NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 32 of 134 < 1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 133 134 >
Topic Options
#32095 - 19/09/2006 07:15 Re: Mena, Arkansas Weather
NZAAS Offline

Loc: Rain mentioned every forecast....
Also ours in Auckland too,it doesnt get the extremes of Birmingham or Mena ie we get 5 at night and 13 or 14 with rain but for months on end and only slowly creeps up up as the days increase length with anticyclones in winter and spring remain well north and often 8/8 with cold southwest winds straight off the sea and showers and rain spread throughout the year.
Admittingly we do get the odd fine sunny spell but its only because of rare N or SE winds due to tropical activity pushing down the high pressure belts

#32096 - 19/09/2006 11:38 Re: Mena, Arkansas Weather
Wet Snow Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Mena, Polk County, Arkansas; e...
Hello UK Steve (& NZAAS):

I don't think I could handle the climate in Birmingham/UK very well, namely due to the damp cold/persistent cloudiness in winter and lukewarm summer maximums.

Continual damp/cloudy/cold weather tends to have a depressing effect on me (Thankfully, persistent cloudiness doesn't often happen here; not very foggy either). I seem to take colder weather better when there's abundant sunshine. Here, it's seldom that we are completely overcast for more than 2 days straight.
I also really hate it when daylight hours really start declining (in winter, sunset here is just after 5PM--YUCK!!!)

Humidity notwithstanding, I do like hotter summers (makes my joints feel better and I can often go swimming--excellent exercise for arthritics). IMO nothing much worse than lukewarm summer temperatures. Being cold-natured, reasonably hot summers, suit me just fine. Summer maximums of 90-100F/32.2 to 37.7C are OK with me (any hotter and it starts to get fairly oppressive with high Heat Indexes/Heat Advisories; also it--really HOT maximums--usually means we're in an extended dry period).

It's sort of a joke in the US, but you can tell who the UK/northern Europeans are just by looking at their "pasty-white" skin (ie. meaning hot temperatures/long daylight hours are rare there).

Kind Regards~~~Wet Snow

#32097 - 19/09/2006 14:33 Re: Mena, Arkansas Weather
TOM1111 Offline

Loc: medowie near williamtown-octob...
G'day Wet_snow
my elevation is around 10-15m so not very high at all.
min temp is -3 or -4 i think
negative temps rarely happen here due to been close to the coast

#32098 - 19/09/2006 15:55 Re: Mena, Arkansas Weather
rainfan Offline

Loc: Bondi, Sydney
NZASS:- I disagree with your summary of Aucklands Weather, its not always 5 degrees every-night and 13-14 degrees every-day, temps have now been around the 16-18 degree mark and will contuine to go up as Auckland comes into spring.

Auckland's summers can be humid at times, sometimes oppressive with max temps between 23-28 degrees, sometimes higher out in low-lying suburbs (highest max recorded was 35 degrees) and minimum temps can be 18, 19, 20 degrees C, with a lot of sunshine.

Auckland is one of the warmest places in NZ when it comes to mean temperatures, its higher than almost anywhere else in NZ (except Northland), Auckland has the highest mean minimum temp in the whole country. Auckland City has never ever recorded a temp of below zero, the closest it got to was 1 degree way back in 1951 and never been recorded since then.

It doesnt always rain in Auckland, the yearly average is 1100mm, the last few years have seen below average rainfall and more sunshine than usual.There will be a month which will be extremely wet, but on the other hand, there can be extremely dry months, like February 1909 which recorded no rain at all. Rain falls on 130 days per year.

8/8 cloud all the time??? Not so, Auckland averages 2060 hours of sunshine per year, mostly in late spring, summer and early autumn. Winter is generally cloudier and wetter with warmer minimum temperatures but can be extremely sunny/dry/colder in some years.

SW winds doesnt always bring rain or showers to Auckland, some extremely dry months recorded in Aucklands history have been associated with persistant W-SW airflows. Also some of the sunniest months have been related to W-SW airflows as well.

#32099 - 19/09/2006 17:24 Re: Mena, Arkansas Weather
NZAAS Offline

We havent yet had a 20 degree day since April,We still have almost 600 hrs of sunshine to get to average with our cloudy spring ahead.At my place it was 15,officially only 17,hear it was only 31 in Sydney.rainman have you been to Auckland or at least spent time here?
Yes we had a sunny winter but Wellington has just overtaken us in the sunshine lead again.
Its only so called oppressive humid for about 2 or 3 weeks a year and 30 degrees is only reached average once each two or three years.
We had 14's this month as maximums due to SWers and still waiting for 20.

#32100 - 19/09/2006 18:34 Re: Mena, Arkansas Weather
rainfan Offline

I lived in Auckland for 15 years NZAAS, I go over about 10 times a year to visit my mothers family who live in Auckland.

I wasnt born in Auckland (I was born in Melbourne) but my mother was and I like Auckland heaps, you paint a rather awful picture of the weather in Auckland, so I thought I would point out the positives as its not really fair on Auckland without mentioning the positives.

#32101 - 19/09/2006 19:31 Re: Mena, Arkansas Weather
TOM1111 Offline

what is your average yearly rainfall NZAAS??

#32102 - 20/09/2006 05:57 Re: Mena, Arkansas Weather
NZAAS Offline

av 1103mm currently 796mm
Quote:
Originally posted by boardrider_17:
what is your average yearly rainfall NZAAS??

#32103 - 20/09/2006 16:26 Re: Mena, Arkansas Weather
TOM1111 Offline

so considering the weather is so dull and showery there you get no more rain than i do basking in buitiful sunshine

#32104 - 20/09/2006 16:49 Re: Mena, Arkansas Weather
Rime Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Perth,WA
Quote:
so considering the weather is so dull and showery there you get no more rain than i do basking in buitiful sunshine
Bit like Melbourne. Melbourne gets half the rainfall of Williamtown, but Williamtown gets a lot more sun.

When I was living in Melbourne, I thought the summers and autumns were great. In the middle of summer you would get days where it was 22C and it was calm and sunny. Beautiful weather. Continues up and down until it reached early May, and then it was just miserable.

#32105 - 20/09/2006 17:18 Re: Mena, Arkansas Weather
rainfan Offline

Yes winter is just awful in melbourne, always overcast, drizzley/showery and that wind (from all directions) sure is freezing, get a clear day or 2 every now and then but not very often. SW airflow is the worst-always brings cloudy/showery weather.

Loved the changeable weather though, really hot and sunny one day, overcast, raining and cold the next, never a dull moment there smile . Can turn on some really beaut days at the oddest times.

Have fond memories of Melbourne's weather.

#32106 - 20/09/2006 17:25 Re: Mena, Arkansas Weather
Wet Snow Offline

Many Thanks Folks, for the input.

A Question for ALL:
Do you sometimes wish you lived further inland (reason being to escape the sometimes persistent "crappy" [overcast/foggy/drizzly] weather that comes with a strong marine influence)?

As I mentioned earlier, long cloudy periods (and fogginess) are not that frequent here (I'm pretty far inland).

Cheers~~~Wet Snow

#32107 - 20/09/2006 17:29 Re: Mena, Arkansas Weather
TOM1111 Offline

im only 15 kays from the ocean and will rarely get overcast low cloud conditions coming in from the SEA.
winter here is dominated by westerly winds which are a offshore wind bringing mild temps and sunshine all winter.
southerly changes in summer can bring a day or 2 of cloudy weather but still fairly warm.

i dont ever wish i was further inland

#32108 - 20/09/2006 17:38 Re: Mena, Arkansas Weather
rainfan Offline

Me-nah, love living on the coast next to the sea because of the more frequent rains (as you can see im a fan of the rains) and the seabreezes or NE winds that come often in the afternoons, brings relief on really hot and humid days. We get a good amount of sunshine here on the coast, totally overcast weather doesnt occur very often here and if it does, normally in the winter when the wind is blowing from the S, SE and to a lesser extent easterlies in the summer, mostly get the "sunny/cloudy periods" sort. Large number of clear days occur mostly in late winter, spring and early summer, but as with a El Nino or La Nina pattern then the weather changes as we all know.

Love it on the coast, wouldnt live inland - too little rains, not enough green grass and I would find it boring with all that endless sunshine smile

#32109 - 20/09/2006 17:52 Re: Mena, Arkansas Weather
NZAAS Offline

We get a lot of small amounts and cloudiness rather than short heavy rain
Quote:

#32110 - 21/09/2006 14:44 Re: Mena, Arkansas Weather
Rime Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Perth,WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Wet Snow:

Do you sometimes wish you lived further inland (reason being to escape the sometimes persistent "crappy" [overcast/foggy/drizzly] weather that comes with a strong marine influence)?
That is interesting that you percieve the coastal areas as having that kind of weather conditions. Where I am from, the coastal areas rarely get fog and they rarely get drizzly weather either. This is because much of the coastal regions of the Northern half of NSW have a more subtropical influence. Overcast/foggy/drizzly weather is what I would percieve as a mountain like climate or that of the west coast of Tasmania.

Personally, I would still prefer the inland. The inland does not have the humidity and the seasons are more pronounced.

#32111 - 21/09/2006 14:51 Re: Mena, Arkansas Weather
Wet Snow Offline

Hello Rime:

I was mainly thinking Australia's marine influence/layer was like what happens along the West Coast of the US (California, Oregon, Washington, coastal southern Alaska; cities like San Francisco, Ca; Seattle, Washington, etc.), where--especially in Winter--there is much fog/cloudiness/drizzly conditions (other coastal areas of the US can experience this also). The murky conditions may persist for some time. One of the most cloudy/murky places in the US is Cape Disappointment, Oregon.
Sometimes the "marine layer" doesn't "burn off" until the afternoon.
You can actually see the fogginess/marine layer hugging the California coast on satellite pics.

I just thought Aussie coastal locations may experience similar "icky" conditions in Wintertime.

Kind Wishes~~~Wet Snow

#32112 - 23/09/2006 22:08 Re: Mena, Arkansas Weather
Seabreeze Offline
Weatherzone Moderator

Loc: SWR
Looks like a band of storm moving E towards Mena. It looks like they'll hit Mena in about 90 minutes to 2 hours time (8:30am-9am CDT). Hope you have a nice stormy morning Wet Snow (hopefully without a tornado though you are under a Tornado Watch/Severe Thunderstorm Warning, thankfully not a Tornado Warning)
http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar.php?rid=SRX&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=yes

#32113 - 23/09/2006 22:28 Re: Mena, Arkansas Weather
Wet Snow Offline

Mornin' Ezzz:
7:18 AM CDT Saturday here. Yes the T-shower/storm line isn't far away now. Polk County (and surrounding area) is currently under a Tornado Watch & a Lake Wind Advisory. Last night, a few localities in N Arkansas had very large hail (4"/10cm in diameter hail fell at Brockwell [Izard County]).
It could get interesting here as the temperature is a balmy 77F/25C; after a very warm high yesterday (mostly cloudy, gusty S/SW winds, humid) of 88F/31.1C.
After frontal passage, the low in the morning will be somewhere in the 50sF/10-15C.

Well, I'm going back to bed for awhile.
Best Wishes~~~Wet Snow
P.S. The T-storm/shower line looks sort of thin (so far), hopefully meaning the chances of severe weather are diminished for my area.

#32114 - 23/09/2006 23:15 Re: Mena, Arkansas Weather
supercell9 Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Eltham ne Melbourne
WOW! 10cm hail! Thats huge! smile

Page 32 of 134 < 1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 ... 133 134 >

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 45 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Billies ride, Jayson Black, NeedMoreLightning, slipperyfish, supercellwish1
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image