NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 147 of 154 < 1 2 ... 145 146 147 148 149 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1492435 - 25/02/2019 11:32 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi folks.

Well Australia is on a 'roll' at the moment. M3's popping up all over the place. Finally Tassie has come into the picture with a very shallow M3.2 at 1km deep.

Something we haven't seen for a while is that every state/territory has come up with a tremor within a fairly short space of time - with them showing up now on the Geoscience website - here

Macquarie Island came up with an M5+, which was interesting in that I am thinking that some of the energy causing that quake may be an indicator that the energy causing lower Oz tremors may be related in some way.

I am somewhat drawn again to Bass Strait and maybe the Tasman Sea for another movement. Or somewhere between Tassie and Vic/SA...? Maybe even a niggle in Port Phillip Bay or Western Port Bay [Vic]...?

Leon Mow's seismo has shown quite alot of [energy] irritation in the last couple of days - and it is still going on.

Many of Oz's tremors have been generally hugging or near coastlines. But some have come up inland, which has me wondering if there is a general-ish pressure on our continent, where a tremor could come up in a place where tremors are not common.

Other places on the planet [especially, as I suspected would, western side of South America] have been feeling tremors too, but I'll chat about those soon.

Cheers, for now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (25/02/2019 11:33)

#1493367 - 06/03/2019 22:49 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Been busy with other things, so some catching up may be required soon.

Nearly everywhere I turned today, I saw many words starting with "J". Jam Jerrup, Jerramungup [where todays M3+ was], Judy, Jimmy, James, Jordan, Jindalee, Judd and Jackson. Several other names were similar to Jerramungup but started with a "K". I know that all sound nutty, but it struck me as either a coincidence or has some sort of symbolism for something - or maybe I am just nuts smile

Anyway, the fires in Vic have also distracted me somewhat, as I have friends and family who live on the outskirts of the Bunyip fires on properties. I feel for those folks who have lost homes and animals in any of the many fires in Vic.

That Vic seismo I usually watch is showing some gradual build up [in my mind] of some energy. This may be a sign of a quake coming up in the west of the Pacific near Oz..???

There have been some interesting tremors coming up inland in NSW, well away from the coast. Same with one tremor coming up in inland WA. I feel [just my thoughts] that these inland tremors may a carry-on or referral of energy through the continent from pressures near the coasts - creeping inland, and may not be the last yet.

I feel another M6+ is brewing somewhere in the Pacific or maybe the Southern Ocean...??

For now, Duck. [I am aware of the other quakes and tremors around the globe].

#1493773 - 11/03/2019 10:21 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Mad Elf #1.5 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mt Hallen QLD
Heard on the news this morning an area just NW of Gatton got a magnitude 3 rattle on Saturday afternoon, a seismologist gave his report on local radio that about a dozen people from around Gatton felt it.
Fairly close to where we are, wasnt home but neighbour & the kennels at Spring creek didnt feel a thing.

#1494310 - 14/03/2019 17:35 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Mad Elf #1.5]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi all.

I saw that come up Mad Elf on the 'maps'. Feeling the tremors can be interesting, in that some feel them and some don't. I feel it may be related to the direction the energy is spread. We had a tremor almost centred under my place [fault line] and the folks that felt it, like me, could have sworn many others in my area would have felt it. But it was almost felt in a 'line' from my place and out to Ferntree Gully. Was strange.

I hinted that Hawaii may come up with an M3+ recently. The activity there seemed a little reminiscent of the activity before their larger activity last year, before their M5+ occurred yesterday. I didn't ever think that their volcanic/quake activity was completely settled. My gut was telling me that unfortunately another moderate quake was on the 'horizon'.

The Pacific came up with a few M6's. I also had a gut feeling that this was brewing. There may be a chance [under 50%'ish] that an M7'ish may come up soon. The energy being flung around the Pacific is quite concerted and if the energy producing these M6's is still sneaking around the Pacific, it may produce a larger quake...???

Around the planet [for this year] I reckon we may see a decent quake in or somewhere near Italy or Greece. If not there, maybe somewhere on the periphery of the Mediterranean Sea or other nearby smaller sea.
Japan may go on to feel and M6+ and there may be a kick-back in the Pacific Plate into the Gulf of Alaska or Canada [west] or Central America...????

Australia has been bopping along nicely with tremors and may go on some time to feel an M5 somewhere and/or maybe a place starting with a 'B'. There maybe a tremor off the coast of Queensland and an unusual location inland west of a mountain range somewhere....??

As I always say, take everything I rattle on about with a pinch-of-salt. My feelings may be off/incorrect.

for now, Duck.

#1496035 - 23/03/2019 22:40 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Only been watching the EQ activity here and there.

There has been alot of activity in the west of the Pacific and across the top of Oz [other countries]. This energy driving the Pacific quakes has also been affecting the eastern side of the Pacific.

Leon Mows seismo [Vic] is showing a gradual increase in movement again. This may be in response to [reverberations from] the Pacific and Indonesian activity or may be a sign that another larger quake is brewing in the Pacific or somewhere else nearby to Australia.

It wouldn't surprise me if somewhere along or near the coast of WA, where the nasty cyclone is menacing, there is a tremor of some degree. This is such a super weather event that it may just tip off an earth or undersea movement...???
Similarly for the NT/Gulf of Carpentaria and their cyclone - this may niggle for a tremor...???

There is a bit of a global niggle, with South Africa and Central/East coming up with quakes recently. I am wondering of somewhere north of Tanzania - towards the Red Sea - another tremor/quake may come up at some point...??

I have a mild feeling that NZ may go on to feel an M5 near Cook Strait or either side - either north in the North Island or south in the South Island of the Strait...???

Macquarie Island is on my 'radar' atm....??

For now, Duck.

#1496391 - 27/03/2019 19:01 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

So far I have been wrong about tremors possibly coming up in the Cyclone regions, but I'll still give it a little more time before I declare a failure on my behalf. Sometimes these things [tremors] can show up after an event of this kind - but will see yay or nay.

Tanzania [region] came up with a quake. I was suspecting that north of Tanzania - possibly up and towards the Red Sea may come up with something - but nothing yet.

As far as NZ is concerned, nothing I am aware of [haven't checked their records] has come up in the Cook Strait yet. The focus of the larger [M4 and above] has been north of the North island in the Kermdec regions.

The west coast of the U.S. is particularly niggled at the moment. A previous time I saw this activity an M5 came up SW/W of Eureka [California]. Some of this energy may filter into the west coast of Canada...??

There is an arc of tremors [curving to the east] around Yellowstone. I read somewhere that the emission [steam] from a fumerole near Yellowstone has gone from white to a dirty colour [what this means I dunno].
Tremors have also been creeping into the Mid-centre and beyond [to the east] of the U.S. - New Madrid relative?

Many tremors and some quakes have come up in Alaska - away from the Gulf generally - where I originally thought a moderate quake may come up.
Considering all of the above to do with the eastern side of the Pacific, there is an uptick of activity which may culminate in a larger quake.
Central America came up with the quakes I was anticipating.

Yesterday I finally looked at Ditrianum's latest vid on Ytube and tend to agree with him somewhat that there may be a large quake soon. He is quite worried about the potential of such and it may be a mega-thrust quake. Will see if he is right.

The following are two videos by Geoscience ; one 1964 -> 2014 and the other 1964 -> 2017 of quakes above M4.5 in Australia.
Go to Ytube and enlarge the vids to fill the screen and look for patterns in your region and all of the near shelf related quakes and tremors. Very interesting. Pity, though, these vids don't include every tremor/quake, as the behaviour of activity in our country would be even more interesting. I think I have only, in the past, shown videos of global quake activity, and not these vids?

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (27/03/2019 19:01)

#1496903 - 01/04/2019 17:26 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Mr Buzle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Lake Macquarie NSW
Hey Duck, a lot of quakes in India today! Any comments on what’s going on there?

#1496922 - 01/04/2019 20:21 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Mr Buzle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Mr Buzle and all.

I was just about to finally pop in on this thread around the same time as you, but got distracted smile

I have seen all the incredible activity in the Andaman Islands [India] and have been trying to work out what is going on there. I know there is a trench there where within this region there can be strike-slip events and sea-floor spreading. But I went over to HERE to get better info than I could give on the region.

The planet went eerily quiet fro a short period today after a really good run of '5's' in a short space of time. The 5's behaviour [and up] was what I was waiting for along basically the equator [give or take a few thousand miles- both north and south of the equator]. I have been scratching the back of my head - so to speak - waiting for the even larger quakes to pop up - perhaps 2 or three of them yet....
Will wait and see if this [large quakes] occurs - of course I hope they don't.

I hope that the Andaman quakes don't kick off any volcanic activity or if it is indicative of something of the kind - but may not be.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (01/04/2019 20:21)

#1496930 - 01/04/2019 22:08 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wollongong, NSW, Aus
I feel like we’re majorly overdue for a big quake / tsunami / eruption.

#1496931 - 01/04/2019 22:22 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
Perhaps Andaman quakes are a big slow slide (unlike the sudden release of the Boxing Day quakes and tsunami a bit further south. Agree Kino regards a big one. NZ has been disturbingly quiet...

#1497006 - 02/04/2019 22:36 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

It's gone very quiet again [as I type this note].

As you both, perrywinkle and Kino, mention above - it does feel still a bit ominous for the potential of a larger quake somewhere.

Will see if our feelings and Ditrianum's are right - hope not.

Cheers, Duck.

#1497471 - 12/04/2019 22:32 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wollongong, NSW, Aus
Duck - M7 in Sulawesi, tsunami warnings out.

#1497483 - 13/04/2019 13:46 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Kino]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Kino and all.

I saw that quake come up. It may not have spawned a tsunami, in the truest sense, but I reckon there must have been some water disturbance by degrees. A larger quakes, and that shallow, surely has to do something to the water behaviour. Just before that quake, a buoy in the Coral Sea had registered a jitter - meaning a variation in the 'regular' ebb and flow of the readings.

Also, before that quake, we felt a tiny movement here - which rattled slightly the closed doors here for about 3 seconds -> quiet for 2 seconds -> then rattled again for 3 seconds. Definite ground movement here in Knox. I reported this on the Geoscience website, as did another person just north of Melbourne not long after. But, no tremor has been recorded on their site [Geo] yet. Perhaps a reason for what we felt was the precursor 'movement' driving north into Indonesia [resultant M7] through the Australian Plate?

There was a short flurry of M5's at shallow depth last night [after midnight] in PNG and Samoa. This I feel is related to the energy of the Indonesian quake/s.

Port Macdonnell, west of offshore and west of Mount Gambier, came up with a flurry of tremors - the largest being M3.4. SA also had a run of tremors east of the Spencer Gulf.

WA, north of Perth, has had a nice little run of tremors too.

NZ has mainly had larger tremors north of the North Island. A while back I thought that Cook Strait may come up with at least an M4'ish, but I was wrong.

The quake activity north, NW and west of Oz is rather busy atm.. The Indian Ocean has been sneaking in a few as well. So, I feel that the activity all across from Oman, Himalayas, Indonesia and over to Fiji and NZ hasn't finished yet. Another larger quake, like the recent M7 in Indonesia, may occur. The next one may cause a tsunami by degrees and some onland damage....?

West of Canada may come up with an M5 if Alaska and west USA keep popping up with M4+'s....?

There have been and always will be EQ activity to be mentioned or will occur in places I haven't mentioned in my posts. Usually I just pick areas I am drawn to in the moment...

For now, Duck.

#1497518 - 14/04/2019 20:58 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi all.

Even though there have been some quakes coming up in various places on the planet, 2 locations caught my eye, considering some previous suspicions about these locations I had recently. Namely Hawaii and Japan.

Japan - not far from Nago - had a really quick run of M4's today. That made me feel a little 'uncomfortable'. Such concerted activity with those magnitudes had me cringing a little - querying the potential for larger quake there at some point???

I watched Hawaii yesterday and was not surprised to see some tremor activity filtering into other parts [away from Kilauea related activity] of the Big Island. Their M5+ was definitely not a surprise to me and subsequent rumbles. I hope it is not volcanic behaviour gravitating to other parts of the island....

For now, Duck.

#1497530 - 15/04/2019 11:19 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Interesting night. My dog was going beserk, sniffing the ground and barking [squealing] here and there [unusual for her]. She was so focused on the ground that I had trouble distracting her. This was about 12am. Then at about 1->1.30am there were 2 explosive sounds and some weak rattling. Many reports showed up on FB of people reporting some houses rattling and two loud bangs. This sound and some movement was reported in a vast area, including the Knox district and mostly regions near the Dandenong Ranges. Nothing has been discovered 'above-ground' so far, such as gas cylinders, other gas explosions or anything else 'above-ground'.
We had rattles the other night, as I mentioned previously, and my dog was worried then too.
Will see if Geoscience records anything - especially since so many suburbs around here heard and felt it/them.

For now, Duck.

#1497828 - 23/04/2019 12:33 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wynnum SE Brisbane
5.3 of vancover island 4 hrs ago. Wonder if its precourser movement for casscadia

#1497923 - 25/04/2019 18:25 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
Bass Strait tremor again. Over the 'hot spot'. https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2015...stralia/6769360

#1498045 - 28/04/2019 20:04 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks, finally back smile

There was a tremor [another one] reported today, as reported at this stage only by the Seismology Research Centre. It was an M1.4 at 14kms deep, centred around Olinda in the Dandenong Ranges, outer east of Melbourne [not far from me].
I have felt some very subtle movements today, including the others I had mentioned in a previous post. So far, Geoscience hasn't recorded anything on their site.
I and others know what we have been sensing and feeling around here and it is good to see the Seismology R.C. is onto it.

Perrywinkle, I am aware of the report you mentioned re: the volcanic chain. Along time ago, I mentioned that I felt there was going to be 'something' possibly to do with volcanics in Oz, sneaking in a hint here and there. This not to say that the current tremors popping up down the east coast - into Vic and down to Bass Strait - is what I am confirming association with volcanoes, but you never know.......

In the last 2 weeks, I have had fleeting looks what's been happening on the global EQ front. Noticeably, after the large quake in the west of the Pacific, there was a mild lull, then a flurry of M5's came up all over the place in the Pacific. In recent days, even other places on the planet, e.g. Greenland - amongst other locations, which don't appear to be regular quake spots [i.e. regular appearance on the EQ map] have come up with tremors.
The Indian Ocean also has responded with quakes in the complex plates junction regions.

Ditrianum has been very focused [as always] on the EQ happenings and potential influences. He is feeling rather concerned atm. that a large quake could crop up somewhere - even possibly in the range of around M8.
I too feel that one is brewing - where? - I don't know. My very rough thought may be it could be somewhere along the equator - but I could be wrong.

Anyway, apologies for being otherwise boring and especially 'not around' for the last two weeks.

For now, Duck.

#1498068 - 29/04/2019 14:11 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
Originally Posted By: tsunami
5.3 of vancover island 4 hrs ago. Wonder if its precourser movement for casscadia

no mate , dont be saying that , im heading over there in 8 weeks time. will freak the mrs out. last time we were in nth america area, we missed an M5 by a day. more than happy to keep missing them too.

#1498592 - 08/05/2019 15:04 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
petethemoskeet Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: toowoomba
Good read on tectonic plates
https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/techandscience/a-tectonic-plate-may-have-peeled-apart—and-that-could-shrink-the-atlantic-ocean/ar-AAB2M3g?ocid=spartandhp

Page 147 of 154 < 1 2 ... 145 146 147 148 149 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
colorado, Effrem, whitsunday
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image