Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: NE suburbs, Adelaide, South Au...
tremor minutes ago at Mt Compass south of Adelaide.... widely felt

#1464887 - 03/06/2018 13:02 Re: Earthquakes [Re: teckert]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi folks.

Australia has had some good tremors recently. One offshore Queensland [an interesting one in the Coral Sea] of M4 at 10kms deep. Other tremors have come up too in NSW, SA and WA. Vic is still rocking along here and there too. And....there will be more to come. With the EQ's happening around the western side of the Pacific and through Indonesia particularly, there may be more energy come in from the north and NE and maybe even from the Southern Ocean.

Hawaii had an M5+ yesterday. A quake which I was quietly thinking was going to occur. Apparently, Kilauea volcano's crater was being blocked up by falling crater sides - causing a blockage. This alone was not what I felt may go on to contribute to a decent eruption. I personally feel that the magma was rebuilding pressure anyway as well. More lava is funneling down and uprising from under the lower SE of the Big Island. Most of the volcanic tremors are occurring around Kilauea though. Some tremors have popped up in other place in the NW and north and NE of where the main action is.
There are some folks in Hawaii and others who are reminding outsiders that the lava activity only occupies a tiny portion of Big Island and that is correct. But, when you look at a map of Big Island - and include the location of Kilauea - that percentage [associated with the current activity] is considerably larger in percentage of the island, unfortunately. Much respect for the folks there and especially the folks who have lost everything to Madam Pele.

Many M5'ishes have popped up across the planet in the last several days. With what looked like a particular flurry in the last 24 hours.

Mayotte, NW of Madagascar, is still coming up with quakes and will continue I feel.

More to catch up on soon, for now, Duck.

#1464903 - 03/06/2018 19:42 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just had a tremor - house rattled slightly and windows. Definitely felt it. Will see what Geoscience records... smile
Duck.

#1464939 - 04/06/2018 12:51 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just a quicky post for now.

M5.5 vlocanic explosion Kilauea
Interesting updating reports.

King Island had a tremor 1 hour after I felt a tremor here in Wantirna last night. Still waiting to see if Geoscience recorded anything for our general region too.

For now, Duck.

#1464975 - 04/06/2018 20:22 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Mad Elf #1.5 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Hallen QLD
Getting volcano lively around the place, Guatamala, Hawaii, Mayotte, not to mention the other good shakes in multiple places. Bit unsettling the Earth is.

#1464979 - 04/06/2018 21:08 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Mad Elf #1.5]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yeh Mad Elf, it's a bit of a worry.

There's some video of the eruption in Guatemala of the volcanic activity on face-book I have just seen and it is incredible. Sad too, as some people have been killed and some missing.

I had a suspicion about Mayotte too when all the quakes started there. Other places [volcanoes] may also be irritated too at the moment - to add to the number of volcanoes of concern.

I reckon we may even see some undersea volcanoes, as well as the ones onland, crop up with some activity too.

Kilauea is and has been a concerning series of activity. There's no end in immediate sight for the problems this volcano and its sister vents there.

Check out Volcano Discovery's list of active/erupting volcanoes atm..
Volcano Discovery
Heard Island [Australia] has picked up some activity too.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (04/06/2018 21:11)

#1465184 - 07/06/2018 15:19 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I have been watching the pattern of tremors on Hawaii Big Island. It has become and is predictable [by degrees] of when an M5, or thereabouts, is going to occur on the summit [Kilauea]. Multiple and flurries of small tremors happen within a few hours or less, culminating in M4+'s. Once relieved, it goes moderately quiet, with a few rumbles dissipating in the surrounds [Mauna Loa] and on the summit [Kilauea]. Then it rebuilds with tremors, one after the other, and an M5'ish occurs, to relieve the pressure again [Kilauea].
As I type this post, it has gone quiet, very momentarily.

Hawaii Big Island tremor map - updating

Catch up with more later, Duck.

#1465405 - 11/06/2018 11:11 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

In the past you have seen me rattle on about some of the possible EQ precursors, and especially animal behaviours. I stumbled across this great Youtube video on just this topic [animal behaviors]. Within this great video, my dear long-distance friend and geologist, Jim Berkland, [now passed] is interviewed regarding some of his observations. He predicted the Loma Prieta EQ in 1989 [amongst others], but his observations were not given credence pre-Loma Prieta. A wonderful soul lost to science when he passed away. Bless him.

Hawaii's tremors are behaving as I anticipated - as mentioned in my previous post. I wonder how long this volcanic activity will continue on?

Victoria has had another tremor, in the Hume region at M2.8. There have been some very subtle vibrations here and there in Vic and the seismo's have shown what I think is such, separate from the effect of other quakes in the Pacific west and south of Oz.

There are many 'usual' tremors/quakes coming up in places in the west Pacific. The Mediterranean, European, Middle East and Asian regions are also feeling rather typical tremors here and there. A quake came up at the 'top' of the Mid Atlantic Ridge [Arctic] and it may be that the ridges [e.g. Antarctic ridges as well] in the southern part of the planet may come up with an odd M5 here and there.

May catch up with some more soon, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (11/06/2018 11:14)

#1465900 - Yesterday at 13:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
FNQ Bunyip Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: North bank river Daintree
Have not dropped in here for a very long time .
But the usgs site is now at 4901 in 7 days , WOW I've been watching that site for quite a few years now and have never seen it anywhere near that high.
Who knows whats ahead, but it could be a big one.

Cheers
2018 Rainfall

Page 137 of 137 < 1 2 ... 135 136 137

Who's Online
10 registered (Mr Buzle, ashestoashes, Kino, DarrylS, Quagmelson, Antarctic Whaler, Summ3r, Mathew, 2 invisible), 305 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
christos(1), Lightning55, Luke_A, Max744, Mrs. Randy
Forum Stats
29585 Members
32 Forums
23919 Topics
1492909 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image