Page 144 of 144 < 1 2 ... 142 143 144
Topic Options
#1478585 - 06/12/2018 07:27 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Toronto N.S.W
Yes a lot of salt in the veins Duck.
I Iike my little avatar. Knot as in 1 nautical mile an hour. And knot as in.... well a knot. Give you some points if you can tell me what kind of knot?
cheers Duckie

#1478610 - 06/12/2018 10:39 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
petethemoskeet Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: toowoomba
OK maybe a Reef knot

#1478635 - 06/12/2018 15:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: petethemoskeet]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi Knot and petethemoskeet.

I would have said reef knot too. 10 points go to petethemoskeet grin

I saw in a report I forgot to save, regarding the big quakes near New Caledonia, that the sea foamed up in a location within the region. Now, I don't really know much about what would occur visually when quakes like this occur near plate edges or trenches, except that I would expect a tsunami of sorts for quakes that shallow. But.....I mentioned in a previous post that I didn't think these EQ's were possibly because of subduction. My feelings were that it may have been a crush and sea floor collapse or push up. If anyone else has heard of sea foaming due to subduction activity - please correct me. I may be wrong.
Have you noticed how some activity has picked up on the west coast of the U.S. and particularly in the SE of the Pacific - where I suspected that it may [I meant the west coastal regions of South America and what may occur yet - the main offshore islands like Easter Island etc..].

Hawaii has been seemingly niggled too, even though it has been plodding along recently with small tremors. But I think the biggies in New Caledonia have slightly energized Hawaii.

I personally feel that the major activity near New Caledonia has sent out some seismic waves, just enough to niggle fault lines at a distance across and around the Pacific. I also feel that the energy expelled from the new Caledonia quakes is potentially gonna run through the west [-> Indonesia, PNG, and across the top of Australia {other countries} and through to the NE of the India Ocean {maybe as far as the bay of Bengal}]. This energy may also slightly niggle the Kermadecs and back down through NZ.

Did any of you folks, who live on the coast of Queensland or northern NSW notice any water changes due to the New Caledonia quakes? I am just interested to know.

We may see a run of M5's come up in the Pacific in the next few days.

For now, Duck.

#1478659 - 06/12/2018 19:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

5 points each Duck and Pete. Cause you can't see ends of the working ends' of the rope comprising the knot, you can't tell if they are on same side. If they were on same side you would be correct that it is a reef (square knot). If on the other hand the working ends were on opposite sides it would be a thief knot. Legend has it that sailors of yor would tie a thief knot around their bags of kit and purse, and if they found a reef knot to be used to re tie after being opened they knew it had been rifled. Back to matters geological.
Interesting about the foaming Duck. Magma heating? Gas compression and decompression?
It would be good to hear if coasties northwards observed anything out of the ordinary

#1478661 - 06/12/2018 19:37 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
petethemoskeet Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Knot..re the thief knot.I think it has been called a granny knot as well.

#1478677 - 06/12/2018 22:11 Re: Earthquakes [Re: petethemoskeet]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

A granny is tied left over right, left over right. A reef is left over right, right over left. Unfortunately I have to tell you Pete that a thief aint a granny and a granny aint a thief. An neither reef, granny or thief are a grief. He he he. What is this a knot tyers forum lol

#1478706 - 07/12/2018 10:28 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
petethemoskeet Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Yeah why Knot.
Other knots are Clove hitch,Sheepshank

Edited by petethemoskeet (07/12/2018 10:30)

#1478707 - 07/12/2018 10:28 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Knot]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi folks.

Are we getting tied in knots over knots? I know it has been 50 years since I set my derriere down in one of our yachts on Port Phillip Bay or Phillip Island. So I was 5 when I started sailing with my father and brother, and continued on casually till having horses took over my life. smile So my knowledge of knots is a bit sketchy, but sailing boats and tall ships still have a place in my heart. Give me the sea any day.

Anyway, I did a little bit of ferreting around the net for info in what causes foaming in the sea. I already knew about foaming which occurs when weather systems can stir up tiny sea life into a foaming mess, but was reminded [or I should say was a continue on with my little bit of a suspicion] when I read;

Gizmodo info

and;

USGS [more scientific read] info

.....about other reasons for foaming to occur involving volcanoes and EQ's. NZ had this happen in recent years - magma foaming.

The cause of the foaming that occurred in New Caledonia, is something I don't know about [cause], unless someone sees a report on what type of foam it was - whether it was related to magma or a weather-type phenomenon. Would satisfy my curiosity to know.

Australia is still rocking along with various tremors - the number of which is, I feel, an increase in the normal activity....

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (07/12/2018 10:30)
Edit Reason: extra

#1478725 - 07/12/2018 15:26 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Some handy knots there Pete. And some nice use of the old homophone he he. Listening to 'She's Not There' by Santana. Get it!!! Not there. Never mind lol.
Your still a spring chicken Duckie at only 55. Damn, the gees gees won out over boating. Same thing occured with a sibling of mine. Horse mad. The old man wanted me to be a jockey. Bit hard when I ended up over well over six feet tall and looked like I could carry the horse rather than the other way round lol.

Interesting reads about foaming. I got a bad case of the blebs. I recall that pumice float off NZ a fair while ago. Was there more of a volcanic component involved in the quake than your garden variety quake

#1478731 - 07/12/2018 15:53 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Knot]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Still a lot of activity in that area of ESE of Tadine.

#1478929 - 09/12/2018 11:15 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
Interesting that there have been a few tremors off Beachport SA recently - this is the site of a very big earthquake, that caused significant damage and liquefaction / slumping in 1897. Hopefully this is not a prelude.

#1478931 - 09/12/2018 11:22 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Knot]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Quite itchy in that Tadine region yesterday.

#1478933 - 09/12/2018 11:30 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Knot]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Some additional info about that Beachport quake Perrywinkle https://sites.google.com/site/earthquakesinadel/history/beachport-1897
Lucky Australia sits on its own plate with boundaries long ways away mostly. Not immune. But definetly a plus. Unkike Japan, Indo, West coasts of North and South America, Himalayas, Southern Europe, SW Asia, China and anywhere else where big subducting happening

#1479055 - 10/12/2018 00:41 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
marakai Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Maryfarms NQ
Originally Posted By: duckweather
Hi folks.

Are we getting tied in knots over knots? I know it has been 50 years since I set my derriere down in one of our yachts on Port Phillip Bay or Phillip Island. So I was 5 when I started sailing with my father and brother, and continued on casually till having horses took over my life. smile So my knowledge of knots is a bit sketchy, but sailing boats and tall ships still have a place in my heart. Give me the sea any day.

Anyway, I did a little bit of ferreting around the net for info in what causes foaming in the sea. I already knew about foaming which occurs when weather systems can stir up tiny sea life into a foaming mess, but was reminded [or I should say was a continue on with my little bit of a suspicion] when I read;

Gizmodo info

and;

USGS [more scientific read] info

.....about other reasons for foaming to occur involving volcanoes and EQ's. NZ had this happen in recent years - magma foaming.

The cause of the foaming that occurred in New Caledonia, is something I don't know about [cause], unless someone sees a report on what type of foam it was - whether it was related to magma or a weather-type phenomenon. Would satisfy my curiosity to know.

Australia is still rocking along with various tremors - the number of which is, I feel, an increase in the normal activity....

For now, Duck.

Hey Duck came across this an thought you might lie to read it RE: Foamng.

Other causes

It has recently been postulated that tsunamis may be generated in areas of the sea floor where gas expulsion or seepage pits occur. These structures, up to 20 m wide and 1-2 m deep, emit water and natural gas derived from underlying intrusions. The subaerial equivalents of these structures are mud volcanoes and mud pools which are found along faults and in areas of diapiric upwelling (i.e. where there is an upward injection of material through the surrounding strata). Mud volcanoes and pits generally have a similar form and dimensions to those on the sea floor, and also emit gas and saline water.

Numerous sea floor pits occur in the offshore Gisborne-Poverty Bay region, and are thought to mark sites of potential tsunami generation. Two New Zealand tsunamis (25 March 1947, and 17 May 1947) were generated in an area of sea floor off Gisborne. This area is penetrated and fractured by diapiric intrusions that have occasionally exploded mud and breccia originating at a depth of several kilometres.

The March 1947 tsunami was probably caused by diapiric intrusion and gas blowout on the sea floor. An earthquake accompanied the tsunami, but due to its low magnitude (<6), it was not considered to be a tsunamigenic earthquake. During the earthquake, a Wainui resident reported seeing the sea froth. Foaming of the sea is consistent with disturbance of the sea bottom and shelf sediments with emission of gas during explosive mud volcanism.

http://geohazards.massey.ac.nz/tsunamis/formation_t.html

#1479108 - 10/12/2018 10:09 Re: Earthquakes [Re: marakai]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Nice article Marakai. A bit of the old mud volcanism. Rotorua at seafloor.

#1479361 - 11/12/2018 17:11 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Knot]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Knot
anywhere else where big subducting happening

I should point out before someone else does, that for some of the regions I mentioned the volatility is due to slippage and not subduction e.g West Coast of U.S.A San Andreas fault. But premise the same. A country like Australia that sits a good distance from plate boundaries is going to have less volatility

Edited by Knot (11/12/2018 17:16)

Page 144 of 144 < 1 2 ... 142 143 144

Who's Online
32 registered (Crimson_Tide_, lou lou, Bunyas, Raindammit, FujiWha, Alexia, drivenunder, slipperyfish, Ootz, Homer, Brett T, Dan101, woodhouse, batty, Ollieo, Night Rain, Steve777, Sbv72, cold@28, Lani, Pharbelle, gleno71, Simmo FNQ, Dr Philosophy, Sandbank, Colin Maitland, Davey440, 5 invisible), 210 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Bernd_Northrhine-Westfalia_Germany, lobione, Robbie
Forum Stats
29733 Members
32 Forums
24028 Topics
1506741 Posts

Max Online: 2925 @ 02/02/2011 22:23
Satellite Image