Page 9 of 12 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#1463567 - 10/05/2018 19:36 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Markus Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: Clare, SA
Speeds were as advertised here for the NBN at first (25/5 plan at least)...seems since then others have joined, peak hour has dropped by over half.

Getting 280ms ping <100m from the node. Rules out any sort of online gaming, never used to get that bad on adsl2. Sad

http://markdawsonphoto.wordpress.com/

#1463574 - 10/05/2018 19:59 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: Markus]
Mega Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Maryborough, Wide Bay, QLD
Originally Posted By: Markus
Speeds were as advertised here for the NBN at first (25/5 plan at least)...seems since then others have joined, peak hour has dropped by over half.

Getting 280ms ping <100m from the node. Rules out any sort of online gaming, never used to get that bad on adsl2. Sad

yuck, that's not acceptable at all.

#1463825 - 14/05/2018 15:02 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
RC Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: near Rockhampton, Qld
I could have sworn I posted in this thread.

#1463829 - 14/05/2018 16:09 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: Mega]
ColdFront Offline

Loc: The Beach.
Originally Posted By: Mega
Originally Posted By: Markus

yuck, that's not acceptable at all.

Makes me think I should hold off on connection. I set my odometer yesterday at the box and I am 600 mtrs from the node.

#1463894 - 15/05/2018 18:29 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: ColdFront]
Ronfishes Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gordonvale
Originally Posted By: ColdFront
Originally Posted By: Ronfishes
I'm locked in with telstra now CF, I have 2 phones and the broadband on 1 bill.. No time for all that ^ Jazz lol. Everything is hooked up from my end, just gotta wait for the 15th changeover.

July 20th here I believe. Been wanting to ditch Telstra since we got here to be honest. My mobile is with Virgin and they have been very good. Home phone will get binned if we go to NBN. Simply not needed.

Well everything seems to have gome quite smoothly, initial speedtest just now gives a peak of 46.24Mbps down and 17.02 Mbps up, a marked improvement.

MTD: 13.8mm

YTD: 2241.2mm

#1463895 - 15/05/2018 18:36 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: Ronfishes]
ColdFront Offline

I'm locked in with telstra now CF, I have 2 phones and the broadband on 1 bill.. No time for all that ^ Jazz lol. Everything is hooked up from my end, just gotta wait for the 15th changeover.

July 20th here I believe. Been wanting to ditch Telstra since we got here to be honest. My mobile is with Virgin and they have been very good. Home phone will get binned if we go to NBN. Simply not needed.

Hopefully it stays that away as more jump on the line. How far from home is the node RF?

Well everything seems to have gome quite smoothly, initial speedtest just now gives a peak of 46.24Mbps down and 17.02 Mbps up, a marked improvement.

#1463900 - 15/05/2018 20:59 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
StormCapture Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Uleybury
NBN in my area of Craigmore, N burbs of Adelaide is operating surprisingly well but a hop skip and a jump over the road, they are still On ADSL

Before, on ADSL, speeds would reach a maximum of 1.0mbps, average was 0.6-0.8. Took ages to buffer anything and hours on end to download a simple file

Now that we are on NBN, ping is 9ms, speeds of 26Download and 8Upload but the plan was to be a min of 47mbps but the node is 800m down the road.

Did have issues with the phone at the start with it dropping out once every 4/5 days but Telstra performed maintenance on the line and no issues since.

Dislike the Telstra modem they gave us so that is bridged using a TP-Link router

#1463901 - 15/05/2018 21:04 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: StormCapture]
Mega Offline

Loc: Maryborough, Wide Bay, QLD
Originally Posted By: StormCapture
Now that we are on NBN, ping is 9ms, speeds of 26Download and 8Upload but the plan was to be a min of 47mbps but the node is 800m down the road

Unlucky. You lost the lottery - especially since you're a whopping 800m from your node. At least what you've got now is much faster than your old ADSL, I guess.

#1463902 - 15/05/2018 21:24 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wollongong, NSW, Aus
HigHly recommend Belong - uses Telscum infrastructure so mega bandwidth but none of the Telscum [censored].

#1463913 - 16/05/2018 08:58 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
ColdFront Offline

Hopefully it stays that away as more jump on the line. How far from home is the node RF?

#1463915 - 16/05/2018 09:35 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: Mega]
StormCapture Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Mega
Now that we are on NBN, ping is 9ms, speeds of 26Download and 8Upload but the plan was to be a min of 47mbps but the node is 800m down the road

Unlucky. You lost the lottery - especially since you're a whopping 800m from your node. At least what you've got now is much faster than your old ADSL, I guess.

Yer we are in a grey area, even TV reception was terrible until the council approved the installation of a signal booster many years ago,

26mbps is far better than 0.8mbps that's for sure.

We did go to TPG at one stage while on ADSL as they were offering more data for the same price we were paying for 30GB via telstra. Dropout after dropout with TPG, tech recorded over 150 drop outs in an hour. No issues since we moved back to Telstra.

#1463916 - 16/05/2018 09:45 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: StormCapture]
ColdFront Offline

No issues since we moved back to Telstra.

Funny that. I never had an issue with Telstra on ADSL2 but when I switched to other suppliers suddenly my speed dropped and I had drop outs. I don't think it is a coincidence.

#1463927 - 16/05/2018 12:36 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: ColdFront]
StormCapture Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Funny that. I never had an issue with Telstra on ADSL2 but when I switched to other suppliers suddenly my speed dropped and I had drop outs. I don't think it is a coincidence.

Interesting that I am not the only one who experienced it. When we had the TPG technician come out, he said the fault is on Telstra's side with the lines but the lines were in good condition, but yeah ever since we went back to Telstra, no drop outs.
Speed with TPG was about 1mbps, lucky to go 2mbps between 11PM and 7AM

Our speed was that bad, the telstra modems they supplied to us on ADSL when the plan renewed, would never work properly, would get 20-30 mins of un-interrupted internet then would drop out and would take another 10 to 15 minutes to re-connect, so we ended up buying a Netgear modem and no issues there.

#1463928 - 16/05/2018 12:42 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: ColdFront]
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

All to do with who owns what bandwidth.

#1463939 - 16/05/2018 15:24 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
ColdFront Offline

Mate's an ex-Telstra tech two doors up. They give their own clients the best connections at the exchange on ADSL according to him. Suspect D-slam. Give it to a dodo or westnet client (like us). Easy. They knew the hardware was going to go obsolete so refused to do maintenance the past few years, instead ensuring their own customers got the best connections.

My neighbour up in Cairns miraculously jumped up from 2 mbps to 11 mbps when he switched from Westnet to Telstra after being told for nearly two years there was nothing wrong with his line. When he wasn't a Telstra customer he was told by the tech that came to his house that the problem was inside his boundary after ruling out the usual suspects such as filters and modem. Miraculously the issue became a crook D-Slam when he switched.

"Hi Mr McDonald we found the issue was at the exchange after all". Hmmmmm. People here in Burnett Heads are being told there's no room left on the exchange for new connections and yet I got on straight away with Telstra. Yeah it must be coincidence.

#1463941 - 16/05/2018 15:39 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

From what I've been told by an "insider" download speed issues are almost always directly related to bandwidth avail - in this case, Telscum owns a huge slab of it.

#1463966 - 17/05/2018 00:24 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
ashestoashes Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Voyager Point (South West Sydn...
I feel so privileged to be receiving FTTP compared to the issues that you all have been facing. Although there is one issue that lingers with me many telcos haven't invested enough in peak bandwidth. Theoretically in peak times I should be getting almost within 1-2mbps counting wifi and other data losses. Although sometimes i'm getting 17 down on a 25/5 plan. Although doing a test at this time on wifi i had 8ms ping and 23.67mbps. So I would imagine that the peak bandwidth issues even past connectivity issues have been reducing speeds even further.

#1463971 - 17/05/2018 08:07 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
ColdFront Offline

23.67mbps on FTTP? Your supplier is taking the piss surely?

#1463972 - 17/05/2018 09:24 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: SBT]
ashestoashes Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Voyager Point (South West Sydn...
The 17mbps down is a joke but 23.67mbps is quite good for a wifi network since i'm on a 25/5 plan. I'm on Optus btw.

#1463976 - 17/05/2018 12:16 Re: NBN Woes, losses and wins [Re: ColdFront]
ozthunder Online   content
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Warrigal, NSW, Australia
Mate's an ex-Telstra tech two doors up. They give their own clients the best connections at the exchange on ADSL according to him. Suspect D-slam. Give it to a dodo or westnet client (like us). Easy. They knew the hardware was going to go obsolete so refused to do maintenance the past few years, instead ensuring their own customers got the best connections.

My neighbour up in Cairns miraculously jumped up from 2 mbps to 11 mbps when he switched from Westnet to Telstra after being told for nearly two years there was nothing wrong with his line. When he wasn't a Telstra customer he was told by the tech that came to his house that the problem was inside his boundary after ruling out the usual suspects such as filters and modem. Miraculously the issue became a crook D-Slam when he switched.

"Hi Mr McDonald we found the issue was at the exchange after all". Hmmmmm. People here in Burnett Heads are being told there's no room left on the exchange for new connections and yet I got on straight away with Telstra. Yeah it must be coincidence.

I think a lot of the problem is that many ISP's with ADSL are tied to Optus D SLAMs, which may be slower or overcrowded into exchange.

Page 9 of 12 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

Who's Online
4 registered (ozthunder, logansi, chasers addict, Sandbank), 315 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
egor gozlow, les4saisons, Miss_mischiff, Rigsy
Forum Stats
29700 Members
32 Forums
23996 Topics
1502371 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image