Page 12 of 13 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#1444561 - 10/12/2017 12:04 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: Ken Kato]
Inclement Weather Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Diamond Valley
The dust, or should I say mud, is just starting to settle. This storm completely blindsided me. We rarely get severe storms come through from the south to this part of the world. That's because most of the storms come up from the southwest and die once they reach Bald Knob up the road. However, this one came up from due south and was well and truly organised by the time it reached here from its fitful beginnings down south.

And south is where we were when we saw all this unfolding as we were more interested in having the messy rain clear for the Paul McCartney concert (which it did, and was amazing by the way). It was only when we headed home that the damage that this storm had done was opening up before out eyes after having to backtrack from several roads that had closed due to fallen trees or power lines.

One section we managed to get through was along Old Landsborough Rd after Steve Irwin Way was blocked. However, this was only after crews had cleared away swathes of fallen trees that had their thick trunks snapped off as if they were mere toothpicks. I figured that this was the result of either a tornado or a microburst such was the extent of the damage.

We finally made it home by wending our way through an obstacle course of rock debris, fallen trees, and the odd stray and dazed marsupial only to find that the infamous and aptly named Hell Hole Creek had decided that under our house was a good alternative route for itself to make. Oh well, the joys of living in paradise.

#1444568 - 10/12/2017 16:54 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: Ken Kato]
Mike Hauber Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Buderim
Just got power back after we get heavily smashed by the rain. (North West Buderim) Local drains definitely didn't cope with significant amounts of mud and leaves etc washed on roads in many places from stormwater drains. The most surprising on top of a ridge where the entire catchment for the stormwater drain was a few hundred meters of road and footpath with all the houses and yards sloping away from the road, but still leaves washed right up onto the footpath and mad over one side of the road. I'd say there would have been a torrent of water smashing down a steep driveway towards a house just opposite and hope the owners there did ok.

#1444569 - 10/12/2017 17:38 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: Mike Hauber]
Aussea Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Taree, Nsw
Yes, that was quite a hammering on the East side on top of the Buderim ridge at the house yesterday evening. I haven't seen full on sustained wind/driving rain like that for ages. The rain was literally coming in horizontal. And the lightning activity was indescribable. It went on and on for ages, and a couple of times we had momentary power on/off/on events. But we managed to stay on. Meanwhile, my neighbours behind me were blacked out and not restored for some time. This time round I fared well....

Thanks heaps to the contributors on this thread, and especially to guru-contributor Ken Kato (who I religiously follow during adverse weather events), I was fully warned in advance.....

#1444570 - 10/12/2017 17:39 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: Ken Kato]
PlumbBob Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Ashmore Gold Coast
Near coolum beach yesty: Three spouts, most probable part of the six reported/mentioned by 'sharjay' earlier page 10 (y)

FB George Berg Photog - 3 spouts pic

#1444571 - 10/12/2017 19:48 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: Ken Kato]
sharjay Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mooloolaba Sunshine Coast QLD
We faired Ok here at our place at Mountain Creek. Fair bit of torrential driving rain and white out conditions and very lightning active for almost 90 minutes. Wind here wasn't too bad. No damage but we are always pretty sheltered in our little pocket in Glenfields in weather events. Seems Landsborough/Beerwah area got smashed and have been quite surprised seeing the photos online and on the news of the devastation the storm caused out that way. Trees down everywhere and a massive machinery shed on a pineapple farm was ripped apart and landed 200 metres away. A lot of cleaning up to do out that way amongst other areas around the coast.
Big thank you to all on this forum for the exceptional advise and warnings.. we were prepared well in advance for the potential of severe storms thanks to you all.

#1444572 - 10/12/2017 20:11 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: sharjay]
Nature's Fury Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Brisbane Western Suburbs
Great to hear all the reports on here and FB. Yesterday's storm seemed to be slow-moving and particularly powerful in the GC and SC hinterlands. It became a little disorganised and fast-moving through Brisbane. Considering what the storms put out in SC I think we got lucky down here. It could have very easily been another Gap-style storm causing destruction for Brisbane.

I always find it amazing how much more powerful and widespread storms in SEQ seem to become when a good southerly change is in involved.

#1444574 - 10/12/2017 20:45 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: Nature's Fury]
Nature's Fury Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Looking at the radar signatures and reports there are a lot of similarities between the 2008 Gap storm and this one.

The 2008 Gap storm started near the border and pushed up northwards through the GC first, peaking at Canungra (140 kph winds). As it moved up toward Brisbane a lot of cells fired up to the north and west before coalescing into a deceptively messy supercell peaking over the Gap area before declining over SC hinterland.

Yesterday was extremely similar in many ways. Same initial movement through GC with an early peak near Canungra/Tambourine. It weakened on approach to Brisbane before intensifying just west of the Gap near the D'Aguilar Ranges. A lot of cells suddenly lit up to the north and west and coalesced into a big cell/front that stormed through the SC hinterland.

Perhaps another close comparison would be the 1989 Christmas Eve storm?

I think yesterday was actually stronger and more severe than the Gap storm in terms of track length but it just didn't hit as many populated areas so it won't be considered historic. Some amazing obs though with 100+ mm in 1 hour at Kin Kin and other locations coming close. Big hail reported in NE NSW and near the border. Multiple waterspouts off the coast.

Edited by Nature's Fury (10/12/2017 20:46)

#1444580 - 11/12/2017 09:50 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: Ken Kato]
Wight Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Montville, QLD
We received 25mm from Saturday's storm. Nothing particularly special about it in our location.
I drove through Landsborough and Beerwah along Steve Irwin Way to work this morning. The worst damage seems to concentrated about half a km either side of Australia Zoo. Large trees down and debris everywhere. Must have been a huge job to get the road reopened.

#1444581 - 11/12/2017 10:03 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: Nature's Fury]
LDRcycles Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Kin Kin, Qld
Originally Posted By: Nature's Fury

I think yesterday was actually stronger and more severe than the Gap storm in terms of track length but it just didn't hit as many populated areas so it won't be considered historic. Some amazing obs though with 100+ mm in 1 hour at Kin Kin and other locations coming close. Big hail reported in NE NSW and near the border. Multiple waterspouts off the coast.

I'd love to know where that figure for Kin Kin came from, the BOM gauge only showed 9mm and from my place on the other (east) side of town I would say that number is spot on. We got plenty of thunder, a bit of wind, and not much rain. Nothing I would call heavy, and certainly not even approaching 100mm/hr.

#1444582 - 11/12/2017 10:05 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: LDRcycles]
Squeako_88 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Elimbah 4516
Originally Posted By: LDRcycles

I'd love to know where that figure for Kin Kin came from, the BOM gauge only showed 9mm and from my place on the other (east) side of town I would say that number is spot on. We got plenty of thunder, a bit of wind, and not much rain. Nothing I would call heavy, and certainly not even approaching 100mm/hr.

I think Nature Fury was referring to Bli Bli near Nambour that received the 100mm+ in an hour.

Edited by Squeako_88 (11/12/2017 10:06)

#1444589 - 11/12/2017 12:41 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: Ken Kato]
ozone doug Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Roma SW QLD Eye to the West...
Just been going through the radar archive for this event ,Didn't look too bad when it went through the sunshine coast ,To me at the time. Doppler radar shows wind increase as it moves through. But shows what damage can be done too in any storm.

Edited by ozone doug (11/12/2017 12:47)
Edit Reason: Add stuff

#1444594 - 11/12/2017 14:54 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: LDRcycles]
Nature's Fury Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: LDRcycles

Whoops wrong place. I meant Bli Bli. So many weird names up that way it can get confusing.

#1444596 - 11/12/2017 15:14 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: Ken Kato]
LDRcycles Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Kin Kin, Qld
After i posted i saw the 122mm figure for Bli Bli and wondered if that might be the one.

Out of interest, i'm told that doubled up Aboriginal place names means "many", as in Kin Kin means "many black ants" (very accurate!) and Bli Bli means "many paperbarks".

#1444615 - 11/12/2017 21:21 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: Ken Kato]
sharjay Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I have a bit of a weird question and mods delete if not allowed. But we have our first dog i have owned.. maltese shih tzu..now 11 months old. started acted weird saturday by hiding under couch or desk..in dark confined areas. was trembling like mad on and off for couple hours. wouldnt eat or play and thought at one point she was sick. once storms came through that night she was back to normal. only figured out today that her odd behaviour started when those storms popped up on radar down near the border. wondering if she sensed something coming.

#1444616 - 11/12/2017 21:53 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: sharjay]
Kazz63 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Kingaroy
Originally Posted By: sharjay
I have a bit of a weird question and mods delete if not allowed. But we have our first dog i have owned.. maltese shih tzu..now 11 months old. started acted weird saturday by hiding under couch or desk..in dark confined areas. was trembling like mad on and off for couple hours. wouldnt eat or play and thought at one point she was sick. once storms came through that night she was back to normal. only figured out today that her odd behaviour started when those storms popped up on radar down near the border. wondering if she sensed something coming.
Yes, dogs can sense the coming of a storm - it's thought that it's the air pressure change that they sense, possibly the static in the air also.
Best advice is to try & act naturally which may be a long shot in a house full of storm freaks! Alternatively you can buy what is called a "storm vest". Basically it's a coat that can help calm them down by 'hugging 'them but I would definitely advise seeing your vet about them first to learn the best way to introduce them to the dog so that they don't pre-empt what it is for. Unfortunately many dogs do some amazing escape acts if they get skittish from storms & even the best 'locked up'dogs escape & that would be even worse for them.
Sometimes also called a Thunder shirt/ Thunder jacket.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

#1444618 - 11/12/2017 22:13 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: sharjay]
CirrusFibratus Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Strathpine, QLD

It is definitely caused by the storms; recently we bought something called Rescue Remedy from Petbarn, it is a liquid and you put four drops in food and it mellows them out for about three hours.

Our mini foxie was the exact same, would pace constantly and find dark places, but now she is fine during storms thanks to it.

#1444621 - 11/12/2017 22:59 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: Ken Kato]
sharjay Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Thanks Kazz & cirrusfibratus. She cant esacpe but her behaviour was worrying. took a while to figure out it co-incided with the storms 1st appearing on radar and ending once storms passed. i may check out the rescue remedy as her trembling was terrible. will be interesting to see if that behaviour happens before next bad storm.

#1444664 - 12/12/2017 17:48 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: sharjay]
Timbuck Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Highland park , Gold Coast
Thanks Kazz & cirrusfibratus. She cant esacpe but her behaviour was worrying. took a while to figure out it co-incided with the storms 1st appearing on radar and ending once storms passed. i may check out the rescue remedy as her trembling was terrible. will be interesting to see if that behaviour happens before next bad storm.

Very common problem in dogs as there hearing is so sensitive and they hear the low frequency drone of thunder from 50kms away.
One thing you can try which a friend of mine did to his blue healer that was the same and in a short time is cured it , was to play background storm music , there is heaps of it on YouTube etc. its the sound of tropical storms and thunder in the rainforest. Tranquil but yet the occasional rumble.
He played it for hrs in the house and eventually when he went out as back ground sound for the dog...Li.. and soon enough the dog came very accustom to the sounds of a storms and grew out of his fear of them. He started out with the base low , and increased it as time went on.

Cheers

Tim

#1444677 - 12/12/2017 20:23 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: Ken Kato]
sharjay Offline
Weatherzone Addict

thanks tim. she doesnt care for the thunder. when storm arrived she went to sleep through it. she actually started acted weird when they popped up on radar near qld/nsw border around lunch time...the behaviour lasted all afternoon until storms hit here after dinner.. then she came good. it was odd because she seemed to sense it 100's of kms away. i did read today dogs can sense the change in air pressure before a storm is near.. i am going to keep a close eye on her before next storm and see what she does.

#1444680 - 12/12/2017 21:19 Re: SEQLD/NENSW - Thunderstorms, some severe - 8th/9th Dec 2017 [Re: Ken Kato]
Flowin Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Pinjarra Hills, Qld
The difficulty with dogs is that they pick on senses in nature and people at same time! Really hard to isolate either as the stimulus for how they respond

Page 12 of 13 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 >

Who's Online
3 registered (TrentG, 2 invisible), 369 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Evil Kitty, Jake, ka0tik_pengwin, Nullamanna WX, shaunandwendy, stormygirl
Forum Stats
29681 Members
32 Forums
23981 Topics
1501131 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image