Page 439 of 445 < 1 2 ... 437 438 439 440 441 ... 444 445 >
Topic Options
#1459034 - 25/03/2018 20:26 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
ThunderBob Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Sarsfield, East Gippsland, Vic
Hi Yowie. Others will have info about this but I think the August-Sept period is probably our windiest period in southern Vic also.

#1459215 - 26/03/2018 18:04 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
Petros Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Maffra, Central Gippsland, Vi...
My grandfather often said "beware the Ides of March and September".

#1459221 - 26/03/2018 18:26 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
Petros Offline

Once today's weather clears, not much adverse weather out there for Vic until end of Easter???

#1459586 - 28/03/2018 16:56 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
Dawoodman Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Thoopara; Prossie/ Bayswater
I have found that Vic goes through a change of seasons between summer and winter that gives us more wind and fronts. The autumn ones are a little wetter (broader systems) and give us the rain and the spring change seems to be quicker and sharper gives more storms.

#1459709 - 30/03/2018 00:16 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
aussiestormfreak Offline

Loc: Melbourne (Belgrave); Corryong...
Hey guys! Reporting from Corryong, Northeast Victoria for the Easter weekend. smile

My family and I left our home in Belgrave at approximately 3:15pm yesterday afternoon. At 4pm we reached Lilydale and exited the Melbourne metropolitan area, heading north through the Yarra Valley. After refueling in Yarra Glen around 15 minutes later we continued up the Melba Highway to Yea, facing heavy traffic for much of the way.

By 5pm we turned northwest along the Goulburn Valley Highway, reaching Seymour around 5:20pm. Shortly before 5:30pm, we were heading north along the M31 Hume Freeway (Melbourne-Sydney), stopping for dinner in Euroa between 6-6:30pm.

At 8pm we made it to Albury/Wodonga, where we stopped to refuel the car once more and also to buy groceries and have a drink and snack. It was nice to be able to cross the Murray River into NSW/ACT once again! smile

At around 9:20pm we travelled east along the Murray Valley Highway, arriving in Corryong at approximately 10:50pm this evening.

Weatherwise it was truly glorious autumn conditions yesterday. The early morning cloud over Melbourne gradually broke up and cleared as the day progressed, and by lunchtime it was warm and sunny with a cool breeze. The temperature in Belgrave ranged between 13.7C and 27.9C yesterday (my full stats for March 2018 will finally be posted in coming days).

By the time my family and I had left home for our weekend trip up north, the clouds had cleared off to the southeast, towards Gippsland. Otherwise it was clear skies with abundant sunshine, followed by a beautiful sunset between Benalla and Wangaratta, and a near-full moon and twinkling stars after nightfall from Chiltern and Barnawatha onwards. smile

However, it was very hazy and there were plenty of smoke plumes from autumn burn-offs/control burns, firstly in the Toolangi State Forest, and later out across the vast open Northern Plains from Nagambie right up into the NSW Riverina.

On the car thermometer, temperatures were around 23-25C through the Dandenong Ranges and Yarra Valley, but it quickly grew hotter as we headed north from Melbourne over the Great Dividing Range into the Murray-Darling Basin. By the time we reached Yea it was 28C, and just north of Seymour, in the Mangalore/Avenel region, it topped around 29-30C.

Heading north up the Hume as nightfall approached the temperature dropped very, very gradually. It was 28C in Euroa, 27C in Benalla, 26C in Wangaratta, and 25C at 8pm in Albury/Wodonga.

By the time we left the Border region at about 9:15pm it was 23C, and the temperature dropped more sharply (but with wild fluctuations) as we headed east to the Upper Murray. It was 20C at the Sandy Creek Inlet of Lake Hume, then ranged between 17-21C past Tallangatta all the way to the hills just east of Bullioh.

Up at Koetong and Shelley, it was around 14C. Then as we descended to Berringama, it bounced back up to 18C, but plunged to 12C in Lucyvale! eek

The remainder of the drive, from Cudgewa right through to Corryong, it was ranged between 15C and 17C.

Wangaratta and Albury/Wodonga were the hotspots yesterday, both topping around 32C. Melbourne ranged between around 17-21C, while Corryong's temperatures were between about 8C and 30C.

At the last check it was around 13C in nearby Khancoban, NSW. Very nice calling breeze this evening. Should dip to about 8C tonight and top 29C here in Corryong tomorrow, with patchy morning fog and smile haze but otherwise sunny. smile

I noted some lovely autumn colours in the Dandenong Ranges and Yarra Valley btw.

And according to Goulburn-Murray Water, Lake Hume is currently around 41% capacity.

Pity the vegetation looked parched and dry during the drive. Hopefully some good rains are on the way later this autumn and coming winter. frown

Looking forward to posting here on the forum again, especially up here in Corryong over the Easter weekend.

#1460192 - 01/04/2018 23:14 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
aussiestormfreak Offline

Hey guys! My post from Corryong, Northeast Victoria for the past few days, including today. smile

The weather here in the Upper Murray was virtually identical on Good Friday and yesterday. Chilly at night, warm to hot by day, light winds, glorious sunshine, cloudfree skies all around, with a full Blue Moon and some stunning sunsets as a bonus! grin

My family and I spent Good Friday afternoon about 75km to the north of Corryong, across the Murray River in Tumbarumba, not far west of the NSW Snowy Mountains. On the way there, the temperature peaked at around 29C in Towong and Tooma, dropping to a slightly cooler 26-27C at Tumbarumba, and to about 24C at nearby Mannus Lake and again at the rural locality of Maragle on the return journey, before climbing back to about 29C again in Tooma. smile

The temperature gradually cooled down as sunset approached, and it stayed fairly pleasant for much of the evening in town, although the airport and surrounding valley lower down (towards Corryong Creek and Mount Mittamatite) were noticeably chilly when I went for a bike ride later that night.

According to the BOM, lows ranged around 8C in Corryong and nearby Khancoban, dropping to 7C at Tumbarumba, and 13C up at Cabramurra. Highs averaged around 28C, while Cabramurra reached about 20C. To the west, Hunters Hill ranged between 14C and 23C.

And as stated before, yesterday (Easter Saturday) was virtually identical! A great day for being outside and for taking a dip at the Corryong swimming pool, which has solar heating!! =D

The only slight difference was plumes of smoke billowing from CFA autumn control burn-offs in the bushland and pine forests near Shelley to the west. Thanks to light northwesterly winds ahead of the current frontal system sweeping across Victoria, the smoke didn't end up drifting into the Corryong township, but it made for a beautiful sunset over the Burrowa-Pine Mountain National Park near Cudgewa. smile

No BOM temperature readings were available from Corryong Airport yesterday, but Khancoban ranged between 7.7C and 28.0C.

And as for today (Easter Sunday/April Fools Day), the weather was the complete opposite to that of the previous few days, no thanks to the passing cold front I mentioned earlier. Following another chilly night, it was warm and sunny right through to about mid-afternoon, with light winds; mid-level and high-level cloud increased during the day, bringing the hint of rain. Plus it was rather hazy, humid and unstable! Alas we had no precipitation or storm activity. The only thing worth mentioning was a very short-lived but stunning pink sunset. smile

Temperatures ranged between about 8C and 26C out at Khancoban today btw.

It was just warm enough to take a late-afternoon dip at the swimming pool. The cloudcover has kept conditions in town fairly mild so far this evening, minus a slight cool breeze. The chill is more noticeable down the hill at the airport and surrounding valley though. At the last check it was around 15C at Khancoban. smile

Judging by the satellite imagery, the frontal cloud band should clear eastwards into NSW/ACT the Tasman Sea/South Pacific Ocean overnight and early tomorrow morning, allowing clear skies to return to the Upper Murray. Corryong's forecast to drop to 9C tonight and climb to 29C tomorrow. smile

Not a great deal of autumn colours here in the Upper Murray, it's very patchy atm. Lots of deciduous trees are still full of green leaves, or else starting to change their colours but more as a result of persistent hot, dry weather during February and March rather than the first frosts or cold spells of the season. A few trees in Tumbarumba are definitely undergoing a very dramatic colour change though! smile

#1460194 - 01/04/2018 23:23 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
aussiestormfreak Offline

And my stats for March 2018 for Belgrave, right up until I left for Corryong for Easter:

March 1st 2018
Rain: TRACE Low: 14.3C High: 24.3C

March 2nd 2018
Rain: 0mm Low: 13.2C High: 29.4C

March 3rd 2018
Rain: 0mm Low: 13.2C High: 38.0C

March 4th 2018
Rain: 0mm Low: 13.6C High: 27.0C

March 5th 2018
Rain: 0mm Low: 9.5C High: 24.2C

March 6th 2018
Rain: 0mm Low: 10.0C High: 30.7C

March 7th 2018
Rain: 0mm Low: 11.9C High: 34.9C

March 8th 2018
Rain: 0mm Low: 13.2C High: 35.8C

March 9th 2018
Rain: 0mm Low: 13.1C High: 37.4C

March 10th 2018
Rain: 0mm Low: 13.5C High: 40.8C

March 11th 2018
Rain: 0mm Low: 19.6C High: 30.6C

March 12th 2018
Rain: 0mm Low: 14.2C High: 22.3C

March 13th 2018
Rain: TRACE Low: 12.5C High: 25.6C

March 14th 2018
Rain: 0mm Low: 11.5C High: 28.4C

March 15th 2018
Rain: 0mm Low: 11.5C High: 24.8C

March 16th 2018
Rain: 0mm Low: 10.5C High: 31.8C

March 17th 2018
Rain: TRACE Low: 19.4C High: 34.5C

March 18th 2018
Rain: TRACE Low: 20.3C High: 29.1C

March 19th 2018
Rain: 1mm Low: 12.9C High: 30.9C

March 20th 2018
Rain: 2.1mm Low: 12.6C High: 18.8C

March 21st 2018
Rain: 0mm Low: 11.9C High: 24.3C

March 22nd 2018
Rain: 0mm Low: 11.6C High: 30.4C

March 23rd 2018
Rain: 0mm Low: 17.2C High: 34.6C

March 24th 2018
Rain: TRACE Low: 20.2C High: 23.4C

March 25th 2018
Rain: 17.9mm Low: 16.8C High: 26.7C

March 26th 2018
Rain: 8.5mm Low: 8.2C High: 20.6C

March 27th 2018
Rain: 4.2mm Low: 8.3C High: 23.1C

March 28th 2018
Rain: 0mm Low: 17.5C High: 34.2C

March 29th 2018
Rain: 1mm Low: 13.7C High: 27.9C

Overall, March 2018 was a more autumnal continuation of the useless, boring weather that dominated February 2018. For the most part it was cool to mild at night and, aside from a few brief colder spells, warm to hot by day. It was also quite windy and stormy at times, and thankfully we had over thirty times more rain compared to the previous month!

The cold front that swept through early on Sunday March 18th was accompanied by cloudy and very squally conditions with fast-moving, locally heavy showers and even the odd thunderstorm; we had a few short, sharp downpours and distant spits of thunder as a line of storms flared up nearby around 10-11am. Aside from a few brief showers, the afternoon was sunnier but still very windy with raised dust. The day before the front raced through, Saturday March 17th, was hot and muggy with increasing cloud, freshening northerly winds and light rain showers during the evening. The temperature stayed above 26C for much of the night by the way.

A few bursts of overnight/morning showers on Monday March 19th and again on Tuesday March 20th brought an end to four-straight weeks of no measureable rainfall! The 18.8C maximum on the Tuesday was not only my coldest day for 2018 so far, but it was also my first maximum below 20C for the year and also since December 4th last year when the temperature peaked at only 16.8C.

Much more useful rain FINALLY arrived on Saturday March 24th, as the stagnant high pressure gave way to the first major winter storm event for Southern Australia since January! The rain began around 9am as a few brief heavy showers, followed at around 10:30am by the main rainband and associated thunderstorm activity as a low pressure trough moved in. We had 3 or 4 spits of thunder at about 11am, and the rain was quite heavy at times, with a peak rainfall rate of 14mm/hr. The rain cleared after 2pm, and the afternoon was mild, muggy and mostly sunny with gusty winds.

Showers and thunderstorms, locally severe, returned to during the evening on Saturday March 24th. A fast-moving line of storms stretching from Melbournes northern suburbs to the Murray River grazed past not far to our north shortly after 9pm, with a rather intense cell on the lines southern end over the Yarra Valley lighting up the skies with spectacular lightning (on average once or twice a minute, mostly sheet flashes or CCs but with the occasional, dangerous CG lightning strike as well) for a good half-an-hour or so! I didnt hear any thunder, as the storm was too far away. Further heavy shower and thunderstorm activity occurred on-and-off during the night, and it was also very windy.

The trough cleared off early in the morning on Sunday March 25th, giving way to blustery conditions. Skies were mostly clear until lunchtime when the first of two intense cold fronts swept into Melbourne. The front hit Belgrave at approximately 1pm, accompanied by cloudy conditions, squalls and a sharp temperature drop from about 24C to 19C that lasted, amazingly, only about an hour! Heavy showers and possible thunderstorms were also present with this wind change, but these occurred well to the south; all the Belgrave area received was a few brief light/moderate showers on the frontal boundarys northern tail.

As stated above, the temperature drop associated with the cold front at lunchtime on Saturday March 25th only lasted about an hour. While it was still very blustery, the afternoon was mostly sunny and quite warm as winds turned back from southwesterly to northwesterly. The second, even stronger cold front burst across metropolitan Melbourne around dinnertime, bringing a vigorous, squally wind change and a band of heavy rain that persisted for several hours. Colder, unstable southwesterly flow behind this frontal system generated further windy conditions with widespread heavy showers and local thunderstorms with possible hail and alpine snow on Monday March 26th.

The 8.2C overnight low on Monday March 26th currently ties with February 1st for my coldest minimum for the year. My record minimum for March is 7.3C on March 31st 2017 by the way.

The remnants of Severe Tropical Cyclone Marcus from the Northern Territory and Western Australia moved overhead late on Tuesday March 27th and early on Wednesday March 28th, bringing nothing more than moderate to fresh breezes and cloudy conditions, but no rain or storm activity. Light showers and drizzle occurred early in the morning on Thursday March 29th as a weak cold front brushed by to the south. Otherwise, once the morning cloud burned off it was a warm and mostly sunny day.

#1460237 - 02/04/2018 09:16 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
Petros Offline

An excellent March wrap there ASF.

Calm mild and mostly sunny morning here, great conditions for Maffra Tennis and Golf Tournaments currently underway.

#1460421 - 02/04/2018 20:04 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
doogasnow Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: traf/moe south 410m asl/west &...
Just back from a first trip away to Bali!
Very impressed with the place so it won't
Be the last trip that's for sure👍

I've heard we had some fairly cold weather
Whilst I was away with even some snow
On Baw Baw lol glad i was away and didn't
Have to light fire!
Also came back home to find a very nice 30mm
To empty out of the gauge which was much
Much needed as I was about to purchase
Water if we didn't receive rain whilst away!
And a green tinge through all the paddock
Around here 😃

#1460617 - 03/04/2018 12:00 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
chasers addict Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bendigo/ Kangaroo Flat, Vic Ra...
Rainfall Difference from 2015 to 2018 for Jan to March is worst than past 3 years.

Jan 104mm
Feb 15mm
March 3mm
Total 122mm

Jan 22.5mm
Feb 0mm
March 43mm
Total 65.5mm

Jan 36.5mm
Feb 29mm
March 33.5
Total 99mm

Jan 20.5mm
Feb 5.2mm
March 11mm
Total 36.7mm

#1460726 - 03/04/2018 18:04 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
Petros Offline

Yep, all primed for a record late season fire event CA.

#1460728 - 03/04/2018 18:06 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
Petros Offline

Sunny calm 25C here today.

#1460885 - 04/04/2018 14:10 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
aussiestormfreak Offline

Thanks Petros! smile

I'm back home in Belgrave, having returned to Melbourne from Corryong, Northeast Victoria last night. Here's my report for the past 48 hours.

Easter Monday was again splendid across the Upper Murray. The cold front and associated cloudband cleared eastwards early in the morning. Aside from another chilly night, possible light misty fog at sunrise, smoke haze from ongoing autumn control-burnoff operations (especially out at Shelley), and a rather gusty westerly/southwesterly wind that lasted well into the afternoon, it was a gloriously fine, mild to warm and mostly sunny day, with a beautiful sunset and moonrise to follow. smile

No BOM data is currently available from the Corryong Airport, but nearby Khancoban, NSW ranged between 9.3C and 28.9C on Monday.

And as for yesterday (Tuesday April 3rd 2018)...

My family and I departed Corryong for Melbourne around 11:45am. Our first stop was a 30-minute lunch at Tallangatta an hour later.

Rather than our usual route home from Corryong through Tallangatta to Melbourne via Tangambalanga/Kiewa, Yackandandah, Beechworth, Wangaratta, Benalla, Lake Nillahcootie, Maindample, Bonnie Doon, Yea, the Yarra Valley and Dandenong Ranges, we decided to go and pay a visit to some relatives out at Cobram/Barooga.

Leaving Tallangatta at roughly 1:15pm, we reached Albury/Wodonga approximately half-an-hour later to refuel the car. Shortly before 2pm we headed westbound on the M31 Hume Freeway (Melbourne-Sydney); about 10-15 minutes later we exited the Hume at Barnawartha North and continued along the Murray Valley Highway through Rutherglen, Bundalong and Yarrawonga/Mulwala, arriving in Cobram/Barooga at about 3:15pm.

Following a pleasant couple of hours spend with our relatives, including a walk along the Murray River at Thomsons Beach, we continued on our homeward journey at about 5:10pm. We travelled south across the irrigation areas south of the Murray to Katamatite and then southwest to Shepparton, arriving just before 6pm for dinner.

At about 6:45pm we departed Shepparton and drove southbound along the M39 Goulburn Valley Freeway (Melbourne-Brisbane), reaching Seymour at about 7:30pm and then Yea a little after 8pm, where we headed south to the Yarra Valley and Melbourne along the Melba Highway. We re-entered the Melbourne metropolitan area in Lilydale at about 9pm, and just before 9:30pm we arrived back home in Belgrave.

Weatherwise, it was absolutely splendid conditions all day long! grin

Another chilly night in the Upper Murray gave way to yet another gloriously fine, mild to warm and mostly sunny day with light winds across Northern Victoria and neighbouring parts of Southern NSW. It was very hazy though, with burn-offs in every direction and thick, dirty smoke hanging heavily in the air, especially out on the vast open plains on either side of the Murray River.

Temperatures climbed to around 27C around Corryong, dropping to about 22C up at Shelley and Koetong to the west of the Upper Murray. The temperature rose back to 26-27C at Tallangatta, and peaked at about 28C just west of Albury/Wodonga.

As we headed west along the Murray Valley Highway from the Border region the temperature hovered more or less around 27-28C, and stayed around that mark during our time in Cobram/Barooga.

The temperature started to fall as we left Cobram/Barooga and headed south to Melbourne. At Katamatite it was roughly 26C, and by the time we entered the city limits of Shepparton from the north it was about 24C, with a beautiful sunset over the confluence of the Broken and Goulburn Rivers! smile

As we were preparing to leave Shepparton it was around 22C, getting down to 18C in Seymour and 15C in Yea.

Travelling south on the Melba Highway through Murrindindi and Glenburn towards Melbourne (the moon began to rise as drove through the Yea Valley btw), the temperature ranged between 13-15C, but then it fell to 11C at Castella (between Kinglake and Toolangi) and averaged around 11-12C the rest of the way back to home to Belgrave, peaking at 13C in Lilydale and Mount Evelyn and dipping to 10C in Kallista.

And as a bit of a surprise treat, there was misty fog in Yarra Glen! crazy

And as for today here in Belgrave...

Overnight low of 9.5C, currently around 27C and sunny but hazy.

#1460994 - 05/04/2018 11:47 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
Petros Offline

Fine sunny and warm here. Smokey haze about the ranges.

#1461030 - 05/04/2018 17:11 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
Petros Offline

...another day to add to a string of mid 20C weather.

Nice if you have time off work, not nice if you are trying to run an agricultural business.

#1461307 - 09/04/2018 18:03 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
Petros Offline

The string of warm dry days continues, 28C today (31.5C yest), only difference was the arrival of a summer-like cool seabreeze here late arvo...

#1461372 - 10/04/2018 13:34 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
yep Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Hobart
April record for Victoria - 38.3c at Mildura, up from 37.8c at Mildura in 1986

#1461373 - 10/04/2018 14:09 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
chasers addict Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Bendigo/ Kangaroo Flat, Vic Ra...
Also not hot here due rubbish cirrus clouds blocking sun and clear in North as only 27c at 2pm

#1461394 - 10/04/2018 18:32 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
Petros Offline

Easterly kept us to 27.5 C here today.

#1461404 - 10/04/2018 21:58 Re: Melbourne & Victoria day to day weather [Re: Thunder head]
Ruckle Offline

Loc: Woodend VIC 579m ASL - where w...
One clap of thunder reported at home and about 20 muddy rain drops.

Page 439 of 445 < 1 2 ... 437 438 439 440 441 ... 444 445 >

Who's Online
7 registered (Ahab, snoopydoo, Purnong, LonnyDave, StormQueen, Sidney, scott12), 94 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Chris #3, Cloudwatcher, dave-tsv, GuyH, Joshg, Prettybub, s016230, Sprouts
Forum Stats
29700 Members
32 Forums
24005 Topics
1502899 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image