NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#1497678 - 19/04/2019 13:57 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
scott12 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: maadi Tully area
Another sh!tty day in Paradise..and just 24c..

Its been showering all day and the radar seems to be showing a pretty heavy rain band about to hit the coast from Tully to Cairns..

SF, the North Hull ramp is the only game in town if there is any breeze now..totally tide dependant though as the Hull heads bar can be a bugga of a thing to cross at times....we sometimes launch into the Hull at Carmoo and that will be our main ramp till Clump point is finished. ..

The Clump point ramp has been opened for the easter week...bit of a joke given the weather though..

#1497679 - 19/04/2019 14:00 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: Vinnie]
hickory Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Holloways Beach QLD
Originally Posted By: Vinnie
Accuweather ., ... they go like 2-3 months ahead lol.

And there would be fools who believe them. crazy

#1497680 - 19/04/2019 14:03 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
scott12 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Wasn't Lindy Chamberlin convicted on expert testimony that stated that a Dingo couldn't possibly drag a baby away..?

The dingo's got my baby.

#1497682 - 19/04/2019 14:44 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: scott12]
hickory Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: scott12
Wasn't Lindy Chamberlin convicted on expert testimony that stated that a Dingo couldn't possibly drag a baby away..?

I thought they were going to shoot all the dingoes ??

Should at least de-nut all the males, and let them die out.

#1497691 - 19/04/2019 18:26 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: hickory]
scott12 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: hickory

I thought they were going to shoot all the dingoes ??

Should at least de-nut all the males, and let them die out.

Maybe they should do that to the tourists and just leave the Dingo's alone...

#1497695 - 19/04/2019 19:34 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: scott12]
cold@28 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Chillagoe

The dingo's got my baby.

She's well and truly vindicated now, multiple times. Pity it took so long.

#1497726 - 20/04/2019 16:04 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
amphetamarine Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Cairns
Are Dingoes related to wolves?

#1497732 - 20/04/2019 18:07 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: amphetamarine]
ColdFront Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: The Beach.
Originally Posted By: amphetamarine

Apparently not. All domestic dogs are but not the dingo according to recent research.

#1497733 - 20/04/2019 18:20 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: ColdFront]
cold@28 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Chillagoe
Originally Posted By: ColdFront
Originally Posted By: amphetamarine

Apparently not. All domestic dogs are but not the dingo according to recent research.

If nothing has changed since 2014, then this is applicable.
https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/wildlife/2014/04/dingo-declared-a-separate-species/

#1497753 - 21/04/2019 01:01 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
marakai Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Maryfarms NQ
All Dog's evolved from the Wolf, each and every one of them, the only dispute is how far back domestic ones evolved from the base stock of the wolf itself.
The Dingo is nothing more than a descendant of the Asian hunting dog which arrived in Australia a mere 5-6 thousand years before White settlement according to DNA records. It was responsible for the loss of the Tasmanian tiger (The thylacine) on the Australian Mainland and also responsible for the wide spread loss of many native ground dwelling native species as well. The only reason the The Tassie Tiger and the The Tassie Devil ever existed after the arrival of thwe Dingo was the bit of Ocean between Tasmania and the mainland which occurred around 13 thousand years before present at the end of the last Ice Age.
The Tassie Tiger was a solitary hunter unlike the Dingo, so could not resist the pack like attacks that a descendant from the wolf presented on the Mainland of Australia, like wise the now extant Tassie Devil was no match for the larger sized dog/dingo on the mainland either despite it's pack like behaviour.

Mind you though there are still believable reports of Tassie Tigers still being seen up till today with a recent serious research project up here in FNQ after a credible sighting of multiple specimens in the same area by a credible witness so who knows ? One Of my Uni lectures just 7 years back swears that he and his brother saw a Tassie Tiger in PNG 15 years ago on a road cutting one night.

Sometimes Truth is very much stranger than fiction....

Edit to Add:

Forgot to add that the Thylacine was not a Dog, it was a Marsupial and not as such concommit Mammal of it's age.
Just to be clear.

Edited by marakai (21/04/2019 01:06)

#1497754 - 21/04/2019 06:08 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
WANDJINA G'vale Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Gordonvale - Qld
Cooling nicely

Incoming showers again today - at least I see them on the radar

Daisey Bates - The passing of the aborigines

YouTube - Coppertropicals - earthquake prediction

#1497792 - 22/04/2019 14:13 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
drivenunder Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Smithfield, Cairns
It feels humid today...

#1497795 - 22/04/2019 14:45 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: marakai]
ColdFront Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: The Beach.
Originally Posted By: marakai

The Dingo is nothing more than a descendant of the Asian hunting dog which arrived in Australia a mere 5-6 thousand years before White settlement according to DNA records.

#1497799 - 22/04/2019 15:33 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
scott12 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Dingo study

What I find interesting about the above study is the objectives of the study and that an environmental scientist funded by an conservation group has come up with their particular findings...

This is the particular objectives of the study as stated in the Introduction....

"A sound understanding of the taxonomy of threatened species is essential for setting conservation priorities and the development of management strategies. Hybridization is a threat to species conservation because it compromises the integrity of unique evolutionary lineages and can impair the ability of conservation managers to identify threatened taxa and achieve conservation targets."

What it basically says to me is that Dingos need to be classified as a separate species in order to be given conservation status and distanced from the pest species of domestic dog.... with this in mind I am always a bit sceptical of the validly of findings of such a study with an automatic bias from the start....also interesting is that of all the media articles that picked up the study, I didn't see any references or analysis of the veracity of the parameters of the study at all...

The main conclusive "proof" seems to consist of skull measurements, coat colouring and the lack of dewclaws in the dingo...

So I don't know enough to discredit the study but its hard not to believe both dingo's and domestic pooches don't have the wolf as an ancestor...but then again I didn't believe studies from Monsanto that showed that Glyphosate is so safe you can drink it neat......

#1497814 - 22/04/2019 23:40 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
scott12 Offline
Weatherzone Addict

After having a bit of a poke around the web and despite Crowthers Dingo study being published in The Journal of Zoology I cant see much discussion or peer review on it at all...

Anyone seen anything out there..?...It certainly is an interesting topic....and it comes as no surprise to read this news story...

https://7news.com.au/the-morning-show/fr...-humans-c-71688

Its a similar situation to whats happening with cassowaries up here..but often its not just tourists to blame but locals also....

Back onto the weather...After seeing forecasts for a rainy easter it was awesome to see some sunshine....we also watched some brave boaters heading out off Clump point yesterday in some pretty sloppy conditions...a trip around the islands would have been Ok but a trip to the reef in a trailerboat would have been pretty ordinary..

#1497855 - 24/04/2019 07:45 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
Simmo FNQ Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Mareeba
Has been the coolest April for daytime temps since being in Mareeba but due to the lack of wind has not felt cold. The last few days have been pretty humid too.
Days are 1.2c below my average and nights are 1.1c above average.

Looks set to cool down even further next week with Max temps around 25/26c for MAP so probably 1c cooler than that at mine.

#1497866 - 24/04/2019 13:33 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: scott12]
Red Watch Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Cranbrook, Townsville

Dingo study

What I find interesting about the above study is the objectives of the study and that an environmental scientist funded by an conservation group has come up with their particular findings...

This is the particular objectives of the study as stated in the Introduction....

"A sound understanding of the taxonomy of threatened species is essential for setting conservation priorities and the development of management strategies. Hybridization is a threat to species conservation because it compromises the integrity of unique evolutionary lineages and can impair the ability of conservation managers to identify threatened taxa and achieve conservation targets."

What it basically says to me is that Dingos need to be classified as a separate species in order to be given conservation status and distanced from the pest species of domestic dog.... with this in mind I am always a bit sceptical of the validly of findings of such a study with an automatic bias from the start....also interesting is that of all the media articles that picked up the study, I didn't see any references or analysis of the veracity of the parameters of the study at all...

The main conclusive "proof" seems to consist of skull measurements, coat colouring and the lack of dewclaws in the dingo...

So I don't know enough to discredit the study but its hard not to believe both dingo's and domestic pooches don't have the wolf as an ancestor...but then again I didn't believe studies from Monsanto that showed that Glyphosate is so safe you can drink it neat......

The dingo has been given its own species status, recognising that it is not descended from dogs or wolves.
https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/wildlife/2014/04/dingo-declared-a-separate-species/
https://www.smh.com.au/environment/conse...0328-35onp.html
Scientists once thought that dogs descended from gray wolves. Now, through genetic studies, researchers know that dogs and wolves share a common ancestor instead of a direct lineage.
https://www.livescience.com/50928-wolf-genome-dog-ancient-ancestor.html

Edited by Red Watch (24/04/2019 13:39)

#1497871 - 24/04/2019 16:59 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: Red Watch]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: El Arish
Ah well true to form we took the rain with us, we spent the week in Rocky and it rained on many of the days that we were there.....

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.

#1497873 - 24/04/2019 17:38 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: @_Yasified_shak]
hickory Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Originally Posted By: @_Yasified_shak
Ah well true to form we took the rain with us, we spent the week in Rocky and it rained on many of the days that we were there.....

ROK aero only showing 4 days in the whole 24. confused

#1497874 - 24/04/2019 18:14 Re: Far North Queensland Wet Season - Cardwell Northwards - April 2019 [Re: hickory]
@_Yasified_shak Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: El Arish
Originally Posted By: hickory
Originally Posted By: @_Yasified_shak

ROK aero only showing 4 days in the whole 24. confused

The rain was sporadic, it was raining on the north side of town, but not on the south side. we had showers 3 days in a row at the showgrounds.

It also rained most of the way home yesterday, and there was even rain in Townsville.

Humans think they are the fabric of society,when they are merely part of the thread.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 51 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
Aussie twister lover, nthqlndr, remead, Sitilliqaq, Western Blew
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529243 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image