Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1451286 - 02/02/2018 12:03 Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding
bbowen Offline
Weather Freak

Hi All, This thread has been started so that discussion about the media (traditional & social) can be had. Topics such as sensationalism, false reporting, unqualified reports etc. are the perfect fodder.

#1451287 - 02/02/2018 12:09 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Warrigal, NSW, Australia
This is not going to end well.lol

#1451288 - 02/02/2018 12:23 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
bbowen Offline
Weather Freak

For me.

In terms of the social media side of things I find it arrogant that some have created 'businesses' out of effectively unqualified opinions.

I find it absurd that people follow these social media outlets believing it to be from qualified people/organisations.

I find it absurd that traditional media reports from unqualified people/social media sites.

As someone mentioned just recently already on this forum, which I agree with, social media seems to voice with impunity whatever they wish, but the flack is directed back towards the organisations eg. BOM.

Just some initial opinions.

#1451309 - 02/02/2018 16:30 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
retired weather man Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wynnum
Agree.

#1451330 - 02/02/2018 18:04 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
ol mate Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Ingham, North Qld
I'm happy for social media groups or amateurs to provide commentary, or even voice their thoughts on the various models and what they *may* bring, but charging a subscription and providing independent warnings, watches, advice's etc, even when the official BOM has not, is wrong. Even Weatherzone doesn't do this! I wouldn't mind paying for a subscription service if they are live-streaming an event, such as a cyclone or storm chase - that is basically commentary (no doubt they will also provide analyses of maps and forecasts as part of the chase).

#1451387 - 03/02/2018 10:07 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
Drought declared Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: bbowen
For me.

In terms of the social media side of things I find it arrogant that some have created 'businesses' out of effectively unqualified opinions.

I find it absurd that people follow these social media outlets believing it to be from qualified people/organisations.

I find it absurd that traditional media reports from unqualified people/social media sites.

As someone mentioned just recently already on this forum, which I agree with, social media seems to voice with impunity whatever they wish, but the flack is directed back towards the organisations eg. BOM.

BOM are just as bad and make a rod for their own back, by quoting an "above average" cyclone season, which crystal ball are they using?. Lenox Walker once said it will be a long hot summer buy these sprinklers? So we got the 74 floods instead?

#1451390 - 03/02/2018 10:29 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
ColdFront Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Burnett Heads
For me.

Yep agree 100% . As I said elsewhere , only qualified mets should be able to charge a subscription for forecasting and be regulated. I don't take any notice of Higgins and don't follow his site, however I wonder if some of the backlash from others that charge subscription also is envy based ,particularly when they have been guilty of the same sensationalism in the past themselves.

There are varying degrees of sensationalism so it is hard to enforce or draw a line. Bringing attention to a cyclone in the CS without mentioning that every model sends it east is deception imo. It is designed to draw an audience and hold it . What these fools fail to acknowledge is that the very mention of a cyclone fills some people with anxiety.

The Gillard government wanted more accountabilty in the media and its ironic that some are pointing the finger at the mainstream media now whilst exempting social media from blame. Or worse, blaming lack of intelligence in the audience. It is lack of regulation that has seen an explosion of "opinion"passed off as news in the msm.

Better regulation is needed. It has become a farce. Investigative media is rapidly becoming a thing of the past.

....and BoM's above average TC comments / forecasts are historically based. Some people seem to struggle with this. If there wasn't demand for the statenent they would not make it. There is simply no way they can forecast the exact outcome of a season. Expectation is the issue, not BoM.

#1451395 - 03/02/2018 10:57 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: ColdFront]
ColdFront Offline

Originally Posted By: ColdFront
What these fools fail to acknowledge is that the very mention of a cyclone fills some people with anxiety.

Actually, scratch that. Some of them use this very deliberate ommission as a hook.

#1451396 - 03/02/2018 10:58 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
ozone doug Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Roma SW QLD Eye to the West...
I agree with all this i don't like the subscription thing . The only thing i like is real time photos or video people post of what is actually happening at the time hail strong wind, shelf cloud to get a handle on whats happening .I don't agree with making a business out of it .Brisbane weather is probably one of the worst for going nuts.From what i saw when someone in this forum raised the flag. They give genuine storm spotters observers a bad name.

Edited by ozone doug (03/02/2018 11:06)

#1451397 - 03/02/2018 10:59 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: Drought declared]
bbowen Offline
Weather Freak

Drought declared here is what the BOM have said for the Cyclone outlook in the Coral Sea. (I have directly copied and pasted from their site.

Summary of the Tropical Cyclone Seasonal Outlook for Queensland

A 54% chance of an above average number of tropical cyclones in the Coral Sea (average number is 4).

* In a typical year the Eastern Region experiences around four cyclones.

* On average, one cyclone crosses the coast.

* The outlook accuracy for the Eastern Region is low.

Judging by that I as yet can't make the same statement you have. Also the BOM take the responsibilty of their forecasts, if they get it wrong everyone lets them know, if right no one bats an eye. As occurred during that recent flood event. In terms of the social media, I believe far more damage is being done because the general public sees these at times crazy predictions and still in some way associate it back to the BOM.

#1451403 - 03/02/2018 12:10 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
Brett Guy Offline

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
I personally don't have a problem with the social media sites. Even if they charge subscriptions. The caveat though is that our 'professional' media should be of a higher standard and should be calling the social media out for it's failings thereby holding the social media to a higher standard. Problem is professional media is just as bad as the worst social media sites. Sensationalism is running rife in print and visual news outlets and there is basically zero integrity to be found anymore. Especially in the commercial stations.

#1451419 - 03/02/2018 16:36 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
ColdFront Offline

Drought declared here is what the BOM have said for the Cyclone outlook in the Coral Sea. (I have directly copied and pasted from their site.

Summary of the Tropical Cyclone Seasonal Outlook for Queensland

A 54% chance of an above average number of tropical cyclones in the Coral Sea (average number is 4).

* In a typical year the Eastern Region experiences around four cyclones.

* On average, one cyclone crosses the coast.

* The outlook accuracy for the Eastern Region is low.

Judging by that I as yet can't make the same statement you have. Also the BOM take the responsibilty of their forecasts, if they get it wrong everyone lets them know, if right no one bats an eye. As occurred during that recent flood event. In terms of the social media, I believe far more damage is being done because the general public sees these at times crazy predictions and still in some way associate it back to the BOM.

Yep.

#1452832 - 15/02/2018 15:17 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
JuzzyDee Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Yeppoon, Qld
Had to revive this one after another atrocious joint venture by the Townsville Chronicle and Rockhampton Morning Bulletin. Apparently our weather hasn't produced sufficient FUD for them this season, so they've gone and found some lunatic who's predicting a cyclone based on sunspot activity, given his forecasts some sort of validation by claiming he successfully predicted Debbie and Yasi, and quote him telling us that a significant category cyclone will form by the end of the month and impact the coast in early March. Only in the very last lines of the article do they state that the official from the BOM doesn't go beyond 10 days and that so far the conditions aren't conducive to support his claims.

Surely these media outlets shouldn't be able to search these people out then parade it as breaking news.

#1452834 - 15/02/2018 15:22 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
batty Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Finch Hatton Gorge
yea just saw that too...... shocked

#1452841 - 15/02/2018 15:53 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: batty]
gympieweather Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Veteran Weather Station, Queen...
Originally Posted By: batty
yea just saw that too...... shocked

Not just Townsville Chronicle, it's breaking news in the Gympie Times Chronicle as well! Anything for a story it seems...

#1452843 - 15/02/2018 15:57 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
Squeako_88 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Elimbah 4516
He said the exact same thing late last year in the sunshine coast daily https://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/ne...autumn/3300618/ ... but he forecast the same crap year after year after year.

Edited by Squeako_88 (15/02/2018 15:57)

#1452861 - 15/02/2018 17:02 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
Long Road Home Offline

Loc: Northern Beaches Syd
I'd like to see some input from qualified Mets and how accurate they believe these 'social media' forecasts are in comparison to what they (the Mets) would be forecasting.

#1452871 - 15/02/2018 17:28 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
cold@28 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Chillagoe
Seems like there's an across the board, across the planet intention to completely and utterly bamboozle and frighten the general population.

#1453844 - 22/02/2018 09:55 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
Flowin Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Pinjarra Hills, Qld
And then you also get these types of predictions...

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queen...e0c1ca83bf6d2e8

#1453868 - 22/02/2018 12:05 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: Flowin]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Warrigal, NSW, Australia
Originally Posted By: Flowin
And then you also get these types of predictions...

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queen...e0c1ca83bf6d2e8

We have been doing it wrong all these years !

The September / October predictions will be the telling ones.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
5 registered (Phantom, bd bucketingdown, Foehn Correspondent, 2 invisible), 343 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
bruny, DavidJK, Jeepie
Forum Stats
29586 Members
32 Forums
23919 Topics
1493092 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image