Page 67 of 144 < 1 2 ... 65 66 67 68 69 ... 143 144 >
Topic Options
#1260014 - 15/04/2014 15:23 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Ken Kato]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi Ken.

I can't find, for the moment, any info on the potential for this quake to have produced water disturbances. It was fairly shallow, so one can only guess that it could have some impact on currents and water surface behaviour. There is a volcano about 250 (?) kms from this site, and I am also guessing that we may see some more quakes to the west (maybe near the South Sandwich Islands) and out to the east (maybe towards an/or up slightly) into the Indian Ocean. This may be either towards the SE of Africa (at sea), Madagascar or Heard Island...not sure...will wait and see.

The planet in a few locations has reeled from some very substantial quakes in recent times. I actually don't think we have seen the end of these larger quakes in the short term...but I may be wrong.
Maybe some of the energy could move north up the Atlantic too...?

For the moment,
Duck.

#1260042 - 15/04/2014 18:05 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Watch the moon eclipse live in link below -
Halfway down the page - Griffith Observatory Livestream - HERE

Edited by duckweather (15/04/2014 18:07)
Edit Reason: fix error

#1260132 - 16/04/2014 13:26 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I was captivated by the blood moon last night. Not using my tripod this time - this was the best shot I got last night. I hope you don't mind me putting it in this EQ thread smile

Anyway folks, on the EQ front, there was an uptick of tremors/EQ's in the western Pacific - Japan, The Marianna's and Indonesia. The Fiji region and the Solomon's are still active.
Another region, similar to the Solomons', which is still quite constantly active is the Chile region - in the general location of their recent major quake.
The movement/EQ behaviour in the Chile region and the Solomons' is very similar in number of quakes, particular location and plate/s involvements.

There have been some very 'quiet' moments in time over the last 12'ish hours, where there appears to be no EQ's or tremors for even up to an hour on some occasions. Sometimes when I see a lull (and don't get me wrong, it's good to see communities not getting belted with EQ's), it's like Mother Earth is resting, only to get ready again after taking a breath, to activate energy and movements in several regions again. As I have said in the past, the Earth is not a static entity and we can always expect small to medium sized movements to be occurring here and there across the planet on any given day.

For the moment, as I need to trot off and do some work, I am feeling the west coast of the U.S., near Eureka again may come up with a tremor (M3+??).
There are some other regions I'll natter on about later.

Duck.

#1260144 - 16/04/2014 16:46 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
Great photo - I took my boys and their friends out for a viewing, so it did the Sydney thing and rained... Not earthquakes, but hey, its pretty memorable.

However, there are a few reports of lunar eclipses contributing to significant earthquake activity (including biblically), so perhaps it does belong here!

#1260164 - 16/04/2014 20:22 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Cheers perrywinkle.

The photo is not as clear as I would have liked, but it came up quite well with the foliage in the foreground/side to make it look like the moon was being hugged smile

As you say, there a some folks who feel that blood moons, full moons and other lunar and solar happenings can affect the earthquake activity on Earth. I can't get my head around all of the study of this connection, figures, equations and the amount of work they do to correlate the connections - I'm glad others can offer their insight into all of the potential connections on Earth's magnetic fields, magma movements etc..

Some don't believe in the potential of earthquake and the above-mentioned connections, but I never discount such a possibility and generally feel that most, if not many, things in nature are connected by varying degrees.

On the EQ front, the Caribbean general region is showing several closely timed tremors/quakes in the last couple of hours. Sometimes, when I see closely 'timed' tremors within kilometers (even around a few hundred or so) of each other, I feel there may be a possibility of a larger tremor (M4 or M4+) to pop up in the mix. But this is also combined with the knowledge of how this region has behaved recently (EQ wise).

I mentioned in a previous post that I felt the SW of the Indian Ocean;west of the South of Africa - maybe the South Sandwich Islands; Madagascar and so on, may come up with EQ's after the larger quake below the south coast of South Africa...but so far I have been wrong....

Turkey is another region which may come up with an M4(+), maybe the area around Van and to the west towards Greece.

For the moment,
Duck.

#1260259 - 17/04/2014 18:36 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I thought I'd add a couple of links to articles; one about Nicaragua and what the communities are feeling there re: their earthquakes, and another article regarding what scientists are trying to ascertain as a reason for all the tremors/EQ's in Idaho recently;

"Earthquakes diminish in Nicaragua, but country remains on red alert" - The Tico Times

"Central Idaho rocked by hundreds of earthquakes" - rt.com/usa

I can't connect to the Global Incidents Map atm., so going off the USGS maps, the Solomons are, as I mentioned earlier, are still active - and nearby in PNG.
Micronesia (near the Marianna's/Guam - western Pacific) has come up with an EQ as I felt it may.

The east coast of Japan, around the region /coast of Sendai, has been active too - 4 quakes so far noted on USGS. But the Japanese seismic sensors are still picking up many small jitters, and seem to be focusing on the general region of Tokyo. Though there are 'jitters' popping up all over Japan. I feel they may go on to feel another quake - maybe an M4+(+?).

Chile is still active and the Caribbean is still sitting in the corner of my eye for more tremors and maybe an M3+(+?).

I am getting a gut feeling there is another larger movement to occur somewhere - a bit of a feeling 'in the air' that something is brewing.

Those ribbed clouds I sometimes rattle on about, have been visible to my east this arvo (late)....

Van in Turkey came up with a small tremor. I thought they may have experienced an M3+ today.

Yellowstone has had a couple of small movements today and Oregon followed on suit with a small tremor. I feel Idaho may come up with a tremor again soon....

I may pop back in later.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (17/04/2014 18:37)

#1260307 - 18/04/2014 10:59 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Re: the South Sandwich Islands, I was a bit premature in discarding my own feelings about this region possibly moving. Theis area came up with an M5 an hour ago'ish.

Japan, as I suspected, has come up with movement off the east coast (near Honshu), and up into the Kuril Islands.

The Balleny Islands came up with a couple of substantial quakes 9 hours ago. I had a feeling that a larger quake was brewing near Australia or between here/NZ and the Antarctic. That may have 'relevant' to that feeling I had in a previous posts, where I felt there was 'something in the air'...?

Notice how there have been 3 locations just north of various points just north of the Antarctic where some moderate or larger quakes have occurred within the last 9 hours?
My feeling, as has been for a short while, is that there is/was energies brewing and/or moving around, up and from the Antarctic region recently.

Briefly on the U.S. EQ front, Idaho and two locations in Nevada (well inland from the west coast) have come up with tremors between M2.5 and near M3. I feel this large general region (west and SW of Yellowstone) may see some more tremors come up in the short term.
Washington and Oregon, again, may go on the feel a couple of small tremors, maybe even an M2+(+?) somewhere around there.

I also feel that there may be another EQ between the Sulu, Celebes and Banda Seas.

For now, Duck.

#1260375 - 18/04/2014 22:08 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again for today.

Britain has come up with a couple more tremors in the last 24 hours. A few posts ago I mentioned these feelings;
Quote:
I don't know why, but I often get drawn to the general UK region for a 'rare' movement of possibly M3 or M3+ to possibly occur there in 2014

I had a feeling that they may occur in the near future, but not as soon as they have.

Argentina's M5.3 was very deep, so I am presuming that this quake may not have caused too many problems for the folks there. But...I am interested in the fact that it was so deep at over 600kms. On land, I possibly would have expected an earthquake in this location to have been shallower. On the 28/5/2012, there was an M6.3 in/near this location at a depth of 547kms. In 1817 there was an M7 earthquake in this approx region. I am guessing here, but I am wondering if all of the continuous activity on the west coast of Chile near this region of Argentina has aggravated a a fault line in this region....?

Japan's several EQ's in the last 13 hours or so, to me, shows a sort of instability or focused energy along the upper east coast. I hope this may not be a prelude to a larger moderate quake for Japan. This EQ behaviour is quite persistent, though it may subside hopefully. Or maybe the Kurils might be the region to come up with a larger moderate quake....will see.

Van, Turkey, has just come up with another tremor (M2.7) I felt it would. A couple of other regions nearby have also had small tremors. From Greece to Turkey, my 'mind's-eye' is still wandering to this region for more tremors and maybe an M4(+?)...

So far for today Santa Cruz is the only location to have come up with an M6+, thankfully there have been no more and this quake apparently didn't cause any issues for the local communities. Though I feel it may have been strong enough to upset some currents and cause other small water changes.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (18/04/2014 22:08)

#1260404 - 19/04/2014 11:14 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Good morning folks.

The (map) point at which the large quake in Mexico occurred is the location I had in mind as the western point of an imaginary line heading east over to the Caribbean. If you look due east over towards the tremors in Puerto Rico (Dominican Republic), that is the line which has firmly stuck in my mind's eye for the last couple of weeks.
For those folks who have followed my posts, you will remember me rattling on here and there about this region (from Central America over to the Caribbean) as 'one' I felt may come up with a quake. Below is one of the posts on the 11/4/2014 I generally eluded to such;
Quote:
This is associated with the region (Central America and Caribbean) that I said in a previous post that may be "bottling up with some energy". In my daffy mind, I felt/saw an arrow poking towards this region.

But, the most important thing is the effect these quakes have on the communities, not whether I am right or wrong.

At this stage it appears that there have been no casualties in Mexico, though there has been some property damage and, understandably, many unnerved folks there.
As to the nature of this quake, it is interesting to note what many folks have described as a wave-roll motion or a gently swaying sensation, rather than a violent rumbling one.
The USGS describes the behaviour of the large quake as;

"The April 18, 2014 M 7.2 earthquake near the Pacific coast of Mexico occurred in the state of Guerrero, 265 km southwest of Mexico City. The earthquake occurred as the result of thrust motion at shallow depths. The initial location, depth, and mechanism of the April 18 earthquake are broadly consistent with slip on or near the plate boundary interface between the subducting Cocos oceanic sea plate and the North America plate."

The M5.3 - 33km NE of Noatak, Alaska, is interesting, but obviously a bit of a shock to the community there.
As I started to look up some info on this quake, I came across an interesting U.S. site which provides a lot of info on this location - here
Their last EQ of M4.2 occurred in 1969 (according to historical records). This community is about 93kms from the nearest volcano, which according to the Volcano Discovery maps there is no currently recognized volcanic activity in the region. So I am guessing this latest EQ may have been solely due to fault movements.

Aftershock for Mexico and Noatak, Alaska, are still occurring.

The Balleny Islands have come up with another M5+ 6 hours ago. I wonder (perhaps an outside chance) if some of the energy being expelled here may travel NW (maybe towards Tassie) and NE (towards NZ) soon...?

The number of large quakes that have been occurring in the Pacific region in recent times has been and is incredible, and a bit worrying.

For now, Duck.

#1260414 - 19/04/2014 14:02 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Broome

Didn't someone mention that after heavy rainfall/flooding there is usually a earthquake in this area of New Guinea /Solomon Isalnds ..?

Well they got that with TC Ida.

Earthquake in New Guinea

#1260418 - 19/04/2014 16:06 Re: Earthquakes [Re: desieboy]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi desieboy.

I've just come back to see that PNG/Solomons have had yet another large quake.

And yes, a few posts ago we chatted about the possibility of floods and water-weight perhaps contributing to earthquakes.
It is a perspective of some folks, and a retired scientist I know of, who feel that tidal behaviours (including flooding and increased water-weight) may be such a contributor or maybe even an activator of some EQ happenings.

But with some of the larger quakes happening around the Pacific rim at the moment, this idea may not be completely applicable.
The major and some minor plate movements may be being driven by other forces, such as the flow on effect of deep magma upwelling from anywhere down below the earth's crust and up to the behaviours of such in shallower regions. Included in this mix, which may not be relevant to some of the quakes happening, may be the behaviours of volcanic activity.

Other influences (and this is not my area of clear understanding yet [layman], though I do believe it has some relevance to some EQ activity) on EQ activity could be solar and lunar 'forces'.....There are people who study these topics very thoroughly and feel there is a connection.

Considering all of the above, I feel that the Earth has it's own interconnecting natural occurrences, i.e., that one event type (e.g. an EQ) is not usually caused by one thing - e.g. a plate shift on its own. There is/are usually another contributing factor/s.

Way back in the EQ thread, we also chatted about other potential triggers for EQ's, being as varied as quarry blasts, other activities of 'mam', meteorites, dams and so on.

But as I mentioned previously, I personally don't feel that the quakes, in Chile and central America for example, are being caused by water-weight. I also feel that at this stage/times now, the quakes in the Solomons/PNG may not be being caused by water-weight either.
But, I may be wrong as I am not privy to all of the facts surrounding the causes of these quakes...I tend to mostly go on my limited knowledge combined with feelings/suspicions.

For the moment, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (19/04/2014 16:07)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1260439 - 20/04/2014 00:42 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

A tsunami warning is in place for the region surrounding the latest Solomon Islands/PNG large quake of M7.5.
see the NOAA warning here

I had a feeling something (EQ) had just occurred, as I woke up and immediately turned the computer on, only to find that the communities there are having to deal with yet another large quake (actually 2 x M7's). Let's hope that there is no damage there and are not poorly affected by water/sea inundation - even on a small scale, a small sea surge issue can cause problems because of the low lying lands near the islands' sea sides.

There are buoys NW and north of the Oz mainland (above/north of PNG) in event mode.
There are also buoys in event mode west of Central America, which went off after the quakes in Mexico.
National Data Buoy Centre

Kashmir has come up with an M4+ earlier.

More later (in the morning) when I get a chance.

For now, Duck.

#1260451 - 20/04/2014 10:00 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

To start off, I looked up how many larger quakes the planet has reeled with the last month (30 or so days), and there have been around or at least 35 quakes registering above M6. The largest so far appears to have been the Chile quake of M8.2 on the first of April.

If you tally in all of the aftershocks (continuing movements), and many of them have been not too shy of M5 to M6 themselves, the number of movements has been astounding.

It sees that just in the last week or so, the large quakes are not just sporadic, occasional occurrences, but seems like almost a daily occurrence for the time being. I find this quite incredible.

In all of the Earths' recent 'adjustments', there have been some places experience EQ's and tremors, which apparently aren't commonplace EQ locations. Places for example, the North Pole (Franz Josef) and Mongolia. There are a few others too.
I am wondering if there have been other tremors in some places which we haven't become aware of yet (maybe extremely remote places) or in regions whose tremor info is not readily available.

Regarding the Solomon/PNG region, I feel we may not have possibly seen the end, just yet, of the larger/moderate EQ's there. But I absolutely hope I am wrong.

I also feel we may not have seen the last of the larger moderate quakes in other places in the Pacific in the short term.

One other thing I have noticed and felt, is that the general focus of energy (re: plate/fault/earth movements) has momentarily relieved in the Atlantic and is focusing on the Pacific, with this energy moving/creeping through into the Caribbean from Central America (beginning at the west coast of Central America, then tremors ping-ponging between the west coast of Central America and over and through to Puerto Rico general region). Now, these are just my amateur feelings.

I feel that western Turkey and that region I mentioned in another post may come up with an M4+...it is still sticking with me.

For now, Duck.

Post note; just as I had finished uploading this post, western Turkey came up on the maps with an M4.2

Edited by duckweather (20/04/2014 10:01)
Edit Reason: bit extra

#1260464 - 20/04/2014 15:56 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Thanks Duckweather for the recent information on EQs .

Ten Eqs in one day all around 7 in magnitude is amazing ....must be a huge one shaping up then..

Never realised they had so any EQs in the Solomon/New Guinea region , its must be a Eqs hot spots with those pacific plates grinding away on each other just about every day.

As this article says nothing unusual though shocked

"But it’s nothing out of the ordinary for such an earthquake-prone country.”

Ms Mathews said it was the latest in a recent cluster of earthquakes in the Panguna region, with five events recorded in the past week including powerful magnitude 7.6 and 7.5 tremors that triggered a local tsunami alert.

Those jolts were felt locally but there were no reports of significant damage from remote and isolated Bougainville, which sits between the island of New Guinea and the Solomons.

The rumblings sparked panic in the Solomons capital Honiara, reeling from floods earlier this month that claimed at least 21 lives.

“This is quite an active area, an active tectonic area that receives a high frequency of earthquake activity,” Mathews said."

#1260467 - 20/04/2014 17:26 Re: Earthquakes [Re: desieboy]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

With such focused EQ activity in some places, my inquisitive, unscientific mind began to come up with some questions regarding EQ's.. Not just how they (EQ's) moved and about their power, but about the heat they may be producing and the impact of such on the immediate vicinity of the quakes?

So before I spent 10 minutes searching on the net for answers to the above - heat output etc., I thought I'd jot down what I felt may be a possible scenario about this aspect of EQ's.. (not only did I want to challenge my feelings about my Qu.'s, but I was willing to be challenged by what I found) smile

So here's what I hypothesized before my info quest;
1) heat is created by friction (though can be too by chemical reaction)
2) if the friction is short lived, perhaps a one-off movement, the heat dissipates and the surrounding rock stays in more of a solid state?
3) if the friction is semi- or continuous, the almost constant friction generates high temperatures, lessening jerky movements between rock (fault) surfaces, causing them to slip more freely and possibly producing smoother or rolling EQ movements?
4) if continuous movements (friction) cease for a time and the temperatures generated (melting rock friction points) drop and a possible follow on movement may be more jerky in nature - possibly creating a rough rattling EQ sensation?

Ok...you are probably thinking I have eaten too many Easter eggs today and the sugar high is getting to me wink

Anyway, I came across a couple of science articles in regard to heat generated by EQ's and the following one was the easiest to read and came pretty close to answering some of my questions;
"Flash Heat Rocks Earthquake Physics - by David Rosen" - The Brown Daily Herald - 2011

I was curious about the above, as we continue to see regions such as the Solomons, Chile and the Central America/Caribbean regions, as examples, experiencing almost continuous quakes (especially the first two regions).
I was wondering of the folks in this region had noticed a change in the behaviours of the movements they felt; whether they went from jerky movements in the initial quakes to smoother movements...

Though I am very mindful of the impact of these quakes on the communities experiencing effects of them and always hope for the safety of all communities.

Of course the nature of the causes of some quakes and their types of movements can produce anything from sharp, rattling to smoother sensations of ground movements.

Hey desieboy....
Some of these regions may be more prone to EQ's than others, but I feel that what we have seen with the multiple large quakes in focused regions till now is not a normal daily occurrence. Just as Japans' 2011 disaster was not a daily occurrence nor the Great Alaskan quakes in the '60's - even though these regions too may be prone to EQ activity.
Some folks in some of these regions, who have lived there for a very long time, have been known to say that they have never seen anything like what they have experienced - thought they may realize their region may be prone to EQ activity of varying degrees.

Anyway, I hope I made sense with what I have jotted here and lets hope that the current regions being belted with constant and/or larger quakes will enjoy a more peaceful existence soon after much of the energy driving these quakes has relieved itself.

For now, Duck.

#1260468 - 20/04/2014 17:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: desieboy]
Ken Kato Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Originally Posted By: desieboy
Never realised they had so any EQs in the Solomon/New Guinea region , its must be a Eqs hot spots with those pacific plates grinding away on each other just about every day.

Yep that region's known for quakes and many are big. For those who are signed up to receive quake alerts, it's one of the usual suspects. Here's a seismicity map from the USGS which shows it nicely:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3772/13946080854_0699b30493_o.jpg

#1260481 - 20/04/2014 21:44 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Ken Kato]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

I just came across this IRIS technology/part of their site, which allows you to hear the waveform of recent earthquakes as an audible sound - fascinating, but spooky/unnerving at the same time.

IRIS EQ recent EQ's

At this page, you will see the names of many regions and their respective earthquakes - click on the name of the region and the audio, as well as a visual of the seismo reading will be displayed.

Duck.

#1260486 - 20/04/2014 22:26 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
desieboy Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Those sound waves remind me of when i was a kid eats chips at the movie theatre.. laugh

Amazing stuff that and a bit scarey as you mentioned DW.

The old earth certainly does a bit of trembling on a daily basis...

#1260551 - 21/04/2014 18:40 Re: Earthquakes [Re: desieboy]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks - a quicky post for now smile

There was a sea surge of up to 5 meters (NOT in height) washing in on some of the beaches in Bougainville and East New Britain (PNG) after the last very big quake. It has caused some damage to water tanks, food supplies and some houses have collapsed - Earthquake Report here

Some energy is starting to show up in the Atlantic Ocean, with the Azores feeling tremors and the South Mid-Atlantic Ridge coming up with an M5.

The plate 'edge' on the east coast of Japan is quite active and there has just been another M4+ there (Hokkaido). I have been mentioning my feelings about the potential of this clustering activity for a short while now, and this scenario is unfortunately panning out to indicate the agitation I have anticipated. There may be an outside chance of an M5+(?) within this region in the short term...I may be wrong.

Don't quote me on this, but I read somewhere yesterday (and if I find the report again I'll post it here) that apart from Yellowstone showing some activity currently, there may be an 'inactive' volcano in Southern California (near the coast) which is showing some signs of some sort of activity.

For some reason I am being slightly drawn to Portland in Victoria for a tremor....could be wrong.
I feel there may be another 'run' of tremors in NSW, SA and WA in the next week.
In my mind's eye, I had this vision of an M4 'red-dot' on the North of the Gibson Desert on the map of Australia...
I also get a feeling we may see another larger quake occur after a short lull (the lull being most welcome of course) in the M5++ EQ activity.

Anyway, take what I say with a 'pinch-of-salt' and I may get a chance to pop in later tonight.

For now, Duck.

#1260566 - 21/04/2014 20:51 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

Just regarding what I mentioned in the previous post about the 'inactive' volcano in Southern California, I found a different website which mentions such - Dutchsinse see the second video down the page as well.

Cheers, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (21/04/2014 20:53)

Page 67 of 144 < 1 2 ... 65 66 67 68 69 ... 143 144 >

Who's Online
5 registered (quietskies, scott12, marakai, Thunderstruck, Squeako_88), 124 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Conor McDonald, dmhwce, LittleDavey83, Michael Lee, Nero
Forum Stats
29700 Members
32 Forums
24026 Topics
1506028 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image