NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 16 of 30 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 29 30 >
Topic Options
#1469790 - 31/08/2018 10:10 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: Simmo FNQ]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: El Arish
Heard a pair of storm birds in the neighbours paddock this morning.

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.

#1469889 - 01/09/2018 09:31 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: Raindammit]
Cow Bay Bob Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Cow Bay QLD Australia
Pretty Dry Winter here at Cow Bay. Only 8mm for August Gives us a Tally of 320 mm for the Three Months of Winter . The Last 5 year average for winter here is 442 mm. Year to Date Tally of 3210 mm

#1469954 - 02/09/2018 12:23 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: Raindammit]
cold@28 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Chillagoe
I was hoping for a bit of humidity back in the air again, but it's still dry. Hot too 35C.

#1469958 - 02/09/2018 15:14 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: Raindammit]
cold@28 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

37.7C

#1469959 - 02/09/2018 16:30 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: Raindammit]
cold@28 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

4.30pm and its still 36.6C
This shouldn't happen til October.
For heavens sake I've still got the doona on the bed. Time to put it away...

#1469960 - 02/09/2018 18:28 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: cold@28]
hickory Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Holloways Beach QLD
Originally Posted By: cold@28
4.30pm and its still 36.6C
This shouldn't happen til October.
For heavens sake I've still got the doona on the bed. Time to put it away...

You need to give up living in the desert, and move to the coast.
Far nicer and nearly always a breeze to move the air around. wink

#1469966 - 02/09/2018 19:52 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: Raindammit]
cold@28 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I live here because I could afford it without debt. Thankfully it's a good community, and an interesting lanscape. It has a lot of pluses. But I think I must be a reincarnated south pacific islander, considering the climate I prefer.

#1469984 - 03/09/2018 00:23 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: cold@28]
marakai Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Maryfarms NQ
I live here because I could afford it without debt. Thankfully it's a good community, and an interesting lanscape. It has a lot of pluses. But I think I must be a reincarnated south pacific islander, considering the climate I prefer.

You do make me giggle at times C@28,
I grew up in Darwin, can't even swim in the creek's around here most of the year due to the temp of the water, get up over the knees then get a couple of lumps in my throat so to speak.
Been one of the consistent coldest winters we have had for a good 15 years or so out this way this year, day time temps have only picked up over the last three days since May or June with the old Mercury gauge hitting +30 over the last couple of days but the nights are still cold for now with just over 15 now and sub 14-13 the last I checked over the previous few nights. A week back we were down around the 5-8 mark over night.

It's going to be a great Mango and Lychee/Rambutan season this wet as a result, I'm sure you will be hitting Rusty's as it all comes into fruit C@28.

#1469986 - 03/09/2018 06:45 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: marakai]
cold@28 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: marakai

You do make me giggle at times C@28,
I grew up in Darwin, can't even swim in the creek's around here most of the year due to the temp of the water, get up over the knees then get a couple of lumps in my throat so to speak.
Been one of the consistent coldest winters we have had for a good 15 years or so out this way this year, day time temps have only picked up over the last three days since May or June with the old Mercury gauge hitting +30 over the last couple of days but the nights are still cold for now with just over 15 now and sub 14-13 the last I checked over the previous few nights. A week back we were down around the 5-8 mark over night.

It's going to be a great Mango and Lychee/Rambutan season this wet as a result, I'm sure you will be hitting Rusty's as it all comes into fruit C@28.

LOL :))

By your name I thought so. I've spent time in Darwin on and off. I tend to go up in the WetSeason but it's been a few years now. As for swimming, too many crocs. But I remember one year it being so cold that I could only just manage 2 laps of the Casuarina pool.

This morning it's 18C which is normal. It's actually been a pretty nice Dry till the last few weeks when it's gotten really dry. We had a couple brisk days that I had to put a flanny on outside. We did have some winter nights, but can't remember exactly when. Mostly just pleasantly cool. (That means 20-25 for me).

I think the last time we had cold days was 2011. It was the last time we saw decent rain too, apres Yasi.

#1469998 - 03/09/2018 09:08 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: Raindammit]
WANDJINA G'vale Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gordonvale - Qld
Dry and cool for sure this year

Mangoes flowered like crazy and I see people picking green mangoes near wrights Crk yesterday, or at least I think that's what they were doing

Daisey Bates - The passing of the aborigines

YouTube - Coppertropicals - earthquake prediction

#1470019 - 03/09/2018 14:32 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: Raindammit]
cold@28 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Another 37.7 degrees today, with 11% humidity.
For some reason it feels way better than yesterday. Yesterday was like a locked sauna.

The mangoes flowering look wonderful west of Mareeba, although some seem to be still in shock at Arriga after their brutal hedge pruning.

#1470020 - 03/09/2018 14:34 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: Raindammit]
scott12 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: maadi Tully area
Pluses in Chilligoe ,28..?....Hmmmmm..does that mean there is at least 2 pubs...?

Yeah way to cold at night still down here...13-14c is not good... too hot for a blanket and then cold when I kick it off...

27-28c days are just about perfect with endless good boating weather.....yesterday was as flat it can possibly get..

First march fly of the season a couple of days ago..I dread what effect this super dry weather will have when the first rain comes..I might have to invest in one of those beekeeping suits..

All the grass around El Arish has turned brown already...never seen that happen by the end of August before...

#1470023 - 03/09/2018 15:04 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: Raindammit]
cold@28 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yeah, 2 pubs, neither of which I use unless there's an event of some type. grin

We do get march flies but I don't think we get them like you do Scott. I do however get swarms of tiny tiny teensy bugs & gnats. They fly around the lights. You can't read in bed as they fall into the bedding and bite during the night. I think they're my biggest pet hate.

Grass still brown of course. Even watering daily plants look wilted at the end of the day.

Still on water restrictions. Water table not replenished. No-one mentions there's 150 people living in the mining camp and helping to deplete it.

Am so so so looking forward to some rain, and a few spectacular storms hopefully. Can't be too long now.

#1470038 - 03/09/2018 18:21 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: Raindammit]
scott12 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: maadi Tully area
Haha..yeah I'm not a pub guy either...

and, no, most people have not experienced a March fly invasion like we get here at times, particularly when they first hatch out in late September.......I have no screens on any windows either so its gets a bit crazy here..we try and avoid having wwoofers,visitors and family at this time....nothing worse than other people telling us how intolerable it is when we they can leave and we just have to battle on and deal with it...lol..

Just ask Yasi-shack...sometimes you can be lubed up with whatever repellent you use(we use Dettol/baby oil mixture)and still they don't settle on your body but there are so many and they are so frantic that they are crashing into your mouth,eyes,bumping into your body and all over really...literally swarms of them...I have watched as people's hands,arms,legs and whole body are basically in constant motion trying to stop the attack..and that honestly is no exaggeration at all...that's mainly during the first hatchout periods which also co-inside with the school holidays..every year we are also on Hinchnbrook island during part of that period and so we then have to deal with the marchies and the Midges which are even worse I reckon...

We certainly have no problems getting rid of unwanted visitors during this period...I have a little black staffie so she is just totally miserable during this time..

So what the deal with the mining out there 28..Is it a good thing or bad or a bit of both...?

#1470050 - 03/09/2018 19:44 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: Raindammit]
cold@28 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Don't think I've ever experienced march flies that bad anywhere Scott. The worst was being attacked on a short walk in the Blue Mountains in the 1970s, we had to run back to the car.

Out here it's smart to be covered when out in the yard, but otherwise not a major problem. Thank heaven.

The mine. Company called Auctus owns it now, part of Newcrest. Silver lead zinc and gold I think. It's given work to some of the locals, but a number of people drive in/drive out, enough to warrant a camp.

Don't know whether it's good or bad. The previous company went bust leaving big debt to the small businesses in Chillagoe and Mount Garnet. I don't have much faith in mining, and occasionally wonder if this is just a tax dodge or something. The mining boom is over as far as I can see. #oldandcynical

#1470198 - 05/09/2018 10:06 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: cold@28]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yeah, the marchies arrive pretty well on cue every year.Usually after the 22nd you have your first hatch out then by the second week of the school holidays it is full on.

But for the last 2-3 years they have not been so bad here, the kids normally go out on a mission on the last week of the school holidays with fly swats and they squash every single one of the blighters that they see. So it may have helped to reduce the numbers, the week after that the seem to drop right off again.

Ah well, looks like the dry is finally here, and the winter has left, guess it is time to start complaining?
Geez it's hot, geez it is dry now...we could sure use some rain! grin

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.

#1470230 - 05/09/2018 18:02 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Well my weather station is saying that rain is on the way, but the wife says no.
Wonder who will be right? laugh

#1470233 - 05/09/2018 18:39 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
cold@28 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: @_Yasified_shak
Well my weather station is saying that rain is on the way, but the wife says no.
Wonder who will be right? laugh

I can have humidity of 4% yet my Oregon weather station will always tell me it's raining, now.

#1470250 - 06/09/2018 09:01 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: Raindammit]
ozone doug Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Roma SW QLD Eye to the West...
The weather icons are only a rough idea and need to be set at the correct hpa to even get close to what is happening .More of a gimmick but is fair if set right. try setting it to sunny on a clear day and see how it goes. I had an elderly friend that took 2 weather stations back to Jaycar because the icons were out lol .Then he told me and i set it up properly the hpa and calculation for correction for wind speed at the height it is mounted hes happy now lol.He didn't read the instructions and thought it was plug and play .Cold @ 28 ha ha 4% not gonna rain lol.

#1470258 - 06/09/2018 10:14 Re: Far North Queensland Dry Season - Cardwell Northwards - 2018 [Re: Raindammit]
cold@28 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

The weather station is 20+ years old. A few years ago I finally realised I could set the altitude, but it doesn't make any difference. There's nothing else that can be set.

I just ignore it now, but it really does seem farcical to see rain when the humidity is extremely low like now and not a cloud in the sky, anywhere, for days or weeks.

The clock has slowed down and can't be used any longer. Think it's time to get another one....but I just spent all my money on a new phone.

Edited by cold@28 (06/09/2018 10:15)

Page 16 of 30 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 29 30 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
benny200, ChaseNZ, ptera, stormymick1, ThunderstormZ, typhoonbeach
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image