Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#1457546 - 17/03/2018 14:15 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: ColdFront]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
CF I was there that day , it was the kelvin grove markets on a sat morning, was always going to be an epic storm day , we saw it coming in fast , checked radar , had a laugh and decided to take shelter on an eastern facing wall that had bench seats. Literally until the moment the wind hit , hardly anyone had taken any notice. There were gazebos going airborne and twisting all over the place and they all looked surprised. I couldnít believe how some complained about no warnings , when in fact there was . Some folk just walk around in a daze ignorant of their surroundings I reckon.

#1457715 - 18/03/2018 11:49 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
wilyms Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Roma, Qld
Itís about funding AND adaptation. Like I wrote earlier the mainstream media fluffed it completely about the rise and impact of social media.
Same with government agencies

Only those who have worked in them can possibly understand the bureaucracy (and BOM has part of that word in their name so what hope there!) and change in government has been described as turning a supertanker- it happens slowly.

The first adopters were those organisations who actually saw their Ďcustomersí face to face. Think QPS and their often lighthearted Twitter feed.

Other organisations like BOM who just do their job and then passively release info have come along a lot later. They now produce high quality video forecasts along with all the normal day to day material. And when I say day to day I mean hundreds of products

But with, I assume, no new positions just like everywhere else and then funding cuts (either actual or worse by stealth where funding doesnít keep up with inflation) the people working there are asked to do more with less

The real issue that comes with any government organisation entering the social media sphere is the expectation of instant information and updates. Because of the above net funding and resource cuts things take long and so the response time isnít there. Even if you are lucky enough to have media people, they only work Monday to Friday so unlike the FB pages you canít do a quick update over Sunday breakfast

So itís a no win situation really - BOM is trying to be relevant by being in social media but by doing so is also making a rod for its back. They canít be everything to everyone but are expected to be - as the point of truth.

More funding would help Iím sure but then joe publicís expectations just go up as well.

#1457718 - 18/03/2018 11:58 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Toronto N.S.W
Bom - 'the point of truth'
Hilarious.

#1457732 - 18/03/2018 13:02 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: Knot]
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wollongong, NSW, Aus
Originally Posted By: Knot
Hilarious.

Agree. The primary reason alternate weather info sites, even like Weatherzone, rose to such significance is directly attributable to the BoM and they ultra-conservative behaviours and refusal to adapt. I'll say again, contrast the NOAA, a publicly funded organisation, with the BoM and there is no comparison . The NOAA tell it as it is warts and all. The BoM 'censor' information.

#1457783 - 18/03/2018 16:40 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: wilyms]
Seira Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Adelaide Hills
Originally Posted By: wilyms
They [the Bureau] canít be everything to everyone but are expected to be - as the point of truth.

[], Bold Added.
I strongly agree. And that's my view -- not taking "sides" smile .

#1457812 - 18/03/2018 19:52 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: Knot]
wilyms Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: Knot
Hilarious.

Sorry but you couldnít be more wrong and have obviously never worked in disaster management. BOM briefings are the back bone of agency decision making.

I agree that the easily accessible, free, publicly available material leaves a lot to be desired but as per my previous post, that wasnít why the BOM was originally conceived - at least not the extent of information demanded now.

Again, adaptation

#1458139 - 20/03/2018 20:23 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
Drought declared Offline
Weather Freak

The New Messiah has spoken.

Higgins Storm Chasing I will provide no formal comment towards the.... no actually yes I will because I donít care. They need to be stood up and pointed out for their bureaucratic BS they feed Australia.
The recent animation that they provided was LAME and shows no truth in the ACTUAL global model forecast data that WE have access to on the same level as them.
Keep providing Australia with red tape forecasts meanwhile we will demonstrate exactly how itís done

#1458195 - 21/03/2018 08:33 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
wilyms Offline
Weather Freak

Not sure what HSC is on about here (again)

BOMs spaghetti model animation shows two of the three models with a central or slightly western gulf position on Sat 24

HSCís own spiel says

The exact forecast track of the system between ECMWF and GFS models is varying slightly at this point between the Western or Centre of the Gulf.

Sounds like alignment to me but then Iím not a premium member so I donít get to see their full Ďforecastí of a cyclone that hasnít even developed yet

#1458295 - 21/03/2018 18:11 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I have noticed this increasing annoying trend in the media of giving Aboriginal folkloric opinions about weather event causation an airing. Now it is perfectly acceptable for people have to have folkloric tales about such matters. But what is not acceptable in my opinion, is giving such opinions a certain solemnity that in the end undermines the scientific method upon which meteorology presumably rests. I say this after reading an ABC sourced piece in WZ news that concludes with this nonsense

'What are the Larrakia stories about cyclones?
Manmam-ma, or cyclones, are a sign of a troubled planet, according to Larrakia woman and ethno-botanical researcher Lorraine Williams, .
They seem most frequent during dalay, which is the monsoon season running from January to March.
Some Larrakia people say that Cyclone Tracey was brought about by disturbances to the Darriba Nungalinya (Old Man Rock), the sacred site and tidal outcrop near Rapid Creek beach.
To the west of Darwin, in Arnhem Land, .
Burrmalala is regarded as a troublesome family member, and was detected by old people watching the sea breathing and white cockatoos flying away.'

This kind of non sequitur nonsense deserves no more ink wasted on it than a view espoused by a christian that Cyclone Tracy was punishment for transgressions. A publicly voiced opinion along those lines would be roundly condemned. And so should these views expressed by certain people of Aboriginal descent in the NT. Linking natural events like Cyclones to the breaking of taboos, breaking of religious edicts etc etc should be given no favourable focus in the media.

P.s I notice in the article the ABC writer couldn't even spell Cyclone Tracy correctly. Sheeesh

Edited by Knot (21/03/2018 18:21)

#1458337 - 21/03/2018 23:40 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
Flowin Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Pinjarra Hills, Qld
.... Knot you are going into some dangerous territory with that post.

#1458338 - 21/03/2018 23:46 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: wilyms]
Flowin Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: wilyms

HSCís own spiel says

The exact forecast track of the system

That says it all for lack of credibility. Anybody who uses the word "exact" in relation to a forecast is not understanding uncertainty in forecasts, or deliberately ignoring uncertainty for a greater motive.

#1458340 - 22/03/2018 00:47 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
ColdFront Offline

Loc: Burnett Heads
Speaking of lack of credibility. No wonder people are confused when lazy news stations can't get the basics right.

#1458345 - 22/03/2018 05:40 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: Flowin]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Flowin
.... Knot you are going into some dangerous territory with that post.

Defending the scientific method against superstition has always been dangerous.
There is no place for folklore, myth, religion, whatever metaphysical jive from any quarter when it comes to cyclone causation. If the dumb as rocks media gets away with it than we might as well start casting lots and examining entrails.

#1458360 - 22/03/2018 09:19 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: ColdFront]
wilyms Offline
Weather Freak

Yeah he really needs to wear a tie to be credible....... :-)

Just joking - for the record itís the central pressure figure and thatís a fair gap from the estimated low 920s

#1459581 - 28/03/2018 16:20 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
ColdFront Offline

Loc: Burnett Heads
Channel 7 at it again this morning, promising 400mm of rain for the Whitsundays next Wednesday. The fun starts Monday apparently so best go empty the supermarket shelves before the shops close for Easter.

#1463471 - 09/05/2018 20:14 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
Flowin Offline
Weather Freak

A factor at play with uninformed commentary, is the dimishing respect for the old two for one paradigm.
We are born with two ears and one mouth. So we should listen twice as much as we speak.
We are born with two eyes and learnt to write with one hand. So we should read twice as much as we write.
But now we have keyboards that we can use with two hands, so keyboard warriors are writing more...
Taking time read (research, learn etc) is critical. I often look for a second credible source

#1464020 - 17/05/2018 23:44 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
Seira Offline

Without traditional and social media use -- by presenters/users -- many people would probably not be aware of what is happening with the weather and climate, if it is not their primary focus. So I'd say that is at least one positive thing about the use of these resources as a medium for conveying information smile .

Another positive (negative connotations or not) is that this stuff is being discussed here smile .

Edited by Seira (17/05/2018 23:51)

#1464987 - 05/06/2018 00:06 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
poida84 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: buxton,wollondilly
So after reading this whole thread i decided to leave Macarthur storm chasers as admin and removed all my photos from there.... i had issues with one of the admins there who has no idea about weather or how it works.

yet somehow he/she is an expert, post false information about upcoming weather or false reports. For past few years just kept getting worse..

i started to just stick to only taking photos of the storms and putting them up and not even do any warnings just left it for him/her to enjoy the glory or large reach going through the roof or doing local radio interviews which are very cringy as they treat her like a pro MET she would falsely predict armageddon coming in next hour (which never happens) started to get so ridiculous he/she thinks sleet falls at 8C or Snows at 6C she would claim large Hail is falling (i was nearby once no hail LOL)list goes on so yeh you get the picture.. after reading the above i realized how much i was a fool accepting the back lash in comments to defend the page because 1 person thinks they are weather genius... check the page out you will see what i mean..

thank you i feel much better now ill stick to photography and this forum still no more face palm moments...:D

#1467298 - 13/07/2018 21:17 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
Seira Offline

After searching through this thread again...I see zero impact on the Coriolis Force, the 2nd Law of thermodynamics, or Newton's 2nd Law of motion smile ...so go figure!

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Who's Online
0 registered (), 328 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Caldoche, David Obeid, desblair, Morrisjub, rmj007, rummy21, StormQueen
Forum Stats
29636 Members
32 Forums
23952 Topics
1495993 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image