NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 143 of 154 < 1 2 ... 141 142 143 144 145 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1478147 - 02/12/2018 16:08 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Tsunami. I worked out from an old thread where Duck mentions a Frank Hooogerbeet http://forum.weatherzone.com.au/ubbthreads.php/topics/1420157/Re_Earthquakes
ie Frank Hoogerbeet aka Ditrianum. Very cool. A cursory look at his prediction website and Youtube feed shows he predicted on the 29th a biggish quake somewhere. I don't see that he specifically mentioned Alaska but I have only had a peek so he might have. It's the holy grail of natural phenomena prediction. Seismic activity has killed a hell of a lot of people throughout history.

Hi Duck. I was posting as you must have been. Love your closing comments about humble. I know nothing bout Janitch other than to say he seems a bit of a grand stander. Could be wrong. Were you diplomatically referring to him about the Chile quake. Keep up the great posts Duck. I been lurking.

Edited by Knot (02/12/2018 16:15)

#1478188 - 02/12/2018 20:22 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Knot]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi Knot.

Um not Knot wink re: referring to the last paragraph of my post. I just meant that those folks, even myself, who like to dabble in trying to pre-empt tremors here and there, need to be humble and not dramatic in the relaying of such ideas. I wasn't meaning to refer to Mr. Janitch....just a general comment. We have to be careful of what we say and how we say it. I, for one, would never want to scare people, so when I suspect a larger quake may be brewing, there are two things in my mind.
1/ I can't say exactly where or when one may strike [coz I really don't and can't possibly have the exact facts], and;
2/ If my mind, on a rare occasion, may coincidentally have the right location and general timing in mind [like Anchorage], I don't want to say in case I am wrong and I am not [and don't want to be] a scare-monger.

Thanks for lurking Knot and your lovely comments wink I appreciate it.

Diplomatic Duck or the cryptic quack grin

#1478221 - 03/12/2018 11:35 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: duckweather

Diplomatic Duck or the cryptic quack grin

Don't forget Disco Duck lol.
Interesting NG article about some seismic waves that were a bit unusual that started on 11th November. https://www.nationalgeographic.com/scien...-earth-geology/

What a planet!!

#1478437 - 04/12/2018 20:57 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Knot]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Knot and all.

Diplomatic, sometimes decrepit or dopey Duck. Duck's disco days are long gone. Duck's sinews, knee joints and hips don't 'dance' like they used to. grin

Knot, I did see that report on the unusual seismic waves. I reckon they are a harmonic resonance, perhaps influenced by or in conjunction with maybe electro-magnetic or gravitational waves [involving solar system influences], combining with subsurface elements within our planet. It looked, according to the report, to be rather focused near the Mayotte region [as I mentioned in a previous post - on the previous page on this thread]. My thoughts here may be a bit mish-mash, and maybe I don't explain myself very well when it come to sciency 'talk', the activity may involve or influence magma activity too. Maybe I am wrong - but just throwing some thoughts out there.

I would have anticipated that science may have an answer of sorts for that harmonic behaviour. I found the report fascinating and wish I had the answer as to what caused the seimo readouts around the planet. Whatever it was, I feel that it was on a major scale.

I get a feeling that we may see a larger quake come up somewhere between the Kermadec Islands [north of NZ] and PNG. In between we have Fiji, Vanuatu, Tonga etc.. I have been watching the tremor/quake activity there and in Indonesia above Australia, and feel that there may a chance of a larger quake soon. M7? or M8? I am particularly drawn to the 'ear' in the Pacific [near Fiji]. I could be very wrong.

Japan has been a bit jittery, coming up with the dd quake on either side of the northern island, which [in my mind's eye] feels like there is some pressure brewing or present in the east of Japan [Pacific Ocean side].

Australia is spotting with tremors all over the place now. Small tremors have been coming up in land. Check out the map here - Geoscience - to see what I mean.
This activity could mean that Australia may go on to feel a few more smaller tremors before a moderately decent sized tremor [M4...M4+] may come up. It feels to me that our continent is feeling some pressures here and there and something is going to 'give'.

Anyway, there is always more EQ activity on our planet to rattle on about, but I may natter about that another time.

Cheers for now demure Duck smile

#1478467 - 05/12/2018 08:09 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Have you ever had a peek at Kepler's 'Harmonices Mundi' Ms Duck? Considered quaint by the empiricist dominated science of today, but I think old Kep was really onto something. Unfortunately science poo poos a lot of thinking about things that don't jive with the 5 standard senses. Hearing and feeling things ordinarliy inaudible and not feelable ( is that a word he he) to most people doesn't make things any less real. I don't think there is a person on this planet who can see the magnetism force unaided. But seeing the effects of magnetism is. A person who claimed to see magnetic fields would be thought of as strange. They would be 1 amongst billions. But it could be the billions not seeing magnetic fields with the eyes is the 'defect'. Am I making any sense?

#1478470 - 05/12/2018 09:25 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Knot]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Wikipedia has a good synopsis of Keppie's Mundi https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonices_Mundi

#1478489 - 05/12/2018 15:41 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wollongong, NSW, Aus
7.6 in New Caledonia, tsunamis possible. Not sure re Aus atm.

#1478491 - 05/12/2018 16:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

NO TSUNAMI THREAT TO AUSTRALIA
Issued by the Joint Australian Tsunami Warning Centre (JATWC) at 3:30 PM AEDT on
Wednesday 05 December 2018

********************************************************************************
SUMMARY:
An undersea earthquake of magnitude 7.5 has occurred at 3:18 PM AEDT on Wednesday
05 December 2018 near Southeast of Loyalty Islands.

THERE IS NO TSUNAMI THREAT TO THE AUSTRALIAN MAINLAND, ISLANDS OR TERRITORIES.

For further information check the Bureau's website www.bom.gov.au/tsunami or call
1300 TSUNAMI (1300 878 6264).

No further updates will be issued unless the situation changes.

#1478493 - 05/12/2018 16:35 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Kino Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yet the PTWC says a 0.3m tsunamis is possible for Australian coastlines ?

TSUNAMI WAVES REACHING 1 TO 3 METERS ABOVE THE TIDE LEVEL ARE
POSSIBLE ALONG SOME COASTS OF

NEW CALEDONIA... AND VANUATU.

* TSUNAMI WAVES REACHING 0.3 TO 1 METERS ABOVE THE TIDE LEVEL
ARE POSSIBLE FOR SOME COASTS OF

FIJI.

* TSUNAMI WAVES ARE FORECAST TO BE LESS THAN 0.3 METERS ABOVE
THE TIDE LEVEL FOR THE COASTS OF

AMERICAN SAMOA... ANTARCTICA... AUSTRALIA... CHILE...
CHINA... CHUUK... COLOMBIA... COOK ISLANDS... COSTA
RICA... ECUADOR... EL SALVADOR... FRENCH POLYNESIA...
GUAM... GUATEMALA... HAWAII... HONDURAS... HOWLAND AND
BAKER... INDONESIA... JAPAN... JARVIS ISLAND... JOHNSTON
ATOLL... KERMADEC ISLANDS... KIRIBATI... KOSRAE...
MALAYSIA... MARSHALL ISLANDS... MEXICO... MIDWAY ISLAND...
NAURU... NEW ZEALAND... NICARAGUA... NIUE... NORTHERN
MARIANAS... NORTHWESTERN HAWAIIAN ISLANDS... PALAU...
PALMYRA ISLAND... PANAMA... PAPUA NEW GUINEA... PERU...
PHILIPPINES... PITCAIRN ISLANDS... POHNPEI... RUSSIA...
SAMOA... SOLOMON ISLANDS... TAIWAN... TOKELAU... TONGA...
TUVALU... WAKE ISLAND... WALLIS AND FUTUNA... AND YAP.

* ACTUAL AMPLITUDES AT THE COAST MAY VARY FROM FORECAST
AMPLITUDES DUE TO UNCERTAINTIES IN THE FORECAST AND LOCAL
FEATURES. IN PARTICULAR MAXIMUM TSUNAMI AMPLITUDES ON ATOLLS
AND AT LOCATIONS WITH FRINGING OR BARRIER REEFS WILL LIKELY
BE MUCH SMALLER THAN THE FORECAST INDICATES.

* FOR OTHER AREAS COVERED BY THIS PRODUCT A FORECAST HAS NOT
YET BEEN COMPUTED. THE FORECAST WILL BE EXPANDED IF
NECESSARY IN SUBSEQUENT PRODUCTS.

#1478505 - 05/12/2018 17:47 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Kino]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi Knot and all.

That Wiki link was very interesting. There are effects of changes in the planet's behaviour [apart from obvious quake sensations] that a number of folks do feel. Some call them 'sensitives' and some folks can't explain why they feel dizzy or our of kilter momentarily. If gravity waves and other phenomenon could be seen by the naked eye, would that be an incredible sight?

As I said in a previous post, I had a strong suspicion that the 'ear' in the Pacific [involving islands of either Fiji, Tonga, PNG or somewhere in-between, that there maybe an M7 or M8 was right. As Knot has already mentioned, there was an M7+ in New Caledonia. I am yet to catch up on further info surrounding this large quake and subsequent quakes in that region.

There may be follow on quakes, perhaps of a lesser magnitude, in some surrounding countries in the west Pacific. It may not be beyond the realm of possibility that one may come up in the SE of the Pacific too...but will see.

Cheers, Duck.

#1478506 - 05/12/2018 17:53 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wynnum SE Brisbane
Hit the nail on the head duck well done
Question. Will it generate a tsunami

#1478510 - 05/12/2018 17:59 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Thanks tsunami. I can't explain it, but I was absolutely honed in on that general region.

Yes these large quakes have spawned a tsunami apparently. The USGS has said that Vanuatu may receive a 1 to 3 meter potential tsunami and Fiji a smaller one. My guess is that our coastline may see a small water disturbance too. Will have to check some more as I have only glanced at a general report from the USGS.

Cheers, Duck.

#1478511 - 05/12/2018 18:01 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Sorry Duckie. Credit goes to for Kino mentionning the New Caledonia quake. Knot, Kino. Easy mistake. Big quake. And you did have an itch about that region just yesterday. A shallow quake at 6 miles depth and a hundred clicks or so east of Tadine in NC according to USGS.

#1478515 - 05/12/2018 18:12 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Knot]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yes Knot - not Knot but Kino. Had a massive headache all day and mixed that up grin Dopey Duck

#1478518 - 05/12/2018 18:25 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Lol Duck. So would this be friction of Australia and Pacific plates?

#1478521 - 05/12/2018 18:36 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Knot]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yes Knot, it looks like both plates have interacted to create these many quakes. 2 x M7 is quite incredible.
These quakes involved the South New Hebrides Trench, which is where the plates meet [according to what has been recognized as part of the Aussie and Pacific plate edges]. I get a feeling it is not subduction,

There may be a run on of energy from this undersea region along the plates. Fiji has come up with a responding M4+ and there may be more to come to both the east and west of this location. Maybe including PNG and the Kermadecs...???

Cheers, dim Duck.

#1478523 - 05/12/2018 19:01 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Has anyone noticed how the Australian plate bears a superficial resemblance to the lower 48 USA and the Pacific plate looks a little like Africa. But maybe I drink too much lol

#1478535 - 05/12/2018 19:41 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Knot]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yes they do Knot. smile You are not drinking too much - lol. You are just observant.

Also if you run a pen over all of the undersea mounts/mounds, interesting patterns/lines emerge too.

Duck

#1478555 - 05/12/2018 21:24 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

The big kahuna scribbling on earth surface eh Duck. Nice thought.
Just a quibble with my post about quake being east of Tadine. It had a tad south in it. Seeing quake epicentre was in the middle of water I might as well say that it was 91 nautical miles from Tadine on a final bearing of 105 21′ 19″

P.s I been doing a bit of sailing lately. Loads of nautical ravings

Edited by Knot (05/12/2018 21:32)

#1478564 - 05/12/2018 22:59 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Knot]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Very funny Knot grin I should have clarified that the intense joining of the 'dots' of all the sea mounds/mounts would not only be after a few strong coffees and a good pair of reading glasses, but all done on a paper map. I think I'd freak out a few folks around the planet if they saw a giant pen ripping through the ocean past their homeland, just for my entertainment lol laugh

As for the nautical references, you refreshed my memory of my sailing days - many moons ago. The image for your icon had me thinking some time ago that you were a boaty/salty.

Cheers, Duck

Page 143 of 154 < 1 2 ... 141 142 143 144 145 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
sharjay
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image