Topic Options
#1458385 - 22/03/2018 11:42 Australia's wettest rain gauge.
ColdFront Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Burnett Heads
Some may have an interest in this article. I used to drive past this location often and often it was in the clouds.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-22/australias-wettest-rain-gauge/9568176

#1458404 - 22/03/2018 13:54 Re: Australia's wettest rain gauge. [Re: ColdFront]
wilyms Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Roma, Qld
Thatís a pretty cool job location

Question though, and happy for it to be called a dumb one, but should all that Ďmoisture collectioní from the clouds actually be called rainfall? Cause itís not actually falling....

#1458410 - 22/03/2018 14:59 Re: Australia's wettest rain gauge. [Re: wilyms]
ColdFront Offline

Originally Posted By: wilyms

Question though, and happy for it to be called a dumb one, but should all that Ďmoisture collectioní from the clouds actually be called rainfall? Cause itís not actually falling....

Yeah I kind of agree and thought the same but I guess if it makes it into the gauge it qualifies.

#1458417 - 22/03/2018 17:03 Re: Australia's wettest rain gauge. [Re: ColdFront]
Ronfishes Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gordonvale
Listened to it on the radio this morning CF, would like to do the trek one day, just not sure if I'd quite be up to it yet. I read somewhere that cloud stripping may actually result in under reading of 'rainfall' that leads to stream flows etc as usually a gauge is situated away from trees where this occurs and thus is not registered.

#1458418 - 22/03/2018 17:29 Re: Australia's wettest rain gauge. [Re: Ronfishes]
ColdFront Offline

Originally Posted By: Ronfishes
Listened to it on the radio this morning CF, would like to do the trek one day, just not sure if I'd quite be up to it yet. I read somewhere that cloud stripping may actually result in under reading of 'rainfall' that leads to stream flows etc as usually a gauge is situated away from trees where this occurs and thus is not registered.

Yeah the other point is howling winds blowing rain sideways up there probably reduce the catch also. I always wanted to see the view up there but it wasn't to be. Maybe when or if I move back to FNQ I'll get my chance.

#1458429 - 22/03/2018 18:48 Re: Australia's wettest rain gauge. [Re: wilyms]
scott12 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: maadi Tully area
Originally Posted By: wilyms

Yeah sure mate...great place to work.... crazy

One of my first jobs after leaving Uni in Sydney and moving to Nth Qld was on a property on the eastern slope Mt Bellenden Kerr ...the property was home to the last cable car tower on private property before it ascended the lofty heights of the mountaintop..

Me, being a Horticulture graduate, I thought the Heliconia and ginger flower and nursery farm would be a ripper of a place to work..

Little did I know that it was probably one of the most bug infested,seriously wet and inhospitable,most humid places probably on this this whole entire continent..

I thought I was pretty tough growing up on outback farms and playing a bit of college rugby but this place was madness...there was almost no flat ground and all the production areas were small bits of an odd creek flat but mostly all the sides of ridges where bits here and there had been cleared out of the always encroaching rainforest..

The bloke who owned the property and developed it, had,mostly by hand,he had no machinery at all,carved his property out of the rainforest and being a transplanted pommy,he had built himself a handmade stone mansion for his family,with all the stone sourced and hand moved/cut on the property....a truly herculean effort...the price for such an admirable endeavour though was Ross river fever and Dengue fever which, of course, recurred as he got older and more worn out...

I could only last 6 months there at the princely wage of $280 per 40 hour week..even despite an offer to get me a ride on the cablecar to the top....but I eventually did take his initial model and refine it and now make my living from a very similar business and ,although still in a rainforest setting,we live in a more humane environment...only about 4500mm of rain a year here at my place in the foothills of El Arish..... smile

#1458444 - 22/03/2018 20:48 Re: Australia's wettest rain gauge. [Re: ColdFront]
wilyms Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Roma, Qld
Haha - great story and insight there scott12 , thanks for sharing that!

#1458464 - 22/03/2018 23:01 Re: Australia's wettest rain gauge. [Re: ColdFront]
marakai Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Maryfarms NQ
Makes me think of Paronella Park built back in the 30's and still standing mostly. Them old School types had nothing but determination, time and effort to spend their day's on. Don't know if I envy them or not though, Ceiling Fans and Aircon, Electricity and Fridges, Kochie and friends in the morning and cold calls from Solar Panel company's..... compared to the knowledge that a simple cut on the hand could mean a painful slow death, childbirth being the leading cause of death for Women and news and Knowledge was slow and far between back in them day's.
Then again Kochie in the Morning....

#1458470 - 22/03/2018 23:56 Re: Australia's wettest rain gauge. [Re: ColdFront]
Homer Offline

Loc: Dural
Yes. Great tale Scott.
A good read.

And Cold Front. Thanks for posting the article. Fascinating stuff.

Edited by Homer (22/03/2018 23:57)

Who's Online
8 registered (Dr Philosophy, GringosRain, Lee@Hazo, Simon James, Pete R, Steve777, Aussea, 1 invisible), 354 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
anvildome, Davenn
Forum Stats
29604 Members
32 Forums
23930 Topics
1494249 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image