Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#1459651 - 29/03/2018 10:30 Re: Fishery Closures to boost fisheries potential & sustainability [Re: ifishcq]
ColdFront Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: The Beach.
I don't think they are the only ones buggering it up as some recs do the wrong thing, but I watched two boats pulling nets in the Burnett a couple of months ago and there was a lot of fish going in their boats. It cannot be good for the system.

#1459655 - 29/03/2018 11:49 Re: Fishery Closures to boost fisheries potential & sustainability [Re: ifishcq]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
Same in northern rivers nsw. Last year I spen a morning with the old man , took his tinnie down to the river to wet a line and catch up. We were 30km up river from the mouth , and along came the fisheries inspector , dragged us over to the ramp, spent an hour going through all our gear, licences etc, was way over the top , in the end it got heated cause they were hell bent on fining us for something although we were clean , meanwhile a commercial bloke goes passed trawling , we just shook our heads in disgust. Finished with fishing now , not worth it.

#1459720 - 30/03/2018 08:52 Re: Fishery Closures to boost fisheries potential & sustainability [Re: BIG T]
ifishcq Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Rockhampton
Originally Posted By: BIG T
Exactly, the pros are the ones buggering it up, not the old man taking grandson down the creek. After this wet season , the number of Barra will be rising soon enough.

The recreational guys stuff it equally as good.

#1459841 - 30/03/2018 20:57 Re: Fishery Closures to boost fisheries potential & sustainability [Re: ColdFront]
Ronfishes Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gordonvale
Originally Posted By: ColdFront
Get the pros out of the estuaries and no take within a couple of K's of the coast. That is where the damage is being done.

Absolutely, as I mentioned earlier, the net free zone has produced clear benefit for our fishery. The number of positive reports coming out the the inlet now is just fantastic. Don't have to be an economist to know which is better for our region.

MTD: 191.8mm

YTD: 2446mm

#1459849 - 30/03/2018 22:00 Re: Fishery Closures to boost fisheries potential & sustainability [Re: Ronfishes]
ColdFront Offline

Originally Posted By: Ronfishes
Get the pros out of the estuaries and no take within a couple of K's of the coast. That is where the damage is being done.

Absolutely, as I mentioned earlier, the net free zone has produced clear benefit for our fishery. The number of positive reports coming out the the inlet now is just fantastic. Don't have to be an economist to know which is better for our region.

Make the most of it mate. A changed of government will likely see it binned.

#1459921 - 31/03/2018 13:17 Re: Fishery Closures to boost fisheries potential & sustainability [Re: BIG T]
ifishcq Offline
Weather Freak

Originally Posted By: BIG T
Exactly, the pros are the ones buggering it up, not the old man taking grandson down the creek. After this wet season , the number of Barra will be rising soon enough.

Not in CQ area, with such low rainfall this season the barra looked doomed

#1459923 - 31/03/2018 13:36 Re: Fishery Closures to boost fisheries potential & sustainability [Re: ifishcq]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
Yeah , gotta get a good flush in the creeks, or it wonít happen. Missed out so far this season in your neck of the woods. Thems the breaks I guess.

#1459943 - 31/03/2018 16:08 Re: Fishery Closures to boost fisheries potential & sustainability [Re: ifishcq]
ifishcq Offline
Weather Freak

So despite the NFZ in this Rockhampton area itís done stuff-all for recreational fishing because there has not been enough rainfall to facilitate the recruitment of juvenile Barramundi. Therefore the adult stocks continue to fall due to the continually diminishing recreational catch, yet no new fish will be available in future seasons because of our ongoing drought now.

Thatís why I think there should be a total fishing ban and a radical restocking program undertaken.

Edited by ifishcq (31/03/2018 16:10)

#1460939 - 04/04/2018 19:47 Re: Fishery Closures to boost fisheries potential & sustainability [Re: ifishcq]
ColdFront Offline

Originally Posted By: ifishcq
So despite the NFZ in this Rockhampton area itís done stuff-all for recreational fishing because there has not been enough rainfall to facilitate the recruitment of juvenile Barramundi. Therefore the adult stocks continue to fall due to the continually diminishing recreational catch, yet no new fish will be available in future seasons because of our ongoing drought now.

Thatís why I think there should be a total fishing ban and a radical restocking program undertaken.

This guy doesn't agree. This FB chat was regarding netting by pros in the Fitzroy and the dramatic change since they have been kicked out. This post was made 2 days ago. He made the comments due to discussion about the Burnett regarding the pros . Obviously I have removed his ID.

I cannot see a single reason why he would lie about it. I checked his profile out and he is a recreational fisherman with a page full of shots similar to these.

#1460989 - 05/04/2018 10:44 Re: Fishery Closures to boost fisheries potential & sustainability [Re: ifishcq]
ifishcq Offline
Weather Freak

They normally lie about it because they are seeking sponsorship deals from Tackle Companies, and the more they can saturate social media with images of themselves holding fish (true or otherwise) the more likely they are to attract their attention and therefor gain sponsorship freebies and notoriety in those circles.

#1460990 - 05/04/2018 10:48 Re: Fishery Closures to boost fisheries potential & sustainability [Re: ifishcq]
Ronfishes Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gordonvale
Or.

They are catching more fish.

MTD: 191.8mm

YTD: 2446mm

#1460992 - 05/04/2018 11:01 Re: Fishery Closures to boost fisheries potential & sustainability [Re: ifishcq]
ifishcq Offline
Weather Freak

or they are part of the group responsible for lobbying to have the nets removed, but now have to pretend the fishing is better to justify their actions, and attempt to stop the nets coming back lol.

Either way, from my point of view, the fishing has never been worse than it is right now.

#1461008 - 05/04/2018 14:01 Re: Fishery Closures to boost fisheries potential & sustainability [Re: Ronfishes]
ColdFront Offline

Originally Posted By: Ronfishes
Or.

They are catching more fish.

Yep.

#1461129 - 07/04/2018 08:45 Re: Fishery Closures to boost fisheries potential & sustainability [Re: ifishcq]
ifishcq Offline
Weather Freak

I think weíre all forgetting the effect of weather, especially rainfall events greater than 100mm leading to steam flows during Jan-Mar which allow recently spawned juvenile Barra in to crucially important nursery grounds such as 12mile Ck near Bajool & Corio Wetlands etc. Its these types of areas adjacent to estuarine environments that link up during steam flow events that are the #1 precursor to future Barra numbers. It in the years since the NFZ s were introduced the poor wet seasons in the CQ area has been the major reason barramundi numbers in the Fitzroy R & surrounds are suppressed.

Strong wet seasons give strong recruitment, poor wets such as the one we just had in CQ will mean a huge reduction in Barra in the coming years.

#1461203 - 08/04/2018 12:06 Re: Fishery Closures to boost fisheries potential & sustainability [Re: ifishcq]
ColdFront Offline

Spoke to my mate Clint this morning that comes down from Rockhampton to stay on his block a few doors down once a month or so. Mentioned comments in this thread. He reckons he's been cleaning up in the Fitzroy since the netters were booted and also said that the Fitzroy due to the vastness of its tributary system is less affected by the need for rainfall replenishment for Barra than many other systems.

He showed me some photos on his phone from trips between Christmas and a few weeks back and he is doing very well in the catchment ,which supports comments made by that other lad I posted up above.

#1461471 - 11/04/2018 18:01 Re: Fishery Closures to boost fisheries potential & sustainability [Re: ifishcq]
EddyG Offline

Loc: Port Stephens NSW
I know this pic has nothing to do with closures, but for laughs, one with a fishing rod, one with a net and the other with a bait box (hidden).
Photo is heavily cropped.

https://www.instagram.com/eddygroot/

#1461473 - 11/04/2018 18:15 Re: Fishery Closures to boost fisheries potential & sustainability [Re: ifishcq]
ColdFront Offline

Shark food

#1461476 - 11/04/2018 19:02 Re: Fishery Closures to boost fisheries potential & sustainability [Re: ColdFront]
EddyG Offline

Loc: Port Stephens NSW
Shark food

Yep and there was a shark sighting earlier in the day too!!
https://www.instagram.com/eddygroot/

#1462231 - 20/04/2018 13:13 Re: Fishery Closures to boost fisheries potential & sustainability [Re: ifishcq]
ifishcq Offline
Weather Freak

#1462268 - 20/04/2018 19:35 Re: Fishery Closures to boost fisheries potential & sustainability [Re: ifishcq]
ColdFront Offline

Waste of funds. They should do fingerling release above the weir walls rather than waste money on a thousand fish in a catchment tributary feeding into a system as big as the Fitzroy. Especially when it is also stocked from other systems.
When I was engaged in fish stocking in the Peter Faust dam 24-25 years ago we release 100,000 fish at a time. When the rain eventually come they go over the wall in big numbers. The Fitzroy is replenished by various sources without worrying about the natural die back in billabongs that is par for the course in Qld's catchments and particularly along the Central Coast where rainfall is hit and miss They've even found dead crocs in dried out billabongs on the Cape. It's not that unusual and has been part of climate variability for thousands of years , yet the barra are still here. One dry Summer does not break a system, particularly one that is also supplied by fish from the Calliope and numerous large creeks near its mouth.

The dry conditions have done nothing to diminish the fishing in the river since the netters were removed in November 2015.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Who's Online
1 registered (Marts), 81 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Clayton
Forum Stats
29700 Members
32 Forums
24026 Topics
1506312 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image