batty Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Finch Hatton Gorge
lets hear your stories eek

#1477966 - 30/11/2018 22:08 Re: qld bushfires [Re: batty]
batty Offline
Weather Freak

3 times been evacuated and so far so good. Water bomber(the big one) has dropped 2 loads of water at the range to try and save the chalet. Hope it survived. Still safe in the gorge unless it skirts to the west and comes back in from the North. Trying times ahead for everyone. Stay safe everyone!

#1477968 - 30/11/2018 22:33 Re: qld bushfires [Re: batty]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Between Bundy and Gladstone
I ran away on Sunday before there was any word from anyone that the fire was coming our way. An aerial pic showing the smoke being pushed back at us, a look at the palm tree to see the way the wind was blowing, ash falling into the yard was enough for me to haul my prepacked butt out of there. All of 10 minutes before they sent a "GET OUT NOW" message to our street and not long before I would not have been able to leave.

Now sitting around and waiting to get back in. Not very happy though to hear that we may not be allowed in until the police have searched all our properties. No one is reported missing. Since when are police trained in fire safety and threat evaluation to property? They have lied to the residents. Mates house was lost on our street Sunday afternoon. Hubby attended an official meeting on Monday at 12.00pm and asked the direct question of if there had been any losses on our street. They made a phone call then came back and said NO houses had been lost on our street. Sort of makes their official notices a tad hard to believe.

We can find lots of pics of the area in flames on the net but not a one posted by our locals. They have shared a couple that have appeared in the major media as they know we will see those.

People who missed the roundup being forced with threats to leave burnt areas where there is nothing left to burn. Seems to me there is a bit of odd stuff happening in our area.

Hopefully your fire behaves for you Batty and dies an undignified death quickly smile

#1478004 - 01/12/2018 14:01 Re: qld bushfires [Re: batty]
Green n Lumpy Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Cardwell QLD
Although not quite as dramatic as bundybear's dramas, we had our own worries over the past two days with the fire near us at Ellerbeck. Yesterday we had 3 visits from the local police to let us know what was happening. On the second visit we were advised to pack a bag for 3 days, collect our valuables and be ready to evacuate if required. This was followed soon after by an Amber Watch & Act email alert.

Anyway, the risk lessened considerably as the wind died down and they did a back burn late in the night which eliminated the risk to our houses. The boys did a great job all day and night. All is quiet near us today, lots of smoke around.

#1478007 - 01/12/2018 14:36 Re: qld bushfires [Re: batty]
Pacman Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Cairns - Upper Bentley Park
We have a fire burning at the base of Mt Peter(1,100 mtrs)in Edmonton Cairns. Have never seen fires in this location before.

Alot of smoke haze over Cairns at present.

#1478013 - 01/12/2018 15:27 Re: qld bushfires [Re: batty]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

These are from around home. facebook fire

Edited by bundybear (01/12/2018 15:29)

#1478014 - 01/12/2018 15:32 Re: qld bushfires [Re: batty]
batty Offline
Weather Freak

Things have settled down around here. Waterbombing has saved the historic chalet at the top of the range. Lots of planes flying about (no doubt some media coverage as well). Some amazing footage there bundy,scary too.

Edited by batty (01/12/2018 15:36)

#1478038 - 01/12/2018 18:42 Re: qld bushfires [Re: batty]
Hagrid Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Crediton Qld
The wife and girls left Thursday afternoon, lost power just after that, Friday was wild, about 2.30pm they started the take shelter msgs while i was pushing a fire brake. Black smoke just exploded up out of Cathay creek. By the time I had trammed home visibility was down to about twenty meters. I locked the house and bugged out as per plan. I never thought I would see the house again as I left. Got told that the house was fine about 10 pm Back this morning early with a Radio this time to keep working not to bad today the fireys have had bombers today going flat out about 1 km from my boundary, saw the big bird as well amazing to watch. Still far from over. I am glad you are safe Bundybear and Batty.

#1478054 - 01/12/2018 22:11 Re: qld bushfires [Re: Hagrid]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Hagrid
The wife and girls left Thursday afternoon, lost power just after that, Friday was wild, about 2.30pm they started the take shelter msgs while i was pushing a fire brake. Black smoke just exploded up out of Cathay creek. By the time I had trammed home visibility was down to about twenty meters. I locked the house and bugged out as per plan. I never thought I would see the house again as I left. Got told that the house was fine about 10 pm Back this morning early with a Radio this time to keep working not to bad today the fireys have had bombers today going flat out about 1 km from my boundary, saw the big bird as well amazing to watch. Still far from over. I am glad you are safe Bundybear and Batty.

Glad you are safe. I hope the Crediton Hall doesn't get gone after all the hard work you locals have put into it. We really enjoyed our stay overnight there even if we woke to a winter wonderland of frost.

It is probably lucky for these other fires that the big birds and choppers were already half way there dealing with our fire.

#1478825 - 08/12/2018 17:46 Re: qld bushfires [Re: batty]
batty Offline
Weather Freak

eek*******BE WARY OF LANDSLIPS ON THE EUNGELLA RANGE******* eek eek

Edited by batty (08/12/2018 17:49)

Who's Online
13 registered (justme, willitrainagain, lab276, Wezza, logansi, slipperyfish, raincheck, Canoncloud, GrannyK, Michael Proctor, scott12, ifishcq, 1 invisible), 148 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Bob Johnston, Chowder100, J R Fascnated, Taught
Forum Stats
29700 Members
32 Forums
24025 Topics
1505869 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image