Page 16 of 32 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 31 32 >
Topic Options
#1194002 - 15/05/2013 12:30 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
Locke Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Brisbane
Ok watching the X-ray flux monitor in real time now and its looking to me that we might be about to see an even bigger one pop off in coming hours.

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/rt_plots/xray_1m.html

#1194018 - 15/05/2013 13:52 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Oxley Brisbane Qld
Hi Locke,

I'm at work again so will need to keep it brief and cannot load any pretty images unfortunately. But you are right this active region is not backing down. NOAA have increased the chance of more X-Class Solar flares to 50% in the next 24-48 hours, up from 40% last night our time. There are a couple of other instruments we can view to measure the build up of energy (strength of sunspots within the active region) so to speak and will need to get those links to you all tonight. Solarwatcher had one of them in his video, cannot think of it's name.

There is every possibility this active region will keep growing and maintaining it's complex magnetic structure 'beta-gamma-delta'.

Cheers and stay tuned.
SDx

#1194077 - 15/05/2013 20:12 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Solar Update

Evening...

I must apologise for relaying incorrect info, where I commented the following in one of my prior post, I meant to say the CME prediction model released by the Goddard Space Flight Center not WSA-Enil. There is a difference in models
Quote:
Pause the video at 2.38 min and you will see the predicted path of the last CME from the 3.2X-Class Solar flare by the WSA-Enlil Solar Wind Prediction model - see how close it will sweep past Earth the little yellow dot.

Here is a link to the Goddard Space Flight Centre's model showing the expected path of the 3.2X-Class Solar flare courteous of Solarham.com http://www.solarham.net/pictures/iswa.gif

So the fourth X-Class flare released by AR1748 measured a 1.2 and peaked at 1.47 UTC 15 May 2013.
Below is an image of the 1.2X-Class Solar flare. All four X-Class flares have produced extreme ultraviolet flashes and measured 10cm radio bursts.

We must record a snapshot of this image - it isn't every Solar maximum we get four X-Class flares on the GOES x-ray flux in a three day period

Here is Solarwatcher's video on the latest Solar flare no commentary this time but great images as always

Active Region 1748 Size

Now lets check the size of AR1748 for this I will refer you all to solarham.com as it does have it all there for you to monitor, Keven's site run's 24/7 so it is always up to date faster than spaceweather.com. Unless you want to keep all the links separately and dart between them all smile

http://www.solarham.net/regions.htm

Active Region 1748 is seemingly growing in size again, it had stopped there for a wee while, it is of an area size of 310 Millionths. Even the spot count within that region has increased to five (5).

You also have Solarmonitor.org to veiw all sunspot data. http://www.solarmonitor.org/
Within this site there are links to much information, some of it you will understand by now for those who have been following for awhile, other parts of the site may still be a little over your head (I hope that does not come across condescendingly) it depends on the extent of your knowledge.

This link is to the predicted forecast of more flares - it is interesting to note AR1748 is predicted to produce 5X-Class flares - http://www.solarmonitor.org/forecast.php?date=20130515 so one more hey smile

I have marked it down to go through this site with you all as it has some great stuff on it.

One you might like to explore now is HEK - Heliophysics Events Knowledgebase http://www.lmsal.com/hek/index.html
It has a tutorial on how to use the site which I think form memory is really good.

I have to go quickly I will be back shortly... shamelessly I have to go watch a new episode of Big Bang theory. Also I have family about to pop in to drop something off.

So on that note I will bid you goodnight. I do feel AR1748 still has some energy left in it to produce more significant flares and with each hour passing Earth will be in the line of fire. I am still waiting to determine with the latest flare how much of the CME will affect Earth, I just haven't had time to check. Sorry to fly like this.

Take care, sweet dreams
SDx

#1194286 - 16/05/2013 21:29 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Solar Update

Hello... sorry for the abruptly ending post last night I would have typed a whole lot more, but time got away on me and with the phone ringing constantly, and family coming by unannounced, I didn't end up typing and sharing what I intended at the outset, nor explain it all too well. I didn't even get to watch Big Bang theory, who would think I'd love a giggle watching Sheldon be a big nerd but I do on the odd occasion, only new episodes though crazy

Let us see what the Sun in up to at present....

If we start with AR1748 it has shrunk in size a little and is now down to a size of 260 Millionths (down from 310) meanwhile the Sunspots within this region have increased in number to nine (9) up from 5. AR1748 certainly has packed a punch for a little tacker, it remains very complex with a Beta Delta Gamma configuration still.

Here is the latest image of AR1748 looking at it with the HMI Colorized Magnetogram
It shows the intensity or magnetic field directions of the sunspots on the surface of the Sun

If we look at the GOES x-ray flux we can see it is yet again taking a deep breath and recharging it's batteries. The probability that it could produce an X-Class flare in the next 24-48 hours is around 60%, which is very high and I'm not sure I have seen it this high ever in my time watching the Sun. I've seen it as high as 50% so it is obviously showing NOAA signs that it still harbors energy for powerful flares.

WSA-Enlil Solar Wind Prediction

It is interesting to note the CME's released from the first two X-Class Solar flares were engulfed by the third. It was the most powerful and fastest in speed. The fourth X-Class Solar flare will brush past Earth ever so slightly and we may experience a glancing blow on or around the 17th May UTC. I may have shared with you in the past how Solar winds can slow down or quicken up, even change direction on route to Earth. Geomagnetic storming is only expected to be mild.

Here is the link showing you the CME's as mentioned above, you can clearly see the X3.2 engulfing the first two which really shows as one, as they were so close together. You will also observe how the last CME will just give Earth a side swiping (green dot on the right) smile http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/wsa-enlil/

Presently there are nine active regions on the Solar disc as shown in two differing views of the Sun

Currently windspeeds are at 374.1km/sec
The proton count reached above 10 proton/cm3 earlier today our time but now reduced to around 3.2 proton/cm3

As I have only reported on the X-Class flares, in amongst all the action there have been a couple of M-Class Solar flares and a couple of big prominence eruptions as well. Solar wind speeds are most likely fluctuating because of all this activity as earlier this morning they were up around 450km/sec. We can see this below on the Planetary K-index when it was elevated and unsettled the yellow bar.

Well on that note I will bid you all good night. All we can do is wait and see what may unfold but I'm am wondering if we might get some more activity overnight. If not another X-Class flare maybe a high level M-Class flare.

My parting gift....Here is a prominence eruption that occurred a moment ago and not too far from AR1748 which you can see as the bright area on the right of the screen - http://helioviewer.org/?movieId=Rm395

Good night folks
Take Care
SDx

#1194483 - 18/05/2013 12:31 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
Ken Kato Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: SunnyDays
Now for a little Space Oddity smile

From the ISS (International Space Station) and Chris Hadfield the Commander - a little song for you to relax

I saw that on the TV news earlier in the week and decided to look it up on youtube - the first one I saw was the one uploaded by Cdr Hadfield himself and absolutely loved it!

BTW looks like an interesting start to next week with the SWPC now having issued a Watch for G2 moderate levels of geomagnetic storm activity:

Space Weather Message Code: WATA30
Serial Number: 105
Issue Time: 2013 May 17 2124 UTC

WATCH: Geomagnetic Storm Category G2 Predicted

Highest Storm Level Predicted by Day:
May 18: None (Below G1) May 19: G2 (Moderate) May 20: None (Below G1)

THIS SUPERSEDES ANY/ALL PRIOR WATCHES IN EFFECT

NOAA Space Weather Scale descriptions can be found at
www.swpc.noaa.gov/NOAAscales

Potential Impacts: Area of impact primarily poleward of 55 degrees Geomagnetic Latitude.
Induced Currents - Power grid fluctuations can occur. High-latitude power systems may experience voltage alarms.
Spacecraft - Satellite orientation irregularities may occur; increased drag on low Earth-orbit satellites is possible.
Radio - HF (high frequency) radio propagation can fade at higher latitudes.
Aurora - Aurora may be seen as low as New York to Wisconsin to Washington state.

Edited by Ken Kato (18/05/2013 12:33)
Edit Reason: added stuff

#1194526 - 18/05/2013 20:30 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
Ken Kato Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I'm a bit jealous of the Tasmanian's right now. The IPS has also issued an Aurora Alert for the higher latitudes for the impending major geomagnetic storm levels:

SUBJ: IPS AURORA ALERT HIGH LATITUDES
ISSUED AT 0920 UT ON 18 May 2013 BY IPS RADIO AND SPACE SERVICES
FROM THE AUSTRALIAN SPACE FORECAST CENTRE

Geomagnetic storm in progress. Aurora may be observed
during local night time hours in good observing conditions
at high latitudes (e.g. Hobart, Tas).

#1194527 - 18/05/2013 20:32 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: Ken Kato]
Ms Milo Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Angourie, North Coast NSW
Originally Posted By: Ken Kato
I'm a bit jealous of the Tasmanian's right now. The IPS has also issued an Aurora Alert for the higher latitudes for the impending major geomagnetic storm levels:

SUBJ: IPS AURORA ALERT HIGH LATITUDES
ISSUED AT 0920 UT ON 18 May 2013 BY IPS RADIO AND SPACE SERVICES
FROM THE AUSTRALIAN SPACE FORECAST CENTRE

Geomagnetic storm in progress. Aurora may be observed
during local night time hours in good observing conditions
at high latitudes (e.g. Hobart, Tas).

Jealous indeed

#1194591 - 19/05/2013 14:27 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: Ms Milo]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Gosh I'd love to see an aurora first hand. It would be trully mesmerizing.
In my blog, for the end of April, I had a feeling (and mentioned) that auroras may be seen in places not usually privvy to this spectacle. This was based on feelings only and not any knowledge of what was to occur at this time. I was 'out' by a couple of weeks, but fairly close I s'pose.
Thanks SunnyDays for your informative posts on all things solar. I wish I had more time to study this genre of science wink
Cheers, Duck.

#1194967 - 21/05/2013 21:06 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
GDL Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Bowen Mountain NSW
At 6.42 tonight i was looking at the moon, as i watched the clouds mooveing across the moon i noticed a dark line that strea ched from north to south as it traveled towards the east,the line seemed to move as fast as the sun rises above the horizon at dawn.My question to all of the very cleaver posters at WZ was the shadow caused by the sun well after it had set ,thanks in anticipation. ..........GDL

#1194991 - 21/05/2013 22:36 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Ken, Ms Milo and Duckweather I feel the same and would love to see the aurora first hand. Could you imagine though how strong an CME would need to be for most of us to see an aurora at our latitudes... ooh I shudder to think wink

I haven't been able to pay much attention over the last couple of days, so much is happening in my little world. Sometimes I wish I had a remote control where I could press the 'pause' button. But let us see and recap what our star has been up to over the weekend. I wanted to do a quick report tonight as I won't have computer access until next Monday night. Unless I hijack my husbands computer, our floors are being re-sanded and I am not going to relocate mine to another area of the house, the place is a mess...Rrrrrr

Solar Update

Active region 1748 didn't quite deliver another X-Class flare nor a really high M-Class flare despite guestimations by myself and NOAA, last Thursday. It did however produce a low level M3-Class Solar flare instead a day later. It has reduced in size considerably and is now only around 140 millionths in area, I believe it still harbors energy for X-Class flares with a 'Beta-Gamma-Delta' configuration. The spot count within this active region is around 25. AR1748 is directly Earth facing at present, so any CME's as a result of a Solar flare would deliver a glancing blow to Earth.

Here is a video I recorded on Helioviewer which only just captures all four X-Class flares, I overlayed the 131 & 171 Angstroms, such a pretty green colour http://helioviewer.org/?movieId=9m395

So for now we cannot rule it out that at anytime it could surprise us with another very powerful flare. Below is an interesting size comparison of Earth against the size of AR1748 from spaceweather.com - photography credit goes to Goran Strand or Froson, Sweden and what a great image it is taken back on 16 May 2013.

Now for a very brief, little more controversial look at Sun Earth connectivity

I will explain the following briefly at a high level and in layman's as the night is getting away from me, my husband keeps chatting to me smile

Windspeed:
I know I mentioned in a prior post about Solar wind speeds and when it could possibly trigger larger quakes. Now as it happens I forgot to pay attention to exactly when wind speeds dropped to below 360km/sec after 17 May 2013, as I think from memory there was another large quake in the last day or two. But the key with this observation is the timing of the large quake, did it occur as the CME/Solar wind struck the magnetosphere to within a couple of hours or after Solar winds died down to below average speeds (always under 400km/sec)- after the event. Wind speed, velocity and density is one element. In a past post, last year sometime, the timing of a quake occurred as the Solar winds hit Earth's magnetosphere as it did so with such force but didn't really trigger one after Solar winds subsided. Observe when wind speeds either elevate or decrease quickly with incoming Solar winds.

To measure/observe Solar wind speed Click Here

Ionization:
Now where the quake occurs is more complex and has a lot to do with where on Earth - the part exposed in daylight hours at the time - the ionization (disturbances in the ionosphere) was at its most concentrated. Ultimately causing ground heating you could almost call it. You will sometimes note an ionization map used in Solarwatcher's videos. He will use this as just one part of pinpointing location.

This map can be found in real time at:The Australian Govt. Bureau of Meteorology, IPS Radio & Space Services website, Click Here Have a read of it all if you like. To be right on top of this type of location pinpointing takes up a lot of time, considering you are bringing a lot of other key Solar observations into the equation.

Crikey shared in the Earthquake thread this article titled 'Influences of solar cycles on earthquakes'
http://www.academia.edu/1827859/Influences_of_Solar_Cycles_on_Earthquakes
Which by the way is a great find Crikey well done and thank you for sharing. Have a read folks, it isn't too hard to follow.

Symbolically I read somewhere the following and keep this in the back of your mind when observing Solar winds:

* Coronal Holes are ultimately tears on the Sun's surface exposing the Corona, just like Earthquakes tearing apart Earth's surface. Therefore Solar winds from Coronal Holes are symbolically more likely to trigger the strongest quakes not so much from Solar flare activity and incoming CME's. If coupled together it gets interesting when winds subside.
* Prominence and filament eruptions are Solar plasma at times exploding up, off and away from the Sun's surface, so on Earth what's similar is volcanic eruptions of hot lava rising up from our Earth's core, and more often than not being ejected up into the air. So on the odd occasion take note of this observation, harder to do though, every now and than I might just see if any of our sleeping giants stir when a very large eruption takes place. The most responsive to this is Mt Etna.

Earthquakes are puzzling in nature and known to be migratory, they will follow patterns or paths, especially deeper ones, I remember reading that some years ago.

There is another method, that of symmetry, looking at longitude and latitudes on the Sun and transposing that onto Earth, maybe it is less technical to do it this way, I'm not sure. So where ever the Coronal hole is on the Sun, will most likely be the place on Earth the quake will occur, sort of it that makes sense. I have never attempted this method, just never had the time.

Another interesting tit bit is when you observe very large expansive Coronal Holes that cover a fair amount of the Solar disc you will notice an increase in activity directly following there appearance. It certainly happened this time, so from now on lets remember this one and see if it happens again. Not forgoing this time there was also a sun diving comet, that too is something to consider on how they affect the Sun. This I have observed many times over.

Now to change the topic entirely as this just caught my eye. A filament eruption near AR1748 http://helioviewer.org/?movieId=RpK95

Well folks I could waffle on all night but must get my beauty sleep. There is a new sunspot active region recently renumbered to AR1755 which made an entire rotation (it was old sunspot 1731) it appears to be quite active and may produce more Solar activity in coming days. It released an M1.7-Class Solar flare last night.

Take care all, stay safe
SDx

Edited by SunnyDays (21/05/2013 22:40)

#1195391 - 23/05/2013 20:22 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
This is some very interesting current info on solar activity, etc..
Space Weather Station
The tabs at the top link to other interesting pages on this site as well.
Cheers Duck.

#1195404 - 23/05/2013 22:39 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Evening,

I'm stuck on my iPhone high on the first two layers of polish on our wooden floors smile hope this works!

GDL... I'm wondering if what you sore were anticrespucular rays? Otherwise I would be quite baffled as to what it could have been smile

BIG Asteroid Due Shortly

I want to be able to give those of you with telescopes a headsup of a very large near Earth Asteriod due past at the end of May. Below is on Spaceweather.com

Quote:
A BIG ASTEROID APPROACHES: Near-Earth asteroid 1998 QE2 is approaching the Earth-Moon system for a flyby on May 31st. There's no danger of a collision; at closest approach the asteroid will be 3.6 million miles away. Even at that distance, however, the 1.7-mile-wide space rock will be an easy target for mid-sized backyard telescopes. Using a 14-inch Celestron, Alberto Quijano Vodniza of Narino, Colombia took this picture of 1998 QE2 on May 17th:

Quote:
The sunlit side of the asteroid will turn more squarely toward Earth during the first week of June. At that time it will reach a maximum brightness of 11th magnitude.

NASA radars will be monitoring the flyby, too. "Asteroid 1998 QE2 will be an outstanding radar imaging target at Goldstone and Arecibo and we expect to obtain a series of high-resolution images that could reveal a wealth of surface features," says radar astronomer Lance Benner of JPL. "Whenever an asteroid approaches this closely, it provides an important scientific opportunity to study it in detail to understand its size, shape, rotation, surface features, and what they can tell us about its origin."

Could be quite fun to try and pin point in the nights sky - stay tuned for updates on how to observe.

Good night folks - tomorrow ill do a report as there was some activity on our star today.

SDx

#1196128 - 28/05/2013 22:05 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Solar Update

Howdy folks I am back online smile and have my computer back. Boy what a couple of busy days moving the house around to accommodate the floors being done.

Let us take a look at the Sun and what she has been up to in my absence...

She has been busy with many fiery eruptions over the last week so much so I will skip around a little in my report tonight

If we look at the Sun as I type this there are 3 sizable filaments on the Sun's surface, one monstrous one. The image below is a snapshot using both the 304 & 211 Angstroms overlayed. It also highlights the very large Coronal hole which is near Earth facing. Winds from this Coronal Hole are expected 1-2 June 2013 UTC.

Helioviewer.org

Oh wow have I missed all the action... take a look at this stunning video over the last two days showing not only the formation of the filaments but a couple of beautiful prominence eruptions and a bright solar flares.

http://helioviewer.org/?movieId=FdR95

The imagery is so breathtaking I went back and also recorded the last week below to capture more, oh how I love our burning bundle of joy smile It may take time to load as I slowed it down to give you more time to observe. Watch the movie a couple of time concentrating on just a quarter of the Sun at a time. Explosive action all over and no doubt has manifested on Earth.

http://helioviewer.org/?movieId=DhR95

Exploring Clouds At The Edge Of Space

There is a new Feature on Spaceweather.com - Noctilucent Clouds

When you go to the home page on http://www.spaceweather.com you will notice on the bottom left hand side menu bar a new segment where they will be posting daily satellite images of noctilucent clouds (NLC's). The data is coming directly from NASA's AIM spacecraft. You can switch the view to either Europe, USA, Asia or Polar.

Here is the link to AIM - http://aim.hamptonu.edu/

AIM stands for 'The Aeronomy of Ice in the Mesosphere' (AIM). This mission study's these clouds which are also known as Polar Mesospheric Clouds or PMCs. It is this time of year noctilucent clouds can be spotted around the poles and in higher latitudes around the globe. They are absolutely stunning to see.

Below is an example of what they appear like in the night sky

So enjoy the new feature and explore the website if you would like to learn more about them - it has quite a bit of information on it.

Electron Storm

Earth has been experiencing for the last 24 hours a very intense Electron Storm where high energy electrons are swarming around Earth. The source is from Solar Winds buffeting Earth's magnetic field. Wind speeds are currently a very high 737km/sec, the solar winds peaked at 805km/sec earlier this afternoon. The furtherest South the BZ component registered on the IMF is -6 nt which isn't too bad.

Our magnetic field has been taking a wee pounding over the last couple of days and it will be interesting to see if Solar winds get a chance to dip below 400km/sec before the winds from the large Coronal hole reach Earth, they could dip quite suddenly, so keep a watchful eye open.

Active Regions

Big Old Sunspot AR1748 never managed to produce any further strong Solar flares before rotating off the Solar disc. Currently there are 5 active regions with a total sunspot count of 87 so a big reduction in sunspot activity compared to the last fortnight.

Interesting Facts on our Sun

Did you know any of the following...

- 109 Earths would be required to even fit across the Sun's disc
- The Earth could fit inside the Sun approximately 1 million times
- Due to the speed at which the sun moves, its impossible for a solar eclipse to last any longer than 7 minutes and 58 seconds
- A maximum of 5 Solar eclipses only can occur in an year
- The Sun orbits around the center of our Milky Way galaxy once every 240 million years
- The mass of Sun is 1.989 x 1030 kg (Approximately 2 million trillion trillion kilograms) heavy girl smile
- The density of matter at the Sun's core is about 150 times the density of water in the Earth
- The light takes 8.3 minutes to travel from the Sun to Earth
- The Sun exhibits differential rotation. The rotation period in the equator is about 25 days, whereas in the polar regions it is as high as 36 days
- The luminosity of the Sun is equivalent to the luminosity of 4 trillion trillion light bulbs of 100 watt
- Around a trillion neutrinos from the Sun will pass through your body while you read this sentence
- Among the Sun and the Moon, which one is larger, when viewed from our Earth ? Both are almost similar sized, when viewed from the Earth. Since the orbits of both Moon and Earth are elliptical, at certain times the Moon will be larger than the Sun and at certain other times the Sun will be larger than the Moon

Hubble Spacecraft

Now I haven't covered much on our expansive Solar System or areas beyond as well this is a Spaceweather thread but every now and than I have to share something spectacular.

Tonight I quickly want to show you the 'Horsehead Nebula' and this photo is just the most incredible image of it. It is also known as the Barnard 33 located in the constellation of Orion (or Orion Nebula M42). The magnificent interstellar dust cloud became sculpted by stellar winds and radiation to assume a recognizable shape. The below image was taken from the Hubble spacecraft.

The Hubble spacecraft only last week captured the image below of the 'Ring Nebula'. Here is a link to more information on how Hubble reveals the Ring Nebula's true shape http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hubble/science/ring-nebula.html

The link to the Hubble website is here http://hubblesite.org/
And what can I say the imagery captured is incredibly beautiful and mind blowing - enjoy smile

Well on that note time has ticked by too fast and it's bed time.
So sweet dreams and lets see what unfolds on our Star in the coming week.

Take care
SDx

#1196777 - 31/05/2013 22:43 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

On the Surface of the Sun smile

I have no idea what just hit the Solar instruments today on SDO but something shakes up the images, take a look!

Below is some spectacular footage over the last 24 hours

Solar Tornadoes

Happening right now.... http://helioviewer.org/?movieId=bZR95

C1.3 Solar Flare With Large Filament Eruption

171 Angstrom - http://helioviewer.org/?movieId=BZR95

304 Angstrom - http://helioviewer.org/?movieId=xZR95

The Sun has been an interesting hive of activity over the last fortnight or so. I will do a report tomorrow. We may have an interesting week or so ahead, the very large Coronal Hole is now Earth facing smile

Sweet Dreams it is the weekend
Take Care
SDx

#1197886 - 06/06/2013 20:00 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

THE ARIETIDS METEOR SHOWER - DAYTIME EVENT

I haven't logged in all week and forgot to inform you all earlier, this meteor shower peaks JUNE 7/8 .

Here are some facts about this particular meteor shower as it is a daytime event.

- The Arietid meteor shower is the strongest daylight shower of the year. It lasts from late May until early July, and peaks on June 8th.

- Arietid meteors stream out of the constellation Aries; their source is unknown, although some astronomers suspect they come from the sungrazing asteroid Icarus.

- Arietid meteoroids hit Earth's atmosphere with a velocity of 39 km/s (87,000 mph).

I have read anywhere between 40-60 meteors an hour could be possible

I believe you can see this from both Northern and Southern skies and therefore would need to get up early and try looking just before sunrise. The Arietid radiant rises in the east about 45 minutes before the sun. (This is true for observers in both of Earth's hemispheres, north and south.) Here is the map for Southern latitudes

This image shows the area of sky around the Arietid radiant (indicated by a red dot) as seen from mid-northern latitudes at 4 a.m. on June 8th

Pre-dawn Arietids tend to be "Earthgrazers"--meteors that skim horizontally through the upper atmosphere from radiants near the horizon. Spectacular Earthgrazers are usually slow and bright, streaking far across the sky--worth waking up for!

So not sure if any of you might like to see if you can spot some?

I will do a solar report in the coming day's just been so so busy.

SDx

#1197950 - 07/06/2013 11:07 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
Harmony Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Faulconbridge
Just read this article.
http://mbtimetraveler.com/2013/06/05/our-sun-has-a-huge-hole-in-it/

it's what Sunny days Solar update post talks about with the Coronal holes

Edited by Harmony (07/06/2013 11:09)

#1197989 - 07/06/2013 15:55 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
Ken Kato Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Both the SWPC and IPS have issued a geomagnetic warning for the next few days.

Per IPS:

SUBJ: IPS GEOMAGNETIC DISTURBANCE WARNING 13/12 ISSUED AT 0217UT/07 JUNE 2013 BY THE AUSTRALIAN SPACE FORECAST CENTRE.

A CME from a disappearing solar filament has arrived earlier than anticipated and is accompanied by a strongly southward pointing magnetic field. This is producing Minor Storm levels of activity in polar regions and may produce Active conditions at mid latitudes over the next 1-2 days. Note that this warning supersedes the lower Ap value given in the daily report at 2330UT on the 6th of June.

INCREASED GEOMAGNETIC ACTIVITY EXPECTED DUE TO CORONAL MASS EJECTION FROM 07-09 JUNE 2013
09 Jun: Unsettled to Active

Edited by Ken Kato (07/06/2013 15:56)

#1200348 - 22/06/2013 17:26 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Thanks for posting Harmony and Ken, Always feel free to pop in here and post smile

Hi Everyone, time for a very well overdue update on our burning bundle of joy. I came down with a really bad cold that floored me, spent a whole week in bed with a very high temp. I now know the roof of our bedroom intimately. I'm not quite mended but am getting there, lots of lemon juice and bicarb is doing the trick. Plus sunshine and rest, so I was somewhat absent but am back to share our Stars goings on.

NEAR SPOTLESS SUN

Gosh where to begin, since my last post back around the 28/05 when there was a very sizable Coronal Hole, the Sun did something quite unpredictable. On or around 11 June the Sun almost turned spotless! The image below shows only one active region on the Solar disc which was AR1765 and contained within this region were only 14 Sunspots. If the Sun had become entirely spotless this would have been the first spotless day on the Solar disc since 2011. Click here to see a graph showing the decline and how it bounced back (3rd column along under NOAA)

Below is an graph/image of the blankest Years from 1849 to 2009.

As the above graph only goes to 2009 you might be interested to know in 2010 there were 51 spotless days, 2011 - 2 spotless days, None in 2012 and so far none in 2013.

But she has bounced back. If you would like to view a comprehensive report daily of all the activity on the Sun go to http://www.solen.info/solar/ Click on the blue links and scroll down the page to explore all the information provided.

A SQUARE SUN

Actually you might like this image of a square sunset that was shared on Spaceweather.com taken on June 6th by Jan Koeman while he was watching the sunset from Lauwersoog. Apparently inversions in the atmosphere gave it an odd shape. Photo credit to Jan Koeman as it is quite a cool photo.

SIX MONTHS IN A BEER CAN:

I thought I might share this with you as it is done every year and something a little different.

When the Summer solstice arrives each year it means in the Netherlands it's time to open up the beer cans around the Philippus Landsbergen Observatory in Middleberg. Not to drink though but to capture something quite unique. Every year, astronomers at the observatory help members of the public make beer-can solargraphs to record and track the motion of the Sun across the sky.

So after six months of observations the solargraphs are opened to reveal the exact movement of the Sun. And below is what they found

The image above shows the movement of the Sun with 1 single shot of 6 months exposure time. The lowest arcs were traced by the winter Sun of Dec 2012. The highest arc was made by the Sun June 20 on the eve of the Summer solstice. The gaps you see in each line are where there were clouds (cloudy days or bad weather). Pretty cool hey.

If you would like to attempt to make a Solargraph yourself here are some 'how to guides'
Number 1 Click Here
Number 2 Click Here
Number 3 a video which I found

Might be a good fun project for the kids smile

Summer Solstice Solar Flare

As mentioned above the Northern hemisphere's Summer solstice has begun and the Sun celebrated by producing a stunning long duration M2-Class Solar flare, it came from AR1777.

Below is a still image of the explosion which produced a CME that may have a small Earthbound component.

Here is solarwatcher's video sharing information on the M2-Class Solar flare

THE SUN NOW

Our star as we read this post has seven active regions with a total sunspot tally of 135 (back to expected average) on the Solar disc. AR1772, AR1775 and AR1777 pose a threat for M-Class Solar flares with a 30% possibility of more occurring in the next 24-48 hours.

There is once again a very large Coronal Hole in the Northern Hemisphere, Earth is currently inside the Solar winds produced by this wide gaping expansive hole. Solar winds are up around 590km/sec. It will be interesting to observe if any large earthquakes manifest due to the coinciding of the Supermoon (on 23/06) whilst Earth is feeling the effects of these Solar winds??

Well on that note I might toddle off to warm the house up and start to think of what to have for dinner. I bought an organic homemade chicken pie from WrayOrganics I think that might just be something to sink the old teeth into.

Have a lovely weekend
Take care and if anything exciting happens I will let you know.

Cheers
SDx

P.S. Here is a link of the last 48 hours showing AR1777 rotating onto the solar disc - quite active lets keep our eye on this one, stunning imagery and captures the M2-Class Solar flare smile

http://helioviewer.org/?movieId=HQt95

Enjoy wink

Edited by SunnyDays (22/06/2013 17:32)
Edit Reason: corrected link

#1201417 - 26/06/2013 21:15 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
SunnyDays Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Solar Update

Evening folks smile

Since my last post the Sun maintained a small burst of Solar activity for a day to two but has since quietened. None of the sunspots on the Solar disc pose any threat for strong flares.

Back on the 22 June Solar winds increased to 642km/sec from the large coronal hole that was directly Earth facing. These Solar winds stayed heightened for around 48 hours.

On 23 June a new active region that turned onto the Solar disc produced an impulsive M2.9-Class Solar flare. It was around active region 1778. It produced a minor radiation storm that registered a S1 level.

In this quick video from helioviewer.org you will observe the Solar flare I shared with you last time from AR1777 on the 21/06 as it rotated onto the Solar disc. Next on the 23/06 you will note AR1778 rotate onto the Solar disc and produce an eruption (not as spectacular - a short burst).

http://helioviewer.org/?movieId=RPz95

Jupiter approaching our Sun

In the below video I recorded from Helioviewer, Jupiter is approaching the Sun. I overlayed SOHO's LASCO C2 instrument over the 304 Angstrom so you can observe the Sun inside the Coronograph. It allows you to see exactly what the Sun looked like behind the black round image. You will also note one large object scoot across the image smile

http://helioviewer.org/?movieId=qPz95

Currently on the Sun we have 7 active regions with a total sunspot talley of 91.
You will also note there is a sizable trans-equatorial coronal hole currently directly facing Earth.
Winds from this coronal hole will reach Earth on or around 29-30 June.

Now to save the best till last......

NASA's IRIS Mission to Launch Tommorrow

The latest Solar observatory is scheduled to launch 27 June (tomorrow) and it is going to be so cool!!! Actually 15 hours 20 minutes and 40 seconds smile

The IRIS, short for 'Interface Region Imaging Spectograph', is a 7 foot long spacecraft designed to view the Sun's surface up close and personal. It will do this by pointing it's ultraviolet telescope at the sun to discern features as small as 150 miles across. Lying just above the suns surface is what they call an enigmatic region of the solar atmosphere it is called the interface region. A relatively thin region, just 3,000 to 6,000 miles thick, this is what IRIS will study in detail as it has previously been difficult to view this region of the Sun's surface.

Here is a quick video titled 'IRIS: The Science of NASA's Newest Solar Explorer'

This image from the joint NASA-Japan Aerospace Exploration Agencys Hinode mission shows the lower regions of the suns atmosphere, the interface region (between photosphere and corona), which IRIS, will study in exquisite detail. Isn't it the most incredible image, looks like a swan. Just think of all the beautiful images we will be able to see going forward.

Here is an image of the IRIS spacecraft with some workers, how cool would it be to work on a spacecraft?

Here is a link to the IRIS mission's latest updates http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/iris/index.html

So once IRIS is launched there will be a period on 60 days of post flight checks to ensure all is working well. Then hopefully IRIS will begin to beam back images for us to view. Not sure which site yet will host images, but you know me I will be keenly waiting for updates, hopefully a dedicated site will be set up, lets wait and see.

On that note I will bid you good night. No doubt a good night for some footy followers and maybe even for some on the political front hehehe but I won't go there wink
Stay warm as boy it was a wee bit chilly this morning.

Take Care
SDx

#1201441 - 26/06/2013 23:48 Re: Solar Watch - Spaceweather 2011 - 2013 [Re: SunnyDays]
Arnost Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Sunny - thank you for your passion for stuff solar. It is absolutely wonderful to read! As I said elsewhere - whilst you haven't been rewarded with much interaction from the rest of the forum, it is appreciated. Please keep it up - it is fascinating.

Cheers - Arnost

And this of course applies to scientific principles. Never compromise these. Never! [Follow the science and you will be shown correct in the end...]

Page 16 of 32 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 31 32 >

Who's Online
16 registered (slipperyfish, Pete R, RC, justme, Jimi, StormCapture, Sidney, ThD Ht, snowforus, Foehn Correspondent, Steve O, kizz, 4 invisible), 257 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
stormryder, Taylsy, Willoughby
Forum Stats
29368 Members
32 Forums
23682 Topics
1461969 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image