NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 142 of 154 < 1 2 ... 140 141 142 143 144 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1474471 - 22/10/2018 17:48 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
3 x M6+'s now....

Multiple buoys going into event mode now, near Gulf of Alaska and offshore Canada

Edited by duckweather (22/10/2018 17:51)

#1474472 - 22/10/2018 17:48 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petros Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Maffra, Central Gippsland, Vi...
Thanks DW/Ts - very concerning.

#1474473 - 22/10/2018 17:53 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petros]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Cheers Petros.

Just before your latest post I mention multiple buoys going into event mode now....curious

National Data Buoy Centre

Edited by duckweather (22/10/2018 17:53)

#1474476 - 22/10/2018 17:59 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petros Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Maffra, Central Gippsland, Vi...
Scary

#1474477 - 22/10/2018 18:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petros]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

It is rather concerning Petros and hope it settles.

There have been after-movements and, as I mentioned in a previous post today that I suspected would happen, near the Gulf of Alaska has come up with a responding quake/tremor - M3+ after the larger Canadian quakes.

Will watch what's happening there.....

Edited by duckweather (22/10/2018 18:11)

#1474478 - 22/10/2018 18:21 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
Hope it doesn’t make the news, wifey will get edgy. We are heading over there next June for a week in Vancouver and a week through the Rockies. Prefer it to be all quiet.

#1474916 - 30/10/2018 11:24 Re: Earthquakes [Re: BIG T]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi BIG T and all.

BIG T - no-one really knows what the future holds. That region of Canada may be wonderfully calm for Vancouver and your family. I wouldn't worry too much.

Been a week or so since my last post.

We have had multiple tremors here...but not from Mother Earth doing her thing. The house next door to me has been demolished. It was like Jurassic Park with machinery grin It was a brick building on a large concrete slab and had a tin roof. The works done there for the week were mind-bendingly noisy and the sudden vibrations were rattling my house. They did a very professional job, but boy I feel like I have, along with my immediate neighbours, been in one of those EQ zones where there is constant movement [during the day]. A couple of times the ground shaking was so strong, it felt like an M4. A couple of spots in my walls have small cracks - but nothing to worry about.
Anyway...relishing the peace and quiet for now and may be able to focus on my studies and the EQ activity.

The major plates been bopping along rather regularly in the last week. With a couple of upticks in activity - which is evident now.

The Antarctic ridge [plate edge with Australia and near Africa and South Sandwich Islands etc.] is behaving as I anticipated it would.

The greater plate edges towards and beyond the Equator are very active too. So I feel the plate 'shuffle' has more to offer and maybe some larger quakes to come.

So may M4+'s have been happening all over the place...interesting times.

Greece's EQ's were felt far and wide, with a small tsunami reported.

The current EQ activity may increase the opportunity for some volcanoes to rev up [haven't checked the recent volcano activity].

I can't help but feel that a near future quake somewhere may lower the land level of an island or coastline [in a spot] by about a metre or so.....or alternatively will raise the seashore line by a metre or more....will see.....

Anyway, hopefully I will post more in the next week.

For now old Duck.

#1474928 - 30/10/2018 23:55 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
marakai Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Maryfarms NQ
Hi all.

Thought that some of you might find this/these sites interesting.

https://quakewatch.net/

also

https://quakewatch.net/predictioncenter/

Check them out as they do have quite a bit of success with their program which has had a bit of interest from NASA as well.

Also thought you might like to take a look at this as well from the recent Sulawesi Quake especially from 4:50 and also 5:30 mins in with the sat pictures, at first I thought this was Tsunami damage but it seems that is not the case and it is all ground movement due to the quake, you can see the neighborhood sliding by in the first few minutes of the video as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcHdvpV5LhA

#1475622 - 09/11/2018 08:14 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
snowbooby Offline
Weather Freak

Earth tremor just felt here in Albany w.a approx 3 mins ago just after 5am. No reports yet.

#1475750 - 13/11/2018 10:42 Re: Earthquakes [Re: snowbooby]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi finally folks.
I have been busy finishing off my studies for 2018 and haven't had much time to concentrate on this thread. If I did try and create a post in the last couple of weeks, it would probably look something like this;

"bhdouh sdvgue ucasdvba cn M15 izihz, Cheers Dcuk crazy "

Soooo, I have seen your post marakai. I have seen their site a while ago and they do have some really interesting info there. They have a pretty good track record too from what I have heard from a U.S. friend.

snowbooby - those quakes in W.A. were very interesting. Notice how this activity set off a couple of smaller one's slightly to the east of that location. What a hive of activity and if the WA folks in that region's head's have been spinning [dizziness, perhaps a wee bit of vertigo too], I wouldn't be surprised. I'd love to know if there was any ground cracking or deformation there [I haven't looked up any info on those quakes yet].

Looking at the Geoscience map for the last week or so, it seems Vic and NSW have been deprived of a little ground movement. Give it time....

One curious thing I noticed before a larger quake north of Australia, north of Indonesia, I noticed some subtle south-to-north horizontal rocking here. You wouldn't have noticed it if you were active. At first I thought it was Vic feeling a bit of a shuffle, but nothing came up on the Geoscience records. It could have been a local movement, but it was a distinctive, though small, movement.....

The major plates and that of the Indian Ocean have been quite active by the looks of it. But I hope to catch up with what is going on and may happen once my brain fog [from study] has cleared smile

Anyway, for now Duck

#1475837 - 15/11/2018 01:06 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
marakai Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Maryfarms NQ
Originally Posted By: duckweather
Hi finally folks.
I have been busy finishing off my studies for 2018 and haven't had much time to concentrate on this thread. If I did try and create a post in the last couple of weeks, it would probably look something like this;

"bhdouh sdvgue ucasdvba cn M15 izihz, Cheers Dcuk crazy "

Soooo, I have seen your post marakai. I have seen their site a while ago and they do have some really interesting info there. They have a pretty good track record too from what I have heard from a U.S. friend.

snowbooby - those quakes in W.A. were very interesting. Notice how this activity set off a couple of smaller one's slightly to the east of that location. What a hive of activity and if the WA folks in that region's head's have been spinning [dizziness, perhaps a wee bit of vertigo too], I wouldn't be surprised. I'd love to know if there was any ground cracking or deformation there [I haven't looked up any info on those quakes yet].

Looking at the Geoscience map for the last week or so, it seems Vic and NSW have been deprived of a little ground movement. Give it time....

One curious thing I noticed before a larger quake north of Australia, north of Indonesia, I noticed some subtle south-to-north horizontal rocking here. You wouldn't have noticed it if you were active. At first I thought it was Vic feeling a bit of a shuffle, but nothing came up on the Geoscience records. It could have been a local movement, but it was a distinctive, though small, movement.....

The major plates and that of the Indian Ocean have been quite active by the looks of it. But I hope to catch up with what is going on and may happen once my brain fog [from study] has cleared smile

Anyway, for now Duck

Good luck with your finals Duck, the world need's more people with an open mind making it through the minefield of Uni today for the future of us all.

#1476738 - 24/11/2018 12:33 Re: Earthquakes [Re: marakai]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks and a belated thanks marakai for your very kind words.

My studies have finished for now, but may continue on next year. Completed some subjects, but just deciding which direction to go in, or go off grid and become a hippie [just kidding] smile

I haven't paid much attention to the EQ goings on generally, but did notice that there seemed to a drive of energy from the south of South America [plate egdes], through to the west and up into the west of the Pacific [notably around NZ and the Pacific Islands], inlcuding some plate edges in the Pacific. From there there may have been a continuation of energy through the countries north of Oz and west again through Indonesia and up into and near India.

Victoria [Oz] finaly had a formally recorded tremor, which I heard more than felt. I have had messages from a couple of friends who live in the vicinity of Frankston and even over to Gippsland, who felt the tremor. There may be another odd one to come yet.
Lower west WA is still active, as is SA. NSW snuck in some movements and we may see some movement come into the eastern side of NZ, lower Australia [this could be the east coast of lower half of Oz].

There may be a push of energy into Fiji surrounds. Maybe Vanuatu may also have a movement.
Another quake may come up south of our continent in the Southern Ocean, maybe also where the plates of Oz meets the Antarctic Plate.

Other than that, I am still generally out of tune with the EQ happenings and what I have said above may also be off the mark....will see.

For now Duck wink

#1477835 - 29/11/2018 17:19 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Found an interesting article about long wave ripples that spread across the planet, believed to possibly have emanated from Mayotte, near Madagascar, according to National Geographic article below. Such was picked up on siemo's around the world.

I have seen such 'waves' before earthquakes on our seismo's and feel that these don't just occur after a quake, but can be signals of impending quakes.

Anyway, have a look at the article below and see what you think was the cause. My gut tells me that it may be possible that the planet, perhaps at the point of near Mayotte, a focused movement on the crust occurred from within the planet [not your usual EQ] as internal pressure focused near there and was powerful enough to send energy waves around the planet. Including or alternatively, there may have been an 'influence' from the solar system somewhere....?

National Geographic article

A seismo in Vic has been showing some constant [for the last 9 hours or so] jitters, which may be referred energy from a potential tremor in Vic or it may be a sign that a quake is brewing in the west Pacific or or north of Australia or Southern Ocean or near NZ.....but can't be sure of course.

There was another pattern of east to west quakes from the east of the lower Pacific to the west and up into Fiji, Vanuatu, Japan, Indonesia and through to the upper right of the Indian Ocean.

I get a feeling we may see an M7 soon somewhere....

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (29/11/2018 17:19)
Edit Reason: extra

#1477978 - 01/12/2018 07:55 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Anchorage, Alaska has come up with a nasty M7 and follow on quakes.
In my last post I mentioned that I felt there was going to be an M7 somewhere. Ironically, I had been putting mental pins in a map of the countries of where I felt [but didn't mention where in this thread] and was drawn to for potential M7's, one or two of them. Anchorage/Alaska, eastern Japan and around Fiji or PNG were the places on my mind's-eye [mental radar]. Now, normally I wouldn't mention locations for larger quakes, as I if I am wrong, I don't want to look like a scare-monger and an idiot. But there are times where I get very strong feelings, after observing where the energy is popping up and perhaps behaving in a 'suspicious' way as a pre-warning of potential larger movement.

Regarding Alaska, I had been noticing and sensing some tremor/quake activity there that caught my eye. At one point there was a north/south-south/north line of tremors through the country at one point. Then it would 'snag' in a spot and 'centre' on Anchorage. Equally, I noticed that there was a 'gathering' of tremors on the west coast and on land of the [west] U.S and a lack of [according to the EQ maps I glanced at] quakes on/off the west coast of Canada.

I still feel that the Alaskan M7 may not be that last larger quake we will see in the short term either in the Pacific region or elsewhere on the planet. I may be wrong and the locations I mentioned above, apart from Anchorage, may be incorrect too. So, as always, take what I say with a pinch-of-salt.

I hope the folks in Anchorage are OK and that this quake/s hasn't caused the sort of damage Anchorage saw in the 1960's [1964] with their M9.2 disastrous quake.

For now, Duck.

#1477982 - 01/12/2018 09:07 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Duck. Do you think the Anchorage quake could be a precursor to something bigger in California? I have a sibling who has just moved to Ventura county. Hopefully nothing big happens but it is such an active zone

#1477986 - 01/12/2018 09:46 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Knot]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Knot - that's a doozie of a question smile

I don't think anyone can accurately predict when or where the next bigger quake will occur for the California region. My gut feeling is that the offshore region SW or WSW of Eureka in the more northern part of California may be the next spot for a potential tremor. But having said that, the regions around and near [west of] the Salton Sea is rattling a little with small movements. This region is East and SE of L.A.. San Perdo [just south of L.A. has snuck in a small tremor [on the coast], but I generally feel [in my amateur perspective] that quakes/tremors may bypass Ventura.

L.A. at some point in the future may feel a tremor, but it looks like much of the current tremor activity is maintaining in the mountain ranges to the east of the coast [e.g. the San Bernardino Mountain Ranges and dotting along the San Andreas Fault here and there]. The Rocky Mountain Ranges are also feeling a bit of a run of tremors too.

The Sierra Nevada Mountain Ranges [including east of in Nevada] is reasonably active atm..

Some energy is running into the plates offshore of Oregon.

Ventura County may some time in the future feel a small tremor nearby, but I don't think it will be the focus of a larger quake. But that could also be just a small movement passed from a quake or tremor in another distant location.

But please, absolutely take all I have rattled on about with a pinch-of-salt [perhaps a bucket full]. My perceptions or perspectives can be inaccurate.

Cheers, Duck wink

#1477994 - 01/12/2018 11:28 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Good stuff Duck.

#1478114 - 02/12/2018 10:43 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi again Duck. I ran across an article from last year about earthquake predictors. Primarily about a couple of Kiwi guys. And mention made of a guy in U.S by the name of Michael Janitch. The article is written from the skeptical point of view. Just wondered if you have heard of the guys in the article. The Janitch guy (Dutchinse) seems pretty interesting. He has a presence on facebook and twitter (neither of which I use) but he also has an earthquake prediction site and also a live feed on the twitch.tv gamer portal.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/88269767/who-are-the-men-who-say-they-can-predict-earthquakes

https://www.dutchsinse.com

https://m.twitch.tv/dutchsinseofficial

#1478139 - 02/12/2018 15:15 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wynnum SE Brisbane
Mate
Google hooperbeets earthquake

He is definitely onto something but still early days
I have benn following him for just over a year now

#1478146 - 02/12/2018 16:03 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Knot and tsunami and all.

A while ago I had a look at one of the U.S. fellows yt videos, out of curiosity. At that time he stated that the SE of the Pacific [around the Chile region] was not on the horizon that day/week for a quake or movement. When a massive quake hit the region that day and caused terrible issues for the Chileans, he went off 'air' for a while, I presume he felt humiliated by not predicting a quake for the South American/Chile region, after stating that nothing will happen there according to his calculations. Because he went 'off-air' I 'went' and had a look at Frank Hoogerbeets sites for his take on EQ prediction or 'reading' of the signs he felt are good signs of potential quakes. Frank knows his stuff. After finding Frank and knowing he is a humble and interesting person, I only on the odd occasion visit his sites and see what his perspectives are, whilst remaining true to my amateur [and not always accurate] self and my own instincts or feelings about EQ energy.

I have heard of the NZ guys, but don't follow them, for the reason only that I usually don't follow others, whilst respecting their 'take' on EQ activity. But now that you have mentioned them Knot, I'll trot over to have a look at how they do their calculations and how they perceive their thoughts, out of curiosity.

Sometimes comparing methods of predictions/ing is interesting and for those folks whose ideas are steeped in solid study and passion, along with a good track record, are those folks who I generally will have a glance at [their sites] on that odd occasion. Someone, such as Frank H., does so with that passion, study of various aspects [the science eludes me somewhat though] and in such a way that is an interesting and humble expression of his knowledge and skill. He is a nice person too smile

By all means, anyone who wishes to follow and learn from whom ever they wish to do so, is their prerogative. The only thing I suggest is to keep an open mind, gain a general, basic or thorough and eclectic understanding of what scientific and/or amateur methods are used to reach conclusions about where quakes may occur and see that EQ prediction is and can be tricky. There are many who don't believe in such and there are those who are prepared to consider an alternative approach to EQ anticipation or prediction. Each to their own I say smile

A person who aims to anticipate when and where EQ's may or will occur is best serving the community if they are of a humble nature. One who does not grandstand or fear-monger; one who admits their errors or failed predictions and one who graciously behaves, responds or speaks when they have accurately predicted [not my favourite word] an EQ occurrence.

Cheers for now, Duck wink

Edited by duckweather (02/12/2018 16:06)
Edit Reason: spelling again

Page 142 of 154 < 1 2 ... 140 141 142 143 144 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
colorado, Effrem, whitsunday
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image