NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#1497209 - 06/04/2019 21:55 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: hickory]
cold@28 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Chillagoe
Today was definitely Dry Season, out here anyway.

Originally Posted By: hickory
I love the rain, but hate this $hitty drizzly rain. Sometimes it drags on 'til nearly July before the sunny days kick in.

I'd love to be sick of $hitty drizzly rain.😕
Don't think I've been sick of rain since my last Wet Season in Darwin 2008/9.😥

#1497222 - 07/04/2019 07:33 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
Pacman Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Cairns - Upper Bentley Park
9mm this morning which makes 22 consecutive days of rain here totaling 695mm for the period. Pretty good effort!

2255mm for the year to date.

Had great plans to take advantage of the free green waste disposal at the dump which ends today, however all the rain and sodden ground hasn't allowed the opportunity to do so. Trailer is sitting stacked with green waste sinking into the lawn, hopefully get the opportunity today??

#1497223 - 07/04/2019 07:49 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
Simmo FNQ Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mareeba
April would be my favourite month in Mareeba. You mostly get sunny days, lower humidity, perfect temps of 27-30c, mornings start getting a crisper feel and everything is still green and lush. It actually feels like spring down south.

#1497247 - 07/04/2019 21:09 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
hickory Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Holloways Beach QLD
Yeah, the rain can buzz off now. Bring on some sunshine and clear days.
We're all good for water now,- Tinaroo at 103.21% capacity and Copperlode still 31 mm above the spillway.

I never even took the doonah off the bed this summer. Other than those last 5 days of Nov with the 40+ days (and warmer nights), and a few nights in Dec most evenings were 23 to 24.

This year has been good, evening temp wise.

#1497253 - 08/04/2019 05:42 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
dormant Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: near ferry, FNQ
How lovely to wake up this slightly chilly morning enfolded in bedclothes instead of sweat.

#1497254 - 08/04/2019 06:46 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
Simmo FNQ Offline
Weatherzone Addict

It sure is lovely dormant. I would say if got down to 16-17c. My Bull Arab has jumped up on my bed and pushed under the covers. I suppose I can leave her there as it is washing day.

#1497255 - 08/04/2019 07:35 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
cold@28 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Our water situation is still bad, even with a reasonable wet season. The creek is still low, and likely to dry up again before the end of the Dry. It will take years to replenish the water table. We really could have done with that low that devastated the Gulf Country.

#1497264 - 08/04/2019 10:22 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
Simmo FNQ Offline
Weatherzone Addict

You don't want that C@28. Apart from all the devastation it caused I would say it is not the best result for replenishing the water table. Too much rain too quick and majority just runs off. The wet season we have just had is probably the best type for getting moisture down deep. Lots of steady rain which means most of it soaked into the ground.

#1497265 - 08/04/2019 10:30 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: Simmo FNQ]
cold@28 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Simmo FNQ
You don't want that C@28. Apart from all the devastation it caused I would say it is not the best result for replenishing the water table. Too much rain too quick and majority just runs off. The wet season we have just had is probably the best type for getting moisture down deep. Lots of steady rain which means most of it soaked into the ground.

Most of this part of the country still has reasonable elevation and higher than the areas that were hit badly.

But having a few slow lows in a row would help considerably.

#1497286 - 09/04/2019 02:56 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
marakai Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Maryfarms NQ
Just got another python, number 7 out of the Chook shed since Christmas. Only a small one of 3-4 meters or so this time around, killed our Top Rooster and a Young Turkey last week but was unable to digest them due to their size.
Will relocate this one tomorrow in spite of my My Inlaw's wishes, more than happy to give up a few egg laying poultry myself for the life of a Native beauty like this despite it's tastes for our Poultry.
That time of year at the moment when they are stocking up on a feed before the cold sets in. So far we are up a couple of 5 meter plus specimens of scrub pythons feasting on our chook's, I personally can spare the chooks as they are noisy MFkers. Even the young Kids are fascinated by the lumps in their stomachs when they actually get one swallowed.
We caught one 5 meter plus the other week with one of our young turkeys in it's gut, a good five meters plus specimen with a three month old turkey in it's gut and half digested sitting in our chook cage... What do we do ? Think about our intake of meat ?

Chopped it's head off with a machete, Shot it with a Four Ten shotgun , Hacked it with a Machete, Bashed it with a lump of wood or piece of steel.
MMMmmm Meat is bad MmmmK
No, I got it and put it in a feed bag, forced my 10 and 14 year old Daughters to drive it a good 30 KM away and let it go into the wild as always.

MMMmmm meat is bad.

#1497293 - 09/04/2019 09:08 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
Simmo FNQ Offline
Weatherzone Addict

16c this morning. Feels pretty humid this morning although it could have something to do with the copious amount of alcohol I consumed yesterday. frown

#1497295 - 09/04/2019 09:18 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
dormant Offline
Weather Freak

Ha, Marakai, nice ending, and generous hearted of you.

I really enjoyed having chooks, watching them forage and scratching. They had a large run and a safe out the weather 8 foot packing crate I shut them up in at night.
Sadly everything wanted them for lunch, hawks, pythons arrived in series and we didn't want to kill so... we let them die of old age and never renewed.
Got bit by one 12 foot python waiting on top of the crate for breakfast.. sheesh.

Chilly morning, lovely, would love to spray weeds but still a few blobs out there on the radar, but dry enough to keep up the mowing.

#1497349 - 10/04/2019 03:33 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: dormant]
marakai Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: dormant
Ha, Marakai, nice ending, and generous hearted of you.

I really enjoyed having chooks, watching them forage and scratching. They had a large run and a safe out the weather 8 foot packing crate I shut them up in at night.
Sadly everything wanted them for lunch, hawks, pythons arrived in series and we didn't want to kill so... we let them die of old age and never renewed.
Got bit by one 12 foot python waiting on top of the crate for breakfast.. sheesh.

Chilly morning, lovely, would love to spray weeds but still a few blobs out there on the radar, but dry enough to keep up the mowing.

You must get some huge ones (Pythons) over your way as well huh dormant, along with Quolls as well I guess ?
I used to work up at Cape Trib back in the late 90's working the Horse rides at PK's. Our chooks got smashed from every which way up that way and the only sort of long term survivors ended up taking shelter in our living room over time roosting in the kitchen, Scrambled and Egg were the last two out of a total of ten Hens that we started with and ended up moving to Cairns with us.

We have a massive weed spray task at hand, Rattle pod and Noogoora burr all over the place, along with some invasive Cats Claw vine the family inadvertently introduced here 20 +years back from kuranda.

Winter is coming, been plenty windy the last week or so heralding the change of seasons, Bee Eater birds have arrived and the Bin chickens are out scavenging the dung beetles from the manure enforce, not to mention the crispy mornings the last week or two up here since the rain quit.

Plus Game of thrones will be back soon as well smile Time to sharpen the chainsaw blade and get me some sweet smelling Cyprus wood for Winter.

#1497360 - 10/04/2019 09:30 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
WANDJINA G'vale Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gordonvale - Qld
Feeling very Autumnal - (is that a word) this morning.

Daisey Bates - The passing of the aborigines

YouTube - Coppertropicals - earthquake prediction

#1497406 - 11/04/2019 13:30 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
Pacman Offline

Haha Windjana, could fit anywhere with Aussie slang wink

Today marks the first day haven't recorded any rainfall for the 24hrs to 9am this morning ending the 25 day run of wetness in the gauge.

Loving the weather at the moment, can open all windows and dry the house out, however, it looks short lived as more rain forecast for tomorrow through to Monday.

#1497426 - 12/04/2019 04:01 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
dormant Offline
Weather Freak

We see very little of the wildlife, Marakai, other than birds but that doesn't even include cassowaries, only their poops occasionally. With me, it's probably old age eyes since I wander around the house area wearing my reading glasses propped on my nose and never see the snakes wandering in. Hence partner is always disgusted...Why do I always come across the snakes, he whines as he walks across to neighbours boundary with it in the blunt 4 foot pruner jaws in the pitch dark.

Time to air out the doonas in this cooling weather though we're yet to see teen temperatures like Simmo.

#1497442 - 12/04/2019 11:10 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
Pacman Offline

Its not often you see Cairns only 230mm behind Innisfail and 57mm in front of South Johnstone at this time of year.

#1497450 - 12/04/2019 13:47 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
Weary Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Edge Hill, Cairns
Some people at my work just did fire training at Chillagoe. the only problem was it was too wet/green to hold a fire grin grin

#1497458 - 12/04/2019 19:33 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: Weary]
cold@28 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: Weary
Some people at my work just did fire training at Chillagoe. the only problem was it was too wet/green to hold a fire grin grin

Yes, it's still green, and the grass is still growing, although haven't really had that much rain since mid february, just the occasional shower.

Some fantastic roiling cloud to the east late this afternoon, looked like someone was getting some good rain.

All the mock orange is out at the moment, and the ants nexts are little volcanos, but both known to be wrong...

#1497462 - 12/04/2019 20:07 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: dormant]
marakai Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: dormant
We see very little of the wildlife, Marakai, other than birds but that doesn't even include cassowaries, only their poops occasionally. With me, it's probably old age eyes since I wander around the house area wearing my reading glasses propped on my nose and never see the snakes wandering in. Hence partner is always disgusted...Why do I always come across the snakes, he whines as he walks across to neighbours boundary with it in the blunt 4 foot pruner jaws in the pitch dark.

Time to air out the doonas in this cooling weather though we're yet to see teen temperatures like Simmo.

Yep feeling the cold the last few nights up here, a tad under 17 at 5.15 this morning in the shed here at home.

We used to get the odd White tail rat setting up home in the house up there, feral bloody things they are, hit them with a broom and they would barr up at you hissing away like you had no business interfering with their invasion of your house. Feral bloody pigs were the most common Animal I saw the whole time up that way, the odd Cassowary here and there, mostly on trips along the road in between Cape Trib and Mossman and then a few rare Tree Kangaroos in the car park for the walkway down to the beach.
The reptiles are everywhere, easiest way to find them is to have some chooks. The rarest animal I ever saw was Comedians, Jimoen was one in particular that turned out to be a complete (stab from a thorn starting with P and ending in rick) amongst other obnoxious celebrities, the entitlement was worse than the white tail rats.

Reckon we might be in for a Cooold winter this turn around.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
stormryder, Taylsy, Willoughby
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image