Page 136 of 137 < 1 2 ... 134 135 136 137 >
Topic Options
#1463960 - 16/05/2018 22:46 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi folks.

I was very interested to see that Hawaii Civil Defense had to put out a statement regarding the rumors that some sites and some parts of social media [not me] were perhaps strongly suggesting there is the potential for a mega tsunami and large earthquake surrounding the current activity in Hawaii. I was surprised because a couple of my posts ago I nattered on about the doco series regarding the southern flank of Kilauea. Of course the Civil Defense needing to respond to such rumors was a pure coincidence with my second last post. I am not into fear mongering and of course the Civil Defense statement had nothing to do with my mentioning of the doco I talked about. I did a search of sites and posts which the Civil Defense were perhaps responding to and found some referring to a possible disaster scenario.

Now, I feel that the activity in Hawaii is unnerving and is terrible that it has claimed people's homes and properties. No-one can predict 100% what the ultimate scenario is for this volcano and all associated tremors/quakes. I hope that, as I said in a previous post, that the lava pushing it's way to the east mostly, will help to alleviate any potential pressure placed on the southern flank and, over time, all will settle. Time will tell. Not being a scientist in any realm, it is not for me to assume knowledge or predicting any impending doom for any region as a result of volcanoes or quakes. I would never do that. My interest in these subjects is researching [where I can] and info gathering to improve my knowledge.

Hawaii's activity is no doubt interesting and a learning experience [of the behaviour of volcanoes and associated tremors]. But ultimately and primarily, my observation of this situation, like may others, is in caring about the welfare of the folks over there who are facing this disaster. I am also particularly focused on Hawaii atm., as I have friends travelling there next week [if they will be able to] and we are keeping an eye on the situation.

An M4+ has come up in the Leilani Estates region an hour ago, amongst other tremors involving the volcanic activity. The tremor activity is fairly constant, but there are times when the tremors come up in a clusters too when the pressure builds and momentarily focuses on one or two spots. Apparently there are 21 fissures now, with one fissure in particular showing renewed/heightened activity.

Let's hope the Hawaiian activity settles soon.

For now, Duck.

#1463962 - 16/05/2018 23:13 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Kino Online   content
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wollongong, NSW, Aus
Duck, Iíve heard similar with a mega tsunamis also likely to threaten Australia.

#1463965 - 16/05/2018 23:54 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Kino]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Kino.

Yes, I have seen, over time, various discussions elsewhere on the net regarding the potential of mega tsunamis affecting the Australian coastline. Earthquakes, shelf [sea] collapses, volcanoes, asteroids and so on can be the instigators of such. I am sure since the dawn of time there have been mega tsunamis affecting Oz.

On the Bureau of Meteorology Australia website there is a list of recorded [since records were established in Oz] tsunami effects on the Oz coastlines. here.

With the nature and potential of events Mother Earth can cook up sometimes, there will be chances of varying degrees for a fairly rare mega tsunami to affect us again. As the BOM site page shows, mega tsunamis in other places in the world can travel far enough to affect our coastlines. So many cities are built on or close to the waterline in so many countries, that these days a mega tsunami could have some serious consequences for many countries. We will see another large tsunami somewhere sometime, unfortunately. But when...I dunno.

A long time ago, we got swamped on the Cowes [Phillip Island] beach by a tremendous 'wash' of water which rushed around the island. One of my sons nearly got swept out in the current. It shocked the you-know-what out of us and him. It was such unusual behaviour, I wondered if it was the after effect of a sea quake - meaning a tsunami - but never found out what caused it.

Cheers, Duck.

#1464038 - 18/05/2018 13:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

The tremors/quakes are obviously ongoing and fluctuating in Hawaii.
I found [if I haven't already put this link in before?] a link to the USGS offering their statement on the south flank of Kilauea and wanting to debunk the notion being put forward on some sites/blogs etc., that the south flank will slump and cause a mega tsunami. In the link the USGS offer very interesting history and info on this topic. Again, for me, it is information that adds to my understanding of volcanoes, quakes etc..

The USGS info on the south flank of Kilauea

NZ {Kermadecs} have come up with some decent quakes today. M6.2 was the biggest so far. This activity falls into place with what I was suspecting may occur near or on NZ. Other locations in the Pacific, such as Japan, seem to have a heightened potential for M5+'s too [Japan has had one}.
There have been [and possibly will be more to come] several decent sized quakes popping up around the Ring of Fire in the last 24 hours or so.

Iceland came up with a quake M4.2.

The Mediterranean has had it's share of small tremors too, as has the countries to its east and west - see Euro and Middle East tremors

PNG and/or Vanuatu [or nearby island] may {or may not} come up with a quake yet.

A location/words that came to mind Barren or Barrow or Baron for some reason - may mean nothing. Or another location starting with the letter 'B'....????

For now, Duck.

#1464040 - 18/05/2018 13:56 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Kino Online   content
Weatherzone Addict

Talking about Hawaii - check this out

#1464053 - 18/05/2018 19:05 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
cold@28 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Chillagoe
Any more info on this Kino?

#1464054 - 18/05/2018 19:18 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
KevD Offline
Occasional Visitor

Loc: Bellingen NSW 2454
Beautiful and incredible image. I have to admit I had to check it out to see if it was fake - does not look like it is! Was taken at the same location in 2009. Caption reads: "Hot lava pouring from the Kilauea volcano in Hawaii creates vortexes of steam in the Pacific Ocean"

#1464057 - 18/05/2018 20:45 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
cold@28 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Thanks Kev
Found an article on Business Insider, apparently from 2009.
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/hawaiian-lava-steam-vortices-tornadoes-2017-6?r=US&IR=T

It inspired me to look further, and it's mind blowing to look at lava and the sea.
https://www.google.com/search?q=hawaii+v...iw=1280&bih=575

#1464065 - 19/05/2018 11:59 Re: Earthquakes [Re: cold@28]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just a quicky post folks - live footage of Puna's cone taking shape and all the activity there;

Duck.

#1464071 - 19/05/2018 17:51 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
How good is that. 20 yrs back I stood at mt yasurís rim and watched it play up, itís awesome and mesmerising all at once watching a volcano up close.

#1464090 - 20/05/2018 10:34 Re: Earthquakes [Re: BIG T]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi BIG T and all.

Yes, it is mesmerizing BIG T. To think this started out as a crack in the road/ground - showed inflation and separation up to 6 feet [approx] - with people looking down into to hole - and then it took off. Amazing.

Rusty the Rooster - who is becoming an internet hit - keeps crowing in the background. And there is a tree which stood valiantly in the lava flow path which people named Piney. Not sure if has succumbed to the flow - some say it has, others no.

But above all, it is still a sad thing for folks to have lost their properties and some of their animals.

There was an M5 volcanic explosion earlier, which would have been incredible to feel.

The footage coming from the youtube feed is from a camera set up in someone's house [I believe] - with the owners allowing the crew to stay there [if I have my info correct]. The house is about 300 yards or feet [can't remember what they said measurement wise] from the fissures and new volcanic mound forming. The volcanic mound may be a bit further from the house than the fissures closer the Kilauea volcano.

Amazing footage of this event and hope all folks there stay safe.

There are a couple of translations for Rusty the Rooster in Hawaiian. I reckon they could name the new volcanic mount/crater after him - ʻo ia ka moa. After all it is near his home. He has become so popular in this extraordinary event, and not to sound silly, I think it is a good name for the new volcanic feature.

Anyway, there are quite a few M5's coming up around the plane atm., and an interesting one came up in the Tasman Sea - just east of near the Vic and NSW border....

For now, Duck.

#1464138 - 21/05/2018 12:22 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
ozthunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Warrigal, NSW, Australia
Interesting Tsunami talk.

I always try to find signs of where water worn rocks are located well above tide marks.

Bass Point in the Shellharbour region is a good one. In the current drought with grass thin you can see at a local surfing spot called the Shallows that the soil at least 50 metres inland into grass, and elevated perhaps 5m to 7m has lots of rounded material.

The south side however is more dramatic with large boulders pushed right up to the first lines of vegetation. I have probably seen a sea big enough to have a wave reach that area, but hardly enough to push a grain of sand let alone a rock weighing as much as a car.

At Port Kembla there are a couple of rocks on the clay/sand hill above honeycomb rocks that do not belong, rounded volcanic rocks from a dyke much further below. May post picture tonight.

#1464143 - 21/05/2018 13:34 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Kino Online   content
Weatherzone Addict

I vaguely recall a geography lesson from HS (teacher was Alan Hardy from Shellharbour) who told us they'd discovered at one time, sand & associated debris on the western side of Lake Illawarra, believed to be from a Tsunamis. That's a decent sized wave.

#1464148 - 21/05/2018 14:53 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Kino]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Yep, I reckon in the life of our continent there have been events of larger tsunamis which have deposited various 'things' inland. I also believe [in my own mind] that lands around the world have risen and fallen as well, and this can be why, in some locations, sea items [shells, fossilized sea creatures etc.,] have been found in cliffs and inland formations. Fascinating stuff.

Not only mentioning the above, we have many places in Oz where you can find lava deposits. There are quite a few ancient/old volcanic regions on our continent and into the seas around us.

Just looking at all of the quakes in Mayotte [NW of Madagascar], I have a bit of a feeling that these movements may be related to their volcanic systems. I hope I am wrong, and just may well be.

Other moderately sized quakes have popped up in various places too, and it seems that there has been an increase in such across the planet. I wouldn't mind betting [just a little] that we will see some other volcanic behaviours in some regions too, other than Hawaii.

There has been an interesting 'circle' of 4 [which actually makes a square] of tremors come up in New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas, within a very short space of time today. Just looking at the USGS map, there was also one in Tennessee - which became part of a line from east to west and visa-versa - when you momentarily forget the 'square' I just mentioned. here

On listening to some of the audio from the Honolulu Civil Beat live feed, it is sad to hear the chat from some of the folks that have lost their properties. Other commentary from the videographers and other knowledgeable folks is interesting - learning about this situation there on the Big Island. Some of the earthquakes/volcanic quakes there have been loud rumbles and the volcanic action itself is incredibly loud sometimes.

I still get a horrible feeling that we may see an M7+ somewhere, sometime soon. I dunno where, but it feels to me that there is possibly energy potential enough to throw one up somewhere....I could be very wrong.

More quakes to come for the globe - I reckon on the M5 scale. Maybe with an M6 or two. Will see.

Oz may come up with a few more tremors too - one offshore and maybe one on the coast, and maybe a few inland and maybe one in the red centre. Will see.....

For now, Duck.

#1464149 - 21/05/2018 15:46 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
cold@28 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

When I lived in Maleny (Queensland) the locals said there was oral history of a tsunami in the past that came in almost as far as Nambour.

#1464225 - 23/05/2018 10:56 Re: Earthquakes [Re: cold@28]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi all.

Hi cold@28, that wouldn't surprise me.

Just a quicky post for now.

NT has come up with a tremor I was expecting [my preducktion = 'prediction' which is a word I actually don't like smile ] I said it might be in the "red centre", but it came up in Tennant Creek.

Vic has come up with an offshore tremor near Portland. I actually thought [in my mind] that it would be Vic and Bass Strait, but didn't say so in my last post. I felt this 'offshore' one may or could have also come up off NW WA, or SE NSW or near Kangaroo Island'ish....also.

Anyway, hope to catch up with some more later if/when I can. Duck.

#1464270 - 24/05/2018 11:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

A quicky post again smile

Check out these very interesting stories about the Leilani Estates in Hawaii.... eek

Blue flames coming from ground cracks

Major cracking in ground running under houses

What causes blue flames...sulphur +...

For the moment, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (24/05/2018 11:56)
Edit Reason: add info

#1464273 - 24/05/2018 15:01 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again for today.

Here are two links to watch [one I have already posted being the you-tube live vision of the volcanic activity]. One is the USGS Hawaii EQ map [which is constantly updating].
Now, when you see the tremors come up in a bit of a cluster or they get a good M3 or more there, in another tab on your computer, watch the flow-on-effect of the tremors [magma intrusion possible cause into the Kilauea volcano itself] in increasing the size of the lava fountains. I reckon there is a direct correlation.

And.... USGS Hawaii earthquake map

For now Duck.

Edited by duckweather (24/05/2018 15:02)

#1464368 - 26/05/2018 22:37 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

In my very amateur opinion or suspicion, I feel that the Kilauea volcano may be experiencing activity localizing [generally speaking] or renewed activity again. Could this be possible magma intrusion again?

Before all of the calamity with the volcanic activity running to the ESE of Kilauea, involving the Leilani Estate and some other locations, the cavity filled volcano [Kilauea] dropped some 1000 feet, signalling an issue with the volcano.

The ground around some parts of Leilani Estates is cracking badly and for the very moment it seems that only sporadic tremors are coming up there. Thus I mention the focus of tremor activity seems to generally surrounding the Kilauea summit again. Could this also mean that it is possibly going to throw up an M4+ tremor/quake? Could this mean that it will, IF the magma is rebuilding, that it may re-energize the lava expulsion we have seen to the ESE [including Leilani]? The fissures [there are 23] are still active in varying degrees and fissure no. 7 particularly has been noted to have re-energized.

Let's hope that this situation doesn't worsen and that Kilauea is just 'flexing her muscles' and will settle soon.

A tremor has come up in the NW region of Big Island, and to the NE in recent days. There have also been tremors offshore - one [if I remember correctly] was close to a sea mount off the south coast - south of Kilauea. This scenario is not over though and what is happening to the landform in the SE is quite concerning.

Australia has been coming up with a few of the tremors I mentioned it may. We have had a slight increase in M3's in this time period [7 days]. Some tremors, like the 2 in NSW today, have come up within a very short space of time of each other. Queensland, as I type, is the only state that hasn't had a tremor recorded yet.....
Newcastle or just inland of there may come up with a tremor....?
South of Culcairn [NSW] may also come up with a tremor.....?
Maybe near Albany [WA] a tremor.....?
Maybe near Carnarvon or Broome [WA]
For all of the above locations that I suspect may come up with a tremor in Oz [and there are others I haven't noted yet]... I may be very wrong folks.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (26/05/2018 22:37)
Edit Reason: spelling again

#1464423 - 27/05/2018 23:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I came across this beautiful video of Mount Gambier by Ockert Le Roux Photography. I hope one day to visit Mount Gambier, as it has always been a place of interest for me, amongst many other places in Australia. I know this has nothing to do with EQ's, but I thought I'd jot the video in anyway. The sound track is wonderful too.

Anyway, an M4+ came up offshore about 400kms west of Broome [WA] today. I said in a last post that I thought one may come up near Broome or Carnarvon and Broome came up.
So Geoscience is adding quakes to our map [link in my signature] in several places or nearby where I thought some may come up. I still think another M3 or more is yet to show up on the map for us. IN my neck of the woods [near the Dandenong Ranges], it felt a little eerie today. I reckon Vic may be in for another tremor...?

There have been a few new tremors in the seamount of southern Big Island [Hawaii] I was hinting at in my last post - in relation to Kilauea. Kilauea seems still to be the general focus of tremor activity today. I am curious about the seamount activity though. I get a wee feeling that an M4'sh is still yet to come for this region - maybe a little higher - will see and hope not. As I have been fluffing around with this post, another tremor has come up in relation to the seamount - albeit a small one.

The western side of the Pacific is trotting along with M4+'s and the Mediterranean and surrounding regions are feeling some tremors too. Apparently Holland have a tremor as well [quite unusual].
Britain may come up with a tremor as may Norway and Switzerland...?

For now, Duck.

Page 136 of 137 < 1 2 ... 134 135 136 137 >

Who's Online
14 registered (mysteriousbrad, Kino, Dr Philosophy, Ruckle, Max744, davidg, StormCapture, Warwick Eye2Sky, Homer, kizz, Jimi, snowforus, 2 invisible), 324 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
mattgmc87, mattmelb02
Forum Stats
29583 Members
32 Forums
23919 Topics
1492784 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image