017 21:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Well an M6 did come up on the western side of the Pacific [Philippines] as I felt it would. I didn't specifically state that it would be the Philippines of course, but I knew that a larger quake was going to come up somewhere in the west.

There was a curious 'line' of M5's from the western side of the Pacific - all the way through to near the eastern Mediterranean in the last 24 hours. It looked like they may have been somewhat related in energy drive.

The western coastal region of Canada snuck in a few tremors and one M5 western Oregon as well. I feel that the Cascadia general region has responded with tremors, as I have talked about in the past, with the energy possibly being driven in by the west coast of the U.S. and Alaska - sort of like pressured between these two regions.

Australia is still coming up with tremors - with the latest one in NSW [Sydney region].
I have seen some folks in my region [on FB] mentioning they felt a small movement around here, and I would have to agree with them. Though I don't think it was obvious enough to be recorded formally.

The New Madrid general region in the U.S. is still niggling with tremors. The San Andreas and her sister faults are irritated currently. An M5 may possibly come up offshore of the western U.S. at some point. For some reason my mind's-eye is drawn to Nevada for an M4'ish...??

The Scottish Highlands had an M3 recently, which was the largest tremor they have had for a while.

For now, Duck.

#1430930 - 16/08/2017 19:47 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

The EQ activity has been a bit all over the place at the moment. There seems to be a generalized affect across the globe at the moment too - meaning the regular locations for quakes are coming up - e.g. Japan, Alaska, Indonesia [including NE Indian Ocean locations],around the Pacific Islands, South America, western China, and so on.

The Atlantic Ridge has thrown up a few M5's lately. For some reason the Canary Islands region is sticking in my mind for an M4+...?

There was another meteotsunami [??], this time in Brazil and Uruguay a few days ago. The behaviour of the sea retreat was similar to the precursor of a tsunami. Even when the sea came back in again, it seemed to gently come back, but with a couple of curious little waves here and there. Some folks ran for their lives, thinking it was the beginning of a problem tsunami, but that wasn't the case - thank goodness. It had not been attributed [by authorities] as quake related, but can't come up with an explanation for it [to my knowledge]. If I remember correctly, there was a quake [not large] to the far SSE of that location/s recently. For some obscure reason, I am thinking there may be some volcanic activity or shelf activity possibly in that SSE region....???

The U.S. is still rocking along with many small tremors on the e=western side, with Yellowstone region still coming up with tremors. I was watching the Old Faithful geyser recently [around the times of the tremors] and it was puffing like a steam train - along with other geysers letting of steam in the region. It looked like there was quite an amount of energy lurking in the overall Yellowstone region.

The St. Lawrence waterway [border of eastern Canada and the U.S.], which I have talked about way in the past, started to niggle with tremors again recently. They may go on to feel another small tremor.

I think the western Pacific may come up with an M6+ soon. It may be around the Japanese Island regions or near Vanuatu/Fiji/eastern Indonesia. Another decent tremor may come up in the eastern Mediterranean. Gibraltar may come up with an M3.

Australia has not finished its latest run of tremors. There have been a few tremors close to shores in Queensland [specifically], which I see as a curiosity in that most of our tremors are on land. There has been , therefore, a minor increase in offshore/coast tremors in the last 30 days. I still have the corner of my eye on Bass Strait and/or the Great Australian Bight.

But if course, I could be wrong with what I've anticipated [above]. Will wait and see if my 'radar' is back on track at all. wink

For now, old Duck.

#1431272 - 19/08/2017 21:41 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Well I was a bit off [location] in regards to suspecting that the Canary Islands may feel an M4+. It turns out that the energy focused on and near Ascension Island well to the south along/near the Atlantic Ridge with a decent M6+.

Fiji region came up with the M6 I was anticipating for one of the locations:
Quote:
I think the western Pacific may come up with an M6+ soon. It may be around the Japanese Island regions or near Vanuatu/Fiji/eastern Indonesia.

There were 3 tremors in a 'line' east of Oklahoma - along the New Madrid fault line? This, if it was the New Madrid, is a fault line I have had half an eye on for a while.

Close to the St Lawrence waterway [in U.S. near border with Canada - east] came up with the tremor I was also anticipating.

As I felt also may occur, Australia is still in a current run on tremors. Geoscience records here

There appears to be agitation along the Izu Trench, and along the stretch towards New Zealand. NZ has come up with a [not surprising] M4.4 which follows on from the Kermadecs to the north, which came up with a decent movement prior to the near Palmerston North [NZ] tremor [M4.4].

Hawaii has come up with an M4 to 'marry up' [in my mind] with the activity to its far west and far east [U.S.].

Central America has been sneaking in a couple of M4+'s. This general region [somewhere] may come up with an M5+.

In my last post I said;
Quote:
The U.S. is still rocking along with many small tremors on the e=western side, with Yellowstone region still coming up with tremors.

I meant to type "western" but my trigger keyboard finger went berserk smile

Anyway, there are more places which have had tremors and will - that I haven't mentioned here. Some I have suspected may do so [like the eastern Mediterranean] and others I have thought might but didn't mention.

For now, Duck.

#1432002 - 28/08/2017 08:33 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks. Can't believe it has been a week since my last post blush Have been quite busy with other stuff.

Anyway, Australia's tremors have been interesting to watch come up, particularly in Tasmania. The south east coast has had two tremors, which in my mind, may be somewhat related to the M5.5 which came up north of Macquarie Island [SW off the lowest tip of NZ South Island - and way SE of the east coast of Tassie].
The NT and Queensland are the only states/territory which haven't apparently come up with a tremor in the last 7 days.
Yet again, generally speaking, the southern half of our continent is the most active with tremors.
I am still waiting for the possibility for some énergy'to show up in Bass Strait or maybe the Great Australian Bight at some stage.

The west of the Pacific has behaved [with quakes] as I felt it would. This includes an M6+ I anticipated in current times - which was around PNG and Fiji.

Generally, the only other regions I have been occasionally watching in the last 7 days, are those in the U.S.. A run of tremors came up within the region of the new Madrid - in rather quick succession recently. The west coast is a regular rattler with small tremors and Yellowstone is sporadically coming up with tremors - occasionally sneaking in an M3ísh.

The Mediterranean may be having several very small tremors [not showing up on Global Map], with the odd M4+ coming up [not as many as other runs in the past]. An M5+ may come up soon.

Hopefully my next post [with more observations] will be in less than 7 days smile

Cheers for now, Duck.

#1432489 - 02/09/2017 11:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Australia has been 'rocking'along quite nicely lately. But one tremor I found particularly curious, was the one reported in South Australia this morning, which has now been removed from the formal record on Geoscience - as they felt it wasn't an earthquake.

This sparked my curious mind and my first thought when I heard it had been discarded as a tremor, was that the earthquake type behaviours that many folks felt, may have been due to atmospheric changes. Now, this was my initial thought and instead of seeming to be some sort of 'expert'on earthquake activity [which I am certainly not wink ] I thought I would do a very brief search of my suspicions [re: the potential of the atmosphere causing some earth movement]. Soooo, I came across the following link. The pdf I wanted to have a look at is not available now, but I will quote the paragraph I was interested in below, prior to the link to the article.

Quote:
New evidence (pdf) shows that atmospheric low pressure systems can prompt the landslide to lurch downward. Pressure drops when warm daytime air results in low "tides," or when fast-moving storms race onto the scene. The effect on landslides and earthquakes only occurs when the pressure plummets suddenly, causing underground water and air to shoot toward the surface.

That reduces friction between grinding subterranean plates, or under a landslide that's been held immobile by abrasive dirt and rocks.

"Slides, earthquakes, glaciers, volcanic eruptions -- all of these things involve soil sliding on soil, or rock sliding on rock," explains William Schulz, a research scientist at the U.S. Geological Survey and the author of a study published this month in the journal Nature Geoscience. "And sliding is resisted primarily by one thing, and that's friction." - The New York Times - Energy and Environment

New York Times - source of article

I also had a look at wyndyty to see what the air pressure readings may have been at the time of the tremor people felt [at about 3am this morning?]. There seems to be a possible [from my amateur observation] chance of an air pressure change at that time - but I cold be very wrong. Have a look at the windyty site and run the slider at the bottom of the screen to see the passage of the air pressure readings.

On the other hand, and considering [and I am presuming - without the facts] the number of reports from folks about the nature of the 'tremor'they felt - as in buildings shaking and rumbling heard - there is still a possibility that they felt a tremor. The mountain ranges to the east of the pegged location initially recorded [Mount Compass, Lofty Block] seem to me to be part of a long line [curved] of potential locations for tremors. Now, bear with me as I can't upload a graphic, which would be so much easier to look at instead of my words below. I see what I describe below as a possible set of fault lines which may come into play for tremors in these regions.

And on my other hand - I once thought of what I call an 'atmospheric bomb'. Where energy built up in in pockets in thunderstorms or violent weather can impact possibly an isolated location - causing homes and the ground to shake.....

I see this;
a general line running from the last town I mention to the first and visa-versa. I.e. south to north - and north to south potential.

Kangaroo Island -> Victor Harbor -> hills east of Adelaide -> east of Gawler -> Kapunda -> Point Pass -> Burra -> Terowrie and Jamestown -> Melrose -> Port Augusta -> then snaking NNE to the Flinders Zanges -> then onto Arkaroola -> then snaking off to Lake Eyre and Haddon Corner....

There has been quite a bit of tremor activity in S.A. in the last 30 days - so it is not beyond a small chance that what the folks there felt may have been a tremor of sorts...?

On another note, the Southern Aurora was mind-blowing as seen from Victorian coastal locations 2 nights ago. The Victorian Aurora folks on FB have some awesome images and video if you want to see what they captured - amazing stuff.

Anyway, I hope what I have rattled on about above makes sense.

Cheers for now, Duck.

#1432495 - 02/09/2017 12:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
teckert Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: NE suburbs, Adelaide, South Au...
It was thunder this morning that was mistaken for an earthquake.

#1432497 - 02/09/2017 12:58 Re: Earthquakes [Re: teckert]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi teckert. Okey dokey - that would make sense too given the current weather conditions wink
Cheers, Duck.

#1432658 - 03/09/2017 15:52 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks, just a quick post..

The M6.3 and subsequent M4+ in North Korea is being considered by Japan to be a nuclear test, with a possible cave-in event [being the M4+]

South China Morning Post article

Idaho's M5.3 was preceded by a slightly lesser sized quake and has been followed on by ongoing smaller quakes. This is apparently near or involving a region of a volcanic province - I am yet to find out more on that location.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (03/09/2017 15:52)

Page 128 of 129 < 1 2 ... 126 127 128 129 >

Who's Online
16 registered (CirrusFibratus, logansi, aussiestormfreak, Kino, Jax, marakai, Eevo, Mad Elf #1.5, Crimson_Tide_, Funkyseefunkydo, HughJarse, DerekHV, StormCapture, 3 invisible), 260 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Ben, Enriquez, Goody, Ken Langdon, msp, Summer?, weather freak
Forum Stats
29368 Members
32 Forums
23684 Topics
1462195 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image