Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1448547 - 13/01/2018 08:46 Re: Vic a repeat brief hot day but followed with stormy change this time?? 11-13/1/18 [Re: Petros]
ThunderBob Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Sarsfield, East Gippsland, Vic
22.5mm to (almost) 0900! Amazing. And to think how dry a winter and spring this area had - how critical the moisture deficit was - and now at least three substantial rain events in recent weeks.

#1448551 - 13/01/2018 09:14 Re: Vic a repeat brief hot day but followed with stormy change this time?? 11-13/1/18 [Re: Petros]
Petros Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Maffra, Central Gippsland, Vi...
We got another 10mm with the clearing band in the early hours of this morning to take us to 23mm for this event so far. smile

Edited by Petros (13/01/2018 09:14)

#1448606 - 13/01/2018 16:05 Re: Vic a repeat brief hot day but followed with stormy change this time?? 11-13/1/18 [Re: Petros]
aussiestormfreak Offline

Loc: Melbourne (Belgrave); Corryong...
Hi guys! Pardon my absence, Ive been online but too busy to post. But Ive been caught up in two straight days of storm action up in Corryong (pity I'm now back in Melbourne, having returned to Belgrave on Thursday night), and Im very happy about it! smile

Firstly heres my report for the afternoon and evening of Sunday January 7th 2018:

Here are the Upper Murray/Snowy Mountains stats from the BOM and Weatherzone:

Corryong Airport
Low: 12.9C; High: 41.5C; Rain: 0mm

Khancoban
Low: 15.4C; High: 40.1C; Rain: 0mm

Tumbarumba
Low: 18.5C; High: 40.0C; Rain: 0mm

Cabramurra
Low: 20.5C; High: 30.2C; Rain: 0mm

Perisher Valley
Low: 8.8C; High: 27.3C; Rain: 0mm

Thredbo Top Station
Low: 15.3C; High: 25.0C; Rain: 0mm

Thredbo Village
Low: 10.0C; High: 32.5C; Rain: 0mm

It stayed scorching hot during the afternoon, evening and night, but having the air-con made it so much easier to sleep. smile

Cloud cover increased further later in the day, and it looked quite unstable at sunset I took this as a sign that some rain and storms were hopefully on the way. And it was surprisingly windy at times during the night! crazy

These are my temperature readings from my private thermometer:
4:49pm - 39.9C
7:16pm 37.0C
7:46pm 35.6C
8:17pm 34.0C
8:47pm 31.3C
10:32pm 29.0C
12:26am (Monday morning) 26.5C

#1448608 - 13/01/2018 16:09 Re: Vic a repeat brief hot day but followed with stormy change this time?? 11-13/1/18 [Re: Petros]
aussiestormfreak Offline

And now for my reports for the 2-Day Storm Outbreak on Monday and Tuesday, both of which are lengthy. My apologies in advance:

Part 1 Monday January 8th 2018

Corryong Airport
Low: 22.5C; High: 35.0C; Rain: 0mm

Khancoban
Low: 22.2C; High: 33.1C; Rain: 0mm

Tumbarumba
Low: 14.2C; High: 32.4C; Rain: 0mm

Cabramurra
Low: 15.4C; High: 23.0C; Rain: 0.8mm

Perisher Valley
Low: 13.8C; High: 20.9C; Rain: 0mm

Thredbo Top Station
Low: 14.6C; High: 18.2C; Rain: 0mm

Thredbo Village
Low: 15.0C; High: 25.1C; Rain: 0mm

Following a stifling and windy night (with some of our outdoor furniture knocked over), the day was mostly cloudy and very sweaty; only the breeze provided some relief from the humidity and the Suns hot bite! poke

It was also very unstable; the first thunderstorm cells went up to the south of Corryong soon after 1pm and raced off to the southeast into the Kosciuszko National Park. The first storm to strike the Corryong township itself swept in from the Culcairn/Table Top/Holbrook region of NSW (north/northeast of Albury/Wodonga) to the northwest around the same time. It was also very cloudy, but it quickly turned very dark towards Cudgewa and Walwa/Jingellic as the storm approached. The clouds took on a very turbulent appearance; plenty of thunder, and some insane, dangerous lightning strikes slamming into Mount Mittamatite as well! smile

The storm hit Corryong at 1:40pm, bringing close thunder and lightning (including a few CGs), along with very strong winds that shook leaves and bark from nearby gum trees, and heavy rain with very minor flooding on some of the streets! But it was a very brief, localised, fast-moving storm; within 5 minutes it was over. And the most insane core of the storm missed the town by a few kilometres to the north. Only 0.5mm of rain was collected during the storms passage.

Then there was a respite in the weather that lasted about an hour, but while it was a little cooler it was still sultry, all the more because of the rain from the earlier storm cell; the temperature had only fallen four degrees from 35C to 31C. poke

And it was still very cloudy but with sunny breaks (again only the wind helped ease the sweltering conditions a little). A couple of sprinkling showers brushed Corryong at 2pm, and over the course of the 1:40pm-2:40pm period numerous thunderstorms took off over the Nariel and Thougla Valleys to the south, and about the NSW Snowy Mountains and towards Tumbarumba to the east and north.

The Southwest Slopes and Snowy Mountain regions were under a Severe Thunderstorm Warning for Damaging Winds at this point (but no warning for adjacent Northeast Victoria), and it was unsurprising, given how explosive the convection was along the northern horizon, literally a string of rock-solid, nuclear explosion cumulus congestus and cumulonimbus clouds that punched towards 40,000 feet! The bases of some of these cells were pancake-flat and very dark with some quite decent downpours and even a few flashes of lightning, plus the odd lowering here and there. smile

The respite came to an end around 2:40pm when the next storm to impact Corryong swept into the Upper Murray from the northwest, having started out as mere showers that developed over the Southern Riverina of NSW around lunchtime before suddenly intensifying and sparking up between Albury/Wodonga and Culcairn just after 1:30pm. It grew very dark to the west as the storm approached, and by 2:40pm I was able to discern what looked remarkably like a developing gust front on its leading edge, ahead of the precipitation core. The thunder quickly ramped up and a very angry CG-fest started up, with dangerous lightning slamming into the ground on average once every few minutes, bringing back fresh memories of the electrical storm I witnessed an hour before the tornadic-storm front that lashed Corryong on November 2nd 2015!

The storm slipped past Corryong to the south and went on to strike the Nariel and Thougla Valleys, but its northern fringes linked up with another cell that developed over Walwa/Jingellic at the same time. At 3pm, the two storm cells combined to unleash around 15-20 minutes of blustery, gale-force winds and spitting rain!

No property damage thankfully but we lost power between 3:10pm and 3:27pm, either due to high winds or lightning strikes or a combination of both; we had a few other momentary black-outs or brown-outs during the course of the day. The town and surrounding area also lost most TV and FM radio stations for the rest of the day and well into the following day, most likely due to lightning (probably at nearby Mount Elliot, or at Hunters Hill at Shelley to the west). My rain gauge was also knocked over by the storm winds lol, which was just as well since there was no measurable rainfall as these cells passed over. The temperature cooled to a much more comfortable 24C. smile

The storms cleared off by 3:30pm, but a few more sporadic light showers continued to affect the Upper Murray until around 5pm. The weather stayed mostly cloudy (with some low cloud scattered about the mountains) but unstable, but it was much more pleasant for being outside.

But this was merely another respite! At roughly 5:30pm, a few more storm cells started firing between Walwa/Jingellic and Holbrook and then swept east/southeast. The anvil tops of these very weak cells came into view to the northwest around 6pm, and over the next hour they skirted along the northern horizon towards Cabramurra in the Snowy Mountains. The north was quite dark (which contrasted beautifully with the sunlit foreground, making it great for photography), and there was quite heavy rain on radar around Tooma. I also heard occasional thunder and saw the odd flash of distant lightning, including a couple of CGs! And there was a bit of mammatus on the cumulonimbus anvil, plus a few tornado-like lowerings under the storms main updraft. smile

I let the storm go after 7pm (by which time it was weakening on radar) and turned my attention back northwest. Little did I realise that day was far from over and the best storm action was STILL yet to come! On radar, a group of localised but potentially dangerous thunderstorms was closing in on Corryong from the west/northwest.

A dark red/black-cored cell took shape near Jindera, just north of Albury/Wodonga, at about 6:15pm, splitting in two around 30 minutes later as it crossed the northern (Murray River) arm of Lake Hume (near Wymah); the southern cell dissipated near Cudgewa just before 7pm (Corryong received some very light rain from its residue around 7:30pm, plus a faint rainbow as the Sun began to go down), while the northern cell stayed on a slightly more due-east trajectory before merging near Walwa/Jingellic with a larger, even more intense storm that had developed near Lockhart to the southwest of Wagga Wagga around 6pm. The Lockhart cell itself weakened over Walwa/Jingellic and Tintaldra around sunset.

Even while all this was going on, an ever stronger cell flared up over Jindera and Table Tap at 7pm and took aim at Corryong! The storm came into view at 8pm over the hills near Koetong and Shelley, by which time a beautiful sunset was unfolding; the sky to the west looked very dark, with a very slight green ting, suggesting the risk of hail. And there was quite a bit of lightning flickering through the clouds.

And over the next 45 minutes I was treated to one of the most amazing weather spectacles Ive ever seen!! As the storm descended upon the Upper Murray and caught the dying sunset it took on a very unique structure, sculptured almost like mothership! Although I cannot confirm with 100% certainty (as I couldnt see any visual evidence of rotation or tornado activity, and the Yarrawonga Doppler was not much use), its quite possible that this was a high-precipitation supercell thunderstorm. On the cells northern flank was what appeared to be a beaver tail, although it mightve just as equally been a gust front. On radar the storm had a very intense precipitation core. Thunder was going off almost-continuously, and the cell was generating a ferocious lightning display, with everything from anvil crawlers to blinding CGs!

By 8:30pm I deemed it far too dangerous to be outside, so I took shelter. The storm side-swiped Corryong to the west, although the northern reaches of the arcus cloud (or beaver tail) passed directly over around 8:40pm, accompanied by a 5-10 minute round of thunder, lightning, gusty winds and moderately heavy rain. The cell headed southeast to the headwaters of the Murray River, where it died just before 9:30pm.

But the show was far from over! Following on the heels of this cell was yet another wave of thunderstorm action. At about 6:30pm, a group of storms sprung to life over the Jerilderie/Urana region of the NSW Riverina and moved east/southeast, intensifying south of Lockhart and west of Culcairn after 7pm. The activity then spread southwards near Albury/Wodonga around 8pm, with the southern tail of the storm line heading towards Corryong.

As the earlier possible supercell continued its journey southeastwards and the sunset faded into dusk and twilight, the western/northwestern horizon grew dark and threatening yet again! Lightning was flashing on average once every 15-30 seconds as the storm line approached. The southernmost cell looked quite intense on radar, but by 9pm the whole line started weakening; 15 minutes later it struck Corryong, bringing only a 10-20 minute burst of heavy rain plus the occasional flash of lightning and clap of thunder. By 9:30pm the storm passed, and it quickly died out altogether soon afterwards.

In total, these two storms (both the possible supercell and the storm front) combined dropped 2mm of rain into my gauge.

While outside checking the rain gauge in the wake of the decaying storm front (around 9:30pm), I noticed flickering to the south. Looking in that direction I saw a storm raging over the Mount Bogong/Mitta Mitta/Benambra region, having formed between Benalla and Mansfield around 2 hours earlier. The storm was spewing out almost non-stop lightning, mostly sheet flashes, but a few bolts as well; at times the lightning was so bright they lit up the sky for miles around! I got to watch and film this amazing lightshow for over 45 minutes. The storm dissipated in the Kosciuszko National Park south of Thredbo after 10:30pm.

All the while, I noticed the occasional lightning flash to the west over Albury/Wodonga from a band of storms that stretched from the Victorian High Country all the way into the NSW Riverina and Outback regions. The storm front swept through Corryong between 11pm and 12:30am the next morning, bringing only moderately heavy showers (no thunder or lightning).

#1448611 - 13/01/2018 16:13 Re: Vic a repeat brief hot day but followed with stormy change this time?? 11-13/1/18 [Re: Petros]
aussiestormfreak Offline

Part 2 Tuesday January 9th 2018

Thanks to the persistent low pressure trough, another day of storm action was on the cards for the Upper Murray region and adjacent Snowy Mountains! smile

Corryong Airport
Low: 19.1C; High: 30.8C; Rain: 7mm

Khancoban
Low: 17.7C; High: 29.0C; Rain: 6.6mm

Tumbarumba
Low: 17.0C; High: 27.5C; Rain: 7.4mm

Cabramurra
Low: 12.2C; High: 18.2C; Rain: 36.0mm

Perisher Valley
Low: 11.3C; High: 17.5C; Rain: 12.4mm

Thredbo Top Station
Low: 9.7C; High: 14.3C; Rain: 10.0mm

Thredbo Village
Low: 13.0C; High: 20.0C; Rain: 10.8mm

My private rain gauge in Corryong collected only 4.5mm.

The day started out with a weak storm front/thundery rainband that swept through town around 2:30am (having formed at midnight over the NSW Riverina, bringing around 20 minutes of moderately heavy rainfall, along with occasional lightning (at times blinding in the darkness) and booming thunder loud enough which rattled the windows! I stayed up long enough to catch the storm on camera but then after it was over I took some much-needed sleep.

The next wave of activity moved through around 8:30am, but only as a group of decaying storm cells from the Urana/Lockhart/Henty/Culcairn/Holbrook region (they were locally intense on radar between 7:30am and 8am). I missed these storms as I was sound asleep. frown

When I finally awoke after 9am, I went outside into the muggy conditions (it was partly cloudy, but with plenty of sunshine, plus a fair amount of low cloud from the overnight rain and storms). I observed a few weak storms over the Upper Nariel and Tallangatta Valleys to the south, plus one or two over the Albury/Wodonga/Tallangatta/Lake Hume region to the west, and another cell brewing over the Jagumba Wilderness Area of the Kosciuszko National Park to the east.

Conditions remained quiet in Corryong for well over another hour, but at 10:50am the skies just to the northwest suddenly darkened and within 10 minutes it started raining, and then the next thing my family and I knew a thunderstorm broke over the town! In addition to heavy rain, the storm (which started out just north of Albury/Wodonga around 9:45am), brought 10 minutes of surprisingly frequent and potentially dangerous lightning and loud thunder. Then before we knew it, the storm was over as quickly as it started.

The final wave of stormy weather for the day passed through Corryong around 12:30pm, but I missed out on it. My family and I spent the day up at Cabramurra in the NSW Snowy Mountains, where the weather was even more intense! Read on please, the best is yet to come. smile

We departed Corryong around midday, crossing the Murray River from Victoria into New South Wales roughly 10 minutes later, and then another 10 minutes later we began the ascent into the Kosciuszko National Park near Khancoban. The weather during this leg of the journey was overcast and humid, with temperatures of around 21C. There was plenty of low cloud hugging the highest mountain peaks, and also clear indications of high levels of instability and wind shear I observed and photographed some very interesting undulating mid-level clouds btw.

During the long, steep climb into the Snowy Mountains the temperature dropped quite steeply, dipping to around 16C soon before we reached Tooma Reservoir around 12:40pm; a few light showers followed 5 minutes later. Another five minutes up the road, we plunged into thick fog/low cloud! But within minutes we were out of it again. smile

As we drove through the Tumut Reservoir region around 1pm, I looked west through gaps in the low clouds and saw a rather dark-looking sky (we also had glimpses of sunshine at this point). On the Yarrawonga and Canberra (Captains Flat) radars, the northern edge of a weak line of showers and storms was approaching from the Tumbarumba area. This shower and storm activity missed Cabramurra to the south around 1:30pm and went onto die out near Lake Eucumbene roughly 20 minutes later. We reached Australias highest town at approximately 1:15pm btw.

For the next 45 minutes (while having lunch), the weather at Cabramurra was a mixture of sun and cloud; in-between gaps in the cloud cover I noted sporadic convection. It was also quite windy, with the temperature ranging between 16-18C. Because of our higher elevation, the clouds appeared to be moving much faster than they were lower down at Corryong. But then again, given that the atmospheric wind shear profile was insane (and that it was already highly unstable) this was unsurprising. I took this as an ominous sign that any storms that would erupt during the afternoon had the potential to be fast-moving and very severe! My instincts proved me correct.

Just after 2pm while at the Cabramurra Lookout (enjoying the stunning views over the town and the Tumut Valley), I looked towards the west. Through gaps in the low speeding clouds I saw that the western horizon was getting very dark very quickly. On the Yarrawonga and Canberra radars a supercell thunderstorm (having formed around 1:30pm between Walwa/Jingellic and Holbrook) was rapidly heading this way!

Rain from the storms leading edge began arriving in Cabramurra at about 2:15pm, although it only spitting at this point. Thunder could be heard rumbling in the distance (above the howling wind) soon afterwards.

At 2:30pm, the supercell came into view amongst the cloud cover, just over the ridge of the mountains to the west; on radar it was just southeast of Tumbarumba. It appeared to have a distinct wall cloud formation on its northwest side, with possible signs of rotation (I wouldnt have been surprised if a tornado were about to form); the clouds appeared to be lower than the top mountains btw. Rain and likely hail were cascading in torrents near the main mesocyclone and wall cloud, and a few dangerous CG lightning strikes were also observed.

Within 15 minutes the main storm swept into Cabramurra. Realising we couldnt outrun the supercell, my family and I parked our car near the petrol station in the hopes of taking shelter there if damaging hail was imminent. Fortunately this wasnt the case; the most dangerous core of the supercell swung to the left and missed the town by about 5-10 kilometres to the north; it looked extremely dark and threatening in that direction! Nonetheless I got to enjoy a 15-minute round of thunder and lightning with fast-moving storm clouds, blustery winds, heavy rain and even a couple of small stray hailstones.

By 3pm the storm was over (by which time we decided to return to Corryong, but travelling via the Elliot Way towards Tumbarumba, and then back south through Tooma and Towong), although another brief small storm cell flared up on the supercells backside, bringing another 5-10 minutes of heavy rain, along with patchy fog. The main supercell itself continued eastwards across the Upper Murrumbidgee, Southern ACT and NSW Southern Tablelands before merging with the main storm system that lashed Sydney and the East Coast around 5pm (at Araluen, between Batemans Bay and Braidwood).

At 3:15pm we stopped at the lookout above Tumut 2 Power Station. My initial intention was to snap some pics of the patchy fog and low cloud that wafted about the Tumut Valley in the storms wake. But I got far more than I bargained for!

It was very cloudy at this point, but I was surprised that I was still able to get Internet access on my smartphone (despite my distance from the Cabramurra telecommunications tower, and the mountains in the way), and upon checking the radar images I realised that yet another supercell thunderstorm was in the vicinity!

This new storm started out all the way over Lockhart around 1pm, intensifying south of Wagga Wagga an hour later. By around 2:45pm the cell was over the hills between Kyeamba and Batlow, and then it split in two. The northern half raced off past Tumut and over the Brindabella Ranges to strike Canberra just after 4:30pm before finally dying out (and merging with the main storm system that was headed for Sydney and the East Coast) between Gundaroo and Bungendore after 5pm, while the southern half headed southeast, straight towards the Snowy Mountains!

Over the next 20 minutes we watched as this supercell thunderstorm moved through just to our north, over the upper reaches of the Talbingo Reservoir. The cloud cover immediately overhead gradually cleared, allowing the Sun to come out (making conditions quite sultry once more) and also allowing for a much better view of the storm. The billowing cumulonimbus updrafts on its western flank showed clear signs of rotation and soared as high as 40,000 feet into the sky forcing me to crane my neck to get a proper view fanning out into a huge, icy anvil that spread off to the southeast. The base of the storm was flat, dark, angry and turbulent, with a possible wall cloud (or at least plenty of scudding, wind-torn, funnel-like lowerings) under the storms mesocyclone, so no doubt a tornado was hiding in there. Torrential rain and hail were cascading from this cell, there was near-continuous booming thunder (which echoed off the mountains), and a few dangerous CG lightning strikes could be seen slamming into the ground! And even more spectacular, the storm appeared to be literally sucking in moisture and fog from the Tumut Valley, creating a small gust front ahead of its precipitation core! What a sight. =D

A few bubbly cumulus congestus towers were visible just to the west of the storm, but these did nothing more than produce a few brief showers.

Once the storm had retreated across the Tumut Valley (it died between Adaminaby and Bredbo after 4pm) my family and I continued on our journey back to Corryong, by which time it was much safer to drive with being caught in severe weather conditions. As we did so, I got to see some of the aftermath of the two supercells I had just experienced over the previous couple of hours. Scattered along various points of the Elliot Way in the localities of Nurenmerenmong and Maragle were piles of hail (which looked like snow, how ironic lol), plus plenty of shredded leaves, bark and small tree limbs. At the OHares Rest Area, located at the top end of Talbingo Reservoir, there were large puddles everywhere from the heavy rain, plus a rather large tree branch down on the ground (although I cant confirm whether the storms were the culprits for bringing this tree branch down). And we drove through fog/low cloud once again at times.

By the time we were back on the main road between Corryong and Tumbarumba just before 4:30pm, the weather was improving as the trough raced northeast towards the East Coast. Convection was still flaring as we drove through Maragle and Tooma, but the risk of further severe thunderstorms was rapidly declining. Most of the low cloud had disappeared from the Snowy Mountains, and it was becoming hotter, drier and sunnier from the west with refreshing westerly breezes as we made our way back into the Upper Murray; we arrived back in Corryong by 5:30pm.

I did get to glimpse the upper levels of one final storm away to the north in the Adelong/Batlow/Tumut region (while passing through Greg Greg, Bringenbrong and Towong between 5pm and 5:20pm; this particular storm cell developed near Tarcutta at about 4:15pm and died out near Canberra about 2 hours later. And apart from a few straggling congestus towers away to the north at sunset and a few final showers and storms near Canberra between 9:30pm and 11pm, the weather for the rest of the afternoon and evening in Corryong was clear, dry and very pleasant, with billions of stars in the sky after dark! smile

Overall this 2-Day Storm Outbreak was what Ill jokingly call Ace of Spades (dont ask why, even I dont know but I decided to call it that just for fun haha). I nearly ran out of camera batteries and SD memory card space lol. It was certainly epic as far as I was concerned with all the insane storm structure and lightning, and the chance to get up close to some potentially dangerous tornadic supercells (and in the Snowy Mountains, of all places). And after the recent heatwave and bushfire risk, the heavy rain was very welcomed! smile

However, my family and I were very fortunate to escape without so much as a single dent to our car on Tuesday. Being up in the Snowy Mountains can be risky during severe weather, as conditions can quickly change within hours or even minutes! And with limited shelter and Internet services, winding roads, steep terrain, etc it makes it even more difficult and dangerous (and often its not possible to get a clear visual for photographing and filming). And on a day like Tuesday, the weather setup was so volatile that any storms had the potential to be explosive, fast-moving, long-lived, erratic and very dangerous, possibly even tornadic!

But we dodged a few bullets and were able to take precautions, so we were lucky. And I have plenty of awesome footage that I am anxious to share! smile

After all the storm events Ive been experiencing in recent months, 2017/2018 has now joined the ranks of 2007/2008, 2009/2010, 2011/2012 and 2014/2015 as one of my best ever storm seasons! And theres still many months to go before the season ends, so plenty of time for more action. smile

#1448613 - 13/01/2018 16:17 Re: Vic a repeat brief hot day but followed with stormy change this time?? 11-13/1/18 [Re: Petros]
aussiestormfreak Offline

My report for Wednesday January 10th 2018:

Corryong Airport
Low: 11.9C; High: 31.1C; Rain: 0mm

Khancoban
Low: 11.7C; High: 30.4C; Rain: 1.0mm

Tumbarumba
Low: 9.0C; High: 29.0C; Rain: 0mm

Cabramurra
Low: 8.7C; High: 21.0C; Rain: 2.4mm

Perisher Valley
Low: 1.5C; High: 17.4C; Rain: 3.6mm

Thredbo Top Station
Low: 3.1C; High: 16.2C; Rain: 9.6mm

Thredbo Village
Low: 6.5C; High: 21.0C; Rain: 6.0mm

Following a very comfortable night for sleeping, it was a pleasantly warm to hot, dry and mostly sunny day with refreshing breezes. During the afternoon high cloud began arriving from the west and northwest ahead of the current weather system impacting Southeastern Australia, and this served to provide a beautiful sunset! smile

But the cloud cover also trapped a lot of left-over heat during the night; at 10pm it was still around 23C on my thermometer! crazy

#1448615 - 13/01/2018 16:23 Re: Vic a repeat brief hot day but followed with stormy change this time?? 11-13/1/18 [Re: Petros]
aussiestormfreak Offline

My report for Thursday January 11th 2018 (when I returned home from Corryong):

Corryong Airport
Low: 18.0C; High: 33.0C; Rain: 0mm

Khancoban
Low: 16.6C; High: 31.7C; Rain: 0mm

Tumbarumba
Low: 14.2C; High: 30.0C; Rain: 0mm

Cabramurra
Low: 12.1C; High: 21.8C; Rain: 0mm

Perisher Valley
Low: 8.2C; High: 19.8C; Rain: 0mm

Thredbo Top Station
Low: 8.4C; High: 17.5C; Rain: 0mm

Thredbo Village
Low: 10.0C; High: 24.0C; Rain: 0mm

My family and I returned home from Corryong due to personal commitments. We left town at about 3pm, stopping at Beechworth around 4:45pm for a 45-minute afternoon tea break. Just before 6pm we joined the M31 Hume Freeway (Melbourne-Sydney) at Wangaratta, arriving in Benalla approximately 20-30 minutes later for dinner, a powernap and some exercise.

Due to poor health, we decided to avoid our usual route home (through Swanpool and past Lake Nillahcootie to Bonnie Doon, Merton and Yarck). Instead we took our usual route from Melbourne to Corryong, but in reverse. We rejoined the Hume Freeway at Benalla at about 7:45pm, reaching the Goulburn Valley Highway at Seymour around 8:30pm. Just after 9pm we on the Melba Highway at Yea, heading southwards; within 45 minutes we crossed the Great Dividing Range at Castella into the Yarra Valley, and by about 9:50pm we re-entered the Melbourne metropolitan area at Lilydale. By 10:20pm we arrived home in Belgrave.

Weatherwise, it wasnt an overly eventful day. In short it was hazy, hot and humid, partly cloudy with sunny breaks, and a bit of a breeze (no showers or thunderstorms, despite the humidity and rather unstable, cloudy, convective conditions).

Afternoon highs were generally well over 30C, although the mercury dropped to around 28C as climbed the hills between Corryong and Tallangatta (including Shelley and Koetong); it was still around 32C in Beechworth. And across the Northern Plains and over the Murray River into the NSW Riverina, temperatures soared to around 35C or more! eek

As it got dark from Seymour onwards the temperature dropped to around 26-28C. Between Yea and Monbulk in Melbournes Dandenong Ranges it was about 24C, although it briefly dipped to 22C in Castella (between Kinglake and Toolangi). From Monbulk almost to Belgrave it was around 21C, but by the time we arrived home the temperature had risen back to 27C. poke

I caught a reasonably nice sunset as we travelled down the Hume from Benalla to Seymour, with the skies turning pink for a couple of minutes between Kerrisdale and Homewood (on the Goulburn Valley Highway near Yea) just before 9pm.

Here are the stats from the BOM and Weatherzone for the homeward journey:

Hunters Hill
Low: 16.2C; High: 27.5C; Rain: 0mm

Hume Reservoir
Low: 20.4C; High: 33.9C; Rain: 0mm

Albury/Wodonga
Low: 19.8C; High: 34.3C; Rain: 0mm

Rutherglen
Low: 18.3C; High: 34.6C; Rain: 0mm

Wangaratta
Low: 15.3C; High: 34.6C; Rain: 0mm

Benalla
Low: 15.1C; High: 35.0C; Rain: 0mm

Shepparton
Low: 14.5C; High: 35.6C; Rain: 0mm

Strathbogie
Low: 9.9C; High: 31.0C; Rain: 0mm

Mangalore
Low: 15.1C; High: 34.3C; Rain: 0mm

Haines Saddle
Low: 14.6C; High: 30.5C; Rain: 0mm

Lake Eildon
Low: 12.9C; High: 32.9C; Rain: 0mm

Coldstream
Low: 9.1C; High: 33.1C; Rain: 0mm

Ferny Creek
Low: 13.9C; High: 30.0C; Rain: 0mm

Scoresby
Low: 11.7C; High: 33.7C; Rain: 0mm

Melbourne (Olympic Park)
Low: 15.5C; High: 34.5C; Rain: 0mm

Looking forward to my next trip to Northern Victoria and across the Murray River into NSW/ACT, whenever that will be. But such a pity I never made it to Merimbula on the South Coast this year, but there's nothing I can do about it. frown

#1448617 - 13/01/2018 16:25 Re: Vic a repeat brief hot day but followed with stormy change this time?? 11-13/1/18 [Re: Petros]
aussiestormfreak Offline

My report for yesterday (Friday January 12th 2018):

It was undoubtedly a very, very sultry night; at midnight here in Belgrave it was still around 27C! Thank goodness for the air-conditioning.

We had two overnight lows. Firstly it dropped to 24.1C just before 9am, and then bottomed out further to 23.5C around 10:30am; Im still waiting for my first 25C+ night since February 9th last year when it dipped to 26.7C. My hottest January on record is 27.7C on January 3rd 2015 btw.

It reached a sweaty top of 29.0C around lunchtime, and it was mostly cloudy with some sunny breaks. There were also plenty of showers during the morning, but no measurable rainfall in the gauge just yet.

But after 1:30pm the weather really packed-up. It got very dark across the west as a line of heavy showers and locally severe thunderstorms developed over Melbournes eastern suburbs. Just before 2pm the main cumulonimbus storm cloud raced overhead, accompanied by a very dark, turbulent, ominous shelf cloud and some sporadic scud, along with blustery winds and the occasional rumble of thunder (I didnt see any lightning), and then followed by around 10-15 minutes of torrential rain! Yet another direct-hit!!! =D

I collected 3.2mm of rain during the storm, with a peak rainfall rate of 57.9mm/hr. The temperature fell from about 27C to 21C.

Once the squall line clear the skies remained overcast and the rain eased back to a sprinkle; a second line of storms swept through around 2:30pm but the most intense cells in the line missed us to the north and south. Aside from the rain, I only heard a few distant rumbles of thunder with this second storm front. Still, Im very happy. smile

The rest of the day was cooler around 19-20C but humid and damp with moderate showers or rain periods (no further storms) between 3pm and 8:30pm, with another 3.1mm in the gauge. So 6.3mm in total up until 8:30pm. It looked kinda foggy at sunset, by which time the temperature was around 17C and falling.

The cold front itself swept in around 10pm. Its passage triggered off another wave of fast-moving, locally heavy shower and thunderstorm activity, but these cleared by 11:30pm. A few final light showers and drizzle patches followed between midnight and 2am, before the weather finally cleared in preparation for the summer cold outbreak that has now burst upon us! smile

Edited by aussiestormfreak (13/01/2018 16:26)

#1448618 - 13/01/2018 16:28 Re: Vic a repeat brief hot day but followed with stormy change this time?? 11-13/1/18 [Re: Petros]
aussiestormfreak Offline

And as for todays report so far...

Overnight low of 13.4C, reached a top of 21.6C, with a total of 8.5mm of rain in the 24 hours to 9am.

A cool, mostly cloudy day (with some sunny breaks), with at times gusty west/northwesterly winds which swung southwesterly with the passage of this second cold front that arrived around 1pm.

Aside from a couple of extra showers that came through just before 8am, the weather here in Belgrave stayed mostly dry until lunchtime when the second cold front moved in. Showers and thunderstorms then redeveloped and increased into a more-or-less solid rainband! The rain started falling again here in Belgrave at about 1pm its been continuing for the past few hours.

So far Ive collected another 3.1mm in my gauge. The rainband should clear soon. And it looks like bay-effect will kick into gear; there's already some very impressive coldie convective shower and thunderstorm activity heading this way! I hear Port Phillip and Bass Strait are very warm atm, so fingers crossed that this cold pool will take full advantage of that energy. wink

Currently around 15C and falling.

#1448637 - 13/01/2018 18:16 Re: Vic a repeat brief hot day but followed with stormy change this time?? 11-13/1/18 [Re: Petros]
Petros Offline

Very well described ASF, glad you stayed safe.

At Maffra, we had a few rumbles late arvo, then a nice band of rain set in circa 5pm, still raining now, emptied out 15mm - which takes us to 28mm for this event since yest morning.

Nth Gippy will look fantastic over coming days.

....and there's a chance of circa 5mm more for here tonight (not to mention alpine snow) - hope I dont come across as bragging! smile

#1448638 - 13/01/2018 18:22 Re: Vic a repeat brief hot day but followed with stormy change this time?? 11-13/1/18 [Re: Petros]
Ruckle Offline

Loc: Woodend VIC 579m ASL - where w...
19.6c before the rain started, looked a lot better on radar than it was. 1.8mm. Sky has changed direction now and can see some congestus to the SW which is now more down wind, fingers crossed. Temp been around the high 12's the last couple of hours.

#1448645 - 13/01/2018 18:57 Re: Vic a repeat brief hot day but followed with stormy change this time?? 11-13/1/18 [Re: Petros]
Petros Offline

Good luck Ruckle, we've lucky out this side for several events now it seems!

#1448678 - 13/01/2018 21:35 Re: Vic a repeat brief hot day but followed with stormy change this time?? 11-13/1/18 [Re: Petros]
Ruckle Offline

I would guess I had about the same again since,will look in morning. 8.6c and breezy as well now - nice.

#1448708 - 14/01/2018 09:14 Re: Vic a repeat brief hot day but followed with stormy change this time?? 11-13/1/18 [Re: Petros]
Ruckle Offline

Ended up with another 4.4mm including a shower heavy enough to wake me at 230am.

#1448709 - 14/01/2018 09:24 Re: Vic a repeat brief hot day but followed with stormy change this time?? 11-13/1/18 [Re: Petros]
ThunderBob Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Sarsfield, East Gippsland, Vic
Another 15mm in the gauge to 0900 - making 37.5mm for the event - quite something for January.

#1448749 - 14/01/2018 14:23 Re: Vic a repeat brief hot day but followed with stormy change this time?? 11-13/1/18 [Re: Petros]
liberator Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Kyabram
nice bit of rain here.not a lot 7.5mm all up but enough to keep the lawn greener until we get by the next batch of hot days

#1448780 - 14/01/2018 17:34 Re: Vic a repeat brief hot day but followed with stormy change this time?? 11-13/1/18 [Re: Petros]
aussiestormfreak Offline

Thanks Petros! It took a lot of time to write up those reports, and they'll be important for future reference. smile

Continuing on from my last post yesterday...

The rainband and showers cleared off around 5pm (with 4.2mm in my gauge), but I didn't realise that the main cold front itself was still yet to arrive! As the front raced northeast across the Bay after 4:30pm a squall line of heavy showers and thunderstorms developed and headed straight at us!

I went for a quick walk around 5:30pm and saw plenty of low cloud about the place in the wake of the rainband; the sun was out at this stage and the temperature was around 15C. Immediately to the south was a wall of towering, dark cumulonimbus. At 5:44pm I heard one rumble of thunder (I didn't see any lightning), and went straight back home!

The storm burst upon us at 5:50pm, bringing a 10-minute downpour; the rain continued for about another 20 minutes after the main storm front cleared northeastwards.

I collected another 2.1mm of rain during the storm (so 6.3mm in total), with a peak rainfall rate of 95.8mm/hr. The temperature dropped to around 13C.

Between 7pm and midnight I was away from home attending a birthday party in Glen Waverley. The temperature was around 12-13C. Lots of heavy showers swept through during this time (no thunderstorms or hail, and with virtually no wind either), but in-between showers I was able to see the stars after dark. By the time I came home, I had collected 10.5mm of rain.

Another 2.1mm followed as a few more showers swept through during the early hours of the morning, but because winds were coming out of the south instead of the southwest I missed most of the shower activity.

In the 24 hours to 9am I obtained 12.6mm, bringing my current event, monthly and yearly total to 21.1mm. smile

Today's been much drier and sunnier, peaking at 23.2C. The overnight low was 9.3C, making it my coldest January night on record - the previous record was 9.5C on January 22nd last year.

The morning felt raw and gloomy with a few sporadic light showers while I was down in Dandenong this morning, and Dandenong Creek was up a bit (not in flood though).

Currently around 22C and sunny. smile

Hoping to scrap up another couple of millimetres with the passage of tomorrow's cold front. This rain is very much appreciated in light of how hot and dry it was last weekend, although the cold has come as a bit of a shock to the system lol. smile

#1448788 - 14/01/2018 18:39 Re: Vic a repeat brief hot day but followed with stormy change this time?? 11-13/1/18 [Re: ThunderBob]
Petros Offline

Originally Posted By: ThunderBob
Another 15mm in the gauge to 0900 - making 37.5mm for the event - quite something for January.

You win, another 4.75mm in my gauge from last evening rain band. Takes us to 32.75mm for this event.

For January, this sort of rain without being associated with an ECL is rare for Maffra. Gotta be something to do with the weak/late La Nina!

Played golf in Traralgon today, all green everywhere. You'd swear it was early December in Gippsland at the moment.

#1448793 - 14/01/2018 19:14 Re: Vic a repeat brief hot day but followed with stormy change this time?? 11-13/1/18 [Re: Petros]
doogasnow Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: traf/moe south 410m asl/west &...
I left for twofold bay at 5am sat morning, but
I did empty out 12mm at about 8pm Friday
Night so anything we had after that is a massive
Bonus.

A permanent resident that lives up here in the
Big 4 caravan park Has a rain Guage in the front garden
So I had a sneaky look and they have had
30mm+ up here! Bucketed down most
Of last night

#1448831 - 15/01/2018 10:16 Re: Vic a repeat brief hot day but followed with stormy change this time?? 11-13/1/18 [Re: Petros]
aussiestormfreak Offline

Enjoy staying at Eden on the NSW South Coast Doogasnow. I'm so jealous, oh how I miss staying at nearby Merimbula. frown

Anyway...

Overnight low of 12.3C, currently around 18C and cloudy. Collected another 2.1mm of rain during the night as the next cold front brushed by, bringing my event total here in Belgrave to 24.2mm. smile

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
6 registered (Steve O, kizz, snowbooby, Eigerwand, Dr Philosophy, 1 invisible), 328 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
anvildome, Davenn
Forum Stats
29604 Members
32 Forums
23930 Topics
1494249 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image