NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 112 of 154 < 1 2 ... 110 111 112 113 114 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1376376 - 22/05/2016 23:06 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petar @ Sdny Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: South West Sydney
Ongoing tremors appearing on feeds coming out of this 6.0 MAG quake over 24 hours ago in N.T.

Also noting alot of activity in southern Europe with Albania, Macedonia and Bulgaria getting strong 4.0 and 5.0 shakes in the last 12 hours.

Edited by Petar @ Sdny (22/05/2016 23:07)
Edit Reason: added N.T.

#1376550 - 24/05/2016 17:59 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petar @ Sdny]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi folks.

Yes Petar. Interesting activity in several places.

South Oz - another tremor 15 minutes or so ago?? M3? Waiting for Geoscience to confirm.

Australia is still coming up with some more good tremors currently and NT is still cropping up with follow on tremors - generally around M3'ish. I said earlier that I felt that there may be another M5/+ for NT in the current mix of quakes/tremors. This hasn't happened yet and may or may not. Time will tell.....

Will catch up with more soon.

For now, Duck.

#1376565 - 24/05/2016 21:01 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

Looking at the seismo readouts of the quakes/tremors in NT, there seems to be a regular pattern in the shape of the readings when they show up on this group of seismo's - here

I find this rather curious (in my amateur way) as the wave form is seemingly consistent each time (in shape). To me (remember I am an amateur observer), this seems to show that the ground movements are of the same nature and not a hotch potch of different effects. I hope that made sense.

It seems the ground below the epicenters (which is showing up being recorded in almost not exactly the same spot each time a tremor/quake is recorded) may be unusually moving consistently in the same way each time a tremor is recorded. I personally find that interesting.

Other 'spots' in Oz are coming up with tremors too, as I suspected may occur. There may be other tremors come up here and there in locations not 'regulars' for possible tremor activity.....

Keep an eye in the link to the seismo's I mentioned above for when the NT tremors come up and you may see the wave form shape I have mentioned above.

For now, Duck.

#1376725 - 26/05/2016 12:28 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
Had a very slight tremor here about 11:15 am. just a gentle wobble through the office chair accompanied by low sound (not even loud enough to call it a rumble).

#1376726 - 26/05/2016 12:39 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

oops, 12:15pm for tremor in Sydney

Edited by perrywinkle (26/05/2016 12:39)

#1376732 - 26/05/2016 14:23 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi perrywinkle wink

Wow, just now an M5+ on Norfolk Island (500 miles) off the coast of Australia. Fairly shallow too at 10 kms (prelim). Will know more later. This is quite unusual....

For now, Duck.

#1376762 - 26/05/2016 20:15 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Oh wow, that was a long way away. Kind of explains why it 'felt' a bit different.

#1376763 - 26/05/2016 20:48 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

From the internet it looks like Norfolk Island has fairly frequent moderate quakes. Had no idea....

#1376797 - 27/05/2016 10:34 Re: Earthquakes [Re: perrywinkle]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi perrywinkle and all wink

I haven't had much of a chance to research Norfolk Island's EQ history and only have found this so far - [which doesn't include the latest quake near Norfolk Island] - here - 'Earthquake Track'
I'd be interested to know of another link to a more comprehensive EQ/tremor list for Norfolk - out of curiosity wink Perrywinkle, do you have another link to more info? smile

The Norfolk quake is interesting, as it may just go to show that the concerted energy that has been ping-ponging around the Pacific may be placing pressure on regions not 'common' for tremors/quakes at the moment. It is like when the tremors come up in Bass Strait and the Tasman Sea. When seeing those pop up, I am curious as to what is going on in these regions, away from major plate edges to cause movements. Referred energy/pressures?

The NT quakes/tremors and post-quake behaviours was much like the activity after quakes in regions, e.g. Japan, Nepal etc., where the main quake was not a one-off movement and was concerted enough to produce many after-movements. Though the actual fault/plate edge behaviour/cause/nature of the Japan and Nepal quakes [for example] is different to what cause the NT to move recently. I thought there may be another M5 or + for the NT recently, following on from all of the after-movements [or in the tremor mix], but that hasn't happened.

Perrywinkle, it doesn't surprise me that you have felt some earth movements where you live. There was a local tremor near there and the Norfolk Island quake may have sent over some minor niggles....?

For the moment, Duck.

#1376992 - 28/05/2016 22:48 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

The South Sandwich Islands M7+ was a good foundation rattler. This followed on from the M6+ near Fiji (very deep).
After Fiji's large quake, I had a feeling we may see another large quake crop up somewhere on the planet.
Fiji's larger quake may be the beginning of other quakes (M5+?) for the regions of the western Pacific and possibly the west coast of South America (maybe even Central America). Deep quakes around the 'hinge'/Fiji and surrounds is substantial enough movement to perhaps set off other quakes in nearby countries/island regions.

The South Sandwich Islands large quake rattled our seismo's in Oz about 5 to 10 minutes after it occurred. As I said, a foundation rattler, which may provide the impetus for other faults to niggle and produce tremors elsewhere.

Australia is still coming up with the odd quake/tremor and there may even be more to come. I knew that the NT hadn't finished moving - the latest tremor being an M3+. I wuld say there may be still a small chance of an M4+ to possibly occur for that location.

There may be a small chance of an M8 coming up somewhere as there seems to be some solid energy lurking on the planet. For large quakes to come up near Fiji and the South Sandwich Islands (great distance from each other) there may be a bit of a globalized energy yet to throw up another decent quake.

The next one may set off buoys. If on land, there may be landslides and an issue with a river/waterway....?

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (28/05/2016 22:49)

#1377026 - 29/05/2016 12:35 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Town&country Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Perth - Adelaide
So last night here in Perth, I was watching some Foxtel at about 11.40pm and felt what I thought was an earthquake.... Turns out WA has had multiple overnight and early morning. Geoscience are saying M5+

#1377132 - 30/05/2016 12:04 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Town&country]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Town&country and all.

I was right about another M5+ coming up for Australia, but wrong with the potential location [I thought it might have been in NT again]. I just strongly felt that the energy to produce another M5 or more was still lurking.
The M5+ and after-movements in WA goldfields was very interesting. This is another location in Australia where, though an earthquake is not out of the question or history hasn't seen tremors come up, some surprise quakes are showing up.
I also feel that because of the M5's coming up in Oz at the moment, it is not beyond the possibility of something around M4 [outside chance of higher than M4) coming up somewhere else, or in the same locations.

Many folks felt the WA quakes and their reports of what they felt were interesting.
Here is a report on such [quake and folks reports];
Earthquakes rock Goldfields Jarrod Lucas - Kalgoorlie Miner on May 29, 2016, 3:17 am

Check out the last 30 days quakes, as recorded on the Geoscience Australia website/maps;
Here...

New Zealand is also having some interesting tremors;
These are just the felt ones (click in page tabs to see other minor tremors)

For now, Duck.

#1377594 - 02/06/2016 20:39 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Well my suspicions of Australia to experience more immediate tremors/quakes was right. There is some real grumbling going on, particularly atm., in the lower regions (including NT still).
Lower WA is particularly focused currently and another quake came up for NT (M3+).

Given this activity, I feel there may be more (again) to come.

About an hour ago, my roof trusses creaked (slight shudder) [and not because of an annoying possum up there] and I thought it seemed like a very small tremor (short and sweet). I checked the seismo in Gippsland (Narracan) and it registered a short movement - an M1+ if there was one. No other seismo's (of the ones I watch in the southern states) recorded this movement - therefore I think it was isolated to the Gippsland seismo ??

The seismo's in lower Oz are still showing small reverberations and have been for some time, fairly regularly. Of course, some of the spikes on the seismo's are related to quakes not on our continent. Though none-the-less I feel Australia has got some energy running through it at the moment, which is not emanating from other quake sites (other countries).

Around the planet, currently, there is a bit of an uptick in activity, with some decent sized tremors/quakes popping up here and there.

Northern France and surrounds are feeling fairly regular tremors atm., and this may translate across the Channel into the British Isles. The Netherlands may have an outside chance of a small tremor too.

The U.S. west coastal regions and near the New Madrid fault lines are showing irritation currently.

Central America has (and is) shown the quake behaviour I expected it to. A larger quake may come into the picture for somewhere in this region (small chance?).

The NE of the Indian Ocean is playing up at the moment.

I had another specific location I was going to mention, but have just forgotten it - gone blank crazy If I remember it - I'll post it. (The possum in my roof distracted me).

For now, Duck.

#1378532 - 06/06/2016 10:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I've lost touch a bit with where the energy is running around the planet lately - been occupied with other things. But, my suspicions about the energy still lurking around the southern 'half' of Australia was right. Tassie came up with a tremor near Smithton (NW corner of the Apple Isle). Given this one and the energy in South Oz, I wonder if a movement may come up in between these locations or in Bass Strait or one of the islands between the two (Tassie and South Oz - or even on the Vic south coast?).

WA and the Petermann Ranges [NT] (where the larger quakes occurred) are still 'on the move'. The locations of these larger quakes may go on to feel after-movements for some time. Regions on the periphery of these regions (more likely in WA?) may also come up with tremors from residual energy from the larger quake regions.

South Australia, on either side of the Spencer Gulf [particularly on the eastern side - and up near Port Augusta] is niggling away at the moment. There is quite a 'concentration' of movements in this vast region over the last 30 days. An area in South Oz may go on to feel a 'maybe' M4. Though this energy may also be somewhere near Kangaroo Island?

Soon I hope to natter on about other places on the planet, but this will be when I have more time to spend on watching where the 'energies' seem to be traveling.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (06/06/2016 10:39)
Edit Reason: missed a bit of text ;)

#1378645 - 07/06/2016 15:09 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Well a rare quake came up for off shore NSW today - western Tasman Sea. M4.

I thought an M4 may have come up for South Oz - knew one was on the cards somewhere - but NSW scored it instead smile

I wonder if the weather/water events in the region had anything to do with pressuring the fault to move in NSW?

For now, Duck.

#1378723 - 08/06/2016 13:40 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
J Pabo Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Clydesdale NSW
Duckweather, would the earthquakes around be related to the low pressure systems in the SE?

Just thinking of the amount of force of water that can produce when battering the coast line gets.

#1378725 - 08/06/2016 14:06 Re: Earthquakes [Re: J Pabo]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi J Pabo and all.

I have always thought that the pressure of great tides can put pressure on faults, which may be vulnerable to 'moving', causing tremors/quakes.

I had a look for this info and came up with the following;

Quote:
"The weight added by water at high tide can trigger movement close to land in earthquake faults that are already active, according to new global analysis.""....."Cochran said larger tides have a higher chance of triggering an earthquake on an active shallow fault near land, compared with regions where tides are less severe."

Source: Live Science - "High Tides Trigger Earth...er-earthquakes"

Same with dams and inland waterways. Some can have the potential to put pressure on nearby faults and, in some cases, possibly lubricate faults.

Cheers for now, Duck.

#1378732 - 08/06/2016 15:14 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wynnum SE Brisbane
If you look up Benmore hydro dam in New Zealands south island.
When it was first built and while being filled it created a large number of small earthquakes due to shear size of the earth dam and presure of water

#1378794 - 09/06/2016 10:06 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi tsunami.

I started to look up info for the Benmore Hydro Dam in NZ, and came across this link [below] which lists many references to reports, studies etc. discussing earthquakes and tremors caused by dams etc. The link also references the Benmore site. Interesting stuff, isn't it smile

"Induced Earthquake Bibliography Reservoir Induced Earthquake References"

Have a look at Geoscience Australia's earthquake list for the last 30 days
I haven't seen a list as long as this for quite a while. I reckon too that this list may not cover all of the minor tremors [below M2] which may be occurring as well.

For now, Duck.

#1378953 - 11/06/2016 23:51 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Town&country Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Perth - Adelaide
Wow I am blown away by the sesmic activity in Australia at the moment. I'm no rock doctor but surely some agency should be issuing an alert so people are forewarned?

Duck, I can not see such a period like this in recent history?

I wonder what the guys at geoscience are thinking? Surely they are run off their feet, but I would love an explanation from them as to their thoughts.

As always Duck, it's good to come on here and read your updates and ramblings haha. Anyway that's enough of my ramblings. Night

Page 112 of 154 < 1 2 ... 110 111 112 113 114 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image