NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 72 of 154 < 1 2 ... 70 71 72 73 74 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1266753 - 20/06/2014 16:19 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
did a lot of research years back on this , and there is so much more data out there now. nothing changes though , in my opinion , when the cascadian lets go , it should create much greater human impact than the recent big ones of indo & japan. funnily enough , the longer things stay quiet , the less people think about the potential that exists.

#1266796 - 20/06/2014 21:09 Re: Earthquakes [Re: BIG T]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi BIG T.

...yes, it is interesting and there may be a couple of other regions, ocean wise, which may be potential areas for larger movements. A couple which come to my mind (as examples of a the few) are the Indian Ocean (between Australia and Madagascar - but closer to Oz) and a region in the west of the North Atlantic Ocean - near the SW of the Sargasso Sea.
The Cascadia is definitely a location which the scientists/others have expressed concerns for for some time now. If this did 'go' there could be some serious issues there.
There are some other locations which may also have some sort of potential for some damaging movements - Japan being one; the Pacific Island's region maybe, as a couple of examples.

New Zealand's major fault line, which runs through both islands could be one which may at some time in the future (when I don't know - maybe not for a long time) Become aggravated enough to produce another quake like the one in Cook Strait some time ago or an onland quake like Christchurch's quake somewhere.

Of course, I could be way off with my thoughts above, and I don't like to say that any particular region is going to or may experience a devastating quake - because I can't know these things with accuracy - maybe no-one can really.

Though, as you say, there is much more and varied types of data being collated these days, which can assist scientists in trying to work out which locations could be problem areas to be 'watched'.
There are also a lot of folks (including scientists) who avidly observe the behaviours of the San Andreas, New Madrid, the Rift Zone in NE Africa and several other places, for accelerated or 'unusual' behaviours, which may indicate brewing problems.
When Haiti's terrible quake hit some time ago, sensors (including the use of satellites)registered and measured the ground/land was moved 30 cm's (permanently) in one direction. I believe the technology used to ascertain this 'shift' may be being used in other regions now.

Sometimes Mother Earth can throw up a surprise location for a substantial quake - taking the focus from the 'expected' regions to swing to an 'unexpected' one.

And yes I agree, when a form of complacency or decreased awareness (through a calmness) filters into a community, because of EQ lulls, this can sometimes, in some locations, be a time when the shock of a new substantial quake can remind folks that the potential danger of large quakes can still exist. Of course 'you' don't want to live in a state of being constantly nervous about when the next 'one' will hit, but an awareness of the potential for another movement (remembering past EQ behaviours and occurrences) helps keep one quietly prepared, just in case another quake happens.

Personally, when I notice 'lulls' or quiet periods regarding EQ activity in some regions, I sometimes get the feeling that within the lull period there is energy or agitation possibly brewing - perhaps ready to release.
Though there are also times when the energy driving many of the quakes around the globe eases momentarily. This can also cause global or regional lulls in EQ actiity - not necessarily, in the moment, incorporating an energy build up.

Anyway, I will say also that I am a little surprised (but pleased at the same time) that there have been no M5's come up in the regions surrounding the Vanuatu M6+, since this quake. I actually find this 'quiet' a wee bit unusual.

Remember, I may be wrong with what I have said above.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (20/06/2014 21:11)
Edit Reason: ermergerd..spelling again

#1266839 - 21/06/2014 14:24 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wynnum SE Brisbane
About it being quiet
I cant remember where i read it as it was some time ago but the pacific averaged about 1 pacific wide tsunami every decade
its been a while now since the last one

#1266846 - 21/06/2014 15:18 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi tsunami.

The best list of historical tsunami's I could find at the moment, is on Wiki. It lists all major tsunami's worldwide, but if you go down the list, yo can gage the Pacific ones and the date gap between them.
List of historical tsunami's

According to some of the info I have briefly read, the Pacific is the location with the highest possibility (historically) of tsunami behaviors.
I feel we may see another one this year, but I am not dramatically claiming a mega-disaster. I feel there may be a few instances of water disturbances, with possibly one or two which may cause some tidal (height), current and wave height changes in some Pacific regions.
I also feel that there may be at some time a similar occurrence in the Atlantic or a faint oustide chance of Antarctica (west)......but I may be completely wrong about my thoughts here, so 'pinch-of-salt' folks.

The west of the Pacific has started to come up with M4+'s. But I am still quite surprised that there has been no movement after the Vanuatu M6+ (in surrounding regions), or even aftershocks (to my knowledge). The only region to have immediately responded was New Zealand (which actually may have been unrelated to Vanuatu's).

Britain has been has been coming up with tremors I felt it may (past posts). Another obscure thought of mine is that perhaps the centre of the Atlantic may be having some influence on the west of the British Isles and maybe in the English Channel regions....? (could be wrong).

Somewhere near the Caspian Sea may come up with an M4(+?) - just a feeling.

For now, Duck (is ducking out - maybe back later)

#1266885 - 21/06/2014 21:19 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks again for today.

I just arrived home and headed straight for the seismo readings for South Oz. I had a gut feeling that something was 'up' with South Oz - meaning I felt there was a movement/tremor there.
On looking at the seismo's I am guessing within the regions of possibly the Flinders Ranges or Hawker or Mount Rat there may have just been an M3 or maybe even near an M4....?

Just on purely reading the seismo's and checking the possibility of a distant moderate quake, it looks like South Oz may have had a tremor. I will wait till Geoscience Oz comes up with any info to see if I am right regarding an EQ occurrence, location and size.....or did any of you folks in SA feel a tremor?

For now, Duck.

#1266889 - 21/06/2014 21:47 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Im taking the family to nz for a couple of weeks in october. Last time I was there , oct 1999 , we were just south of rotorua when a big one hit, think it was m7 or 6.9 and local. The geysers were goin nuts for days. pretty helpless feeling and even with a decent knowledge about quakes, I was a bit shaken up. Awesome though. Hope for another shake when we are there this year , m3 to m5 , will suffice.

#1266892 - 21/06/2014 22:30 Re: Earthquakes [Re: BIG T]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi BIG T.

Rotorua is an interesting place (didn't like the strong sulphur smell being emitted there though). The ground was relatively calm when I was last there. The New Zealand landscape is beautiful and a great place for a holiday - though I'd be happy if the ground wasn't shaking the next time I go there wink

The feeling of an M5+ is quite surreal, but I feel for those folks who endure the bigger ones - must be rather unnerving.

The tremor in South Oz, I mentioned earlier, has been pegged by Geoscience as an M2 currently at 0kms deep near Laura. I was a little 'out' with the magnitude I suspected it might have been - the seismo readings looked like it may have been an M3 (up to M4 outside chance). I was a little out with the location too.

The Atlantic Ocean, from Portugal down, is playing up in a few spots (particularly the Southern Mid-Atlantic Ridge).

The island of Hawaii has also been experiencing fairly constant tremors lately - volcanic. There still (to me) seems to be some unison with the west coast of the U.S. with these movements.....

Washington and Oregon have seemingly followed on with tremors/EQ's from Yellowstone again.

For now, Duck.

#1266937 - 22/06/2014 13:39 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Just a quick post for now.

It has been interesting to observe and note that since the 2 hour quiet before the Vanuatu M6+ - then the quake occurred - then a run of M4' and M5' have been springing up across the globe.....

Back later, Duck.

#1266991 - 22/06/2014 20:23 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again.

It seems that at the moment the seismo in Willalooka (South Australia) is picking up some movement, and has for the last 12 minutes - and as I type is continuing to do so.
See seismo here

Will keep an eye on the above.....

For the moment....Duck.

#1266996 - 22/06/2014 20:49 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

seismology is an addictive drug duck , oh yeah , I agree re rotorua being a stinky joint , first few hrs there are terrible. we actually were driving just a short 5 min drive another time in nz , up near hanmer springs when an m5 struck , and until we walked into a shop and saw a mess , we didn't have a clue. we were spewing. we also had the experience back in dec 2002 right here at home . wifey was in hosp just given birth to our 2nd child.my folks had travelled up to see the baby and were staying with us. was about 1130pm , sudden bang , reverberation I liken to a truck hitting a tightly would steel frame building if you were inside at the time , one second shimmy and that was it. my old man demanded to know what the hell that was , I said I rekn it was a small quake and he thought I was mad , 2.8 it measured , little girl came into the world with a bang and hasn't stopped since.

#1267000 - 22/06/2014 21:21 Re: Earthquakes [Re: BIG T]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yep BIG T, seismo's can be addictive to watch at times blush

Who needs an earth tremor when you've got teenagers? Just kidding. My 3 kids felt their first earthquake many years ago, an M4.3, which rattled the house and sent them bolting towards me with a bud-eyed look and wondered what the heck had happened. My youngest asked me if it was the end of the world - bless him. Then when he experienced our M5.3, he just said "what-ever".

As much as the feeling of a larger tremor is a surreal feeling, the damage quakes can cause (like the shop mess you mentioned) is not so good.

As I am typing this, something just fell on my roof - now I'm the bug-eyed one. I think one of the large possums may have just fallen out of one of our large gumtrees - at least I hope that's what it was crazy Better go and check (the frame of the house creaked below the bang).....

For now, Duck.

#1267011 - 22/06/2014 22:13 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Looking at the South Australian seismo's, I think SA has just had a tremor, which I was anticipating - going on the possible behaviours of the Willalooka seismo. Since the Hawker seismo has just registered what may be a tremor from M2 upwards, the Willalooka seismo has flat-lined somewhat.

The Sedan and Glenside seismo's picked up the movement shortly after Hawker.

For now, Duck.

#1267261 - 24/06/2014 07:57 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.
Just a quick post. I may have time a little later to add more.

Rat island and the Kermadecs (NZ) have had a few doozies of EQ's this morning.
A tsunami waring has been issued for Rat and an advisory (for awareness of water disturbances) only for NZ.

Water disturbances, currents, tides and wave heights will be affected by varying degrees.

With the behaviours of the Pacific Plate and some strange lull periods in the last 24 - 48 hours, these quakes, unfortunately, do not surprise me.....

Let's hope they haven't caused any issues for nearby folks.

For now, Duck.

#1267270 - 24/06/2014 08:29 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Ken Kato Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

There was actually a big one (mag 8.0) near Alaska earlier this morning. Depth was 114.4km though so it's limiting the areal extent of the tsunami threat.

#1267298 - 24/06/2014 10:05 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Ken Kato]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Ken.

Yes, that Alaskan quake was in the Rat Islands region. The tsunami warning has changed from a 'warning' to an 'advisory' - with still wave, tidal and current disturbances for the folks to watch out for and to stay away from the coasts in the region.

Same tsunami info for NZ, except that the possible impact of water disturbances may be of a lesser nature.

Both locations are experiencing multiple aftershocks and the energy that drove the Alaskan quakes has emerged about an hour and a half after the Kermadec islands quakes in New Zealand.
There is enough energy in both regions for them to currently feel simultaneous further movements. After a big quake anywhere, normally, the after-movement behaviour is not unexpected.

Imagine the strength of the energy needed to produce these larger quakes? Mind boggling isn't it?

The rest of the Pacific region may see spot quakes come up as a result of these substantial movements.
Maybe over to the east, from Rat Islands, near the Alaskan Gulf? Maybe the west coast of the U.S., the west coast of Chile, near Japan, above Antarctica (way below NZ and Aus.), maybe Hawaii (not a large tremor), some of the islands between PNG/Indonesia and Tonga...??
I don't mean more in the M8 magnitude, but these larger quakes may perhaps set off some M5's around the Plate where the plate moves north and meets a plate edge 'above' it and/or intersects with a region of plate clusters...?
These are just thoughts - not predictions.

As I said in a previous post, the 'typical' behaviour of the Pacific Plate has changed a little in the last 24-48 hours (or more). The larger quake in Vanuatu and lack of after-movements, combined with strange lulls (had me feeling like I was holding my breath) I felt was unusual. I felt that something larger (M7+) was brewing somewhere along a 'muscle' part of the Pacific Plate. 'muscle' = imposing structure (I know that sounds like a silly description).

The Atlantic is still popping up with the odd EQ. This is another region where I felt there was some energy (with unfinished business) lurking.

A few posts ago, I mentioned that I thought SA may have had an M2 or above....nothing has come up on the Geoscience site for this....? But, NSW has had a couple of tremors posted on the Geoscience site. Sometimes the tremors don't show up on the Geo map for a couple of days....

Oh and the 'thing' that fell on my roof was a large branch, Maybe there was a possum attached - I did hear some scuttling after that.... And this was before the storms hit... The tree probably thought, "Well might as well get the branch falling thing over and done with before Melbourne's weather turns to mush..."

Anyway, for now, Duck.

#1267430 - 24/06/2014 19:17 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Nerd65 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Cranbrook, Townsville
Here's an article published in the Townsville Bulletin today about an unusual rumbling heard in the Burdekin area about 100km SE of Townsville around 11am last Wednesday. According to the article, Geoscience Australia recorded something but said it wasn't an earthquake.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/new...b-1226964618613

#1267433 - 24/06/2014 19:48 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Nerd65]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Nerd65.

About 19 hours (approx) after the folks in Queensland felt this movement, Vanuatu had its larger quake.
I feel the movement the folks in Qld felt was a pre-movement from Vanuatu (east of Oz) or in relation to.
With some quakes, there are 'before' movements which show up on seismo's before the main registered movement, which gets pinned as the time of a quake. A PNG seismo reading of the time of Vanuatu quake seems to show some pre-movement....but I can't find a full days' seismic reading/graph for the days covering the 18th/19th of June atm.

Now, my interpretation of the movements in QLD (Burdekin) may be incorrect, but I do feel that some EQ's can start occurring well before they are actually formally noted, timed and dated.

Rat Islands, Alaska, and the Kermadecs, NZ, are still going off with after-movements in 'unison'. There is still some concerted energy/movement/release happening in both of these regions.

Also, as I felt (previous post) may occur, Chile has started coming up with tremors, after the larger Alaskan and NZ quakes.

Other regions in NZ came up with some moderate quakes and some tremors after the Kermadecs' larger quake. Some in the M5 region.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (24/06/2014 19:53)
Edit Reason: extra

#1267468 - 25/06/2014 04:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wynnum SE Brisbane
Hi nerd....very intersting. Last wednesday at around 11am i was launching my boat at an isolated boat ramp in a river nth of ayr..in the budiken about 50km sth townsville..we heard a loud rumble like thunder in the distance over the mountains...thought it might of been the adf. Boming.....it was loud and distant.
When i lived in nz there was talk abou booms and rumbles like thunder before big earthquakes...stories can be located under murchison earthquake booms in hills.....so appears what we heard was not the millitary....but no practice zoons in that ares..wow

#1267630 - 26/06/2014 21:11 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Now, here's an interesting phenomenon.
The following link - "Meteo-tsunami hits several cites along Adriatic coast, Croatia" - The Watchers - as the title describes, a rise in water level in the Adriatic Sea, particularly on the coast of Croatia.
Croatia and surrounds have experienced EQ's recently.
Have a look down the page of the link/article above and look at the (animated satellite pics) cloud formations over land. What do you see? Static gaps in the clouds forming in two general places over lands.
I wonder if some geo-magnetic and/or geo-electric behaviours have also had anything to do with not only the cloud formations, but in the rise and fall of the waters? I.e. earth structure rise and fall? Maybe my idea here is way off and I am ignorant of the 'science' which caused the water issues...but I thought I'd just add what I thought may also be a remote chance here anyway....

Oklahoma has been really rattling with tremors today, and the western regions of the Pacific (including the Pacific Islands regions) has been coming up with the EQ's, which I thought may have started popping up a little earlier than they have.

New Zealand has been coming up with quite a few M3+'s and some higher in magnitude. The Cook Strait came up with an M4+, which I mentioned a little while ago that this was a possibility, given the current instability (of sorts) of the major fault (plate edge) which runs through NZ from north to south (generally speaking). Such energy may also travel past the south of NZ yet....?

I've watched, on and off, a buoy in the northern reaches of the Arabian Sea - which has been showing some jitters - and the Owen Fracture Zone, near Oman and Yemen, has come up with an M4.7 a couple of hours ago. I felt this region was going to become active again.

Vanuatu seemed to me to be the trigger for some of the quakes in the Pacific in the last couple of days - or similarly, Vanuatu's quake may have been the first point and indicator of built up energy, focused (stuck) at one location, which when released - set off some of the other quakes we have seen in the last couple of days...??

Remember, my rattling on above are not predictions or 'knowledge', just feelings wink

Anyway for now, until I get a better gage of the EQ energies going on at the moment (I've been hit and miss in the last 24 hours or so, because I've been distracted with other things), I'll jot some more stuff soon,

Duck.

Edited by duckweather (26/06/2014 21:14)
Edit Reason: extra

#1268007 - 28/06/2014 22:07 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

There was what I thought to be a faint rumble here in Vic a couple of hours ago, but because of the weather quirks at the moment, it was a bit hard to tell if it was tremor activity or something to do with the weather. A seismo in Vic picked up on this, and didn't look like a spike (short burst) on the seismo as if affected by a lightening strike. Will wait for Geoscience to see if they recorded anything. I noticed some similar jiggles on a couple of seismos in SA and Canberra as well.

The EQ activity is in a reasonably focused region in Mediterranean at the moment - around eastern/southern Italy and over to Western Turkey - it looks like an almost large circular cluster with the middle 'filled' in with tremors. This tremor behaviour may start to radiate out to other regions (including countries) to the north, west and SE.

The Atlantic is still 'playing up' in a couple of places, as I felt it might - Northern Mid-Atlantic and over towards Spain. I get a bit of a feeling that the Strait of Gibraltar (or near) may come up with an M3+.

I also get a feeling that the Wyoming region (in relation to Yellowstone) may come up with an M3 (or M3+). Then Oregon and Washington may follow on with a couple of tremors.
Oklahoma will continue to feel tremors, with the outside chance of an M4+???

Apart from New Zealand, there may be another lull elsewhere, before another M6 which could set off a new run of M5's.

For now, Duck.

Page 72 of 154 < 1 2 ... 70 71 72 73 74 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 44 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
rodgerwareing
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image