Page 129 of 130 < 1 2 ... 127 128 129 130 >
Topic Options
#1433084 - 06/09/2017 23:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi folks.

Idaho is still rocking along with tremors of varying magnitudes. Some scientists don't feel it is due to any rumblings from Yellowstone. The movements there may be primarily due to a faulting system. I agree with geologist from Idaho University that there is no guarantee that a larger tremor won't occur, but there is uncertainty as to which way the size of the future tremors may reach. The whole tremor scenario may slowly die out as the region settles, but it remains to be anyone's guess at the moment. I feel that this movement though may set off some other fault lines to it's NW or west or SW towards the coast or Oregon may also come up with a movement.
Yellowstone may come up with a tremor soon.
The Cascadia region may be niggled by the above tremors and the activity along the San Andreas movements.

The eastern side of the U.S. is sneaking in some tremors too. That region near the St. Lawrence waterways [Canada - U.S. border] I sometimes mention to watch is coming up with some niggles atm..

Hawaii is feeling tremors again [again seems to me to be marrying in with the U.S. tremors.

The Caribbean region has been coming up with tremors/quakes in rather quick succession recently. Haiti also came up with a decent tremor, which is one region I hope doesn't go on to feel another larger quake.

NZ is coming up with a few tremors currently. Vanuatu has just had an M4.7 and I feel we may see another run of M5's in the west Pacific in the short term. A location between Taiwan and eastern Indonesia/PNG may come up with an M5 or M5+.
Japan may have a run of M4+'s.

From Myanmar through to Afghanistan [including the Himalayas] - a region may come up with an M5+.

The Mediterranean [somewhere] - possibly from a central location to the east - may come up with an M6.

Somewhere around Spain or Gibraltar there may be an M4.

In the next week, Italy may come up with an M4'ish.

Australia is in a mini lull currently, but another round of small tremors here and there may show up, particularly in the southern half of the continent. For some reason [in my mind's eye] a location near Uluru/Ayers Rock may come with a tremor. But we will see...
Macquarie Island, or somewhere else between Antarctica and the Oz mainland may come up with a tremor.
NZ may come up with an M4+ on the SW of the South Island and on the NE of the North island...???

For some reason Tanzania and somewhere near Madagascar I think may come up with an M5 - but will see.

Take all I say with a pinch of salt...I may be wrong.

Will see if my EQ 'radar' is on track or not smile

I know I have missed a spot, but can't put my finger on it at the moment. I get a feeling this may be an unusual location....

For now, Duck.

#1433275 - 08/09/2017 15:45 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Re the big mag 8.0 (preliminary) quake with depth of 35km near Mexico's coast just before - the 1st graphic is an output from a tsunami model:

#1433279 - 08/09/2017 16:39 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
Wow M8+ , Mexico represent. That will rattle more than your nerves. Hope damage , loss of life and tsunami end up less than expected. That's a big boy!
And maybe due somewhere one would think, one this size? More educated may like to add to that, up it has been a while....

#1433285 - 08/09/2017 17:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: BIG T]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi all.

That was a nasty quake in Mexico.

Best info I could find just now

The above article mentions Australia as possibly going on to experience a 0.3 metre sea affect as a result from the tsunami produced by the quake. Most importantly though and sadly 3 people have been killed with this quake. As time goes on more info will be available.

I felt that a quake this size was possibly going to come up on the other side [western] of the Pacific. A quake this size may be an indicator that there is enough 'going on' - energy wise, for more [1 or 2] larger [maybe not in the M8+ range] to come up post this quake. It could set off M6's in various places and will rattle many fault lines on that 'side' of the planet. If it does 'set off' or be an indicator of some possible hefty energy lurking on the planet at the moment - larger quakes could come up in any region on the planet. Let's hope there are no more M8+'s to come in the short term at least.

For now, Duck.

#1434362 - 19/09/2017 09:47 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Well Bass Strait has come up with the tremors I have been rattling on about - as a possibility. Apparently 2 tremors of M3.4 and M3.3 in close succession.

I will catch up at some point with the EQ thread soon. I have been occupied in the last 2 weeks with one of my sons in hospital. So it may be sooner or later when I get back properly to this thread. It depends on how my son is going.

For the time being, Duck.

#1434515 - 20/09/2017 17:54 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
cold@28 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Chillagoe
Canberra man caught up in earthquake in Mexico
The Mexico quake was the fourth in five years for Mr Dampney
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news...920-gyl2tl.html
YTD: 968.0mm
2016: 668.5mm
2015: 599.0mm

#1434614 - 21/09/2017 19:34 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weather Freak

Geez it's been an active time of late. Big shakes in many areas.

#1434617 - 21/09/2017 19:54 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
cold@28 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

They even mentioned on the news that people were wondering whether they were all related....

#1434634 - 22/09/2017 07:49 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wollongong, NSW, Aus

#1434875 - 23/09/2017 15:49 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wynnum SE Brisbane
California is rocking. The locals getting very concerned
3x over 5 points in 12 hours
Precursor activity maybe

#1435606 - 30/09/2017 21:48 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

hello, finally, folks. [Yay the Tigers cool ]

There is alot of energy 'bouncing' around the Pacific currently. It may not be the end of a potential M6 or an outside chance of an M6+ in the short term. On trying to re-hone my thoughts on the activity, the Kermadecs, Japan and maybe the Philippines may come up with an M6'ish.

Alternatively somewhere along the west coast of Sth America may be the location of another larger tremor....???

This evening, there was a rattle here, which lasted for 1 second. Only enough to hear the roof lightly rattling on the decking, as I sat outside. A couple of times today there was an ominous silence 'in the air' and no bird sounds on a couple of those occasions.

Looking at Geoscience Australia's mapping of tremors, our activity seems to be getting stuck in a line in S.A., NSW [SE] and some interesting locations in W.A. [all inland - well away from the coast].

ESE of Fraser Island [QLD] has come up with an M3+ in recent hours. This may be an indication that the eastern side of Oz is succumbing to the pressures of the action in the Pacific.

There is an arc of activity from PNG, Indonesia and up into the Philippines. This energy may continue to include Japan [and/or surrounds] or even the far western side of the Aleutian Islands. [perhaps maybe over to the Kamchatka region of Russia].

The Arabian Sea [top NW of Indian Ocean] may come into play with an M5.

For now, and I have not checked the European quake sites, will see if ny 'radar' is back on track at all. Duck.

#1435834 - 02/10/2017 18:17 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weather Freak

Another volcanoe playing up , this one in Vanuatu. The island being evacuated.. its all happening.

#1435859 - 02/10/2017 19:40 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wollongong, NSW, Aus

#1436463 - 09/10/2017 17:26 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Kino]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks, still distracted with other things, but have watched [where I can] out the corner of my eye the news and the EQ maps here and there.

There has been a global cycling of quakes and tremors - meaning that there is a run on quakes in a short period [generally] then a minor lull.

The M6 in the Balleny Islands region may send off some energy back towards Australia and NZ. The energy which caused that quake may be, in some way, associated with the quakes in NZ and the regions [Kermadecs, Fiji, etc.] north of the North Island of NZ. If there is an associated energy, in my mind's-eye, there may be a chance that the lower east coast of Oz [NSW?] may feel a small tremor again.

I found the Tasmanian tremors not hat long ago [last 30 days records] fascinating. I had a feeling that an association with Bass Strait may have cropped up in current times. They were a little further south than I anticipated [I thought originally the tremors could come up south of Philip Island - by at least 20 or 30 kms at least]. They were much closer to Tassie than I thought they would be.

There is a bit of a chance that we may see another M7 on a coast somewhere in the near future. My gut is telling me that there may be enough energy lurking globally to set off a weakened or already active location...???

Anyway, for now, Duck.

#1436702 - 11/10/2017 19:46 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

NSW has been coming up with the tremors I said it would.

Just briefly for now though, I am watching the west coast regions of the U.S.. Don't be surprised if a possible M5 comes up offshore Sw or west of Eureka or a tremor of sorts coming up south - further down the coast. There is a possible potential of an M5 inland as well.

For now, Duck. {I am aware of all the other quakes coming up currently an may prattle on about that soon].

Edited by duckweather (11/10/2017 19:47)

#1436839 - 12/10/2017 20:11 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Well I think Melbourne may lose its title of being the most liveable city if this should occur [ crazy ]

lava in Melbourne in the future???

Now, a long time ago, someone asked me if there could be the possibility of volcanic activity in Australia. I said 'yes' as I do feel there may be some for of activity in my lifetime. But I think the above report may have some folks saying "what the...". So it is interesting to me that a scientist/s think there is a chance of volcanic activity, but this is incredible - if it actually happens.

On another non EQ [possibly] note, a few of us around here have noticed some cracking in some buildings and concrete driveways increasing gradually. These buildings/driveways are within a 100m radius roughly. Curious. Don't know what other folks beyond this radius are noticing yet.....

So far, the quakes I thought may come up [in last post] haven't happened [yet]. The tremors came up in Central America and Canada west coasts instead [and Alaska].

Australia is in a run of tremors in several states atm. An M4 may come into the picture soon.

For now, Duck.

#1436904 - 13/10/2017 10:03 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petros Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Maffra, Central Gippsland, Vi...
A 2.9 magnitude earthquake has been recorded close to a nuclear testing site in North Korea, a US-based monitor has said, fuelling fears the country has tested another hydrogen bomb.

The US Geological Survey said it had recorded the quake around 23km north-east of Sungjibaegam a known North Korean nuclear testing site.

#1437643 - 17/10/2017 09:53 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petros]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Yeh, saw that Petros when it came up on the maps - to register as tremor value shows how powerful these bombs must be. The one prior to this which registered M5+ had me nearly shaking my head off my shoulders. Let's hope we don't see any more....but I doubt that.

NSW has been rocking along with tremors in the last 7 days. I had a gut feeling that they were going to be the star of the EQ show for Oz in recent times. Something was 'telling'me that the region in the SE, possibly near the coast, was going to receive some concerted energy. An unusual tremor came up near the south of Hay yesterday. This, to me, shows that the energy may be being thrown off into this region [and maybe into Victoria eventually] from the SE NSW activity...?

Though NSW is not the only one.

WA and the NT have had an interesting run of tremors in the last 7 days and beyond. I get another gut feeling that much of the Australian landscape is being jiggled by degrees by some activity [some unseen] from the N, S, E and western edges of the plate we sit on. Tassie recently [between Vic and Tassie] got a little shuffle on [squeeze] to produce a few small tremors.
SA has had a couple of tremors too, but NSW has bee the busiest for tremors in the last 7 days.
We had a small jolt here 2 days ago. but nothing was registered with Geoscience Oz.

In a previous post I rattled on about the offshore west or SW of Eureka in the U.S. coming up with a possible M5. Well eventually it did come up with a smaller tremor, and as I have observed and mentioned before, the Canadian west coast gave in tho the pressure from the south and came up with a few tremors near the Cascadia.

Some obscure thoughts for the day - here are some locations which I feel may come up with M4'ishes in the next week -
-Washington [west coast side of U.S.]
-Nevada
-Snow country [where?] Australia
-A location starting with a "B" on the eastern side of Oz [maybe M3+]
-Indian Ocean west of WA
-Indian Ocean SSW of WA
........there will be other locations which will come up with quakes [M4+'s] not unusual. Maybe later I can add some more locations where I feel there may be the not so obvious potential spots for an EQ....

Still fine tuning my 'radar'currently. I am a bit hit and miss sometimes now...but working on less distractions now smile

For now, Duck.

#1438308 - 21/10/2017 12:22 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Just I suspected would begin occurring, Victoria has had a couple of tremors. One In the Barwon region and one in Pakenham at M2.5 and M2.7 [prelim] respectively.
I get a bit of a feeling that the energy to cause these tremors may not have come from the NE as I first suspected it might. Considering Tasmania's recent tremors on their NW region. it could be that there has been some pressure pushing north in Bass Strait since the Tassie tremors.

I feel QLD's offshore tremors may be a response to energy being driven around the East and NE energies causing the quakes in NZ and Indonesia east [also PNG, Fiji and Solomons].

The tremor in the far NW of SA at M3.1 is an interesting tremor. It occurred in Pipalyadjara, pegged in a township which is surrounded by geological and raised folds. I am not an 'expert' in the overall geology of this location, but where Geoscience has pegged the location of this tremor. I can see how there would be a fault line there.

WA's and SA's tremors are generally occurring along fairly expected lines of previous [historical] tremor activity.

I am still waiting for a location in Bass Strait to come up with a tremor - away from the coasts of Vic and Tassie.

For now, and I have only touched on Australia's activity, Duck.

#1438366 - 21/10/2017 21:42 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
cold@28 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Duck
Been lurking for a while. Just want to say thank you for this thread. Appreciate your keeping it up, with little feedback.
Cheers, Julie

Page 129 of 130 < 1 2 ... 127 128 129 130 >

Who's Online
12 registered (ThunderBob, ashestoashes, dknever, Ollieo, Mad Elf #1.5, Snowies, drivenunder, Hailin, Blowin', Pooley72, 2 invisible), 253 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
haras, TheAnt
Forum Stats
29401 Members
32 Forums
23726 Topics
1468972 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image