Page 133 of 134 < 1 2 ... 131 132 133 134 >
Topic Options
#1450200 - 26/01/2018 10:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
NotsohopefulPete Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Toowoomba
From Just a reader of your posts, sad to hear about your illness and hope you get well.

Edited by NotsohopefulPete (26/01/2018 10:39)

#1450208 - 26/01/2018 11:20 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
ozone doug Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Roma SW QLD Eye to the West...
Get well soon Duck.

#1450599 - 28/01/2018 16:35 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
Get well soon Duck!
Just got back from no-tech holiday to find the Macksville earthquake swarm. The tremors are roughly aligned with the uplifted area of the "Waterfall Way", which is a volcanic plateau, which is then deeply incised by rivers, which cut through deeper sedimentary rocks. The area has had occasional significant tremors since recording started, but nothing like this swarm. The swarm is quite interesting, as though there appears to be a general 'alignment' of tremors, there is not an apparent temporal (Time based) sequence of tremors in the 2D space.
Generally speaking, it appears quite a good thing that this is a 'swarm' event, as a sudden release of that amount of energy could have been quite a significant singular event. As it is, I would be very concerned for the stability of the very steep crumbly hillslopes in this area during the next major rain event - there may be a significant mass wasting / landslide risk for roads, railways atc.
I am just going off to see if I can interrogate the GA website for depths vs time, to see if that adds any value.

#1450603 - 28/01/2018 16:51 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Sadly, the depths are '0', and a couple of '10' (default) so nothing there, yet. I expect GSA will be having a long, hard look at this swarm, and perhaps revising the depths. There is no mention of a surface fault becoming evident in the news.

#1450604 - 28/01/2018 17:03 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

From a 1910 report in "Trove'...EARTHQUAKE SHOCKS IN N.S.W.
ACCOMPANIED BY SUBTER-
RANEAN RUMBLINGS.
Sydney, Tuesday.
A slight earthquake tremor was dis-
tinctly felt at Macksville about 11.15
on Saturday night, accompanied by
subterranean rumblings, which were
plainly heard by the residents.
An earthquake shock was felt
throughout the Macleay district on Sat-
urday. It travelled from seawards
inwards, east to west. It was most
pronounced near the coast.
For several nights before the shock
brilliant lightning was seen.
The river steamer Olga, which leaves
Kempsey late at night, distinctly felt
the shock between Gladstone and
Smithtown.
At Jerseyville, close to the sea
coast, orockery tumbled from the
shelves.
It is about 20 years since a similar
shock was experienced in the Kempsey
district.
A fissure appeared at the rear of a
residence at West Kempsey on Satur-
day.

And also records from 1870, in "Historical Earthquakes in NSW : a Revised List - Kevin McCue, Australian Seismological Centre, Canberra ACT"
April and June 1870, Swarm in North-eastern NSW
1870 04 10 at 11:20 UTC, Lower Macleay
The Maitland Mercury and Hunter River General Advertiser of Thursday 28 April 1870 page 3:
Shock of Earthquake at Macleay River Heads. —On the night of last Sunday, at twenty
minutes past nine, a smart shock of an earthquake was experienced at the pilot station,
at the heads of this river. The vibration was sufficiently great to cause the crockery to
rattle on the shelves, and to stop a clock. A shock was also felt on Tuesday, the 5th
instant, but it was of so slight a character that it was doubted whether it was a
shock. The one on Sunday night, however, gave such distinct proof, that there can be
no doubt as to its having been the shock of an earthquake.—S M. Herald, April 25.
This event seems to have spawned a swarm of small earthquakes in the region.
1870 04 18 at 08:00 UTC, Lower Macleay
Evening News Tuesday 3 May 1870, page 3.
Shock of an Earthquake on the Lower Macleay.
(From the Correspondent of the Macleay Herald.)
We have had another shock of an earthquake here. This makes the third one this
month— viz., one on the 5th, another on the 10th, and the last on Monday the 18th, at
about 6 p.m. The second one was felt at Warrell and Freshwater creeks and at Gumma
Gumma. I have not heard how far this one has been felt from here. The shock came
from the S.E., and there was a great deal of thunder and lightning at the time. The
earthquake has raised a very heavy sea. I cannot account for the heavy sea now rolling
in in any other way. On Sunday night, previous to the shock, the sea was smooth, but on
Monday morning, although Sunday night was very calm and fine, there was an unusually
heavy sea.
[Published www.aees.org.au] [December 2014, First Posting June 2012] [Kevin McCue ASC Canberra]
Since writing the above I hear that the shock on Monday was felt on the Nambuccra and
Deep Creek. This morning, Friday, April 22, at a little before 6 a. m., just as it was getting
daylight, we had two more shocks— one was pretty sharp, the other faint. They seemed
to come from the S.W. The Messrs. Oakes who were down the river at the time felt the
shock very plainly. The shock was also felt at Mr. Stewart's ship-building yard, the men
running out of the house, imagining from the vibration and noise that one of the vessels
had fallen off the ways.
It was reported felt at Long Flat in the Empire Thursday 12 May 1870, page 3.

#1450678 - 29/01/2018 09:31 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Been doing a bit of reading around. The current earthquake swarm is located at the southern end of the pre-historic 'Demon Fault', which can be easily seen on satellite imagery of NSW running north-south from the Queensland Border to the eastern edge of the Carrai Plateau. Lietrature suggests the Demon Fault, when operating, shifted up to 30 KM longitudinally. The article I found suggest that the fault has many splits and deviations at the southern end. Whether the current alignment of the earthquake swarm simply intersects, or is part of that fault is unclear. Reference below.

http://nrgeology.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/its-demon-of-fault.html

and

http://nrgeology.blogspot.com.au/

Edited by perrywinkle (29/01/2018 09:40)

#1450681 - 29/01/2018 10:17 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
KevD Offline
Occasional Visitor

Loc: Bellingen NSW 2454
Some great information in there Perrywinkle, thanks for sharing. Has not been much info about why they occured so appreciate all that you have come up with. They seem to have died off again since last week, generated some decent local discussion at the time!

#1450728 - 29/01/2018 15:22 Re: Earthquakes [Re: KevD]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Was hoping Geoscience's return to work today might net some more tremors. I find the sudden cessation of activity somewhat odd... is something building up, or are the stresses relieved for now?

#1451353 - 02/02/2018 20:13 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi folks.

Thankyou those of you who offered kind wishes for this old chook to get back on track with her health. I am getting there, but not too in tune with what's going on with the EQ happenings. So, it is great to see perrywinkle and other folks carrying on with great chatter about the EQ happenings. I will gradually add more posts over time as my brain cells decide to continue to join forces to come up with some hopefully interesting, informative or contributive posts.

With some catching up to do, for now Duck wink

#1451543 - 04/02/2018 17:40 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
batty Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Finch Hatton Gorge
WB Duck..... cool

#1451670 - 05/02/2018 13:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: batty]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Thankyou batty. I'm gradually getting back into observing the energies popping up around the globe. Soon I may actually post a half decent post smile

For now though, Alaska has come up with the tremor activity I was anticipating some time ago in a past post.

Victoria [Oz] came up with the tremors I was also anticipating. Other parts of Oz, including offshore QLD, are still feeling the effects of energy from the Pacific and to the south of Oz.

The west coast of the U.S. has had a good run on tremors onland and offshore. But the biggy [there or elsewhere] has not eventuated [touch wood] as was anticipated by some folks. Personally, regarding such anticipation for the past timeframe [anticipated larger quake behaviour] I didn't think such was going to happen. Let's hope that the large quakes anticipated don't occur in the near future - a sort of delayed action in the large EQ activity.

Anyway, for now Duck wink

#1451744 - 06/02/2018 12:53 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wynnum SE Brisbane
Sounds like end feb to early march is the time the big ones are expected
Casscadia is a worry but also inevitable at some stage

#1451762 - 06/02/2018 17:21 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
cascadia better stay mellow for another couple for years , as im heading over there for three weeks next june. when was hoogerbeats calling for a biggun?

#1451772 - 06/02/2018 19:45 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wynnum SE Brisbane
Bout 28th feb to 5th march
Recons alignments are same at 1960 EQ etc which were sll above 9.0
Except there will be 4 alignments. .almost un heard of
Hes saying posdible 9.o and above or a couplw of over 7.8s

#1451806 - 07/02/2018 08:02 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

The have been a couple of tremors in Gunning, north of Canberrra, after a long hiatus. This may be the start of another swarm - as is a habit of that area located along the Cullarin Horst - the great fault line that formed Lake George. In the past there have been quite significant quakes in the area. This is the area involved in the 1984 Oolong earthquake - M4, which was shallow and caused significant damage to local churches and buildings. "Extreme-value analysis of the hundred years of earthquake data yields magnitudes of 3.3, 4.6 and 5.8 for the I, 10 and 100 year return periods in the region. These data are extrapolated to compute a return period of 120 years for a large, potentially damaging, earthquake of magnitude 6.0 or greater." (McCue et al 1989). Given the proximity to northern Canberra, and particularly to the huge Lake George windfarms, there is potential for things to get interesting if the tremors are a prequel.

#1452170 - 11/02/2018 12:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

My interest/observation range in quakes/tremors is currently generally focused on Australia. I am aware of the energy being driven through the lower Indian Ocean, Atlantic Ridge. Western Pacific [a rather hotbed of activity atm.], Central America, Alaska [which has been in my radar for some time now and is behaving as I suspected it would], the west coast of the U.S. [may come up with an offshore tremor of M3++], North Pole quake recently and the eastern side of the U.S. has been sneaking in some niggles around the border with Canada.

So.....Victoria is definitely behaving as I suspected it would. My thought is that Tasmania's tremors and Victoria's tremors are generally and maybe related by energy source.

Australia, generally speaking, is being fed spurts of energy causing tremors in mostly 'typical' locations, but has come up with some locations which are not regulars on the register of tremors. This tells me that there is and has been energy lurking or being pushed into a couple of locations which don't 'normally' show up with tremors.

Check out the last 30 days of registered tremors in Australia - Geoscience registers of tremors This list shows there have been a run on tremors for locations in WA and NSW. For the month, every state and territory has had quakes/tremors, which I find interesting. I think eventually Australia, somewhere, may come up with an M4+ when a location may be jiggled enough with the ongoing irritations in Oz to throw up a good shake. Time will tell.

So, for the moment, and until I can expand on my posts to make them more interesting smile , Duck.

#1452261 - 11/02/2018 23:42 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Broome, the Hunter Valley and mid-north coast, and the area around Gladstone are conspicuously absent from recent activity, and Macksville seemed to stop as suddenly as it started. As Duck says, more to come.

#1453162 - 17/02/2018 12:44 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

M 7.3 on Mexico coast, SE of Acapulco. Someone was predicting a quake soon in the Gulf of Mexico quite recently...just can't find it.

#1453163 - 17/02/2018 12:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wollongong, NSW, Aus
Originally Posted By: perrywinkle
M 7.3 on Mexico coast, SE of Acapulco. Someone was predicting a quake soon in the Gulf of Mexico quite recently...just can't find it.

Tsunamis?

#1453528 - 20/02/2018 10:00 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Kino]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks finally.

Re;
Quote:
Someone was predicting a quake soon in the Gulf of Mexico quite recently...just can't find it.
I don't know who that was [predicting such], but a while back I mentioned that I thought that the Gulf of California may come into some EQ activity. Obviously the Gulf of California is different to the Gulf of Mexico wink

Looking at the very recent history/behaviour of the Pacific, it did not surprise me that following on from all of the concerted activity in the west of the Pacific, that the eastern side may rev up with activity too. A long time ago, I said that when the west acts up - look also to the east. Alternatively, when the east plays up - look to the west. On another angle, when there are big quakes on one face of the planet - look to the opposite side of the planet for potential mirroring quakes too. **Remember folks - these are just my opinions and are to taken with that proverbial pinch-of-salt.

The United Kingdom had a fairly rare M4+ recently. Iceland has had one too. This tells me that there is energy stealthily lurking in various places all along the length of the Atlantic Ridge. The ocean south of Africa has been coming up with the odd quake too.

Fairly quiet, for some time - barring the odd quake - is the Indian Ocean and up into the Arabian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman and surrounding waterways.

With all of the activity in the Pacific and possibly some sneaky energy coming up from the Southern Ocean, Bass Strait?, Tasman Sea? etc., Australia will continue to come up with tremors. Victoria has had a few near M3's recently offshore, with the ones on land have been smaller in magnitude. At sea - interesting ones.....

Anyway for now, Duck... smile

Page 133 of 134 < 1 2 ... 131 132 133 134 >

Who's Online
5 registered (Rhys., ashestoashes, Stormy3, 2 invisible), 347 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
araT, danz, kimsmith, Tara, Welshmun
Forum Stats
29544 Members
32 Forums
23883 Topics
1489499 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image