Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1430869 - 16/08/2017 09:43 NSW Sth - Widespread snow event and very strong winds 18-19 August 2017
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Registered: 10/08/2017
Posts: 1012
Loc: Wollongong, NSW, Aus
Hi all - thought it time too start it's own thread. Models have improved regarding widespread snow, with Saturday looking the best day at this stage. MetEye defin bullish, with snow even forecast for the BM's!



Edited by Seabreeze (18/08/2017 19:20)
Edit Reason: added winds

Top
#1430872 - 16/08/2017 09:49 Re: NSW Sth - Widespread snow event and very strong winds 18-19 August 2017 [Re: Kino]
Wave Rider Online   content
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Registered: 27/01/2014
Posts: 6295
Loc: Wollongong and Berrima NSW
All I can say is that it's unusual for MetEye (ie. human made) to be so optimistic.

I notice GFS is showing -5 at 850mb for Saturday morning in parts of the CT's so could be snow down to 700m or even 600m if moisture holds.
_________________________
The longer you wait for storms, the more you appreciate them.

Top
#1430877 - 16/08/2017 10:11 Re: NSW Sth - Widespread snow event and very strong winds 18-19 August 2017 [Re: Kino]
DaveM Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Registered: 21/05/2001
Posts: 9744
Loc: Bathurst NSW about 700 m asl
Bureau has indicated possible snow on the CT's in comments above 700 for a day or 2 now. Cold air but precip will likely be an issue as usual.

Be nice if Meteye was right smile

Top
#1430878 - 16/08/2017 10:12 Re: NSW Sth - Widespread snow event and very strong winds 18-19 August 2017 [Re: DaveM]
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Registered: 10/08/2017
Posts: 1012
Loc: Wollongong, NSW, Aus
Originally Posted By: DaveM
Bureau has indicated possible snow on the CT's in comments above 700 for a day or 2 now. Cold air but precip will likely be an issue as usual.

Be nice if Meteye was right smile


yeah, GFS isn't interested in latest run, but I'll stay optimistic smile be nicer if we saw snow down to 700 or so right into the CT's grin save me a long drive ha ha


Edited by Kino (16/08/2017 10:13)
Edit Reason: spell check broken today :(

Top
#1430882 - 16/08/2017 10:29 Re: NSW Sth - Widespread snow event and very strong winds 18-19 August 2017 [Re: Kino]
EddyG Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Registered: 19/12/2008
Posts: 4333
Loc: NSW Port Stephens
Even the Barrington tops is looking good this weekend for some snow, unfortunately for me I have work.
_________________________
Rainfall
MTD 15.9mm
YTD 1110.3mm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eddygroot/
YNWA

Top
#1430889 - 16/08/2017 10:55 Re: NSW Sth - Widespread snow event and very strong winds 18-19 August 2017 [Re: Kino]
DaveM Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Registered: 21/05/2001
Posts: 9744
Loc: Bathurst NSW about 700 m asl
WORK - a 4 letter word and the curse of the drinking mans life!!! smile

I suspect Sunday morning will be our last STRONG negative temp of the year.

Top
#1430891 - 16/08/2017 10:58 Re: NSW Sth - Widespread snow event and very strong winds 18-19 August 2017 [Re: Kino]
Cheers Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Registered: 26/05/2007
Posts: 1093
Loc: sevenhills nsw
Hi Guys
We will be at Oberon on Friday mid morning.
Staying 3 nights , snow or no snow .
If we are lucky enough to get the white gold I expect to see a number of you guys at the usual snow chasing areas . It will be nice to meet you !
Dave , will you and your brother be doing a snow chase Friday/ Saturday.
Haven't seen you guys for a while .
Cheers

Top
#1430895 - 16/08/2017 11:18 Re: NSW Sth - Widespread snow event and very strong winds 18-19 August 2017 [Re: Cheers]
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Registered: 10/08/2017
Posts: 1012
Loc: Wollongong, NSW, Aus
Originally Posted By: Cheers
Hi Guys
We will be at Oberon on Friday mid morning.
Staying 3 nights , snow or no snow .
If we are lucky enough to get the white gold I expect to see a number of you guys at the usual snow chasing areas . It will be nice to meet you !
Dave , will you and your brother be doing a snow chase Friday/ Saturday.
Haven't seen you guys for a while .
Cheers


May see you there - depends how this evolves - Crookwell is looking good, being closer to the colder air, so I may linger there.

Top
#1430897 - 16/08/2017 11:27 Re: NSW Sth - Widespread snow event and very strong winds 18-19 August 2017 [Re: Kino]
DaveM Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Registered: 21/05/2001
Posts: 9744
Loc: Bathurst NSW about 700 m asl
Hey Cheers!!!

Wayne has moved back to the Central coast - so he won't make it.

Working Friday and I think wifey is trying to keep me busy on Saturday - HOWEVER I would like to get out there if it looks interesting. The biggest issue for me these days is that I am back in a 2wd sedan instead of the Forester!! If you see a dopey grin out of a red falcon - it's likely me smile

Have fun mate - camping in the motel this time? Not the troopy?

Top
#1430898 - 16/08/2017 11:28 Re: NSW Sth - Widespread snow event and very strong winds 18-19 August 2017 [Re: DaveM]
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Registered: 10/08/2017
Posts: 1012
Loc: Wollongong, NSW, Aus
Originally Posted By: DaveM
Hey Cheers!!!

Wayne has moved back to the Central coast - so he won't make it.

Working Friday and I think wifey is trying to keep me busy on Saturday - HOWEVER I would like to get out there if it looks interesting. The biggest issue for me these days is that I am back in a 2wd sedan instead of the Forester!! If you see a dopey grin out of a red falcon - it's likely me smile

Have fun mate - camping in the motel this time? Not the troopy?


If MetEye comes off, you won't have to go far by the looks of it grin

Top
#1430902 - 16/08/2017 11:38 Re: NSW Sth - Widespread snow event and very strong winds 18-19 August 2017 [Re: DaveM]
EddyG Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Registered: 19/12/2008
Posts: 4333
Loc: NSW Port Stephens
Originally Posted By: DaveM
WORK - a 4 letter word and the curse of the drinking mans life!!! smile



Especially on a weekend!! frown

Good luck to the chasers, I expect to see this thread full of wonderful snow pictures come Saturday evening. And that's including you DaveM poke grin
_________________________
Rainfall
MTD 15.9mm
YTD 1110.3mm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eddygroot/
YNWA

Top
#1430905 - 16/08/2017 11:49 Re: NSW Sth - Widespread snow event and very strong winds 18-19 August 2017 [Re: DaveM]
Cheers Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Registered: 26/05/2007
Posts: 1093
Loc: sevenhills nsw
Originally Posted By: DaveM
Hey Cheers!!!

Wayne has moved back to the Central coast - so he won't make it.

Working Friday and I think wifey is trying to keep me busy on Saturday - HOWEVER I would like to get out there if it looks interesting. The biggest issue for me these days is that I am back in a 2wd sedan instead of the Forester!! If you see a dopey grin out of a red falcon - it's likely me smile

Have fun mate - camping in the motel this time? Not the troopy?


LOL, Oberon caravan park . Not taking Humphrey the Troopy this time . Will be in a gold 4wd Pajero . I hope to see you !

Top
#1430906 - 16/08/2017 11:55 Re: NSW Sth - Widespread snow event and very strong winds 18-19 August 2017 [Re: Kino]
DaveM Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Registered: 21/05/2001
Posts: 9744
Loc: Bathurst NSW about 700 m asl
Bit of pressure there Eddy grin

Cheers cheers smile

Top
#1430910 - 16/08/2017 12:17 Re: NSW Sth - Widespread snow event and very strong winds 18-19 August 2017 [Re: DaveM]
EddyG Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Registered: 19/12/2008
Posts: 4333
Loc: NSW Port Stephens
Originally Posted By: DaveM
Bit of pressure there Eddy grin

Cheers cheers smile


No pressure!! I heard you thrive on it!! grin
_________________________
Rainfall
MTD 15.9mm
YTD 1110.3mm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/eddygroot/
YNWA

Top
#1430916 - 16/08/2017 13:35 Re: NSW Sth - Widespread snow event and very strong winds 18-19 August 2017 [Re: Kino]
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Registered: 10/08/2017
Posts: 1012
Loc: Wollongong, NSW, Aus
Latest MetEye is in, and it's an upgrade to this mornings run. Substantial snowfall right across southern NSW and into Vict. Northern tablelands also score!






Edited by Kino (16/08/2017 13:39)
Edit Reason: Imagur being annoying

Top
#1430923 - 16/08/2017 17:15 Re: NSW Sth - Widespread snow event and very strong winds 18-19 August 2017 [Re: Kino]
Steve777 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Registered: 20/10/2011
Posts: 3505
Loc: Artarmon (Sydney North Shore)
Here is the forecast for the Central Tablelands issued this afternoon:

Quote:
Friday 18 August

Partly cloudy. High (70%) chance of showers in the south, slight (30%) chance elsewhere. Snow levels lowering to 900 metres by late evening. Winds westerly 35 to 50 km/h. Overnight temperatures falling to between 1 and 7 with daytime temperatures reaching between 8 and 15.

Saturday 19 August

Cloudy. Slight (30%) chance of a shower in the south in the morning. Near zero chance of rain elsewhere. Snow possible above 800 metres. Areas of morning frost in the south. Winds west to southwesterly 20 to 30 km/h tending south to southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h during the day. Overnight temperatures falling to between minus 2 and 4 above zero with daytime temperatures reaching between 8 and 15.


Precipitation chances don't look good, e.g. there's only a 'slight' chance on Saturday and snow is only 'possible'.

Top
#1430933 - 16/08/2017 19:52 Re: NSW Sth - Widespread snow event and very strong winds 18-19 August 2017 [Re: Steve777]
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Registered: 10/08/2017
Posts: 1012
Loc: Wollongong, NSW, Aus
Originally Posted By: Steve777
Here is the forecast for the Central Tablelands issued this afternoon:

Quote:
Friday 18 August

Partly cloudy. High (70%) chance of showers in the south, slight (30%) chance elsewhere. Snow levels lowering to 900 metres by late evening. Winds westerly 35 to 50 km/h. Overnight temperatures falling to between 1 and 7 with daytime temperatures reaching between 8 and 15.

Saturday 19 August

Cloudy. Slight (30%) chance of a shower in the south in the morning. Near zero chance of rain elsewhere. Snow possible above 800 metres. Areas of morning frost in the south. Winds west to southwesterly 20 to 30 km/h tending south to southwesterly 15 to 20 km/h during the day. Overnight temperatures falling to between minus 2 and 4 above zero with daytime temperatures reaching between 8 and 15.


Precipitation chances don't look good, e.g. there's only a 'slight' chance on Saturday and snow is only 'possible'.


Yep, totally agree, moisture is woeful. Fingers crossed tho.

Top
#1430938 - 16/08/2017 20:37 Re: NSW Sth - Widespread snow event and very strong winds 18-19 August 2017 [Re: Kino]
Cheers Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Registered: 26/05/2007
Posts: 1093
Loc: sevenhills nsw
Is anyone having trouble with MetEye ATM ?

Top
#1430939 - 16/08/2017 21:01 Re: NSW Sth - Widespread snow event and very strong winds 18-19 August 2017 [Re: Cheers]
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Registered: 10/08/2017
Posts: 1012
Loc: Wollongong, NSW, Aus
Originally Posted By: Cheers
Is anyone having trouble with MetEye ATM ?


Yep seems it down. Maybe about to be updated?

Top
#1430941 - 16/08/2017 21:33 Re: NSW Sth - Widespread snow event and very strong winds 18-19 August 2017 [Re: Kino]
Cheers Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Registered: 26/05/2007
Posts: 1093
Loc: sevenhills nsw
Originally Posted By: Kino
Originally Posted By: Cheers
Is anyone having trouble with MetEye ATM ?


Yep seems it down. Maybe about to be updated?


Thanks

Top
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >


Who's Online
6 registered (Wave Rider, Markus, DDstorm, willitrainagain, aussiestormfreak, 1 invisible), 310 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
annair, marestails, Quasar, typhoontim
Forum Stats
29389 Members
32 Forums
23700 Topics
1465941 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image