Topic Options
#1465241 - 08/06/2018 14:27 What is happening with Weatherzone reporting on Perth rainfall
Spiceman Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Maroochydore, QLD
I've noticed for the last week that every couple of days rainfall amounts simply disappear from the Weatherzone records. For example today it looks as though Perth has only had 27 mm of rain so far in June however and even though it has been raining here for 4 days it shows we've only had two days of rainfall. According to the BOM Perth has received 41.8 mm in the past 4 days but we also received rainfall on the 1st June as well, I just can't remember the amount.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/wa/perth/perth

Anyway, I'm wondering if this is a glitch in the system that may be happening in other places because it will affect Weatherzone records and statistics.

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

#1465243 - 08/06/2018 14:28 Re: What is happening with Weatherzone reporting on Perth rainfall [Re: Spiceman]
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wollongong, NSW, Aus
Yeah, happens to Bellambi (Wollongong) AWS frequently - one day it's a min temp, then rainfall, then a max temp etc and there's been no pressure readings for ages.

#1465262 - 08/06/2018 18:12 Re: What is happening with Weatherzone reporting on Perth rainfall [Re: Spiceman]
Spiceman Offline
Weather Freak

probably the effects of climate change...

#1465263 - 08/06/2018 18:24 Re: What is happening with Weatherzone reporting on Perth rainfall [Re: Spiceman]
Matt Pearce Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Kariong, NSW
The BoM has had a major server outage in the last week that is affecting their transmission of observation data to us.

They are currently working on this, and expect to have it resolved by mid next week.

#1465277 - 08/06/2018 23:43 Re: What is happening with Weatherzone reporting on Perth rainfall [Re: Spiceman]
Spiceman Offline
Weather Freak

The thing is Matt, is that as each day's rainfall occurred it was on your site. For example yesterday you had the day before's rainfall recorded and now it is gone today and you only have the last two days. The day before that the same thing. So rain has fallen and been recorded for the past 4 days but as each day passes on Weatherzone another day totals drop off.

Are you saying all your data each day is tied to theirs? Why then does the BoM have the data still on their pages? I'm just trying to understand how you have data and then you lose it. I get if something is out and you don't get it in the first place.

#1465295 - 09/06/2018 10:38 Re: What is happening with Weatherzone reporting on Perth rainfall [Re: Spiceman]
kizz Online   content
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Beacon Hill, Sydney 152m asl
Venturing into the world of business intelligence and data management there.

It depends on what is done with the source feed from the BOM. A simple insert\update would just reflect any data dropouts that the BOM have. Hard to say what ETL processes WZ would have to mitigate risks like this.

#1465611 - 14/06/2018 16:45 Re: What is happening with Weatherzone reporting on Perth rainfall [Re: Spiceman]
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wollongong, NSW, Aus
Originally Posted By: Spiceman
The thing is Matt, is that as each day's rainfall occurred it was on your site. For example yesterday you had the day before's rainfall recorded and now it is gone today and you only have the last two days. The day before that the same thing. So rain has fallen and been recorded for the past 4 days but as each day passes on Weatherzone another day totals drop off.

Are you saying all your data each day is tied to theirs? Why then does the BoM have the data still on their pages? I'm just trying to understand how you have data and then you lose it. I get if something is out and you don't get it in the first place.

Seems the greamlins are still around - today’s obs say max temp was 19 yet check of the 10-min obs shows temp never even got close.

Who's Online
7 registered (Funkyseefunkydo, kizz, Thunderstruck, Antarctic Whaler, petethemoskeet, 2 invisible), 70 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Thundermum
Forum Stats
29631 Members
32 Forums
23942 Topics
1495598 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image