Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#1445291 - 19/12/2017 21:29 Re: Vic - more Heat 15/12 - 21/12 [Re: BigBen]
DanielB Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Bulleen VIC
Originally Posted By: BigBen
Jesus, that last radar shot on the 64k (16:24) looks incredible.

Frankston is going to get smashed, it could do hundreds of thousands of dollars of improvements.......

Made me laugh!

#1445292 - 19/12/2017 21:30 Re: Vic - more Heat 15/12 - 21/12 [Re: liberator]
logansi Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Portland, Southwest - Victoria
Some ridiculous winds have been recorded out there:

Melbourne Airport: 93km/h
Bendigo: 111km/h
Wangaratta: 113km/h
Kilmore Gap: 117km/h

#1445299 - 19/12/2017 22:01 Re: Vic - more Heat 15/12 - 21/12 [Re: liberator]
ThunderBob Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Sarsfield, East Gippsland, Vic
Cleared here now. Not much wind. At times driving rain for short period (guessing 3-5mm: check in morning). Lots of light and noise.

I think there'll be some lightning-strike fires appearing tomorrow morning.

#1445305 - 19/12/2017 23:28 Re: Vic - more Heat 15/12 - 21/12 [Re: liberator]
Alex_96L Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Mulgrave (SE Suburbs), Melbour...
Well that was indeed something. I ended up driving home through most of it as it came in. Didn't encounter hail thank goodness.

- 16.8mm total
- 185.8mm/hr rain rate at 8:09 PM

Before:

IMAG0396 by Alex, on Flickr

IMAG0397 by Alex, on Flickr

During:

Screenshot_1 by Alex, on Flickr

After:

IMAG0398 by Alex, on Flickr

IMAG0399 by Alex, on Flickr

Edited by Alex_96L (19/12/2017 23:30)

#1445311 - 20/12/2017 00:54 Re: Vic - more Heat 15/12 - 21/12 [Re: liberator]
aussiestormfreak Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Melbourne (Belgrave); Corryong...
Hey guys! What a sensational day it was yesterday, a full-scale 'Battle of the Air Masses' that unleashed what's become one of my top ten storm days ever!!!!! =D

All day long my instincts kept screaming at me, telling me that dangerous weather was coming. And my patience paid off! All the ingredients needed for yesterday’s epic storm outbreak were in place and ready to go (including heat, cold, low pressure, instability, humidity, a strong CAPE, and high wind shear).

In the space of 6 hours the Belgrave area had everything from 38°C heat and gale-force northerly winds to powerful thunderstorms with non-stop lightning (including one of the most dangerous CG-fests I've lived through), deafening thunder, large hailstones, torrential rain, flash flooding and tornadic storm structure, to a gorgeous post-storm sunset with mammatus, and a very comfortable night in the teens! Full report below... grin

As the cold front/trough entered metropolitan Melbourne around mid-afternoon the fun finally kicked off at 4pm. I went for a walk around 4:20pm and was amazing at the view across the west/southwestern horizon. The first enormous cumulonimbus clouds(stretching northwest/southeast along a line from Port Phillip down towards Wilsons Promontory) had breached the CAPE and exploded to possibly 30-40,000 feet or more, with the strongest updrafts punching the tropopause; the base of these storms were dark and had a bit of interesting structure, including a few lowerings. I also detected one or two distant lightning flashes in the cell over the Bay. The wind was howling out of the north at gale-force (as stated earlier) and it was still roasting hot, around 37°C! eek

Given these storms were moving very, very quickly and that there new storms approaching from the west/northwest, I didn't want to be caught out in the open by severe weather conditions. So after 20 minutes I quickly returned home just as the northern edge of the storm over the Bay brushed us to our south. No thunder or lightning, only a flat, dark base with the odd spit of rain, and of course those incessant hot northerly gales - until the cool change FINALLY moved in at 4:48pm! grin

For a while I thought that the show was over, but in fact it was just starting! smile

The temperature dropped to a noticeably cooler but muggy 28°C within minutes of the change hitting Belgrave, with winds easing to a refreshing breeze. Convection built up along the change (which had become a convergence boundary), and by around 5pm several storms cells developed just to our west and quickly connected the storms from the Bay (which were racing off to the southeast) with a string of intense storms just to our north (stretching from Melbourne’s northern/northeast suburbs towards Mount Disappointment and Seymour). This was to be the first of several ‘direct-hits’ for us here in Belgrave yesterday, but it was merely an appetiser.

Two possible supercell thunderstorms passed through our area as the squall line swept over, both tagged as “very dangerous” on the BOM’s Severe Thunderstorm Warning for the Melbourne metropolitan area. It quickly got extremely dark and there was plenty of thunder as these cells threatened. I observed distant lightning flashes and even a distinctly circular, likely tornadic wall cloud under the base of the more northerly of these cells (over the Dandenong Ranges to our north), and we copped around 10 minutes of heavy rain with loud thunder from the southerly cell. It was actually quite a heavy sunshower btw lol, with 1.1mm collected in the gauge during the storm. smile

Just before the storm was done and dusted, we had a particularly loud thunderclap that served as a reminder to NEVER underestimate the risk of being struck by lightning! =S

By 5:15pm the storm line had moved on and I initially thought that was the end of it! But yet more convection exploded across the western horizon and just after 5:30pm Round 2 began!! =D

I went for another walk just after 5:45pm as this new wave of activity bore down on us. A line of cells stretched along the southwestern horizon from St. Kilda to Korumburra. To the north a rather isolated cell was brewing over Montrose and near Lilydale, just downwind of another cell from Yan Yean. And coming straight at us from the northwest was yet another cell over Ringwood and Doncaster.

A few patchy scud clouds moved in from the south, and for a while I was concerned that an ugly post-frontal scudfest was about to begin and thus ruin my view of these new storm cells. mad smile

Fortunately this didn’t eventuate. In fact these isolated low stratus clouds actually served to enhance my view of the impending storms, all the more as the Sun struggled to penetrate the rapidly gathering darkness. And the thunder was ramping up big time! smile

I knew the situation was yet again becoming far too dangerous to stay out in the open for long without being struck by lightning, so after 5-10 minutes I ran back home and took shelter. The Ringwood/Doncaster storm cell struck at 6pm, bringing another 10-15 minutes of heavy rain. But like the supercells an hour earlier, this storm was over as quickly as it had begun.

But even though this cell had past, “Round 2” kept up for about another 45 minutes in the lead-up to the truly dangerous weather that burst upon us after 7pm! Numerous, locally intense storm cells whizzed across the Dandenong Ranges/eastern/southeastern suburbs region; most of these cells missed us, although a string of storms passed through Belgrave during this period (either at glancing blow just barely to the north or south, or a direct-hit). The whole time we had almost non-stop thunder with brief bursts of heavy rain (another 4.2mm in the gauge), and even a quick round of hail (the largest stone being 1cm in diameter) just after 6:35pm. One particularly vicious cell raced by to our south/southwest around 6:45pm (towards Dandenong and Narre Warren), spitting out some spectacular lightning strikes and even whipping up a rather interesting wall cloud formation under its dark updraft base!

All the while I was intently watching the radar and the skies to the north, monitoring the progress of the powerful thunderstorm that had erupted over the Mallee region and Northern Plains earlier, wondering whether it would strike Melbourne later in the day. Which it did do of course! The first visual warning sign that the weather was taking a very nasty turn came when extensive high cloud ahead of the approaching beast swept overhead from the northwest after 6:45pm, turning the whole sky into a rather ‘cluttered’ mess of gloomy, stormy weather.

But even well before this ferocious storm struck, the weather turned very, VERY dangerous just after 7pm! A small storm cell exploded ahead of the squall line near Lancefield to the north of Melbourne at about 6:30pm and raced southeast, growing quickly in size and power as it did so; another equally intense cell developed on its south side near Yan Yean around 7pm and headed south/southeast – straight at us! The radar signature showed that this was indeed a full-blown tornadic-supercell thunderstorm with the potential for tornadoes, flooding, destructive winds and big hailstones, and I immediately had fears of a repeat of March 6th 2010!! eek

As the supercell charged towards the Dandenong Ranges, the northwest sky very quickly turned extremely dark with almost-continuous rolling thunder and angry bolts of lightning, including CCs flying through the air and CGs slamming into the ground, making it far too dangerous for me to cover my car; I was praying hard that it would be spared any damage! frown

The supercell burst upon us at 7:15pm, subjecting us to 15 minutes of near-total darkness (with a very slight green tinge to the clouds), deafening thunderclaps, one of the most spectacular and dangerous CG-lightning displays I’ve EVER lived through, torrential rain (6.3mm, with the peak rainfall rate being 77mm/hr at the height of the storm, the driveway turning into a river, and the lawns becoming flooded), and hailstones to 2cm in diameter!! Almost no wind during this INSANE storm, and no damage to my car! The lightning was occurring on average once every couple of seconds, and the bolts (when they struck) were huge and perilously-close! =D

Once the storm retreated southwards, the sky remained gloomy. By this time the dangerous storm front that was moving in from Northern Victoria was over Melbourne’s northern suburbs (moving south/southeast), but a new storm line developed ahead of it all the way down towards Phillip Island (moving east/southeast - the supercell that had just been and gone would also become part of this new squall line btw). Thus we now had a bizarre “T-shaped” severe thunderstorm complex heading straight at us! crazy eek

It turned very, very dark with thunder and lightning yet again just after 7:45pm as the storm approached, and within minutes it was upon us! For 30 minutes we had almost-continuous lightning (on average once every 1-2 seconds, with a few dangerous CGs but otherwise mostly sheet flashes and the occasional CC), non-stop thunder, torrential rain (12.7mm, with the peak rainfall rate being 66.8mm/hr), and strong, gusty winds. No hail this time though.

By 8:20pm the storm cleared southwards, with the thunder fading into silence by 8:30pm. As a parting treat the cumulonimbus storm cloud’s anvil generated one of the best mammatus displays I’ve ever seen, perfectly timed for sunset! grin

The temperature peaked at 37.8°C yesterday as stated earlier, dropping to around 28°C once the change moved in, and then gradually falling further to around 14°C during and immediately after the storms during the evening. At the last check it had risen back slightly to 15°C. Much more pleasant than last night. smile

Here’s a breakdown of the rain I collected:

1.1mm during the supercells between 5:00pm and 5:15pm.
4.2mm during the Round 2 thundery showers and hail between 6:00pm and 7:00pm.
6.3mm during the dangerous supercell between 7:15pm and 7:30pm.
12.7mm during the “T-shaped” severe thunderstorm complex between 7:50pm and 8:20pm.

So in total I collected 24.3mm, which my December 2017 total to 164.4mm! This renewed burst of rain will help delay the bushfire risk for at least another few weeks!! grin

And as best as I can tell from the radar archives on the Weather Chaser, it appears I copped a direct-hit (or side-swipe) from storms no less than NINE times yesterday!! =D

A bit of minor flooding in my area, but much more significant flash flooding in Upwey and Upper Ferntree Gully according to my sister.

Plenty of ugly snails out enjoying the damp conditions too, yuck! sick mad

Also a friend of mine in Corryong posted on Facebook an image of a tree that was torn down by severe storms occurring up in the Upper Murray.

Storm footage (including cloud structure, lightning, heavy rain, hail, flooding, the sunset, etc) to come in the new few days when I’ve had a chance to review it and upload it to Facebook and Instagram! smile

Looks like Melbourne’s eastern suburbs may be in for one more round of storms tonight! There’s a line of activity stretching west along the Central Highlands between about Eildon and Macedon, racing south/southeastwards. It appears the Dandenong Ranges may miss the most intense cells, unless the activity to the north that’s taking aim at us can suddenly intensify! smile

Edited by aussiestormfreak (20/12/2017 00:57)

#1445315 - 20/12/2017 06:20 Re: Vic - more Heat 15/12 - 21/12 [Re: liberator]
Ruckle Offline

Loc: Woodend VIC 579m ASL - where w...
Hi all, great reading. We lost power till after midnight when the Bendigo express went through. Can vouch for wind obs. The only other storm I have been in like that in Australia was Shepparton labor day storm. Was simply fantastic. Neighbour drove with it from Bendigo, kept getting overtaken with the storm speed. Power out over big area, trees dropping and carnage.
9.3mm in a handful of minutes rain rate over 213mm/hr

#1445319 - 20/12/2017 07:39 Re: Vic - more Heat 15/12 - 21/12 [Re: liberator]
gleno01 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Shepparton
https://youtu.be/G6yjwbRNMVA hey ruckle and storm chasers, check out my footage,let me know what you think of the strange brown clouds just before it hits, i think its smoke from spot fires , im not sure scary stuff got it all on video, trampoline smashed into the side of the house all on video, not as bad as the storm here in shepparton labor day that you filmed but still wild

#1445327 - 20/12/2017 09:02 Re: Vic - more Heat 15/12 - 21/12 [Re: liberator]
ThunderBob Offline
Weather Freak

10.5mm here. About half in rain behind the front. Compared to most areas, it was very benign here: no wind, no hail and no particularly heavy rain.

I think there may have been enough rain behind the front that lightning-strike fire start-ups will be minimal.

#1445359 - 20/12/2017 12:31 Re: Vic - more Heat 15/12 - 21/12 [Re: liberator]
chasers addict Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bendigo/ Kangaroo Flat, Vic Ra...
Hope everyone enjoyed storm chasing and mess clean up is not fun...Now Victorians feel better cooler Today..

Bendigo areas have lots damage to clean up is trees, tin sheds and trampoline..

#1445371 - 20/12/2017 13:32 Re: Vic - more Heat 15/12 - 21/12 [Re: liberator]
Ruckle Offline

Loc: Woodend VIC 579m ASL - where w...
I wonder if the BOM will do a report along the path of this "Calder express"? And whether it will be made public. What I mean is something with soundings, radar, photos along the path, assessment of damage and so on. Discussion on the met environment-would be an interesting read /presentation. Whilst not as unique as some comments have suggested it is rare to have such long track storm that has impacted such a large area and so many people. I think storms with such long tracks in the past have perhaps moved across the state more from w to e and north of the divide. As soon as Melbourne becomes involved its "unique". Would also love some detail on the Shepp Benalla area if it ever became available.

As I recall the Shepp Labor day storm had its origin somewhere NW of Deniliquin and ended up petering out on the ranges SE of Shepp.

#1445439 - 20/12/2017 18:30 Re: Vic - more Heat 15/12 - 21/12 [Re: liberator]
chasers addict Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bendigo/ Kangaroo Flat, Vic Ra...
Just had another unexpected unusually SW small thunderstorm gusty winds ,Small hail dumped another 12mm ...
Looking West

Looking SW

#1445441 - 20/12/2017 20:13 Re: Vic - more Heat 15/12 - 21/12 [Re: liberator]
doogasnow Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: traf/moe south 410m asl/west &...
A mild and windy 24c up here today.
We received 7mm out of all that last night,
Which when u looked at the radar I thought
We were in for an inch lol
Suspect most of that would be already
Gone with strong wind and sun today.

Hopefully everyone is ok through the
North of the state with those powerful
Storms moving through last night😨

#1445442 - 20/12/2017 20:19 Re: Vic - more Heat 15/12 - 21/12 [Re: liberator]
Petros Offline

Loc: Maffra, Central Gippsland, Vi...
5mm in the gauge this morning.

#1445443 - 20/12/2017 20:19 Re: Vic - more Heat 15/12 - 21/12 [Re: liberator]
doogasnow Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Now for another fairly warm stretch
And bugger all rain on horizon except
For a shower on sunday.

Was gazing back through my rainfall
To date this month, found interesting that
If it wasn't for that wet first week of
December where we had 90mm, we would
Only be sitting on 7mm for the month lol

#1445444 - 20/12/2017 20:27 Re: Vic - more Heat 15/12 - 21/12 [Re: liberator]
Petros Offline

Great read above! Well done all!

#1445451 - 20/12/2017 23:13 Re: Vic - more Heat 15/12 - 21/12 [Re: liberator]
aussiestormfreak Offline

Today's report from here in Belgrave...

Overnight low of 14.3°C, reached a top of 26.2°C. Currently around 15°C.

It's been a warm, humid day, but much cooler than yesterday. No weather action to speak of, except for a refreshing westerly breeze as the cold front pushed through, plus sunny spells alternating with cloudy periods. It looked dark and convective at times, almost as if a surprise storm could pop up, but the nearest heavy shower and thunderstorm activity was confined to Gippsland and along and north of the Great Dividing Range. All we got was a few spits of rain at about 5pm.

I was down in Ferntree Gully and neighbouring Upper Ferntree Gully this afternoon and got to see some of the damage from yesterday's ferocious storms!

A lot of dirt/mud/loose gravel and even some damage to traffic barriers on Burwood Highway due to floodwaters; that stretch of road was closed off by the CFA yesterday! Plus some minor tree limb damage from high winds or lightning strikes. And worst of all, a lot of vehicles with hail dents at the various car dealerships! eek

We ourselves here in Belgrave also had some very minor wind damage, but only a couple of broken twigs and tree limbs in our backyard.

I forgot to mention that there was a lot of low cloud hugging the Dandenong Ranges yesterday evening in the storms' wake.

The storms I mentioned towards the end of my last post sadly weakened as they moved through after 1am this morning. A few more showers/storms sideswiped the Dandenong Ranges to the east just after 3am and again just after 4am. But by 4:30am the show was over.

Edit: here are the links to my footage from yesterday's action on Instagram... smile

Around 4:30pm in 37°C heat and gale-force northerlies as the first severe thunderstorms erupt over Melbourne and then sideswipe us:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc5laLqADug/?hl=en&taken-by=aussiestormfreak

Around 5pm as the first supercells develop and strike Belgrave:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc5o_SJA3kS/?hl=en&taken-by=aussiestormfreak

Between 5:20pm and 6pm as "Round 2" kicks off:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc5vRxdA2Mb/?hl=en&taken-by=aussiestormfreak

And between 6pm and 7pm as "Round 2" sweeps through:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc51nfwg57L/?hl=en&taken-by=aussiestormfreak

Between 7pm and 7:30pm before and during the dangerous supercell (CG lightning strikes, torrential rain and 2cm hail):
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc6rKoGgQ3Z/?hl=en&taken-by=aussiestormfreak

Between 7:30pm and 9pm as the ferocious storm system from Northern Victoria sweeps through, followed by mammatus at sunset:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc6wCMyguQ3/?hl=en&taken-by=aussiestormfreak

Edited by aussiestormfreak (20/12/2017 23:23)

#1445611 - 23/12/2017 17:12 Re: Vic - more Heat 15/12 - 21/12 [Re: liberator]
aussiestormfreak Offline

My post for the past few days including today from here in Belgrave...

Thursday December 21st 2017

Low: 10.3°C High: 30.0°C Rain: Trace

Friday December 22nd 2017

Low: 10.9°C High: 33.8°C Rain: 0mm

Saturday December 23rd 2017

Low: 12.9°C High: 33.7°C Rain: 0mm

An extended spell of fairly settled summer weather; the 2017 Summer Solstice took place here in Melbourne on Thursday at 3:27am.

Basically a run of cool mornings with dew, followed by warm to hot, mostly sunny afternoons perfect for spending outdoors! smile

We had a very stunning sunset last night. smile
https://www.instagram.com/p/BdB0halApct/?hl=en&taken-by=aussiestormfreak

The cold front/trough that's brushing us atm is bringing muggy, mostly cloudy conditions but no storms, only light spitting showers.

Currently around 26°C.

Edit: it seems my car did sustain some very, VERY slight damage from the hailstorm on Tuesday, but only one or two small dents. My sister's car was hit a bit harder. But overall, it was nothing compared to the destruction we suffered on March 6th 2010, so we were very lucky.

Edited by aussiestormfreak (23/12/2017 17:17)

#1445630 - 24/12/2017 10:13 Re: Vic - more Heat 15/12 - 21/12 [Re: liberator]
doogasnow Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Nothing registered out of last nights front.
With a max of 30c up here.

Currently a nice brisk southerly blowing
And 14c

#1445633 - 24/12/2017 11:21 Re: Vic - more Heat 15/12 - 21/12 [Re: liberator]
Petros Offline

Cold and cloudy with fresh SSW'ly here atm.

#1445636 - 24/12/2017 11:57 Re: Vic - more Heat 15/12 - 21/12 [Re: liberator]
ThunderBob Offline
Weather Freak

Rain late last night but (Like you Dooga) not enough to register. A thin drizzle here past couple of hours - too light to even show on radar.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Who's Online
8 registered (liberator, Namarrkun, Perfect Storm, scott12, Steve O, Renee09, 2 invisible), 87 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
MatthewBr, Raweth, Russellmill
Forum Stats
29681 Members
32 Forums
23978 Topics
1500509 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image