DaveM Online   content
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Bathurst NSW about 700 m asl
Nice bit of coolness down there today?

#1345940 - 02/11/2015 15:11 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
Snowies Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Westbury
Not this corner of the state, sunny and mild, 50% RH. Feel it when out in the garden. Down south looks a bit nippy though...

Your right, the rain the other day was only note worthy because we've had none. SF pointed out that Launnie had 0.6mm for October...

#1345944 - 02/11/2015 15:38 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
DaveM Online   content

Yes it's really been dry in parts of Tassie it seems. No good once the hot NW winds kick in in summer.

#1345978 - 02/11/2015 20:01 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: DaveM]
payshense Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: West Coast, TAS, 310m ASL / Bu...
Sure has been dry. Here's a few stats for the West Coast, Strahan Aerodrome Station.

October

long term mean max temp 16
2015 mean max temp 18.1 New Record

long term mean min temp 7.3
2015 mean min temp 7.2

long term mean rainfall 119.8mm
2015 total rainfall 25.2mm Well below average

#1346023 - 03/11/2015 09:39 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
DaveM Online   content

Yes, not overly surprised at those numbers. The rain is the real standout.

Our November max was 5 degrees above average so no surprise yours was high too. Ours is a 48 year record not quite all time.

We were dry too and many places in many areas had the same sort of issues.

#1346038 - 03/11/2015 10:52 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
DaveM Online   content

I noticed a thin dusting of snow on the Mt Mawson snow cam this morning too smile

#1347699 - 10/11/2015 09:03 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
DaveM Online   content

540 line about half way up Tassie, not much moisture about but possibly a couple of flakes on the highest peaks at some point.

A quick little cool down after a couple of pretty warm days. Max 17 or so in Hobart today sounds nice to me. smile

#1347714 - 10/11/2015 11:21 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
MOUNTAIN h2o Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Hobart Lenah Valley Tas 198 as...
Hi Dave and the forum crew, pretty quiet on here of late. I think everyone is just sitting back observing what is unfolding.
There is one word that can some it up "dry".
I have spent some time across the North West Coast of late , and it seems still very green and lush. However I was surprised driving back down to Hobart via Bass Highway how quickly the green turns into dry scrub. Anything East of Westbury seems very very dry. Yesterday certainly was a challenge in Hobart , 28 degree forecast with 80% chance of showers. That quickly turned into 33 degrees and zippe de do da rain. crazy
Just waiting and watching , watching and waiting .

#1347716 - 10/11/2015 11:40 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
DaveM Online   content

Yes H, I noticed that Hobart only has 3 or 4mm mtd. Not a good start.

Nothing in sight either.

#1347768 - 10/11/2015 15:43 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
payshense Offline
Weather Freak

Hi all.

October on the West Coast was very dry. Total rainfall for the month was only 20% of the long term average.

Getting some good rain up here in Cairns. Its starting to feel like the Wet Season.

Look forward to hearing reports of any decent rain down there. Particularly from anyone in the NW Coast area.

Be back down there in a couple of weeks. Maybe try and bring some rain back with me. smile

#1347779 - 10/11/2015 16:51 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
DaveM Online   content

Suffer in your heat and humidity up in Cairns!!! grin

#1347794 - 10/11/2015 19:01 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: DaveM]
payshense Offline
Weather Freak

Loving it Dave grin

#1347839 - 11/11/2015 09:06 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
DaveM Online   content

Crazy person!! grin

Temps for Tassie today pretty much high teens everywhere with one or 2 spots maybe hitting 20. No mention of precip down there.

#1347958 - 11/11/2015 21:01 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
MOUNTAIN h2o Offline
Weather Freak

BOM are going for 80% chance of rain and 2 to 8mm in Hobart tomorrow .
Pay, Cairns sound great too me , maybe for a day ? Just to see those green hills behind Redlynch and soak up some cool rainforest at Crystal Cascades. Must get back up there one day soon. Is Charlies Seafood Restaurant food trough still going ?
I use to love Fridays up there working in the City , Friday lunch at the Masonic club and then Rusty's fruit and veg for the weekend . Great days indeed and a great city.

#1347985 - 12/11/2015 01:10 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
PVW Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Thuringowa, Townsville QLD
Hi all,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post but i'm looking for some advise re: Hobart.

I currently live in Townsville and my partner and I are SICK of the NQ heat and lack of rain for about 3/4 of the year.
We are pretty confident that we're going to move to Hobart once we've finished university.

I'm just wondering, what is the best suburb to live in for snow.

I know that it doesn't snow around Hobart itself often, and that sea level snow has only happened twice in the last 30 years.
But i'm wondering how frequently it snows in other more elevated suburbs like Mount Nelson for example.
Or are there other suburbs that are more likely to have snow?

We'd love to move down there as the climate sounds perfect for us (partner is originally from the UK) and the occasional winter snowfall every few years would be great to have.

Thanks for your help!

#1347986 - 12/11/2015 01:23 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
PVW Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Also, does anyone have any other general weather advice about Hobart/southern TAS? Thanks! smile

#1348000 - 12/11/2015 09:21 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
DaveM Online   content

Hey H, Crystal Cascades is lovely indeed!! Water chilly though!!

You guys have the 540 line flicking through again Fri/Sat, some flakeage on some peaks under the correct clouds.

I notice 2 mornings of neg temps in some places down there this week. Still chilly in the inland bits. smile

PVW - basically Ferntree is on the side of Mt Wellington, further along is NEIKA or just a tiny bit away is my old home of Ridgeway, all over 300 odd metres and will see a number of brief snowfalls in a year. Mt Nelson is less so (closer to water and further from the Mt) however it does get an occasional snowfall.

A bit further away on the NW side of Hobart is Collinsvale, it's shielded from the effects of the Derwent River/Bay by a tall ridge line that makes it much cooler for it's elevation.

Hobart has about 600mm of rain per year. It tends to be light precip, very few storms. Second driest capital city in Australia (Adelaide driest).

In summer it has the 2nd highest number of sunshine hours too, again Adelaide beats it.

Winter has short days, it's dark about 4.30 at it's worst.

It's actually a climate I love a lot.

The Huon area and the Channel area (both south of Hobart) are wetter.

East of Hobart is noticeably drier, in fact east and west of the river are different. The closer to Mt Wellington, the wetter & cloudier it gets.

Oh and the sea breeze kicks in about 2.30 or so each day.

The best 10 years of my life were down there. smile

#1348013 - 12/11/2015 11:12 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
MOUNTAIN h2o Offline
Weather Freak

Some nice drizzly rain in Hobart this morning , very happy and the lawn is already looking greener. cool
Hi the Guys in Townsville , Hobart or the surrounds would be a great move. Dave is absolutely correct the higher and nearer to Mt Wellington the greener , cooler and wetter you will be and of course have the chance of low level snow. Even some very strange localised weather patterns occur here in Lenah Valley ( North Hobart ) . We have lived in two locations in LV , one was lower but closer to Mt W. and we got more rain and sudden storms but no snow in Winter. Here we are in the same suburb but high on a ridge (198m) further north of Mt W ( but only a km or 2) and we have seen several low level snow events. However it's very dry up here and seems to be in a rain shadow ?
We had lived in Cairns for about 20 years ( my wife spent a lot of her childhood in TVille) and also Brisvegas . I remember the days we used to drive 5 plus hours from Cairns to Townsville because they had a Target !! But , anyways we to got sick of the heat and humidity and moved to Tassie and love it. It's great to have all 4 seasons and seeing those Autumn leaves change is something that you never forget and never wish to leave.
We would be glad to see even more Qlanders make their homes here, already plenty of maroon number plates driving around. And talking to folks you will be surprised how many are originally from QLD. Hope you are Cowboys supporters as well grin
Any other Tassie questions , just ask on here as the people like Dave and others have a passion for the place and a wealth of local knowledge . Have a great day .

#1348035 - 12/11/2015 13:33 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
payshense Offline
Weather Freak

Hi all smile

H, Charlies on the Esplanade? We have been going to go there many times and haven't yet made it there. Have heard nothing but good reports about it. You would recommend it? Dining out in Cairns is fantastic as there is such good quality variety available. I spent my early childhood in Lenah Valley. Lived up Kalang Ave I think and vaguely remember hiking up a creek towards Mount Wellington? As an after school adventure. Good memories. Maybe I saw my first flakes growing up there.

Hi PVW.
What Dave and H said, for potential snow falls close to Hobart.
Anywhere in the foothills of Mount Wellington is beautiful and a short commute to the city.
I also particularly like the areas to the South of Hobart So far as cities go, Hobart has some real character. Love the wharf area, which is only a short walk from the CBD. If being close to water or having water views is desired then the choices become endless.

I have been coming and going between FNQ and Tassie for 10 years now and love the extremes of weather in both places. FNQ or Tassie, I love them both. And after spending last year up the Kimberly, that wraps up my three favourite parts of our country.

#1348080 - 12/11/2015 17:22 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: payshense]
PVW Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: DaveM
PVW - basically Ferntree is on the side of Mt Wellington, further along is NEIKA or just a tiny bit away is my old home of Ridgeway, all over 300 odd metres and will see a number of brief snowfalls in a year. Mt Nelson is less so (closer to water and further from the Mt) however it does get an occasional snowfall.

A bit further away on the NW side of Hobart is Collinsvale, it's shielded from the effects of the Derwent River/Bay by a tall ridge line that makes it much cooler for it's elevation.

Hobart has about 600mm of rain per year. It tends to be light precip, very few storms. Second driest capital city in Australia (Adelaide driest).

In summer it has the 2nd highest number of sunshine hours too, again Adelaide beats it.

Winter has short days, it's dark about 4.30 at it's worst.

It's actually a climate I love a lot.

The Huon area and the Channel area (both south of Hobart) are wetter.

East of Hobart is noticeably drier, in fact east and west of the river are different. The closer to Mt Wellington, the wetter & cloudier it gets.

Oh and the sea breeze kicks in about 2.30 or so each day.

The best 10 years of my life were down there. smile

Thanks Dave!! Thanks for your suggestions. I'll have a bit of a look into those areas you mentioned.
Having 600mm of rain per year wouldn't bother me too much, I do enjoy the rain, but I think I'd prefer the fact that the amount of rain is evenly spread out across the year each month, rather than just a massive downpour in Feb/Mar and then nothing for the rest of the year like we get here. Days and days of drizzly rain sounds like a dream to me!
I think I'd be able to cope pretty well with the short days in Winter, knowing how long the days can be in Summer time. The variation between Winter and Summer in regards to day length is something I would quite enjoy too I believe, having darkness by 4:30pm in Winter seems like a small price to pay for the beautiful long summer evenings that occur down there.
Originally Posted By: MOUNTAIN h2o
Hi the Guys in Townsville , Hobart or the surrounds would be a great move. Dave is absolutely correct the higher and nearer to Mt Wellington the greener , cooler and wetter you will be and of course have the chance of low level snow. Even some very strange localised weather patterns occur here in Lenah Valley ( North Hobart ) . We have lived in two locations in LV , one was lower but closer to Mt W. and we got more rain and sudden storms but no snow in Winter. Here we are in the same suburb but high on a ridge (198m) further north of Mt W ( but only a km or 2) and we have seen several low level snow events. However it's very dry up here and seems to be in a rain shadow ?
We had lived in Cairns for about 20 years ( my wife spent a lot of her childhood in TVille) and also Brisvegas . I remember the days we used to drive 5 plus hours from Cairns to Townsville because they had a Target !! But , anyways we to got sick of the heat and humidity and moved to Tassie and love it. It's great to have all 4 seasons and seeing those Autumn leaves change is something that you never forget and never wish to leave.
We would be glad to see even more Qlanders make their homes here, already plenty of maroon number plates driving around. And talking to folks you will be surprised how many are originally from QLD. Hope you are Cowboys supporters as well grin
Any other Tassie questions , just ask on here as the people like Dave and others have a passion for the place and a wealth of local knowledge . Have a great day .
Thanks for your help! I'd definitely be interested in living closer to Mt Wellington knowing that that area is more prone to wetter weather.
Seeing the leaves change in Autumn every year would be truly spectacular!
Like you, I'm very sick of the heat and humidity that just never seen to go away even in "Winter".
My partner grew up in the UK so is no stranger to the colder weather. I grew up about 30km inland from Mackay in Central QLD, so I'm used to the odd -1, 0, 1, 2, etc. degree morning in the winter and absolutely LOVE when it gets that cold.
I've moved up to Townsville purely to complete university, and even though it's not much further north from where I used to live, it's just way too hot and humid up here and I'm really sick of it.
I've always loved the cold weather and have been keeping an eye on the weather in Tassie and I'm very envious! Especially now we're into November.
We're planning on looking for jobs around Hobart once we've finished university and once we've found jobs we're hoping to rent down there for a few years and eventually buy a house if we like the area (which I'm very confident that we will).
The specific location in Hobart is not a big deal, but we were talking about it and thought that it would be beautiful to live in a more elevated area, where the odd snowfall in Winter can occur.

Originally Posted By: payshense
Hi PVW.What Dave and H said, for potential snow falls close to Hobart.
Anywhere in the foothills of Mount Wellington is beautiful and a short commute to the city.
I also particularly like the areas to the South of Hobart So far as cities go, Hobart has some real character. Love the wharf area, which is only a short walk from the CBD. If being close to water or having water views is desired then the choices become endless.
I have been coming and going between FNQ and Tassie for 10 years now and love the extremes of weather in both places. FNQ or Tassie, I love them both. And after spending last year up the Kimberly, that wraps up my three favourite parts of our country.

Thanks payshense! I have had a look at the areas to the south of Hobart and thought they looked really good. But I think we'd aim to live somewhere just a little bit more elevated so that we can still see a few snowfalls. In saying that, if we can't end up living somewhere elevated, we really don't mind at all where we live, as the snow is really not that far of a drive too anyway. We just thought it would be stunning to live somewhere where you can wake up in the morning and find a light dusting of snow on those few occasions when snow falls to lower levels.

We're very excited about the prospect of living in Tasmania in a few years time, I've been doing a lot of online research about the climate and the cities and I haven't seen a single thing I didn't like.
Hobart is around the exact same size as Townsville from what I can see so it sounds like it would be the perfect sized city for us.
The climate is exactly what the both of us are looking for.
The short driving distances to other cities in the state sounds marvellous and I'm sure we'd spend many weekends travelling and visiting other areas.
The fact that snow is only a short drive away is the Winter is something I'm really excited for.
And the long summer days with cool temperatures sound just marvellous. I think they would make Christmas a great time of year.
I also like the fact that when hot weather does occur, the humidity is low and the next day is usually significantly cooler.

Thanks for your help everyone. Feel free to give me any more advice/tips/suggestions, etc. if you can think of anything. I love hearing it all.
I'll be sure to post any more questions if I can think of any smile

Page 132 of 265 < 1 2 ... 130 131 132 133 134 ... 264 265 >

Who's Online
11 registered (seaworthy, Pooley72, Mad Elf #1.5, DaveM, Homer, slipperyfish, 5 invisible), 263 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
stormryder, Taylsy, Willoughby
Forum Stats
29368 Members
32 Forums
23682 Topics
1461970 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image