Page 138 of 144 < 1 2 ... 136 137 138 139 140 ... 143 144 >
Topic Options
#1466454 - 26/06/2018 09:03 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wynnum SE Brisbane
On average casscadia ruptures every 300 years. It is currently well over 300 years as the last one occurred January 26th 1700

#1466525 - 27/06/2018 09:46 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
batty Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Finch Hatton Gorge
Originally Posted By: tsunami
On average casscadia ruptures every 300 years. It is currently well over 300 years as the last one occurred January 26th 1700

yes I saw that documented research too up in Oregon sediment samples taken from inland swamps proved this theory.

#1466568 - 27/06/2018 17:28 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
Well it needs to behave a while longer. I am going back next year in June , July. Itís a beautiful coastline , be a mind blowing event if it letís go in my lifetime. Hope it doesnít. As progress over there just ploughs ahead no matter the risk.

#1466652 - 28/06/2018 22:41 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Seina Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Adelaide Hills
Might want to check that 300-year average smile ...not quite sure about it.

Edited by Seira (28/06/2018 22:42)

#1466659 - 29/06/2018 06:47 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
batty Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Finch Hatton Gorge
information found here

Cascadia fault----->

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47jlCYhqm4Q&t=14s

#1466689 - 29/06/2018 23:21 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Seina Offline

Loc: Adelaide Hills
Hi batty smile ,

Thanks for the link.

Edited by Seira (29/06/2018 23:24)

#1467009 - 06/07/2018 21:21 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Seina]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi finally folks.

Very interesting video batty. Very informative.

Interesting night too. One large meteorite zoomed west to east about an hour ago [or less]. Must have been pretty close, as it looked bigger than a shooting star. And I have noticed ribbed clouds currently east of Anglesea - offshore [Bass Strait] - due south of Geelong.

Have missed a fair bit of the EQ activity in the last week, but was aware of the fairly quick succession of quakes in the west of the Pacific - particularly around Japan and the Philippines.

I knew PNG would come up with some quakes, and was going to post what I thought a couple of days ago until my computer mucked up - now replaced. I get a feeling we may see an M6 east or NE of Australia, near the islands of the Pacific.

I also get a bit of a feeling that in the far NE of the Indian Ocean, we may see a moderately larger quake there - somewhere associated with the Bay of Bengal.

Britain has had a tremor - which I think marries into the recent activity of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge behaviours.

The 'ear' in the western Pacific has been and is behaving as I recently said it may - around the Pacific Islands.

Hawaii is still rumbling along with predictable M5's volcanic explosions. Sinkholes are starting to show up in the ground here and there, the latest near Kona.

Kamchatka is rocking along and I feel the energy producing these quakes may translate into Japan's activity and help produce an M6'ish.

The Adriatic Sea may feel an M4'ish. As may somewhere near or around Crete. For some reason the name Islamabad id sticking in my 'sight' atm.. As well as the Black Sea. May mean nothing.

Pinch-of-salt with all I say - I could be wrong folks.

There are other quakes and tremors, as always, that come up or have occurred, but I've only mentioned a few areas for now.

For now, Duck.

#1467450 - 16/07/2018 21:23 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Australia, in the last week, has come into another round of tremor activity, particularly WA, SA and NSW. Vic came into the picture just before the 7 days [ago]. So, the southern half of the continent has been the main focus of tremor activity till now. Soe more will pop up here and there.

The NE of the Indian Ocean came up with the EQ's I was anticipating.

The SW of the Indian Ocean came up with a quake, which was then followed on by a larger quake in the NW of the Indian Ocean region. The Indian Ocean doesn't come up that often with quakes, even though it has a history like the other oceans. Considering there have been a few in the last week, it may indicate there could be another to come up somewhere. Maybe near Mayotte or inland of Africa - near Tanzania or Sth Africa...????

New Zealand has seen a couple of moderate quakes. One occurred while I was talking to a friend in Christchurch. Nerves were a little on edge as the memories of Christchurch's devastating quake came immediately to mind. Cook Strait has missed tremor activity of M3 or more currently [to the best of my knowledge - without checking facts yet]. But a tremor may come up in the near future and/or somewhere in relation to the lower parts of the South Island.

Poor old Big Island, Hawaii, will not let up with tremoring, leading up to those predictable M5+ volcanic explosions. Apparently a new small 'island' in building in the sea south of Big Island, where the main lava flow is entering the sea. This 'island' is spewing its own lava near a central point of this new outcrop [in the sea].

Alaska has been receiving numerous small and medium tremors lately - more than usual I think. The west coastal regions of the U.S. are also seeing what looks like raised numbers of tremors near the coast and inland in a vast region/s. The central/eastern side of the U.S. is reasonably active too.

I get a feeling China, well inland, may come up with an M6 -could be wrong.
Easter Island may too - could be wrong.

For now, Duck.

#1467822 - 24/07/2018 21:53 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Gee time flies [since my last post].

Victoria has had 4 tremors in the last couple of days. That's an interesting run of tremors in a short space of time. My cats were behaving strangely in the last few days, as were the birds around here. I felt a very small rumble late yesterday arvo, but it wasn't registered with Geoscience - may have been unrecordable'ish.
Near orange in NSW had a nice little rumble recently too - an M3.8, which is on the slightly larger size to that of most of our tremors. We do, as you all know, get larger tremors in Oz, and maybe another M4'ish or a little more is brewing somewhere on our continent. Considering the SE of Oz [including NSW] is feeling a bit if energy atm..

I have otherwise been quite out of touch with earthquaky stuff in the last week or so. But have noticed all of the activity in the west of the Pacific and some jiggles in NZ. I have been distracted again with other things.

Hope to catch up with my attention to the EQ happenings soon.

For now, old Duck.

#1468244 - 03/08/2018 19:54 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks, boy time flies smile

The west of the Pacific, including into Indonesia [and north of], over to the west of Indonesia, and further westish up into the east of the Bay of Bengal and almost everywhere inbetween, have been quite active.

China finally came more-so into the EQ picture in recent days, as I was waiting for it to do so. Closer to the Himalayan range, still in China, the activity there, generally NE and ENE of Kathmandu, has been reasonably active. The latest, an M5.3, has come up about 600kms NE again from the last 2 quakes. It seems that the energy is being driven in from the south [in relation to the Himalayas - a basic observation] and up through China. [?]

From Islamabad and up towards Afghanistan, there is activity where it seems the plate edge [inland] bends up into this region/s. This, in my amateur mind, seems to correspond possibly with the energy being driven into China to the east - could it be that the same energy is responsible for energy causing the quakes in Islamabad and up into Afghanistan??

Hawaii is still rocking along with its issues surrounding the volcanic activities there. Those predictable M5+ volcanic explosions are still occurring.

Finally the west coast [offshore of Oregon] in the complex plates region, south of Canada at this point in time, has felt some pressure in the plate edges an given off a few quakes. The largest one was an M5.3. This energy may eventually start showing up west of the coast of Canada.

Generally speaking, almost the whole of the Pacific region, around the periphery has been quite active in recent days. Nearly 70% [very rough guess] of most coasts on the continents have had some good tremors. Included in the countries surrounding the Pacific Ocean [including the more southern oceans] NZ and a couple of spots near the Mariana Trench regions, as well as the Pacific Islands, have also felt some quakes.

It seems that the western side of the plate - running parallel to the eastern side of Japan [leading up to Kamchatka] is quite active [last 7 days]. I am wondering if offshore SE of Hokkaido may come up with a quake too at some point.

The central and east of North America is behaving as I suspected it may. Many tremors coming up around the general Oklahoma regions and even further east again in the States.

Central America and the Caribbean are active too. An M5 may come up in a Caribbean region yet.

Australia has had mini runs of tremors in WA, SA, Vic., and NSW. Even Queensland scored a sneaky tremor too near the coast.

Interestingly and thankfully, we haven't seen an M7+ or M7++ yet. It will be a matter of time before we do see one come up though. It could happen tomorrow, next week or in a month. No-one can really say when, unless unusual clustering occurs somewhere or what can even happen is a location with no recent and observable activity can come up with a unsuspected larger quake. Sometimes you get a hint of the potential for a larger quake and sometimes they come as a surprise.
Let's hope it is not in a populated area. I get a gut feeling that the next large quake will not occur as an isolated event. I think there may be one onland and one which will cause some sea behaviour activity.

Anyway, till I catch up with more, for now, Duck.

#1468354 - 06/08/2018 07:01 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Mad Elf #1.5 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Hallen QLD
A 6.9 EQ doing a bit if damage in northern Lombok, Indonesia, this morning, a few little ones afterwards. Must be a very unstable area atm.

#1468423 - 06/08/2018 21:07 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Mad Elf #1.5]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Yep Mad Elf, that was a nasty quake in Lombok - the second and largest of the quakes to also cause sadly deaths in this region. The buoy south of Indonesia showed a near one metre deviation [sudden and immediate] in relation to the largest quake. 2 buoys went off north of Australia at the same time.
There had been a bit of an uptick in quakes along the Indonesian south coast [north of Oz] in rather a short space of time [during the past week], which to me indicated the potential for a larger movement somewhere in Indonesia.

Notice how Australia came up with two tremors today, post the quakes in Indonesia? One came up near the NW WA coast and the other in NT [Great Sandy Desert]. I'll stick my neck out and say that these 2 tremors and the quakes tracking up the far west coast of Indonesia [far NE of the Indian Ocean] are related bu causal energies.

It seem that the quakes, today, are tracking west along the north of the Australian Plate as it connects with Indonesia, north of WA and NT, possibly heading back into the Bay of Bengal east coasts.

ESE of Hokkaido, offshore, came up with quakes as I thought it would.

The Himalayas may come up some more quakes, as may the far north region somewhere of the Arabian Sea.

Alaska is still rocking along with tremors. They may end up with an M4+ soon.

The Mediterranean, maybe towards Crete, Turkey and Greece, may come up with the odd M4 or M4+ soon.

Italy may too feel a mini run of tremors or a couple of M2+'s, possiby and M4...????

I may be wrong with my ramblings above and , as always, there are other locations on the planet feeling tremors too that I haven't talked about here.

For now, Duck.

#1468525 - 08/08/2018 21:23 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
teckert Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: NE suburbs, Adelaide, South Au...
3.2 near Mannum SA.... widely felt across Adelaide Hills and suburbs, incl. me

#1468549 - 09/08/2018 15:55 Re: Earthquakes [Re: teckert]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Yep teckert, a couple of nice little mover and shakers for SA and WA. As you mention, that SA M3.3 was felt widely with about 460 reports from the locals. The WA was an M4.3 was also felt by many and reported to Geoscience - with 31 reports so far.

For two reasonably sized quakes to be felt by so many in lower Oz, I wonder if another location in the south may also come up with an M3+. Goodness knows my ears have been ringing off the hook like an unanswered phone call in the last few days - not that that means they are EQ predictors, but you never know smile

The location, and surrounds, of the devastating Indonesian quake/s will go on to feel the odd tremors, with the possible chance of another medium sized quake coming up somewhere along the vast Indonesian coast somewhere.

For now, till I get more of a chance to focus on the global quakes, Duck.

#1468554 - 09/08/2018 18:21 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petros Offline

Loc: Maffra, Central Gippsland, Vi...
Daughter reported another decent tremor in Bali this arvo, sending the locals fleeing from the shops. NOthing like the event earlier in the week in terms of impact at Bali.

Feel for those on Lombock.

#1468683 - 12/08/2018 11:34 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petros]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Yes Petros, the poor folks on Lombock have had a really rough deal with the recent quakes. I hope they can rebuild their lives very soon.

I was chatting to an interesting person during the week [who has an association with the buoys in the oceans]. He was interested in my thoughts on precursors for quakes and volcanic activity [associated ground signals]. You know what happens when two EQ nerds get a conversation going on such a subject - the hours seem like minutes. smile
I told him I have no formal 'science' perspectives or qualifications in any science field and that I only run on my 'gut' feelings and what my intuition [and sometimes hearing] senses tell me. And, that I am not always right. None-the-less he was curious, as he had heard of 'sensitives' before. I don't call myself a 'sensitive', but rather an auditory and visual observer of sorts.

Anyway, the general conversation, as mentioned above, got me thinking about the Japanese and Greek perspectives [which is not that of all scientists - just a few] on pre- earthquake and volcanic signals. A post on my FB page feed [which I only visit in brief bursts every day or two] came up today, which reminded me of some info on the subject of such signals. The first link is the one which came up on my FB page. The second link is more scientific in nature.

Elecromagnetic signals 'can predict earthquakes'

Electric and magnetic phenomena.......

Consider in this 'picture' too, my often said perspective [and one which my dear late friend, Jim Berkland, believed too] on animal behaviours, including birds and sea life.
Not all animal unusual [to the human eye] behaviours can be credited to pre earthquake and volcanic behaviours of course, but an intuitive observation of altered behaviours, such as dog/cat anxiety, frogs/snakes etc., coming to the surface from underground [in some cases], bird silences, etc. etc, may be due to their sensing of not only ground movements we humans don't always feel, but the elements discussed in the above article/links.

Since I was a little kid, I was always sensitive to changes in 'nature' and the behaviour of animals. This doesn't make me special of course, just annoying sometimes cool and sometimes drawing strange looks from my kids when I tell them things crazy

Anyway, more on the actual EQ's soon.

Cheers Duck.

#1468741 - 13/08/2018 20:26 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Mad Elf #1.5 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Seems Northern Alaska has taken top spot for EQ activity from Hawaii last few days. Strange place for EQ's to be happening all the way up there?

#1468742 - 13/08/2018 20:48 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Mad Elf #1.5]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

This is rather interesting Mad Elf....

Found two articles on this area. The first article link below is from the beginning of January - re: oil exploration and seismic testing proposals.....

January article - read this one first...

I think they received some seismic activity this week that is such a coincidence with the interest in this site [Alaska north] - probably just a coincidence......and a wee surprise.

2nd article - August 2018 - in response to latest earthquake flurry.

For now, Duck.

#1468748 - 13/08/2018 21:52 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Mad Elf #1.5 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yea, bit sus.
Hmm, coincidence my foot.
See how long this coincidence lasts.

#1468761 - 14/08/2018 08:16 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Mad Elf #1.5]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

The quakes may have just been a coincidence, but the 'activity' [anything to do with the oil] is interesting wink

I didn't get a chance yesterday to keep my posts going in regard to our tremors, but I photographed some long lasting, stationary, thick ribbed clouds - which were hovering in the direction of SE Victoria. Who felt the M3 this morning? I woke up at the time of the tremor, not sure if I felt a faint movement [ground, under the house that is].
Interestingly, I have been getting many more mountain birds at my place recently. There was a bit of a flurry of them in the last couple of days. I live near the Dandy Ranges, but the variety of forest birds dropping into my property is lovely and curious.

NSW has also come up with two tremors - Crookwell and West Wyalong - M1.9 and M2.5 respectively.

Oz is having a less concerted run of tremors currently, but I see the current tremors as a new lazier run, in the last week or so, possibly responding to the tremors/quakes in the Southern Ocean and Indonesia.
The quake south of Tassie, near Macquarie Island, I feel is related to the energy causing tremors/eq's in NZ.

For the moment, Duck.

Page 138 of 144 < 1 2 ... 136 137 138 139 140 ... 143 144 >

Who's Online
24 registered (scott12, Dawoodman, DDstorm, bundybear, grayarea, polly, ozone doug, Wet Snow, Wezza, plucka99, Steve O, UHF_CH10, Rhino, avinet, Raindammit, DarrylS, Flowin, ol mate, Simon James, 5 invisible), 238 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Conor McDonald, dmhwce, LittleDavey83, Michael Lee, Nero
Forum Stats
29700 Members
32 Forums
24026 Topics
1506152 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image