Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#1480740 - 15/12/2018 11:04 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
Raindammit Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Townsville & Bilyana NQ
The usual amount of over-hype and misinformation.

What astonishes me though, is just how many people fall for this hook, line and sinker. Even people who I normally would think would know better. Some people just love to buy into the hype though, for vanity reasons, ignorance, who knows.

As I say to everyone who asks - always rely on the BOM website for the most up to date warnings and forecasts. Outside of BOM, always find out who is the most reliable weather commentator, with the best track record. If they are asking you to subscribe to get access to their opinions/forecasts, do your research first, question their motives. Check their past accuracy. Are they simply parrotting what you can already get access to for free?

It's amazing that the media (in general) considers the factual reporting of cyclones as an inconvenience, and focusses more on the potential (and often totally inaccurate) destruction/mayem/carnage that they will bring. When a headline for a cyclone looks like it's been ripped straight from New Idea, you know something is horribly wrong.

#1480741 - 15/12/2018 11:04 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
Brett Guy Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Bently Park, Cairns
Originally Posted By: bbowen
What's peoples opinions around the recent Cyclone Owen reporting?

I have to laugh at reporters placed along the east coast line, reporting basically nothing.

I also remembered during Cyclone Debbie, Tony Audin from Seven news,really trying to stick to facts and not buying into the sensationalism that was going on around him.

Painful at best and dishonest at worst. It is either a lack of any knowledge or research on behalf of the traditional media or a lack of integrity. In either case it is shameful. Just watched the 'on location' reporter in cairns(for sunrise) say the rain we are currently getting has nothing to do with Owen. As for social media. The usual suspects are being sensationalist idiots and the respecable group is doing its regular informative thing. There is obviously a case of good and bad, it just seems the bad outweighs the good.

#1480928 - 15/12/2018 18:14 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
Seira Offline

Loc: Adelaide Hills
What's peoples opinions around the recent Cyclone Owen reporting?

I have to laugh at reporters placed along the east coast line, reporting basically nothing.

I don't really have views on this other than lack of exposure and ignorance of such things.

I also remembered during Cyclone Debbie, Tony Audin from Seven news,really trying to stick to facts and not buying into the sensationalism that was going on around him.

Sounds reasonable to me smile -- focusing on facts.

Edited by Seina (15/12/2018 18:18)

#1481009 - 15/12/2018 20:53 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
Flowin Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Pinjarra Hills, Qld
Forecasting the weather is hard enough, but forecasting media response involves added complexity. On one hand it easy to predict that the media will sensationalise. How bad that sensationalism will be involves the added complexity involving personality of the reporters. Whether such sensationalism gains traction depends on what else is in the news on the day.

#1481029 - 15/12/2018 21:53 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
Seira Offline

Sensationalism of weather information, is a distortion of facts as they would have originally been conveyed, which means they lack veracity. For facts to be eroded, assumptions would be made, which cannot or are not checked. I don't have all the answers to this stuff, but that I do know.

Edited by Seina (15/12/2018 21:58)

#1481034 - 15/12/2018 22:12 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
Flowin Offline
Weather Freak

Distortions of facts maybe deliberate or also just omission from not seeing and acknowledging the complete picture. Unfortunately not seeing or acknowledging may, and probably often, be a predetermined bias. Sometimes a conscious bias sometimes not.

#1481038 - 15/12/2018 22:19 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
Seira Offline

I do not think traditional or social media are "the issue" re: impact on weather understanding. Yes, distortions of facts maybe deliberate or otherwise....but they are given the opportunity nonetheless. How we interpret these things is up to us... smile ! And to be frank, I don't find debating this on and on worthwhile unless insight of some kind is in mind, grievances aside.

Enjoy.

Edited by Seina (15/12/2018 22:26)

#1481041 - 15/12/2018 22:39 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: bbowen]
Flowin Offline
Weather Freak

Agree with that. Problem is more people not scrutinising what they read or hear, rather than what is put out there, as there will always be rubbish out there.
I don't approach this as a debate on the topic, rather my approach is about sharing observations, with an open mind to others observations and comments.

Edited by Flowin (15/12/2018 22:41)

#1481337 - 16/12/2018 23:13 Re: Traditional media & Social media and the impact on weather understanding [Re: Flowin]
Seira Offline

Originally Posted By: Flowin
I don't approach this as a debate on the topic, rather my approach is about sharing observations, with an open mind to others observations and comments.

I agree with sharing observations, in that because they are factual, they can been seen for what they are smile . I also don't mind a bit of speculation (mostly fun)...if it is based on something already know. It's when mole hills start to become mountains that I tend to think twice about getting involved. I guess, through our individual filters, it is always possible to make the occasional mistake or oversight...however overall I would think being conscientious about accurately representing facts is important the avoid misleading others.

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Who's Online
16 registered (Rainbow Spirit, Snapper22lb, cold@28, mithrandir, Weary, bundybear, Dr Philosophy, wet sky, Farra, kizz, GringosRain, Birdie, Weathergrrl, 3 invisible), 104 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Dale Small, Michael Bath, Ronfishes
Forum Stats
29890 Members
32 Forums
24117 Topics
1521815 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image