Page 134 of 144 < 1 2 ... 132 133 134 135 136 ... 143 144 >
Topic Options
#1454716 - 26/02/2018 11:05 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
ozone doug Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Roma SW QLD Eye to the West...
Hi all ,New earthquake close to au .

A magnitude-7.5 earthquake has struck Papua New Guinea's southern highlands.

The quake hit in the early hours of this morning at a depth of 35 kilometres.

The epicentre was about 96 kilometres south-west of Mendi, the capital of Southern Highlands province, a town of more than 50,000 people.

It is not clear yet if there are any casualties, but Don Blakeman from the United States Geological Survey (USGS) said significant damage was likely.

"Any geologic situation like steep valleys or any type of construction, [like] buildings, mines, that sort of thing, since this is a shallow earthquake it shakes all of that a lot more," he told the ABC.

"Landslides are a lot more common and should be expected."

The Geological Survey said there was no danger of a tsunami.

#1454833 - 26/02/2018 20:08 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
Be plenty of landslides is correct , and there will ne plenty of choppers up inspecting gas and power lines. Pretty wild country up there.

#1455326 - 01/03/2018 19:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
wilyms Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Roma, Qld

#1455419 - 02/03/2018 10:36 Re: Earthquakes [Re: wilyms]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi folks. Back from a it of a break smile

I have seen the action in the Pacific in the past week. As I mentioned in a last post, when the action comes up in the west - look east - then action in the east look west. This is what I meant regarding the potential of activity in the Pacific. When the quakes were popping up in the east of the Pacific - quakes/tremors followed on in the west - and visa-versa. If you sat for the week staring at a live map - you possibly would have seen this kind of tremor/quake/energy behaviour happening. [remember - these are just my opinions]. The energy is still filtering through various place lining the coasts in the Pacific and creeping inland in some places.

The large quake in PNG was a doozy and predictably brought on landslides unfortunately. This quake caused ongoing tremors/quakes in the same location as the fault/problem spot settled and kept moving.

A lovely set of 'ribbed' clods formed ESE [distance ?] of here before a small tremor may have registered on a Vic seismo. Dunno if anything has been formally recorded, but my intuition suspects that this may have happened.

Australia is trotting along quite nicely with tremors here and there still. Here's the last 7 days of formal record of tremors for Oz - here
I think I can see a couple of patterns/lines......

NE of England [at sea] recently had another small tremor. I had a feeling [mentioned] some time back that the Brits may feel or experience a tremor or two. The other countries to the NE - e.g. Norway and/or Sweden may come up with a small tremor at some point. The Netherlands may have a small niggle in time too.

The Canadian west coast - yet again - has responded to all of the quake action to its north in Alaska and to its south in the U.S. and beyond with an M3.8.. Hopefully the energies affecting the other regions will partially bypass the Canadian west coast/complex plates at sea/Cascade region and continue to release elsewhere [not that I am wishing for quakes to affect other folks].

I haven't looked at the European quake lists and maps, but I am guessing we will see some more tremors/quakes come up in or around the Mediterranean Sea. This may also translate to the north into other nearby European countries.

For some reason "New York, NY" is on my mind - maybe for a small movement...?

Here's a bit of an off-topic set of 'info' [for you to presume or conclude what you wish] I happened across the following, when thinking about the sea disappearing from the beaches in eastern South America fairly recently [late 2017]. I have never heard of the South American Roll - as is mentioned in the following 2 links. I personally will maintain an open mind and am interested in many aspects of 'why' the water receded from various sources. Anyway, I'll add below what I found and see what you think.....

South American Roll [a couple of articles down the page]

Anyway, for now, Duck.

#1455919 - 06/03/2018 13:19 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
EddyG Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Port Stephens NSW
Hi guys

Found this interesting article on the web.
https://www.instagram.com/eddygroot/

#1456504 - 10/03/2018 12:16 Re: Earthquakes [Re: EddyG]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I had a look at that vid EddyG and it would be a nightmare if that came off. Equally, the U.S. and Canada [both west coasts] worry about the potential of something similar to this happening for them too.
There is potential somewhere on the planet for a really nasty quake to happen - when I don't know - but I am sure the scientists are monitoring what they are able to gage with the crustal/plate movements, and keeping an eye on any potential warning signs. let's hope this kind of disaster doesn't happen of course - but one day it may - possibly or not in our lifetimes.

In my last post I mentioned that "look to the east - then look to the west - and visa versa". This could be applied to the current happenings in the Pacific, I feel. Just when something moderate comes up in the west of the Pacific - rumblings or other moderate quakes come up in the east of the Pacific - and visa-versa. The Pacific has remained very active for quite while now - it is still very unsettled. The Earth never stops moving of course, but the Pacific is on a good roll at the moment and recently. It may signal a precursor set of behaviours to another M7 or M7+ somewhere.......I could be wrong.

The Pacific Islands east, NE and NNE of Queensland are in a state of almost constant movements currently. I call the regions around Fiji and other island countries nearby "the hinge" in the western Pacific. I feel that this can be a rather vulnerable spot [vast region and not specifically saying Fiji] to large quakes.

Canada west coast is responding to nearby country's EQ activity atm.. as I anticipated it would. One day soon we may see an M5 crop up off shore in amongst the complex plate region, if the energy running through there and the energy bypassing this location meet and get snagged - causing a possible M5? [just my opinion].

Australia may respond to the quakes happening north, NNE, NE and east of Queensland yet. I wouldn't be surprised if a tremor came up in the Coral Sea or offshore QLD or somewhere nearby.

I feel the energy in the above-mentioned regions may filter down thorough NZ and SW way offshore of southern NZ and halfway between Oz and NZ [maybe around the Tasman Sea or south of Tassie. This may then push some energy back into Tasmania, Vic, NSW and SA. [again, these are just my fleeting thoughts and not absolute predictions. My perception of energy 'travel' and impetus may be wrong folks].

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (10/03/2018 12:19)

#1456696 - 11/03/2018 21:08 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Well since my last post, Vic and WA have come up with tremors. I actually slightly felt the tremor to my east epicentered north of Rawson.
What I am 'seeing' is the beginning of the activity I anticipated for Oz. Yes, I didn't mention WA's tremors in the mix, but the fact that they have come up doesn't surprise me. All of the larger activity happening near Oz, I feel is putting pressure on our continent's edges and potentially weaker spots. So if more tremors come up around and/or near the coasts, my thoughts may be correct to a degree. My intuition was and is suspicious of energy being passed into Australia by larger quakes around the edges of the Australian Plate.

Saw some incredible ribbed clouds for 5 minutes [duration] today in the east of Vic. They formed and disappeared in that time. It was actually my son-in-law2B who spotted them first. I know these may have been just an atmospheric happening, but they always catch my eye. Also when Rawson's tremor occurred, the bird sounds ceased momentarily.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (11/03/2018 21:08)
Edit Reason: spelling again

#1458717 - 24/03/2018 12:53 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks. Been a while.... smile

Just popped in to show you a link [not EQ related] of the webcam vision of Cowes Yacht Club on Phillip Island for the last 3 hours. This webcam updates so if you miss this footage of the water flooding from behind the beach - onto the beach and out - incorporated with a rather quick receding tide line - then I do have video of it [which show the first instance the water floods onto the beach in an incredible rush], but not sure if I am allowed to post it [copyright reasons...? as it is taken from the website].

Cowes Yacht Club webcam

Sorry I haven't been around here before now, but will catch up on EQ stuff a.s.a.p..

For the moment, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (24/03/2018 12:58)
Edit Reason: spelling again ;)

#1459454 - 27/03/2018 19:05 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I always seem to be distracted with other things lately. This has had me not paying much attention to the EQ activity. But, I did notice, fleetingly, that the energy was building in the Pacific west again before the bigguns in PNG and the Banda Sea. In seeing this activity prior to these larger quakes, I had a sneaking suspicion that there was going to be another larger quake in this region [didn't mention my suspicions while absent from this thread.

I have noticed today that a seismo near the SSE coast of Victoria seems to have picked up some irritations [a couple of good little spikes] and another seismo [have to check its location] has also shown some irritation within the same hour time-frame.
Maybe, and I mean maybe, the activity on the SSE Vic seismo may be in relation to the tremor felt in the NW of Tasmania on the 23rd. I could be wrong, but it may be that the Bass Strait region may be quietly niggling a little still.

I think the South East Indian Ridge quake [M6+] on the 24th March, may have indicated a pull from the Australian Plate with associated - by behaviour - with the quakes happening around the northern coasts of Australia [nearby countries].

I'm still a bit thin on focus with the EQ activity at the moment. Hopefully when my other distractions [all good] lessen, I can offer up some more of Duck's take-with-a-pinch-of-salt thoughts and perspectives. smile

For now, Duck.

#1459771 - 30/03/2018 13:24 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I was saying to my son yesterday that unfortunately there will be an 'Easter' quake on Friday - on or near PNG. Suspected this may occur because of the several quakes that came up in an arc north of the eastern top half of Oz and to the ENE of such. Felt like that location [PNG] was possibly in line for another release. Haven't researched any info on any damage on the M7+ yet and hope it hasn't caused nay issues.

Hopefully more from me over the weekend....cheers, Duck.

Happy Easter all smile

Edited by duckweather (30/03/2018 13:25)
Edit Reason: spelling again

#1461904 - 16/04/2018 19:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I have still been quite distracted with other things, but have observed the ping-ponging of energy or you could say there are many plate edges playing up at the moment. Many M5's or below are popping up all over the place, with the odd larger magnitude ones coming into the mix.
I get a feeling that an M6+ - maybe and M7+ - could come up in the Pacific or maybe anywhere between Turkey and the Himalayas/and-or China. I could be wrong of course.

The region around the Caribbean and maybe Haiti is slightly twigging my thoughts atm.. ??

We have had some very small door rattlers here, but nothing is coming up on Geoscience maps as relevant to Victoria. I get a wee bit of a feeling that Vic is in for a small [size..??] tremor soon. Iam suspecting that one or more of our local faults are very, very slightly 'moving' atm.. South Australia towards the SE may possibly come up with a tremor [M3+???] possibly. QLD may feel some faint rattles or perhaps a recordable small tremor on the east coast - maybe between Bundaberg and Townsville....???

In my mind's-eye I see an M6 or M6+ coming up in the Indian Ocean [centre or there abouts] in the near future.

Near White Island or along the Mariana Trench may [in my mind] may see an M6 at some point soon.

All of the above may be wrong and 'pinch-of-salt' folks.

For the moment, Duck. smile

#1462084 - 19/04/2018 10:41 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
teckert Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: NE suburbs, Adelaide, South Au...
2.7 reported felt NE of the Barossa this morning.

#1462094 - 19/04/2018 13:23 Re: Earthquakes [Re: teckert]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Yes teckert, Geoscience has reported that tremor as being felt. We are still getting very small rattles [evident by a closed door near me at about 11:45pm last night]. We may find that, apart from registered tremors, we may be feeling very small [almost undetectable by most] movements also across the general periphery [on land] of Australia. The earthquake activity regarding our main plate is substantial and ongoing. This keeps me feeling that there will be some more tremors around our continent as some of our faults give in to some pressures reverberated through and from the larger quakes.

It looks to me that there is a global irritation in the major plates, which is sending off energy into many fault lines in many countries. Even the oceans plates and some trenches - e.g. Atlantic and the Pacific [and I think the Indian again soon] are responding to this energy.

Some tremors have come up in the U.S. and far SE of Canada which are not 'regulars'. Nebraska, though not immune to quakes, had a tremor the other day. The regions involving California and all the way into near Yellowstone, Montana, Nevada and back towards Washington have been energised somewhat - particularly interesting the locations towards the northern parts [NW U.S.].
Canada [near the St Lawrence waterway 'fault' running west through to Lake Ontario] has had an M3 [if I remember the magnitude correctly].

In my last post, I thought Haiti may come up with a moderate quake, but one came up SE of there in neighbouring Antigua and Barbuda.

Near the Mariana Trench came up with a moderate quake, as I said it would.

If all of this current energy doesn't die down soon, we may see an M7 crop up some where if what is driving the energy still has some extra oomf in it.

Oz may feel some more small tremors and maybe an M4 sometime soon???

For now, Duck.

#1462193 - 20/04/2018 10:34 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Detroit, Michigan, has come up with an M3.6 [shallow]. The line from the east of Canada [where I chatted about the St. Lawrence waterway through to Lake Ontario] has, in my mind, followed through and past Lake Ontario. Ironically, yesterday when I was typing my other post, I was actually suspecting that exactly Detroit was going to feel a small tremor within 24 hours - and it has - but I didn't [yet again] note my thoughts here on that one. I have made that mistake a few times - silly me.
My eye gets drawn directly to some locations occasionally and either forget to note my thoughts or sometimes I don't want to feel like a twit if I am wrong smile

Anyway, Nebraska was also still on my 'radar' and has come up with another quake - M3.3. It is interesting that in a short space of time that some central states of the U.S. have been energized to throw up some decent small tremors.....

Australia is reacting [peripheries] as I suspected it would to nearby pressures. QLD, NSW and WA have all come up with coastal region tremors in the last 12 hours. Maybe another to come....

There are more tremors worth a mention - SW Indian Ocean, Pacific Islands and Japan....and I suspect Hawaii may come up with an M4 at some point....???

For now, Duck.

Extra - the location of the near Detroit tremor has been corrected to nearby Amherstburg, Canada - just south of Detroit city.

Edited by duckweather (20/04/2018 10:36)
Edit Reason: update with extra info

#1462352 - 21/04/2018 22:36 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Seina Offline

Loc: Adelaide Hills
Hi duckweather smile ,

An idea which might interest you is the Uplift Weathering Hypothesis. Having done some prior research, it points to a direct link to earthquake frequencies smile , among other effects.

#1462410 - 22/04/2018 21:51 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Seina]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Seira and all.

Yes that is a curiosity. I had to look it up, as I had never heard of it before. I found an interesting link which helped explain to me;
Uplift Weathering Hypothesis by Kenneth Wong

It seems the relationship between the quakes and the uplift theory involves perspectives on climate changes. It is an interesting hypothesis.

I also feel that volcanic activity on land and undersea, and possibly other earth behaviours can add to the equation of chemical [and subsequent physical] reactions to influence climate changes. EQ activity, I feel, may be one of those parts of the equation. Overall and generally, I feel that there is a definite connection and some complementary or interrelated occurrences between the Earth and the atmosphere and beyond, which can affect climate as well.

Ages ago, I wrote an amateur piece on what I titled "Causes and Consequences - in Earth Dynamics". IF I can retrieve it off a clapped out computer I have - I'll post it here. The thoughts in that piece related to the causes of EQ's and the consequences of such. Generally I nattered on about what I felt were precursors, causes of quakes and some of the consequences [as I thought they were] - such as not just the movements involved, but the emissions from rock forms [and behaviours or responses to energy input] and the sea. Included in the writing, I nattered on about gravity fluctuations, solar influences, volcanoes and other things in my limited knowledge smile
At the time, I showed it to a geologist friend of mine in the U.S. and he thought I had some interesting points [especially for an intuitive and not me being a scientist].

I find hypotheses, such as the one you have mentioned Seira, is always interesting to read and ponder. Thankyou for pointing it out. I learnt something new wink

The Earth and its dynamics will always interest me. My 'passion' for the observation of quakes, particularly, is the hope that one day that all EQ's can be accurately predicted and that this be a recognized 'science' in itself.

For now, Duck.

#1462449 - 23/04/2018 20:29 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Seina Offline

Loc: Adelaide Hills
One of the bigger contributing factors to earthquakes I think, would be that fact that ~ 70% of the Earth is covered by water. The movement of water on this planet is governed by fluid dynamics, therefore I'd say that would have to be part of any attempt to further get earthquake predictive science acknowledged as having merit.

#1462891 - 01/05/2018 09:44 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Seina]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Yep. I reckon you are right Seira. I too feel that water/sea potential pressures may have some sort of effect too on some quake activity. wink

As I felt would occur over the last week and now, the Australian continent [and in parts offshore] would respond to the EQ activity in the countries and seas around Australia. Nearly every state and territory [except Canberra?] have felt tremors. It does not surprise me that some of the tremors have come up off shore from our coastline.
I am waiting for Vic to come up with a recorded tremor soon.

With the 'ear' in the Pacific [around the Pacific islands] acting up still - with Vanuatu having just come up with a near M6 - relatively deep - my mind's eye see this location as somewhat of a pivotal point in the Pacific west.

The eastern side of the Pacific is cramming in some movements too along the west coasts of the U.S., Central America and South America.

I can't help but get a feeling that we may see an M7+ come up soon. Either in the mix of the constant activity or after a short 'lull'. But will see if this will occur.

The Indian Ocean is behaving [coming up with the odd quake] like I felt it would.

I also get a feeling that very unusual location will receive the impetus enough to come up with a tremor/EQ - where? I dunno yet.

Been a while, but for now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (01/05/2018 09:45)

#1462972 - 02/05/2018 19:57 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Mad Elf #1.5 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Hallen QLD
Interesting 5.5 tremors on Easter Island, that doesnt happen often, even Chile 4.8.
There is a report the geysers in Yellowstone North America are misbehaving. A heads up maybe?

#1463123 - 04/05/2018 20:34 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Mad Elf #1.5 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Hallen QLD
Just had a gander at live earthqakes map & after lots of shaking underground in Hawaii today, tremors are now above sealevel, doesnt look good for them.

Page 134 of 144 < 1 2 ... 132 133 134 135 136 ... 143 144 >

Who's Online
30 registered (petethemoskeet, TWEEDSTORM, Blowin', balmz, Red Watch, gecko, logansi, Steve777, Birdie, CuNimJim, mysteriousbrad, kizz, Mcbobbings, Sbv72, Bjelke, RC, StormQueen, DDstorm, ssimon, Funkyseefunkydo, Chookie, Moz, Night Rain, Sandstorm, ashestoashes, Neata, 4 invisible), 250 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Clayton
Forum Stats
29700 Members
32 Forums
24027 Topics
1506364 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image