Page 130 of 130 < 1 2 ... 128 129 130
Topic Options
#1438370 - 21/10/2017 22:27 Re: Earthquakes [Re: cold@28]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi Julie, that is very kind of you thankyou.

It's all good. I know many folks come and visit this thread on a regular basis. And as i have said many times, I am an amateur who can get my observations wrong and sometimes right. I am not always focused [in the the last 18 months] and that shows with my lesser number of posts. Having said that, I also realize that there will be a percentage of folks who may look out the corner of their eye at my posts and agree with me and some that may not. But I do feel that I am mostly 'liked' for what I rattle on about in my posts and some may secretly feel I am a bit eccentric smile But it is all good, as I said. I do get some wonderful feedback from the good folks here, and there are other wonderful commentors/posters here too who share this thread and my interest in what makes our Earth move.

I don't feel 'lonely' here, but I must admit it is great when other folks jot a post/comment and share our observations and thoughts and info. wink

As I mentioned above, I have been rather thin on my posts in the last 18 months, since the beginning of 2016 and through to recently, due to many distractions and some personal tragedies and those of some of my closest friends. [Yes this is an EQ thread, and there are some folks who may feel that I should not put personal life stuff here, but I'm ok with offering small amounts for those who would like to understand my absences and sometimes vagueness in posts in the previous 18 months]. So hopefully from now on I will be more engaged with this thread and get my silly old 'radar' or 'feelings' regarding potential earth movements back on track.

Anyway Julie and folks, Australia is still rattling along - WA in Southern Cross has come up with an M2.7 [prelim] in the last hour and a half.

Oh and by the way, that tremor in the Barwon Region in Victoria has temporarily been pegged at 27kms - a very interesting depth for an Aussie tremor. An obscure thought/question of mine is - has is this energy [which has driven this tremor] come in from deep [approx 30 or so kms] under the shelf which runs off into the depths of Bass Strait below Victoria? [this kind of shelf system is found all around Oz generally]....curious.

Anyway, cheers from Duck.

#1438397 - 22/10/2017 10:24 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wollongong, NSW, Aus
Duck, seems the earth has been pretty quiet for a long time re: mega quakes (Mexico aside); what're your thoughts re: the next big one & tsunamis?

I've had a recurrent dream of the east coast of Aus copping a decent tsunamis.

#1438708 - 24/10/2017 10:24 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Kino]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Kino and all.

I feel that there will unfortunately come a time/day when we will see another mega tsunami - it is in the nature of the planet to throw up a nasty event like that at some point in time. There can be precursors noticeable and sometimes [if my memory serves me correctly] possibly no precursors for the tragic Indian Ocean tsunami [NE of the ocean] which killed so, so many people [250,000] on that fateful Boxing day of 2004.

There are many instruments posted around the world - at sea and on land - and more since this awful 2004 disaster - which will hopefully assist in offering more information on areas which may succumb to a major shift and cause another disaster.

I met a very interesting person yesterday, who works part time with the BOM as a monitor of the ocean/sea buoys. He and I had a great conversation [two EQ and natural event nerds together chatting about this stuff was fun] and he reminded me that not only do the buoys sense sea/water movements and changes, that they also have EQ sensors to register seismic activity on the sea floor. So, these buoys and the many extra ones which seem to have been deployed since some of the past disasters, should and will help identify an important sea floor and coastal precursors of quakes and/or tremor activity.

There are some places on this planet which are being noticeably observed [talked about quite a bit on social media and other sites] for their potential to cause a serious EQ - combined with tsunami event. There is one in the Canary Islands. It is felt that on of the volcanoes there may collapse and cause a mega-tsunami at some point in the future.

Another region discussed on science sites, social media and in the U.S. and Canadian press particularly, is the Cascadia Zone west of Canada.

If you have followed my posts mentioned the Cascadia region, I have mentioned that what I see with this region is - when the west coast of the U.S. gets up a good run of EQ's/tremors - along with the southern regions of Alaska - the Canadian west coast responds to this pressure with a tremor or two. I personally feel [not via scientific opinion or knowledge] that if the energy in these two regions [U.S. and Alaska] have a serious build up of energy causing multiple quakes for their respective locations, that Canada west may give into the 'squeeze'or referred energy and come up with a quake - which has happened on many occasions. But as far as a larger quake setting off a tsunami there [Canada west], it may be the result of super pent up energy causing a slip in a shelf or a fault line or plate edge to be given a good shove. I feel that the San Andreas fault line [where it heads offshore SW of Eureka/U.S and extends its energy up into the Cascadia] may also have some part to play in possibly energy being driven into the Cascadia. When or how that will occur is beyond my knowledge and one day in some place in the future it may just occur suddenly. But having said that, it is not for my to predict its occurrence. It may not be in my lifetime.

There are so many coastal shelf's around the planet. Australia is surrounded by them too. There was some talk a while ago about the shelf system in the Coral Sea off the QLD coast and sections between there an the Pacific Islands. There is a shelf [if I have my facts correct] in Bass Strait.....and there are others around our continent. Some too encroach into our lands. So shelfs can pose a problem for many countries if they have enough energy [earth movement] driven into or under them to shift or at worst collapse.

There have been civilizations in history which have gone down into the sea with quakes and land slips. Some are only being discovered now. I am sure many of these would have caused tsunamis.

We live on an active planet, and hopefully our modern experiences of mega tsunamis and shelf shifts will be rare in our lifetimes - if ever happening at all. Maybe it will take another 1000 years or more before Mother earth decides to 'shuffle her cards' once more and potentially cause such a cataclysm.

But folks I am no scientist - I am just an amateur observer. I work off intuition and possible energy patterns.

Anyway folks, notice how more tremors are coming up in the general bass Strait region? This includes those tremors in Victoria which are not far from the coast. The last tremor was offshore near the border of Vic and SA. I feel the energy for these tremors is possibly coming from the south.

I am aware of the other quakes coming up on the planet, including the M6 SW of Africa.

For now, Duck.

#1438941 - 25/10/2017 20:18 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I meant to add some info I have been looking at regarding the large receding of sea levels in Uruguay and Brazil recently. At the same time, apparently, the sea levels on the other side of the continent rose above normal. This has been happening in other locations on the planet too according to the following article:

Article here Major Water Receding.... Read the comments of the folks reporting on other events.

I found these events very interesting.

For now, Duck.

#1438959 - 25/10/2017 22:17 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again [2nd post for today]

We just had a very faint and short jolt here. Rather small, but a movement all the same. I thought it was a bit 'quiet'/eerie here in the last 10 minutes. Maybe Vic is in for another small tremor or there has just been one..... will see if Geoscience recorded anything....

For now, Duck.

#1438961 - 25/10/2017 22:21 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Wow at those vids - why?

#1438966 - 25/10/2017 22:29 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Kino]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Kino.

I don't know why this is happening. I haven't researched it enough yet to work out or discover why these sea behaviours are happening. Some people seem to think it is the result of the gravitational effect of another planet....or an earth wobble....??

I querie [brainstorming in my own mind actually] whether it is gravitational...?? or a sea floor event in the Atlantic [for e.g.]??..or a plate tilt??...or some atmospheric anomaly????

It is very interesting none-the-less. I reckon an answer may come to the fore soon - well I hope so smile

Cheers, Duck

#1439964 - 31/10/2017 12:16 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hey Duck - we said it'd been quiet - and then bam!

A large 7 magnitude earthquake has hit the Loyalty Islands in New Caledonia, however there is no tsunami threat to the east coast of Australia at this time.

Image via Bureau of Meteorology.
Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology

MEDIA:
NO USE OF STANDARD EMERGENCY WARNING SIGNAL (SEWS)
PLEASE BROADCAST THIS INFORMATION IF REFERRING TO THE EARTHQUAKE IN NEWS REPORTS.
********************************************************************************

NO TSUNAMI THREAT TO AUSTRALIA
Issued by the Joint Australian Tsunami Warning Centre (JATWC) at 11:53 AM AEDT on
Tuesday 31 October 2017

********************************************************************************
SUMMARY:
An undersea earthquake of magnitude 7.0 has occurred at 11:42 AM AEDT on Tuesday
31 October 2017 near the LOYALTY ISLANDS.

THERE IS NO TSUNAMI THREAT TO THE AUSTRALIAN MAINLAND, ISLANDS OR TERRITORIES.

For further information check the Bureau's website www.bom.gov.au/tsunami or call
1300 TSUNAMI (1300 878 6264).

No further updates will be issued unless the situation changes.
DETAILS:
An undersea earthquake of magnitude 7.0 has occurred at 11:42 AM AEDT on Tuesday
31 October 2017 near the LOYALTY ISLANDS (latitude 21.53S, longitude 168.89E).
The JATWC has assessed that there is NO TSUNAMI THREAT TO THE AUSTRALIAN
MAINLAND, ISLANDS OR TERRITORIES from this earthquake.

No further updates will be issued unless the situation changes.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
Call 1300 TSUNAMI (1300 878 6264)
Check the Bureau's web site: www.bom.gov.au/tsunami

The JATWC is operated by the Australian Bureau of Meteorology and Geoscience
Australia

#1440032 - 01/11/2017 11:02 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Kino]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Kino and all.

Doing a bit of catch-up and was aware of the biggy in New Caledonia. The quakes happening since and now in surrounding regions, including NZ, are not surprising at all. The M7 either kicked off the other quakes and/or is representative of the concerted energy built up in either the Australian Plate [getting a shove on from the SW or south of Oz] or the Pacific Plate is flexing it's muscles.

It is not beyond possibility of another larger quake coming up in the western side of the Pacific. Some of this energy may translate to and through NZ [not saying NZ will experience a large quake] and maybe down to below the South Island of NZ. Alternatively, the Kermadec Islands or White Island off northern NZ may come up with an M5+ or M5++....?

If the Pacific Plate is to blame for the movements, my mind's-eye is also tracking over to the SE side of the Pacific Ocean for the potential of a larger quake...?

Offshore Queensland may also be niggled by the activity to it's east...??

NSW east coastal regions may also be triggered to feel a couple of small tremors....???

Take all I say with a pinch of salt - I may be wrong folks.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (01/11/2017 11:03)

#1440033 - 01/11/2017 11:06 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Thanks Duck. I know nothing about quakes, hence why I read what you say. My gut feeling, take it what you will, says we are well overdue for a big one plus tsunamis ala Boxing Day.

#1440065 - 01/11/2017 16:36 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Kino]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just a quick note - a tsunami [currently I don't know the size] has been recorded in the latest New Caledonia M6'ish. More info will come to light soon.

Duck

#1440084 - 01/11/2017 21:23 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks. This is probably my 3rd post for today smile

This may sound funny [sorta], but my house just had a good rattle. The windows and the roof shook for about 2 seconds. There was a small niggle on a SE Vic seismo, but can't find anything else [seismo wise] at the moment. Can I ask if anyone else in Wantirna or elsewhere felt this? It felt like an M3...??? curious.

I haven't found anything else on the small tsunami waves that were being discussed re: New Caledonia today. So they may have been rather insignificant.

Cheers, Duck.

#1440098 - 02/11/2017 09:05 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

So far nothing has come up on Geoscience re: that bit of a rattle we had here last night. Was rather strange if it wasn't a tremor. Must have been ghosts smile

Anyway, New Caledonia has been experiencing multiple after movements and may still pop up with several more. There may be an outside chance of another M5+....? Given the size and number of quakes there, it would not surprise me if even some more [than have been] nearby locations came up with tremor/quakes as well - maybe M4+'s or another slightly larger tremor....?

Canada west coast has snuck in a tremor, following on from all of the tremors in the western U.S..

Hawaii is showing what I feel are typical responses [tremors] to the tremor/EQ action on the Pacific currently.

Anyway, for the moment, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (02/11/2017 09:06)

#1440567 - 06/11/2017 19:44 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Just watching this seismo again - here [based in Victoria] and when I see this pattern emerging - where the movement readings are gradually building over hours - this may be a precursor to another larger tremor in the west Pacific - either near the Pacific Islnads, Indonesia or below Oz. But I am feeling possibly to the east, NE of Oz. Will see if this signature on the seismo is building to another quake or it will subside.....

I am yet to catch up properly with other tremors....

For now, Duck.

#1440694 - 07/11/2017 14:14 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Warrigal, NSW, Australia
Back from 3 weeks in Japan and disappointed to not fell one single shake.

Nearest we got was a Shinkansen (Bullet train) passing through a station platform at near top speed, that is something I will never forget.

#1440803 - 08/11/2017 13:01 Re: Earthquakes [Re: ozthunder]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi ozthunder and all.

That would have been a wonderful visit to Japan. Are you sure you didn't feel any earth movements? smile The bullet train speeding through the station would have been something. I think I would gone dizzy watching the station fly past. Actually I probably would have passed out [sort of].

Anyway, the movements I anticipated for the south of Oz and east of us [Pacific Islands] and south of our continent [between Antarctica and Australia] have occurred. I correlated this possibility with what I observed in the behaviour of that seismo I put a link to. This behaviour is not always an indicator or impending biggies, but my mind's-eye was feeling ti was seeing something in the readouts. A larger tremor can still pop up even if the readings are quite tame.

Other quakes have come up across the globe, but I'll catch up with that soon.

For now, Duck.

#1440941 - 10/11/2017 16:43 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi all - a quicky post for now [as Victoria niggles along]

Have a look at this from Queensland

Duck.

#1441075 - 13/11/2017 14:01 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi all.

Well Earth's bells are ringing at the moment. With the M7.4 in Iran/Iraq and now the M7 in Costa Rica.

Our seismo [Leon Mow's not far from Melbourne] is showing irritation all over the place. This tells me that since the Iran/Iraq quake [which registered on all seismo's - just goes to show how far reaching these large quakes are - even on the other 'side'of the world] the planet has some energy bouncing off all over the place. For two large quakes come up in such a short space of time - this may signal that the larger quake activity may continue - but we will have to wait and see.

The Iran/Iraq quake has taken at least 10 lives sadly and I don't know much about the Costa Rica quake damage yet.

For now, Duck.

#1441416 - 17/11/2017 10:04 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

We just had a small rattle here. Something was registered on the Narracan seismo within the last 20 minutes. The birds went quiet and there was a small rattle in the door and cabinet next to me. Will see if Geoscience records any tremors for this.

The globe is still rattling and throwing up quakes in several places. The Pacific region, especially west, is still very active. The west coasts of the U.S., South America, Central America, Canada and Alaska [south coast + the Aleutian Island chain - in spots] is also rather active. It may not be beyond the realm of possibility that we may see another larger quake in the coming 48 hours or so. There seems to be too much unsettledness in the plates atm..

For now, Duck

Page 130 of 130 < 1 2 ... 128 129 130

Who's Online
7 registered (Wave Rider, DarrylS, bbowen, Jimi, petethemoskeet, szo, Weather Nerd), 231 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
haras, TheAnt
Forum Stats
29401 Members
32 Forums
23725 Topics
1468910 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image