Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#1457266 - 15/03/2018 14:38 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Toronto N.S.W
I wouldn't glorify the Bom as purveyors of forecasting 'truth' 180 degrees from Higgins ravings.
It has been the case, in short term and long term forecasts, too numerous to mention, that the Bom has been wrong. Leaving aside the subject of spurious press releases, fudged data etc etc which has only been highlighted by citizen weather enthusiasts. The media pedals Bom claptrap just as willingly as Higgins claptrap.

Edited by Knot (15/03/2018 14:40)

#1457267 - 15/03/2018 14:41 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: Knot]
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wollongong, NSW, Aus
Originally Posted By: Knot
I wouldn't glorify the Bom as purveyors of forecasting 'truth' 180 degrees from Higgins ravings.
It has been the case, in short term and long term forecasts, too numerous to mention, that the Bom has been wrong. Leaving aside the subject of spurious press releases, fudged data etc etc

Agree 1000% - they are almost the same as Higgins - they determine what the Public should/shouldn't know and in doing so gave rise to the alternate weather sites. If the BoM would be more like the NOAA, for e.g., the perhaps these alternates wouldn't get much oxygen. Added to that the religious zeal re: 'climate change' also sees them lose all credibility IMO.

#1457272 - 15/03/2018 15:10 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
NotsohopefulPete Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Toowoomba
Very serious accusations above!

#1457273 - 15/03/2018 15:26 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
Mike Hauber Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Buderim
Poor article. The prime criticism being that some farmer in SW Qld hundreds of kilometers away from where the heavy rain was forecast got only 7 mm. The type of thing fairly typical of the BOM bashers. More focus should have been made on the extremity of Higgins claims trying to compare the event to 74 etc.

#1457278 - 15/03/2018 16:13 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
Markus Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Clare, SA
The reality is the BoM do an inadequate job of weather forecasting in Australia. Their forecasts are so bloody basic these days (at least what is available for free) and their longterm forecasts so unreliable is it any wonder people are opting for alternative services.

I don't blame BoM though, I blame the government and their lack of funding.

As for the article, it makes no difference. He will twist the facts and his followers will believe it, and they will spread the mis-information further across the net and he'll end up with even more followers. The guy could get it wrong 100 times in a row and people would say, "yeah but you can't be right everytime", while these people simultaneously bash everyone else for getting it 'wrong'. Gotta love the point scoring world of weather forecasting lol.

http://markdawsonphoto.wordpress.com/

#1457281 - 15/03/2018 16:22 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
Long Road Home Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Northern Beaches Syd
If I had a follower for every time I've seen "Don't worry about the haters, you guys do a fantastic job" in the comment section of Higgin's statuses, I'd probably have more than his page does.

True about the BoM, ever since their introduction of the automated forecasts, the accuracy has gone downhill. The event that sticks in the mind is the slow moving storm that dumped over 100mm in 2 hours on Penrith back in early 2012, people rescued from their homes by boat. The forecast for the day was something like "60% chance of a late shower". No human input = fail.

#1457287 - 15/03/2018 17:23 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
Steve O Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Beenleigh, QLD
The weather is serious business it affects everyone. How can you cut funding to an organisation like the BOM. There is so much wrong with Facebook everyone has an opinion thats how wars start. On the other hand it is one of the biggest changes to the modern world attached to the press of a button. Its just too easy until the next thing that comes along and revolutions how we do and see things it won't last forever.

#1457292 - 15/03/2018 17:57 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
liberator Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Kyabram
Then we get the media going mad for all of those huge downpours we were going to get a few months back - 200ml plus in some areas.

The media were having a feeding frenzy. Yeah we got about 70ml up this way but the way it was being reported it was the coming of armageddon and people were asking where's Noah's Ark? So whos at fault? The BOM for warning of the potential or the media for their feeding frenzy?

I still recall front pages of a paper who had pictures of the Melbourne streets flooding from many many years ago. Did it happen per these new stories. So whos to blame?

The BOM for the forecasts or the media for the sensationalist reporting? I don't recall it being as a significant event as reported below. Better to be safe than sorry if it did come off as forecast and not reported there would be calls for blood.

https://museumsvictoria.com.au/sciencewo...tes-march-2018/

#1457294 - 15/03/2018 18:16 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
retired weather man Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wynnum
As a former BoM employee I note the funding comments. These cuts began with a new Hawke/Keating initiative called " Efficiency Dividends " in 1985, which applied to all Comm. departments. Translated, this meant start getting rid of staff and start bringing in the machines to replace them to save money.

I left BoM 10 years later in the early days of automation when stations were still fully staffed 24/7 in most cases on larger airports, 21 hours on smaller airports.

We operated all equipment - radars, sondes, chart plotting - manually and on larger airports alongside the forecasters. If a developing weather situation was noted we notified the forecasters straight away and action was taken. Although we did routine 30 minute manual observations ( more in bad weather for aviation ) if no forecaster was available, we would ring up Brisbane and advise the duty Met. if something was cropping up, and again action was taken.

An example of staffing changes - in Townsville in the mid 80's, there were 26 staff - Technicians, Mets, Aviation briefing officers, Communication staff, Plotters, Weather observers/radar/sonde operators - covering 24/7.. Today, and I might be wrong here, Ken could verify, I think there are 1 to 3 staff, and soon to be zero, if not already.

#1457297 - 15/03/2018 19:19 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
ozone doug Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Roma SW QLD Eye to the West...
I visited the Moree station in 2012 and was only one person running it at the time i was there in the morning and watched the weather radar/sonde and observer and spent about 1 1/2 hrs there.

#1457305 - 15/03/2018 20:33 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
Flowin Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Pinjarra Hills, Qld
I don't have a problem with the Facebook rogue forecasters, for a very simple reason. I don't use Facebook and I have no plans to.
I think a big missing part in this perceived problem is that all people need to be more discerning in what they read and believe. We are humans not sheep.

#1457309 - 15/03/2018 20:55 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: Flowin]
cold@28 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Chillagoe
Originally Posted By: Flowin
I don't have a problem with the Facebook rogue forecasters, for a very simple reason. I don't use Facebook and I have no plans to.
I think a big missing part in this perceived problem is that all people need to be more discerning in what they read and believe. We are humans not sheep.

People will never be more discerning. Most people simply *trust* and don't and won't believe people are out to hoodwink them or rip them off, until they are individually affected. It's unfortunate but most people won't even allow you to say anything different. But that's the way the world is.

#1457316 - 15/03/2018 21:33 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: Flowin]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

A simple, effective strategy. I got into farcebook when it kicked off. But I gave it the flick ages ago. Got sick of reading what people had for breakfast he he.

#1457317 - 15/03/2018 21:35 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: Flowin]
Seira Offline

Loc: Central Adelaide Hills

People [plural] may be more discerning if individuals [singular] are not treated like sheep... I had a little LOL about that too smile .

#1457354 - 16/03/2018 09:25 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
Snowies Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Westbury
Be an interesting day if one of the social media sites (especially one taking money) is sued for their forecasts. Could easily be a farmer or a group of farmers who invest based on a climatic forecast for the season ahead or something similar. Not that anyone is likely to sue for a severe storm/flood that never comes. As the BOM found out in the late 90's, you're more likely to get sued for the forecasts/warnings you don't make when there is a large storm just down the road.

Many of these sites are quick to pick up the errors that other forecasting organisations have made, but are blind to their own - or at least have justified their own errors.

#1457473 - 17/03/2018 04:13 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: Knot]
Long Road Home Offline

Loc: Northern Beaches Syd
Originally Posted By: Knot

A simple, effective strategy. I got into farcebook when it kicked off. But I gave it the flick ages ago. Got sick of reading what people had for breakfast he he.

Having coco pops today, yum yum laugh

#1457474 - 17/03/2018 06:43 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Ha ha. Good one

#1457485 - 17/03/2018 08:55 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
wilyms Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Roma, Qld
We can only hope:

The only thing that has changed is that NO HSC administrator including myself will conduct any form of media interviews in the future. They manipulate and twist the facts of what we do or say to them.

#1457510 - 17/03/2018 10:39 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: Snowies]
ColdFront Offline

Loc: Burnett Heads
Originally Posted By: Snowies
As the BOM found out in the late 90's, you're more likely to get sued for the forecasts/warnings you don't make when there is a large storm just down the road.

I recall one of those events where a storm formed just west of Brisbane and ruined a weekend market. The media went to town on BoM for limited warning and yet I saw the warnings for severe storms the night before on the news IN THE WHITSUNDAYS.

I get sick of people blaming BoM for their own inability to comprehend variability or being too lazy to stick their heads out the window and look up. It's easy to crap on about the cuts and lack of funding every time a forecast goes wrong but ultimately it is really about one's own ignorance.

The weather is chaos and certainly seldom goes to plan. Maybe when people accept that fact they will stop blaming others.

#1457516 - 17/03/2018 11:20 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
ozone doug Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Roma SW QLD Eye to the West...
I was filmed and interviewed in 2010 floods in Roma .Ch TEN and Qld premier at my place Never saw the interview till a year later . We were warned but got trapped when a wall of water came water earlier than expected And was able to get next door that was a high house and watch our house go under.There was a big deal about the gas guys helping and being filmed at my place , Unfortunately stuff that was in my gaurge that i said to leave and i would see what i could salvage later was stolen probably about $1000 dollars worth I hope it was a mistake .. I was shocked at how i looked i suppose after a couple day with out sleep and dealing with the clean up inch of mud in the house and walls Glad i put a sand bag in the toilet before leaving Got to think of the little things lol.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
4 registered (Phantom, bd bucketingdown, 2 invisible), 344 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
bruny, DavidJK, Jeepie
Forum Stats
29586 Members
32 Forums
23919 Topics
1493092 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image