Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: NE suburbs, Adelaide, South Au...
tremor minutes ago at Mt Compass south of Adelaide.... widely felt

#1464887 - 03/06/2018 13:02 Re: Earthquakes [Re: teckert]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi folks.

Australia has had some good tremors recently. One offshore Queensland [an interesting one in the Coral Sea] of M4 at 10kms deep. Other tremors have come up too in NSW, SA and WA. Vic is still rocking along here and there too. And....there will be more to come. With the EQ's happening around the western side of the Pacific and through Indonesia particularly, there may be more energy come in from the north and NE and maybe even from the Southern Ocean.

Hawaii had an M5+ yesterday. A quake which I was quietly thinking was going to occur. Apparently, Kilauea volcano's crater was being blocked up by falling crater sides - causing a blockage. This alone was not what I felt may go on to contribute to a decent eruption. I personally feel that the magma was rebuilding pressure anyway as well. More lava is funneling down and uprising from under the lower SE of the Big Island. Most of the volcanic tremors are occurring around Kilauea though. Some tremors have popped up in other place in the NW and north and NE of where the main action is.
There are some folks in Hawaii and others who are reminding outsiders that the lava activity only occupies a tiny portion of Big Island and that is correct. But, when you look at a map of Big Island - and include the location of Kilauea - that percentage [associated with the current activity] is considerably larger in percentage of the island, unfortunately. Much respect for the folks there and especially the folks who have lost everything to Madam Pele.

Many M5'ishes have popped up across the planet in the last several days. With what looked like a particular flurry in the last 24 hours.

Mayotte, NW of Madagascar, is still coming up with quakes and will continue I feel.

More to catch up on soon, for now, Duck.

#1464903 - 03/06/2018 19:42 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just had a tremor - house rattled slightly and windows. Definitely felt it. Will see what Geoscience records... smile
Duck.

#1464939 - 04/06/2018 12:51 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just a quicky post for now.

M5.5 vlocanic explosion Kilauea
Interesting updating reports.

King Island had a tremor 1 hour after I felt a tremor here in Wantirna last night. Still waiting to see if Geoscience recorded anything for our general region too.

For now, Duck.

#1464975 - 04/06/2018 20:22 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Mad Elf #1.5 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Hallen QLD
Getting volcano lively around the place, Guatamala, Hawaii, Mayotte, not to mention the other good shakes in multiple places. Bit unsettling the Earth is.

#1464979 - 04/06/2018 21:08 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Mad Elf #1.5]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yeh Mad Elf, it's a bit of a worry.

There's some video of the eruption in Guatemala of the volcanic activity on face-book I have just seen and it is incredible. Sad too, as some people have been killed and some missing.

I had a suspicion about Mayotte too when all the quakes started there. Other places [volcanoes] may also be irritated too at the moment - to add to the number of volcanoes of concern.

I reckon we may even see some undersea volcanoes, as well as the ones onland, crop up with some activity too.

Kilauea is and has been a concerning series of activity. There's no end in immediate sight for the problems this volcano and its sister vents there.

Check out Volcano Discovery's list of active/erupting volcanoes atm..
Volcano Discovery
Heard Island [Australia] has picked up some activity too.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (04/06/2018 21:11)

#1465184 - 07/06/2018 15:19 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I have been watching the pattern of tremors on Hawaii Big Island. It has become and is predictable [by degrees] of when an M5, or thereabouts, is going to occur on the summit [Kilauea]. Multiple and flurries of small tremors happen within a few hours or less, culminating in M4+'s. Once relieved, it goes moderately quiet, with a few rumbles dissipating in the surrounds [Mauna Loa] and on the summit [Kilauea]. Then it rebuilds with tremors, one after the other, and an M5'ish occurs, to relieve the pressure again [Kilauea].
As I type this post, it has gone quiet, very momentarily.

Hawaii Big Island tremor map - updating

Catch up with more later, Duck.

#1465405 - 11/06/2018 11:11 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

In the past you have seen me rattle on about some of the possible EQ precursors, and especially animal behaviours. I stumbled across this great Youtube video on just this topic [animal behaviors]. Within this great video, my dear long-distance friend and geologist, Jim Berkland, [now passed] is interviewed regarding some of his observations. He predicted the Loma Prieta EQ in 1989 [amongst others], but his observations were not given credence pre-Loma Prieta. A wonderful soul lost to science when he passed away. Bless him.

Hawaii's tremors are behaving as I anticipated - as mentioned in my previous post. I wonder how long this volcanic activity will continue on?

Victoria has had another tremor, in the Hume region at M2.8. There have been some very subtle vibrations here and there in Vic and the seismo's have shown what I think is such, separate from the effect of other quakes in the Pacific west and south of Oz.

There are many 'usual' tremors/quakes coming up in places in the west Pacific. The Mediterranean, European, Middle East and Asian regions are also feeling rather typical tremors here and there. A quake came up at the 'top' of the Mid Atlantic Ridge [Arctic] and it may be that the ridges [e.g. Antarctic ridges as well] in the southern part of the planet may come up with an odd M5 here and there.

May catch up with some more soon, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (11/06/2018 11:14)

#1465900 - 18/06/2018 13:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
FNQ Bunyip Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: North bank river Daintree
Have not dropped in here for a very long time .
But the usgs site is now at 4901 in 7 days , WOW I've been watching that site for quite a few years now and have never seen it anywhere near that high.
Who knows whats ahead, but it could be a big one.

Cheers
2018 Rainfall

#1466079 - 19/06/2018 19:45 Re: Earthquakes [Re: FNQ Bunyip]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Yep FNQ Bunyip, Hawaii is not letting up. It does make you wonder if Madam Pele has something bigger in the horizon or she is periodically relieving energies with the, what is now quite predictable, M5's after clusters of smaller tremors. I hope nothing bigger is going to happen, but the landscape is changing and evolving each hour and day. Incredible to see.

We just had another little rattle here about 20 minutes ago. Had the window I was sitting next to [and the wall] on the eastern side of my house rattle a little. Felt it through the floorboards as well. It may have correlated with one of two movements showing up on the Narracan seismo in Gippsland. We may be in for another recordable movement yet...?

There have been many decent tremors coming up in the Pacific overall region. Sadly, the quake in Japan has claimed a few lives and caused some damage. The energy has also been present across to the west [over the top of Oz - other countries] and through to Burma and near the Himalayas.

Alaska is rattling along with a few more tremors than I have seen for a while. There may be an M5'ish on the horizon for the Gulf of Alaska yet...??

Similarly the western regions, generally, of the U.S. is rattling along with tremors. Some of this, I feel, may again translate into the western offshore of Canada [Cascadia general region].

I get a feeling that we may see an M6 around the middle west Pacific region [the ear] at some point. Maybe from PNG or over to the Kermadecs [north of NZ]. Equally, I feel that the offshore eastern coast regions of Japan may be showing enough messy energy to come up with an M6'ish or higher.

The Mediterranean somewhere may come up with an M6 also..??

The Atlantic Ridge is behaving as I thought it would [didn't mention this in my posts]. Throwing up M4+'s along its length in some spots.
West of Spain somewhere may come up with an M5'ish..???

Somewhere in the lower half of Africa [not meaning Mayotte, which may continue to feel the odd M5] may come up with an M5..??

So many volcanoes are erupting at the moment, which doesn't surprise me. My thoughts are - with Hawaii continually going off for so long [meaning its intensity in the last month], something is driving some other volcanoes to reactivate too. We may see some other, which may have thought of as dormant or 'extinct', volcanic regions or locations show some minor activity too. Will wait and see if I am imagining this possibility.

Take everything I say with a pinch-of-salt [as usual]. I may be wrong with my interpretation or suspicions of what I have mentioned above.

Cheers for now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (19/06/2018 19:46)

#1466136 - 20/06/2018 15:18 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Wave Rider Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia...ocid=spartanntp

4.7 magnitude earthquake near Norseman, WA this morning.

2017-18 storm total= 11
Oct 25th
Nov 6th(3), 17th
Dec 2nd, 14th
Jan 2nd(2), 8th(2), 9th

#1466146 - 20/06/2018 18:23 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
cold@28 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Chillagoe
Interesting. Several others in the last few days too. All of them shallow at 10km.

#1466300 - 23/06/2018 22:42 Re: Earthquakes [Re: cold@28]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Have been quietly watching Hawaii - still an incredible and ongoing situation there. In amongst that quiet observation/watching of mine, I have been suspecting that the current activity may migrate NW towards the other Hawaiian islands. A couple [at least] of tremors have come up towards the islands to the NW. I hope my suspicions of this 'maybe' gravitation are wrong.

Western Australia, as you mentioned cold@28, has had a little flurry of tremors in relation to that M4+. Interesting movements. Other spots in WA have niggled too. A while back I suggested that Oz may see an M4+ at some point - but didn't say it was WA, just somewhere in Oz.

The Vic border with SA near the southern coastline came up with a good little M3+ on the 19th of June. I mentioned in a last post that I felt a tiny tremor here [not the first and only in the last 2 weeks] and nothing has been formally recorded by Geoscience - they musn't have found a tremor recording on the instruments they monitor. I reckon we will feel a recordable one soon though.

At the moment NSW, QLD, NT and Tassie are 'quiet'. SA has had a niggle or two. But I think SA may come up with a small run of 'smallish' tremors soon. There may be another 'spot' in Oz to come up with a tremor, but dunno where yet [been to distracted to concentrate on such].

As I mentioned in my last post, re: suspecting a quake may come up in a location in the southern half [somewhere] of Africa and not just Mayotte, south of Mankoeng, South Africa, came up with an interesting M3 in the mountain ranges there.

There has been some energy sneaking around the Caribbean and the northern regions of South America.

I am waiting for some energy to translate into the offshore region/s of western Canada.

Eastern U.S./Canada may come up with a tremor or two..???

Pinch-of-salt with all I have said smile

For now, Duck.

#1466323 - 24/06/2018 12:25 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wynnum SE Brisbane
Gezzzz Hawaii is rattling away today

#1466327 - 24/06/2018 12:59 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi tsunami and all.

Yep, Hawaii is rattling moreso today by the looks of the USGS maps -
USGS earthquake map

Honolulu Civil Beat has a live Youtube vid showing the sea entry from a distance, amongst other scenes. Incredible.

I am hoping that the increased seismic activity today is not signalling a large eruption and/or a serious injection of magma in the chamber/s, from which the pressure maybe also causing tremors to come up in locations away from the volcano activity.

For the moment, Duck.

#1466329 - 24/06/2018 13:35 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hope all this activity isnt a irritation yo casscadia

#1466348 - 24/06/2018 18:18 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
petethemoskeet Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: toowoomba
Tsunami could you please explain yo casscadia

#1466397 - 25/06/2018 10:54 Re: Earthquakes [Re: petethemoskeet]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi all.

Cascadia may not be, in my very amateur opinion, directly affected by the volcanic/tremor activity in Hawaii. I am tempted to think that Cascadia may be more inclined to be affected, by degrees, by the energy activity produced by or fed into [from possibly the activity in western U.S. - including the San Andreas] the complex plates and the edges of such in that region west of Canada. Western Canada is not devoid of potential volcanic activity, as with so many places on the Earth, there are undersea mounds [of varying types of volcanic activity] as well as possibly onland near this region, which may - emphasizing may or may not - include volcanic activity in the future.

There have been times, in the past, where surprise volcanic activity has occurred in locations where such occurrences have been least expected or where ancient landforms/old volcanoes or mounds were once considered least likely to 'move' or re-invigorate, have suddenly or stealthily shown slight or greater activity. Most volcanic activity, as I currently understand it, usually produces signs or signals of potential activity via tremors - felt or unfelt by humans. Other subtle signs could be land cracking, subsidence, land raising, smells [like sulfurous pongs], undersea discolourations, and the potentail for so many other signs - all in varying degrees from unnoticable to humans or downright obvious [very expressed behaviours].

Someone once asked me in this thread, if I feel we may see volcanic activity in, on or around Australia at some time. I am gonna throw it out there and say "Yep". When? Well that's another question which perhaps not many people can answer. It may only be very minor or something slightly 'bigger'. But it is not for me to predict anything like that - though I do have some intuitive suspicions that one day - sometime in the future - it may happen.
Early in the 20th Century, around the turn of the Century, a sea captain observed what he believed to be volcanic steam rising off one part of the coast of Victoria. Not many, if anyone, believed him - but I do. If I can find the report on Trove about his, from the captain, I will post it here again.

We don't want to forget about our volcanic past, but we also don't want to become worried that somewhere on Oz we will see an 'Hawaii' style volcanic event. We just don't know what our future holds - to a degree. Our volcanic activity might be quite different to Hawaii.

For now, Duck.

#1466398 - 25/06/2018 11:03 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Thanks duck
To the question above yo was a typo

As for casscadia there is heaps of info on this subductionzone. Its one to hope doent rupture in the next few hundred years

#1466441 - 26/06/2018 02:13 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
Jarek Offline
Cloud Gazer

Loc: Brisbane
Originally Posted By: tsunami
Thanks duck
To the question above yo was a typo

As for casscadia there is heaps of info on this subductionzone. Its one to hope doent rupture in the next few hundred years

Hi, so youre saying that this erthquakes are returning after few hundred years periodically?

Page 137 of 139 < 1 2 ... 135 136 137 138 139 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 334 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Caldoche, David Obeid, desblair, Morrisjub, rmj007, rummy21, StormQueen
Forum Stats
29636 Members
32 Forums
23952 Topics
1495993 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image