Topic Options
#1435091 - 25/09/2017 16:49 We'd like another weather station, please, if it's not too much trouble
Graham M Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Boambee East near Coffs Harbou...
We (Coffs Harbour) had our hottest September day in seventy years of records yesterday. As often happens, a powerful norwester was competing with a decent seabreeze, and at the location of the official recording site, the airport, on a plain around a kilometre from the sea, the temperature would jump or dive up to ten degrees depending on which was winning.

Records have been kept at Coffs for about seventy years, but for reasons best known to themselves, the BoM moved the recording site just a few hundred metres a few years ago, so that strictly speaking, we can only say it was our hottest September day for four years, which isn't nearly as impressive...

With this frequent tussle between sea breezes and hot winds from inland, the temperature difference between the airport and the centre or west of the city can be vast. (If the BoM's site was right on the coast, they'd probably be even more dramatic.) Five degrees is not unusual, and, if the thermometer in my car can be relied upon, I have been known to observe differences of ten degrees when I leave home and drive to Muttonbird Island for my twice-daily constitutional.

This graph compares readings at the BoM site and my site yesterday and today, including the extreme highs. I'm a few extra kilometres inland (and a bit further south).

We hear of all the wonderful advances in meteorology technology, but I reckon in a city the size of Coffs, where the terrain is quite distinctive (the mountains virtually come down to the sea), it would make a lot of sense to have a recording site in the centre of town. So what about it, BoM? (I'm not holding my breath.)

#1435111 - 25/09/2017 21:30 Re: We'd like another weather station, please, if it's not too much trouble [Re: Graham M]
Blair Trewin Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
For what it's worth, the two years of overlapping data revealed no significant differences between the two airport sites so they can be considered as a single site for record purposes.

(I've forgotten why the site moved, but often when airport sites move it's because the airport owners want to develop the land for something else).

#1435133 - 26/09/2017 07:08 Re: We'd like another weather station, please, if it's not too much trouble [Re: Graham M]
Graham M Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Boambee East near Coffs Harbou...
I was hoping I'd hear from you, Blair. I was looking forward to reading...

You're absolutely right. Coffs is not well served with the weather station at its current site. I've just taken a Stevenson screen to the couriers, and you can expect it all to be up and running within a week.

But no such luck. Cynicism aside, I appreciate you taking the time to respond, Blair.

wink

Who's Online
15 registered (Sidney, Snowies, ThunderBob, Cheers, Kino, Mick O'Halloran, Homer, Steve777, Foehn Correspondent, duckweather, Perfect Storm, ashestoashes, slipperyfish, 2 invisible), 346 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
avalon, philiphart, Ravenous2411, Sasho
Forum Stats
29421 Members
32 Forums
23735 Topics
1469483 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image