Page 11 of 12 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#1445987 - 27/12/2017 10:46 Re: NENSW-SEQLD Troughs and strong instability over the Christmas period, 22nd to 28th Dec 2017 [Re: Nature's Fury]
gleno71 Online   content
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Nature's Fury
Not a fan of Higgins but his live footage of the storms this afternoon has been fantastic. The storm looked like an absolute monster. And to think that he was only on the second-strongest storm.

Have to agree with you there, the video was insane. There were reports of a possible tornado out that way?

#1445988 - 27/12/2017 10:48 Re: NENSW-SEQLD Troughs and strong instability over the Christmas period, 22nd to 28th Dec 2017 [Re: T.rex]
gleno71 Online   content
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: T.rex
Here in Toowoomba, on the edge of the Range, we had 35.5mm, the wettest day since cyclone Debbie called in at the end of March. That puts us at 918mm for the year to date.

I was at Toowoomba last night. Had the best KFC for dinner lol. The wind was insane.The low cloud streaming in as I drove from Warwick was incredible and fast

#1445990 - 27/12/2017 11:11 Re: NENSW-SEQLD Troughs and strong instability over the Christmas period, 22nd to 28th Dec 2017 [Re: PlumbBob]
gleno71 Online   content
Weatherzone Addict

Thsnkyou Seabreeze , Homer , Warwick eye 2sky and PlumbBob for the kind words.

Homer: one of the reasons I moved up to SE QLD from Sydney as they have a bumper storm season most seasons especially in the Scenic Rim / Darling downs area's.

PlumbBob: Yes I use a full frame camera (Nikon D750) although there is no problems catching storm action with a crop camera. A lot of people who upload storm pics to various weather pages use there phones.

#1445991 - 27/12/2017 11:14 Re: NENSW-SEQLD Troughs and strong instability over the Christmas period, 22nd to 28th Dec 2017 [Re: PlumbBob]
signalman Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warwick (Qld)
Showers over the New Englands trending north-west from the coast. Where are today's possible storms in the south-east coming from.

#1445992 - 27/12/2017 11:19 Re: NENSW-SEQLD Troughs and strong instability over the Christmas period, 22nd to 28th Dec 2017 [Re: PlumbBob]
gleno71 Online   content
Weatherzone Addict

Some pics of yesterday's storms from the Darling Downs region.
First photo is from just south of Allora, this was the storm that was coming up from west of Tenterfield.

2nd photo was about 5 minutes west from the windmill pic, the sun briefly came out and generally a rainbow results from this.

3rd and 4th picture was the incredible structure taken just outside of Fernvale.

Most of the storm chasers were out at Oakey west of Toowoomba, they were probably in a better position for photos, however I avoided the hail.

Untitled by [/url]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/21zbSJZ]
Untitled by [/url]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/22Sanjf]
Severe Storm by [/url]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/22SayhN]
Untitled by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/94869731@N06/][/url]

#1445993 - 27/12/2017 11:33 Re: NENSW-SEQLD Troughs and strong instability over the Christmas period, 22nd to 28th Dec 2017 [Re: gleno71]
Kazz63 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Kingaroy
Originally Posted By: gleno71
Not a fan of Higgins but his live footage of the storms this afternoon has been fantastic. The storm looked like an absolute monster. And to think that he was only on the second-strongest storm.

Have to agree with you there, the video was insane. There were reports of a possible tornado out that way?

There were reports of a tornado,but so far nothing can be found on the maps to substantiate it. Kumbia (south of Kingaroy) certainly got trashed, someone I know lost part of a shed & some roofing but from what I heard when out that way this morning was that it was simply strong gusts of wind. That system thankfully travelled a path that was West of us, so we only got sideswiped by it really & then it traveled through to Hivesville where someone reported that it looked like a tornado going through so who knows? I'd add to that that these people were praising Hollywood's pages before & after the event and the only warnings I saw of tornadoes were from his Hype-ness's page so maybe the idea was planted in their minds. This is where I feel social media causes problems; you can suggest all kinds of things & then suddenly people are seeing them.

The area between those 2 towns is hardly populated so this means we've been lucky there's no loss of life or serious injuries but it also means there's little eye witness reports or data on what actually traveled through there.
Yes, the videos are good, as are some of the pictures that came in, like the one I posted about earlier - lightning strike in Kingaroy. But again it bothers me that someone thinks its important to stand out in that kind of weather to get a good shot for social media; the lightning bolt was only 2 houses away from that guy.
People trying to copy what seasoned chasers are doing - there's no warnings as to how dangerous that could be.
Maybe I'm getting old, lol.
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

#1445994 - 27/12/2017 11:34 Re: NENSW-SEQLD Troughs and strong instability over the Christmas period, 22nd to 28th Dec 2017 [Re: PlumbBob]
Mad Elf #1.5 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Hallen QLD
Fantastic pics Gleno.

#1445996 - 27/12/2017 11:42 Re: NENSW-SEQLD Troughs and strong instability over the Christmas period, 22nd to 28th Dec 2017 [Re: Kazz63]
Colin Maitland Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: North Brisbane ( Bracken Ridge...
Originally Posted By: Kazz63
Originally Posted By: gleno71

There were reports of a tornado,but so far nothing can be found on the maps to substantiate it. Kumbia (south of Kingaroy) certainly got trashed, someone I know lost part of a shed & some roofing but from what I heard when out that way this morning was that it was simply strong gusts of wind. That system thankfully travelled a path that was West of us, so we only got sideswiped by it really & then it traveled through to Hivesville where someone reported that it looked like a tornado going through so who knows? I'd add to that that these people were praising Hollywood's pages before & after the event and the only warnings I saw of tornadoes were from his Hype-ness's page so maybe the idea was planted in their minds. This is where I feel social media causes problems; you can suggest all kinds of things & then suddenly people are seeing them.

The area between those 2 towns is hardly populated so this means we've been lucky there's no loss of life or serious injuries but it also means there's little eye witness reports or data on what actually traveled through there.
Yes, the videos are good, as are some of the pictures that came in, like the one I posted about earlier - lightning strike in Kingaroy. But again it bothers me that someone thinks its important to stand out in that kind of weather to get a good shot for social media; the lightning bolt was only 2 houses away from that guy.
People trying to copy what seasoned chasers are doing - there's no warnings as to how dangerous that could be.
Maybe I'm getting old, lol.

I know this will frustrate everyone with the word MINI. I have just posted parts of the story. I think as more evidence comes through it could be a tornado. Not a mini tornado as this does not exist. You have everything from a rope tornado to the finger of God EF5 tornadoes in America but no MINI.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queen...e1318122649b924

Queensland weather: Storms bring hail, wild winds, heavy rainfall
Clare Armstrong, The Courier-Mail
December 27, 2017 12:00am

RESIDENTS have reported seeing a storm cell that looked like a “miniature tornado” tearing through Queensland’s Darling Downs region as strong winds and heavy showers wreaked havoc on Boxing Day.

Kingaroy locals described a “large wind tunnel” wreaking havoc, lifting roofs from houses and uprooting trees in the area on Tuesday afternoon.

“Tornado [has] definitely gone through. Hail still in places, houses unroofed and paddocks awash. Trees down everywhere,” one woman wrote on Facebook.

Other residents confirmed power lines were down and extensive damage to items in yards including fences, sheds and trampolines being thrown around.

At 11pm there were 150 Energex customers without power, many due to powerlines being down.

Weather forecaster Diana Eadie said the Darling Downs region experienced an environment that was “conducive” to a tornado forming but the bureau were unable to confirm if one had occurred.

“The supercell storm exhibited structures that are conducive to a funnel and could have been a tornado ... but we would need to review any potential video footage,” she said.

VK4FCDM (Amateur radio call sign)

#1445997 - 27/12/2017 11:44 Re: NENSW-SEQLD Troughs and strong instability over the Christmas period, 22nd to 28th Dec 2017 [Re: PlumbBob]
Colin Maitland Offline
Weatherzone Addict

And Kudos, Awesome shots Gleno and once again everyone. They are brilliant although there was destruction as I previous posted earlier this morning.

#1445998 - 27/12/2017 11:53 Re: NENSW-SEQLD Troughs and strong instability over the Christmas period, 22nd to 28th Dec 2017 [Re: PlumbBob]
Kazz63 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Kingaroy
Yeah Colin, I think weatherpeople have got to start hardening up & understanding that the use of "mini" when describing a tornado is simply used as an adjective by laypeople to describe the fact that they didn't see cows flying through the air, lol.
That story,repeated on many news sites and a facebook post saying pretty much word for word what's described there are the only reports I've seen about it. So I'd venture to say that report is from the same source.
As I said, in a sparsely populated area we may not get any more confirmation. I'm not saying it didn't happen; it's like the tree falling in the forest I guess.

And I just read that we can expect similar today, hmm.And that will fill the heart of our on call electrician (we're closed till the 8th) I see he has 6 jobs on today already, poor bugger.

Edited by Kazz63 (27/12/2017 11:56)
Sherlock Holmes 28 March 13:08

#1446000 - 27/12/2017 12:02 Re: NENSW-SEQLD Troughs and strong instability over the Christmas period, 22nd to 28th Dec 2017 [Re: PlumbBob]
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wollongong, NSW, Aus
The term is incorrect - use 'small' then rather than mini.

#1446013 - 27/12/2017 12:43 Re: NENSW-SEQLD Troughs and strong instability over the Christmas period, 22nd to 28th Dec 2017 [Re: PlumbBob]
joesk Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: In a BUS, where ever I stop..
Fantastic shots there Gleno and everyone else.
I hung around the Pittsworth to Cecil Plains area and grabbed some video of the action. Was kind of hectic at times with 2 to 3 cameras out on tripods.
Watched that first big cell go up at Pittsworth from Norwin . Thought about heading up to the big hill above the Oakey airbase but didn't think I'd get there in time so went for the next couple coming up . glad I didn't get caught in the big hail.
Stayed out of the way of the hail which for me is important in these big storms as my vehicle is also my home. Haven't had a chance to look at the video yet , will edit and get it up during the week. Cheers Joe

#1446020 - 27/12/2017 13:20 Re: NENSW-SEQLD Troughs and strong instability over the Christmas period, 22nd to 28th Dec 2017 [Re: PlumbBob]
Homer Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Dural
Absolutely beautiful photos again Gleno. That rainbow pic is stunning! You really have a gift.
Yes, I can completely understand why you moved to S.E. QLD for storms. You're getting your wish!!!
Stay safe everyone up there today if there is a repeat.

#1446021 - 27/12/2017 13:33 Re: NENSW-SEQLD Troughs and strong instability over the Christmas period, 22nd to 28th Dec 2017 [Re: PlumbBob]
gleno71 Online   content
Weatherzone Addict

Thanks Mad Elf Joesk , Colin and Homer, much appreciated.

I haven't even looked at the models today so I am unsure as to what's going on. I'm working arvo shift so wont be out today.

I have to agree with what Kazz was saying, it is dangerous out there when chasing. No doubt you run the risk of being struck by lightning, or have a tree fall whilst driving, not to mention flash flooding. I'm still at a loss how lightning picks it's target. We could have ten of us holding umbrellas up in a field, yet lightning could strike a tree 50 metres away. It's a scary thought.

#1446024 - 27/12/2017 14:05 Re: NENSW-SEQLD Troughs and strong instability over the Christmas period, 22nd to 28th Dec 2017 [Re: PlumbBob]
TWEEDSTORM Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Tweed Heads NSW
You wont have to worry about the models today Gleno the long and the short of it is that we have a weakening trough and you might get the odd rumble if you are very lucky mainly on the mountain range

#1446046 - 27/12/2017 17:17 Re: NENSW-SEQLD Troughs and strong instability over the Christmas period, 22nd to 28th Dec 2017 [Re: PlumbBob]
Colin Maitland Offline
Weatherzone Addict

A small cell up here at Jimna. Some good rain and 22C. A few small cells popping up so just have to see how it pans out. Now for the drive back. Yeah. 😐😎😉

#1446054 - 27/12/2017 17:36 Re: NENSW-SEQLD Troughs and strong instability over the Christmas period, 22nd to 28th Dec 2017 [Re: PlumbBob]
Mad Elf #1.5 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Good looking tall storm clouds building SW of Gatton. Stapy looking interesting.

#1446058 - 27/12/2017 17:55 Re: NENSW-SEQLD Troughs and strong instability over the Christmas period, 22nd to 28th Dec 2017 [Re: PlumbBob]
redbucket Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Regency Downs, Lockyer Valley
I would appreciate it if that cell keeps tracking north towards me!

#1446063 - 27/12/2017 18:29 Re: NENSW-SEQLD Troughs and strong instability over the Christmas period, 22nd to 28th Dec 2017 [Re: PlumbBob]
Mad Elf #1.5 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just down the road from you Red, Forest Hill & its hosing.

#1446064 - 27/12/2017 18:40 Re: NENSW-SEQLD Troughs and strong instability over the Christmas period, 22nd to 28th Dec 2017 [Re: PlumbBob]
redbucket Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Regency Downs, Lockyer Valley
Yep, it’s slipped past. Devastated.

Page 11 of 12 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 >

Who's Online
7 registered (Foehn Correspondent, Nature's Fury, gleno71, ashestoashes, Mcbobbings, 2 invisible), 350 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Evil Kitty, Jake, ka0tik_pengwin, Nullamanna WX, shaunandwendy, stormygirl
Forum Stats
29681 Members
32 Forums
23981 Topics
1501134 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image