NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 154 of 315 < 1 2 ... 152 153 154 155 156 ... 314 315 >
Topic Options
#1367456 - 26/02/2016 10:34 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
DaveM Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Bathurst NSW about 700 m asl
Mate that howling wind down there can be horrendous and was always the worst weather condition as far as I was concerned.

It brought down a huge gum tree near our house in Ridgeway that just brushed the house behind us. There were plenty of the same trees in that line of trees beside our place that could have come down in the same manner and clobbered us. Always worried me because our bedroom was probably most at risk and closest to them.

There were times when I would not stay in front of several large windows on that side of the house, the glass would bow inwards!!! They never busted though but who knew that glass flexed like that!!!

Thankfully we don't have anything like the Tassie winds up here. It was the only thing I disliked down there, those heavy heavy winds. Storm force not nice!! smile

#1367495 - 26/02/2016 17:57 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: DaveM]
PVW Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Thuringowa, Townsville QLD
Originally Posted By: MOUNTAIN h2o
Hi PVW , yes it's a regular occurrence and October is known locally as the windy month. It's hard to describe but the whole house shudders and windows rattle , sometimes the manhole lifts as well. The tilt-a-doors are copping a hammering tonight, but surprisingly there is rarely little or no damage to infrastructure or vegetation . Unlike a Cyclone where it tears rooves off and strips trees. I think it because the winds are in waves of gusts , 120kmr for a 5 second burst and then nothing then bang she hits again. I think because it happens so often that anything man made or natural that can't withstand it gets blown away and that causes less damage next time. What I'm trying to say is unlike NQ where a Cyclone may come close enough every 3 years things don't get tested. Down here sometimes it's 3 times a week and if something isn't up to it then WOOSHKA.
Anyways it's bin night and for some reason it's always blowing a gale and wheelie bins , wind and hilly Hobart don't mix. I have taken to the idea of filling my bin with a foot of water before putting it out. Works a treat cool

I love the idea of putting water into your bin to stop it blowing away, that's awesome!
I hadn't really thought about it in that respect (brief 5 second bursts), as I've only ever experienced winds over 100km/h during cyclones or severe thunderstorms.
Plus, as you say, with it occurring so often, it makes sense that everything would be used to it.

Originally Posted By: DaveM
Mate that howling wind down there can be horrendous and was always the worst weather condition as far as I was concerned.
Thankfully we don't have anything like the Tassie winds up here. It was the only thing I disliked down there, those heavy heavy winds. Storm force not nice!! smile

Thanks for your insight Dave smile

Personally, I enjoy a good windy day, in saying that though, days with gusts getting up to 60-70 km/h are more what I'm used to when I say Windy day.

Question for anyone,
Does it get annoying having the deal with strong winds so frequently? Or is it just something you get used to?

Anyway, on the topic of current weather, I see Mt Wellington was 4C this morning, but with the winds gusting up to 150km/h, the apparent temp was down to -16.5C.... now that's bitterly cold!

#1367496 - 26/02/2016 17:58 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
Stale fish Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Leslie vale 310m asl
Hi Dave,

Gusted 82kmhr last night.

Had plenty of trees on the ground around the nursery this morning.

Winds increasing again now!!

Mt over 100km again now.

#1367532 - 27/02/2016 09:45 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
payshense Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: West Coast, TAS, 310m ASL / Bu...
Another 12.2mm this morning. Overcast with drizzle and calm.

#1367542 - 27/02/2016 11:37 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
DaveM Offline

PVW - I got accustomed to gale force winds - very common, especially if you are in an exposed area (mostly exposed to Western quadrants)

It was the storm force winds that annoyed or worried me.

I know up in Qld, the sea breeze can often be more like a gale. So you are used to that sort of wind. Tassie lies in the "Roaring 40's" it's the wind belt that the old explorers always headed for, it moved the sailing ships along nicely. So in my memory, STILL days are fairly rare in much of Tasmania. Nearly always a breeze, and that's actually nice most of the time.

Don't forget that Tassie will regularly have low pressure systems with pressure around and below 1000 hpa. You would call that sort of pressure a cyclone grin

Howdy Dave (SF) bit breezy down there it seems grin

H2O - water in the bin - wow, I see the logic but do you put a milk crate in the bottom to keep the rubbish dry? grin

I had to buy a cast iron outdoor setting at Ridgeway, and every month or so we'd have winds strong enough to knock the cast iron chairs over. Anything lighter would disappear over the balcony railings. smile Then i'd have to go fetch the next day!!

I was on an open and elevated block though at around 350m smile

#1367565 - 27/02/2016 16:35 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
MOUNTAIN h2o Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Hobart Lenah Valley Tas 198 as...
Hi all from Hobart , another sunny and top of 25.9c day today.
Wish someone would tell the BOM to add at least 3 to 5 degrees to their forecast max and they would be closer more often. poke
March is looking worse as the newer forecasts come out , the first 5 days are going to well over average and the next 5 after aren't much cooler. Nothing surprising though , March has been very hot the last 3 years down here and this one will be no different.
Hi Dave , no milk crates are used to keep the rubbish dry. It's rubbish and we bag it anyways. The idea is that when the bin is emptied into the truck the water just runs out. I've also done it with the recycling bin as well and it saves picking up broken glass and strewn milk containers from the road at 6:00 am after a night of winds.

#1367591 - 27/02/2016 20:57 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: MOUNTAIN h2o]
PVW Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: MOUNTAIN h2o
Hi all from Hobart , another sunny and top of 25.9c day today.
Wish someone would tell the BOM to add at least 3 to 5 degrees to their forecast max and they would be closer more often. poke

That has been happening a lot lately as the BOM moves more and more towards computer automated forecasting.
Even up here, today our forecast top in Townsville was 35, but it actually reached 37.
Their forecasts here are most off during Winter. Last winter, a town called Bowen south of here was consistently recording minimums of 6-8, while the forecasts each day were showing 15-17 for each morning. I sent the BOM an email and they looked into it and told me their computer automated temperature forecasts were performing poorly and they'd be manually overriding them from that point on. They did and it completely fixed the forecast errors for a while.

I'll be fully qualified for a meteorology job with the BOM 10 months from now, so hopefully I can get a job with them and try and reduce the errors in forecast temps down there once I get down there in future (well that's my goal anyway :P)

#1367593 - 27/02/2016 21:33 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
Stale fish Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Leslie vale 310m asl
H2o great idea with water in bin!!!!

Hi Dave,

Very nice to be rid of winds again.

looking dry again and warm.

Best summer I can remember!!!

Power issue's in the state are becoming a major problem.

records will need to fall to make a big difference and save us from power cuts in my thoughts.

Great Lake 17.95m down lowest I have see n was 18m odd in 2006 or 07.

lakes now 16.8%

Heard from a Hydro worker that if Tasmanian's, new how bad the water and power situation was there wouldn't be a generator left on the shelf in any Tasmanian store!!!!!!!!

Very glad I am all ready for a black out, with back up power supplies all sorted.

Dave

Edited by Stale fish (27/02/2016 21:35)

#1367596 - 28/02/2016 00:02 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
DaveM Offline

H I completely understand the water thing smile

Yes automated forecasts can be quite poor for here too at times

Dave you are obviously enjoying the heat.

If climate change keeps dams drier you will clearly need other. Sources. Can't have wind farm on every second hill

#1367628 - 28/02/2016 11:06 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
payshense Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: West Coast, TAS, 310m ASL / Bu...
Hi all

10.7mm this morning, giving me 58.7mm for the last 4 days and 133.5mm for the last fortnight. Have had enough precipitation to register in the gauge every day in this period. At this point with only a day to go, Strahan looks like being just above mean rainfall for February. Records for Mount Read on BOM site do not include mean rainfall figures (I cant find them anyway) so hard to say if above or below mean. And this is only my first year of keeping records here at home, so I cant say much about averages either.

This rain has had a great effect on the lawn, garden, level in the water tank. And best of all the level in my spring fed dam has risen enough to have fresh water flowing over the spillway for the first time in months. smile

#1367655 - 28/02/2016 17:45 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
MOUNTAIN h2o Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Hobart Lenah Valley Tas 198 as...
Hello Weather watchers.
Firstly Hobart today got near 20 c , before a misty rain settled in . No big falls just a light mist but has cooled to a pleasant 13c.
Well I think the BIG NEWS that we will all see is what looks like occurring in the first 8 - 10 days of March. The whole of the South East including us is about be put through yet another Heat Wave. No one including myself expected that once it turned to Autumn that the heat would suddenly abate , what I didn't expect was it would be that crazy. Yes I know I might be getting ahead of myself again , but everywhere I look wether it be Weather Underground / Weather.com or AccuWeather it is all looking like the same scenario. Even on here the talk on the other forum sections is starting to emerge.
I'm yet to see any media articles on what may happen , but you can bet the "C" word will be used for certain.
Cheers from The Bart.

#1367664 - 28/02/2016 18:53 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
Snowies Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Westbury
We on for a record March MH2O? Calling it early? laugh poke

Had 30mm last week, mowing the large lawn weekly now - its a forest of weeds, but we'll pretend its a lawn.

#1367677 - 28/02/2016 20:11 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
DaveM Offline

Yes a bit too warm for our tastes for sure this coming week. Sadly continues a very warm summer. I am really looking for an initial slight cooling after coming weekend then a better heat clearance around mid month. Fingers crossed

#1367679 - 28/02/2016 20:13 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
DaveM Offline

Wow dan and p at your precip. Well done, would love something like that indeed

#1367710 - 29/02/2016 01:35 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
PVW Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Looking beautiful down there this morning'
1:30am obs are 12.0 in Hobart and 4.0 on Mt W!
Meanwhile up here in Townsville, it's 29.7 right now on my weather station.

I'm very jealous!!

#1367861 - 29/02/2016 22:33 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
PVW Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I wasn't aware that cloud seeding was a common practice in Tasmania?
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/news/energ...m-levels/462937

Quote:
Hydro Tasmania will begin its cloud seeding season a month early as Tasmania's energy crisis continues.

The state-owned company usually starts cloud seeding which involves introducing particles into suitable clouds to encourage rain in May, but will begin on April 1 in a bid to counter falling water levels.

Hydro Tasmania's latest storage update shows dam levels have dropped another 0.7 per cent down to 16.1 per cent, with no significant rainfall forecast for at least the next week.

#1367898 - 01/03/2016 01:44 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: PVW]
Winter_lover Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Tasmania, Hobart
Originally Posted By: PVW
Looking beautiful down there this morning'
1:30am obs are 12.0 in Hobart and 4.0 on Mt W!
Meanwhile up here in Townsville, it's 29.7 right now on my weather station.

I'm very jealous!!

Yeah it's been nice and cool the last couple days and nights.
Bit easier conditions to get to sleep in than 29c overnight shocked
But its warming back up again now, will be 29 degrees today.

#1367959 - 01/03/2016 09:50 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
DaveM Offline

Yes Hobart in for about 25/26 all week, average for month is about 20. A very warm week.

We average 24 in Bathurst for March, our first week is all above 30, COME ON EQUINOX!!! smile

PVW - yes Hydro has cloud seeded for a VERY long time. They are big fans of the technology.

#1367974 - 01/03/2016 11:34 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
slipperyfish Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: South Mission Beach QLD
I'll take your 25's and 30's and raise you a couple of 40's. haha.

They were our overnight temps last week. Crazy place.

Dave how does this cloud seeding effect the quality of the water. I mean I believe playing around too much with Mother Nature is fraught with danger. Are there any known side effects to seeding, or will it be like all other things we Humans do.... we find out the consequences decades later.

One thing I will miss up here is the fact that you can have a single fall of 100mm from a storm in an hour and any flooding is gone soon after.

Edited by slipperyfish (01/03/2016 11:36)

#1367982 - 01/03/2016 12:35 Re: What's happening in Tassie? [Re: duckweather]
DaveM Offline

Well SF, I'm not an expert in seeding smile

Traditionally they use silver iodide particles (from memory) to take the place of dust particles etc so that water vapour can attach itself and be a nucleus of a rain drop. I think that having the particles in a cloud that wants to rain just makes a cloud that was going to rain, rain a bit sooner and harder.

The process has been around for many decades, my suspicion is the 40's or 50's were the start of it. I remember my dad talking about it in the early 60's. smile

Page 154 of 315 < 1 2 ... 152 153 154 155 156 ... 314 315 >

Who's Online
1 registered (Matthew Piper), 58 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
benny200, ChaseNZ, ptera, stormymick1, ThunderstormZ, typhoonbeach
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image