Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#1442425 - 26/11/2017 23:01 Re: VIC - Continuing Heat as Instability Grows | NOV 19 - NOV 25th [Re: logansi]
Kunatua Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Keilor Park
no im just to west of ballarat- i havent update my account in a while

#1442426 - 26/11/2017 23:01 Re: VIC - Continuing Heat as Instability Grows | NOV 19 - NOV 25th [Re: logansi]
balmz Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Ferntree Gully, Melbourne, VIC
Looking at blind feeddy radar you'd think all hell is about to break loose.

#1442428 - 26/11/2017 23:05 Re: VIC - Continuing Heat as Instability Grows | NOV 19 - NOV 25th [Re: logansi]
logansi Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Portland, Southwest - Victoria
Things around Melbourne are definitely trying to get going, I am going to stay up so it won't happen though lol

#1442429 - 26/11/2017 23:18 Re: VIC - Continuing Heat as Instability Grows | NOV 19 - NOV 25th [Re: logansi]
Kunatua Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Keilor Park
that radar is crap.
there is another storm between here and beaufort. its flashing like nobdys business.

#1442437 - 27/11/2017 09:38 Re: VIC - Continuing Heat as Instability Grows | NOV 19 - NOV 25th [Re: logansi]
Homer Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Dural
Edit ; wrong state!!

Edited by Homer (27/11/2017 09:39)

#1442440 - 27/11/2017 12:00 Re: VIC - Continuing Heat as Instability Grows | NOV 19 - NOV 25th [Re: logansi]
chasers addict Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bendigo/ Kangaroo Flat, Vic Ra...
Now well over average November 64mm out of 34.7mm.

#1442450 - 27/11/2017 13:13 Re: VIC - Continuing Heat as Instability Grows | NOV 19 - NOV 25th [Re: logansi]
Petros Offline

Loc: Maffra, Central Gippsland, Vi...
No storm at Maffra yesterday, just a mm or so in showers - and nothing since.

#1442636 - 29/11/2017 00:43 Re: VIC - Continuing Heat as Instability Grows | NOV 19 - NOV 25th [Re: logansi]
aussiestormfreak Offline

Loc: Melbourne (Belgrave); Corryong...
My post for this event:

Read my report for my last day in Sydney (Monday November 20th 2017 - http://forum.weatherzone.com.au/ubbthreads.php/topics/1440990/9), which included a beautiful sunset during the flight back to Melbourne and an amazing thunderstorm near Mount Buller & Mansfield; this is the closest I've ever come to a cumulonimbus in a plane, and I ended up flying through the storm's anvil!! grin

Now for my stats from here in Belgrave:

Monday November 20th 2017

Min: NA Max: 34.8C Rain: 0mm

Tuesday November 21st 2017

Min: 17.3C Max: 37.2C Rain: 0mm

Wednesday November 22nd 2017

Min: 17.3C Max: 37.1C Rain: 0mm

Thursday November 23rd 2017

Min: 14.3C Max: 37.0C Rain: 0mm

Friday November 24th 2017

Min: 17.3C Max: 35.2C Rain: TRACE

Saturday November 25th 2017

Min: 17.5C Max: 37.0C Rain: 2.1mm

Sunday November 26th 2017

Min: 18.1C Max: 29.2C Rain: 7.4mm

Monday November 27th 2017

Min: 15.2C Max: 26.2C Rain: 3.1mm

For the most part it was hot, humid and unsettled period with plenty of sunshine, but also plenty of shower and thunderstorm action! smile

We had severe thunderstorms about the ranges to the northeast on Tuesday November 21st 2017.

Wednesday November 22nd was a brief respite; the only thing worth mentioning was smoke haze from a small bushfire in the Bunyip State Park to the east of Gembrook. Thankfully winds were light in spite of the hot weather, so the blaze didn't seem to get very far; correct me if I'm wrong. Otherwise, no storm activity to report.

Severe thunderstorm activity was much more widespread on Thursday November 23rd. Storms began developing over Melbourne around lunchtime and eventually organised into a line that threatened the Belgrave area. Unfortunately they mostly weakened as they moved in 3pm, but not before whipping up some very dark, turbulent skies with plenty of thunder and even a dangerously-close CG lightning strike! And once the storm line moved in, we enjoyed several hours of thundery rain (moderately heavy at times) with cool, gusty winds! smile

Showers and thunderstorms moved through Melbourne again later that night while I was down in Harkaway, Narre Warren North, Endeavour Hills and Dandenong; a couple of times I ran into more heavy rain. One particular storm cell flared to life at sunset over the Yarra Valley and unleashed some spectacular, dangerous lightning strikes and booming thunderclaps! smile

The action really kicked up big time on Friday November 24th! Leftover shower and storm activity from the previous day cleared by lunchtime. Once the sun returned storms began reforming, intensifying as the afternoon progressed, particularly over the highlands.

A couple of small but intense thunderstorm cells developed over the Yarra Valley to our north/northwest around 5pm and rolled southeast towards us, bringing darkness and the risk of dangerous lightning and heavy rain. But all we got was a few rumbles of thunder as they approached, followed by a couple of raindrops around 7pm (both storms weakened on approach). When the Sun came out, I caught a nice rainbow! smile

But that was just the beginning! All the while I kept watching the radar and noticed how very dark and ominous it was becoming across the northern horizon; lurking behind these two cells was the line of violent thunderstorms that would go onto smash through Melbourne's eastern suburbs later that night (unfortunately with at least one person killed by lightning).

I spent the evening down in nearby Ferntree Gully. As the Sun began its descent in the west after I arrived from Belgrave around 7:30pm, cloud increased overhead and the northern sky became increasingly dark, almost black, with a wave-like shelf cloud (tinged green) looming over the Yarra Valley and Dandenong Ranges; a severe thunderstorm warning went out around this time. As the squall line edged closer the lightning started up, initially as faint flickers but then bolts began flying about, with dangerous CGs slamming into the ground!

The shelf cloud swept overhead from the north at about 8pm, accompanied by gusty winds and followed by a dark, tumultuous mess of cumulonimbus (tinged pink, orange, yellow and red by the setting sun) with increasingly frequent and close thunder and lightning, along with spitting rain; I briefly caught sight of another faint rainbow! But over the course of an hour the impending storm front "split in two", with one intense cell forming to our northwest (towards Wantirna, Ringwood, Mitcham and Nunawading) and another equally intense storm cell sweeping southeast from the Yarra Valley into Mount Dandenong, Monbulk, Emerald and Gembrook to the east.

Thus Ferntree Gully where I was at the time didn't get a direct-hit (nor did Belgrave where I live), but up until 9pm I got treated to one of the best sound-and-light displays I've seen in a long, long time; plenty of thunder and TONNES of lighting, on average once every 5-15 seconds at various intervals! The cell to our northwest was the most lightning-active, with plenty of CCs slashing the clouds and lots of DANGEROUSLY-CLOSE CGs striking the ground!! =D

The rain was a bit heavier and winds remained quite blustery during the course of the storm (but as stated earlier the two cells missed us, so we didn't get the most torrential rainfall). The thunder and lightning stopped by about 9:15pm, and by 11pm the storm itself cleared.

More showers and storms swept down from the north up until about 2:30am on Saturday November 25th 2017; this day became the climax for me, and the Belgrave area scored a direct-hit, so please read on! wink

The bulk of the day was fairly uneventful, except for a few mostly high-based teasing showers during the early/mid-afternoon period. But by 4:30pm, the Sun disappeared and the skies to our north and northwest turned very dark as violent thunderstorms powered up and began amalgamating into one huge intense storm cluster stretching west over Melbourne's eastern suburbs! Rain and possible hail could be seen cascading over the Dandenongs as the storms raced south towards us, and by 4:45pm it became extremely dark overhead and then the thunder and lightning started up!

The cell directly overhead broke lose and dumped its precipitation just to our south (maybe with hail as the clouds were tinged green in spots, but otherwise it was very dark), but not before unleashing some EXTREMELY DANGEROUS lightning strikes (the bolts were burning into my retinas, and they struck perilously close to my house, forcing my family to disconnect the Internet) and deafening thunderclaps that nearly forced my heart into my throat!! And all the while it became very windy as another storm cell immediately to our north came charging in, and then at about 5pm it bucketed down with rain! =D

The downpour lasted about 15-20 minutes and by around 5:15pm the storm headed south, but not before unleashing a few more bolts of lightning, along with near-continuous rolling thunder! smile

The peak rainfall rate during this spectacular thunderstorm was 77mm/hr btw! But in the end I only recorded about 5mm of rain. The temperature dropped from about 32C to about 21C as the storm swept through.

The remainder of the day was cooler and mostly cloudy with showers and periods of rain that lasted well into the night.

Sunday November 26th 2017 was supposed to be a real major severe storm event for Melbourne, but it turned into an anti-climax! All I got was thundery rain while I was down in Dandenong during the morning (I didn't see any lightning but did hear thunder, and the rain was quite heavy at times), followed by some very interesting cloud structure from showers and storms over the Mornington Peninsula to the south on my way home around lunchtime.

It stayed mostly cloudy up until 4pm, followed by a warm, muggy, mostly sunny afternoon, except for some high cloud from the anvil of afternoon storms down near Geelong and the Surf Coast to the southwest, and for increasing cloudcover (during the evening) from the severe storms that were raging over Northern Victoria; the clouds from these particular storms really helped to enhance the sunset! The cool change swept in around sunset btw, ensuring we had a comfortable night. smile

Monday November 27th 2017 was still somewhat humid but otherwise a gloriously fine, warm and mostly sunny day! The only exception was a few more massive thunderstorms that yet again exploded over the highlands to the northeast of Melbourne, which I caught a glimpse of while down in Berwick. smile

A couple of my pics from this event, which I've uploaded to Instagram. More pics will follow once I get through the backlog from my trip to Sydney lol. smile

Friday November 24th 2017 - Ferntree Gully

Shelf cloud ahead of the looming severe thunderstorm
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb3_lh5gE6H/?hl=en&taken-by=aussiestormfreak

Intense CC lightning during the storm (this was the best frame from the many videos I took lol)
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb54CdlAJhW/?hl=en&taken-by=aussiestormfreak

Saturday November 25th 2017 - Belgrave

Huge dark cumulonimbus storm clouds looming overhead
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb6fVk3AMNf/?hl=en&taken-by=aussiestormfreak

My best video frame during the storm of a CG lightning strike
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb6gGamAJlB/?hl=en&taken-by=aussiestormfreak

Edited by aussiestormfreak (29/11/2017 00:47)

#1442773 - 29/11/2017 19:42 Re: VIC - Continuing Heat as Instability Grows | NOV 19 - NOV 25th [Re: logansi]
The Fishman Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Always in the wrong place.
Again storms fired up around Mansfield and Mount Bullet 😳😂😮😆

Top 11 Storms in chronological order.

#1442912 - 30/11/2017 15:17 Re: VIC - Continuing Heat as Instability Grows | NOV 19 - NOV 25th [Re: logansi]
The Fishman Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Always in the wrong place.
Everything has been deflected south today 😳👌🏻

Top 11 Storms in chronological order.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Who's Online
11 registered (liberator, drivenunder, Perfect Storm, Foehn Correspondent, marakai, Steve O, Mcbobbings, Namarrkun, scott12, 2 invisible), 74 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
MatthewBr, Raweth, Russellmill
Forum Stats
29681 Members
32 Forums
23978 Topics
1500510 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image