Topic Options
#1497465 - 12/04/2019 20:29 Time for a new weather station
Monomeeth Offline
Cloud Gazer

My trusty HP1000 weather station (one of the many Fine Offset models) finally died after almost 4.5 years of mainly excellent service, so I'm in the market for a replacement.

I've been looking on eBay, Jaycar, etc and they're almost all rebranded Fine Offset models. What I'd like to know is what other options are there for a mid range consumer weather station? I have thought about getting a higher quality Davis model, but I'm not convinced that overall they're worth that much extra money.

So, what do others think? Are there other options? If not, which of the Fine Offset models is the "best" one to buy in 2019? Is the HP1000 still the same now as it was, or is it an improved model? To be honest, all the Fine Offset model numbers confuse me.

My main requirements are:

• it can upload data automatically to Weather Undeground without the need to connect to a PC/Mac first
  • it measures at least as many of the metrics that the old HP1000 did

Am open to all suggestions and very keen to hear the advice/experience of others.

Thanks! smile

#1497498 - 14/04/2019 10:21 Re: Time for a new weather station [Re: Monomeeth]
bbowen Offline
Weather Freak

I currently have a Davis Vantage Pro 2, and after having it work for about 9 years it is starting to fail. I have also been looking at other options, and below are my thoughts. I have experience with the WH2900 Fine offset variants and they are good value so far. The way I see it I paid about $1000 for mine about ten years ago, that's about 100 bucks a year for me, if a fine offset Wh2900 lasts at least 2 years then it rougly comes out at the same cost.

Davis;
Pros: Accurate
Hardy - Mine has been through about 3 Cyclones (not direct hits)

Cons: Expensive - Compared to what other stations can now do.
Poor User interface
Lack of 'out of the box' network connectivity - compared to other brands/models.
It appears no R&D from Davis as their lineup hasn't changed in the years since I bought mine - compared to other
options.

WH2900 variants: (I don't personally own one - but have experience with them)
Cons:The drawbacks are that the anemometer can't be separated from the rest of the sensors, so you have to make a compromise. The tipping bucket rain gauge is a single bucket so it may be less accurate, but I can't yet confirm that.
Pros: Their indoor screen is very nice.
WIFI ready
Fairly frequent model upgrades.

From what I can tell there are more and more players that are filling the price gap and becoming real competitors to Davis.

#1497500 - 14/04/2019 10:28 Re: Time for a new weather station [Re: Monomeeth]
bbowen Offline
Weather Freak

These are far more network ready and I have been looking at them as well. As with the below it is always a tradeoff as to placement.

Netatmo
Bloomsky
Weatherflow

I should mention that my friends have purchased their Wh2900 when they were on special so they were around $149, but I have seen them at $229 which is rediculous.

#1497516 - 14/04/2019 20:00 Re: Time for a new weather station [Re: bbowen]
Monomeeth Offline
Cloud Gazer

Thank you for your response and sharing your views/experience! It's also very timely as today I more seriously started researching the Davis options and worked out it'd have to last a long time (about 15yrs) to be worth it, as the HP1000 worked out costing me $75 per year, so hearing you got 9 years out of the Davis is good to know!

I also noticed the same thing - that their R&D seems to have stagnated. I remember looking at them before I bought the HP1000 and nothing has changed since!

Funny you should mention the WH2900 - it's one of the ones that many of the variants I've been looking at are based on. It seems to be lacking some of the info on its screen that the HP1000 has, but it's definitely a much nicer screen and seems to support more internet weather sites. I actually think the rain gauge looks easier to maintain than the one in the HP1000.

Now, all that said, I haven't seen any of these anywhere near as low as you're saying, not even at the $229 price? Maybe I'm just looking at all the wrong places. Do you recommend anywhere in particular?

#1497533 - 15/04/2019 14:32 Re: Time for a new weather station [Re: Monomeeth]
bbowen Offline
Weather Freak

Hi Monomeeth,

Just to add mention, my Davis I can't honestly see making another year, the control box is so perished that I almost can't touch it without it turning to powder. My anemometer is the on its way out, but as I live in Bowen and it is always windy I can't really be too hard on it, and I did just recently replace the supercap as it had failed. But the design is terrible and I accepted/knew that going in.

Yeah I figure for the price you pay for the Wh2900 for instance you have to make trade offs, but I am comfortable with that.

So as not to run afoul of any advertising rules I will PM you a site.

#1497545 - 15/04/2019 19:50 Re: Time for a new weather station [Re: Monomeeth]
EddyG Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Port Stephens NSW
I have WH2950 model and so far I cannot fault it, but in saying that I have only had for about 6 or 7 months, touch wood so far so good.
As for rainfall accuracy its usually within half a mm of the trusty nylex gauge thats sit within 2 metres of the station.
On warm clear calm days the temperature can over read by a couple of degrees, but that is probably more to do with placement of the station. My station sits about 6 foot above the garden shed and imo the shed radiates heat therefore giving me slightly warmer temps. Unfortunately I don't have a better spot for it at this stage.

For the price I paid if I get 3 or more years out of it, I will be a happy man.
2019 YTD - 631.8mm

#1497553 - 15/04/2019 22:45 Re: Time for a new weather station [Re: EddyG]
Monomeeth Offline
Cloud Gazer

Thanks for sharing. I did have a look at these and they look very similar (if not identical) to the HP1000 I have. I did notice they're a little more expensive than the WH2900, though it's not really clear to me why?

While the physical design of the outdoor units are different between the 2900 and 2950, the specs are almost identical (the only difference I could find was in the Lux ranges and the fact the 2950 needs 3 batteries instead of 2 for the outdoor transmitter, and also needs recalibration for southern hemisphere wind direction - no big deal, the HP1000 was the same).

Any thoughts on if/why the WH2950 is a better unit?

Also, have you had any problems cleaning the rain sensor? Or has it been an easy task?

And agreed, for the price getting 3+ years would be a good run! smile

#1497612 - 17/04/2019 19:40 Re: Time for a new weather station [Re: Monomeeth]
Graham M Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Boambee East near Coffs Harbou...
I've been using Peet Bros Ultimeter weather stations for a quarter of a century. Read about it here

#1497616 - 17/04/2019 20:21 Re: Time for a new weather station [Re: Monomeeth]
EddyG Offline

Loc: Port Stephens NSW
Originally Posted By: Monomeeth

Any thoughts on if/why the WH2950 is a better unit?

Also, have you had any problems cleaning the rain sensor? Or has it been an easy task?

And agreed, for the price getting 3+ years would be a good run! smile

TBH Im not sure if its a better unit as its my first in this line, previous station was a La Crosse. As for cleaning the rain gauge it hasn't been required yet, but I must have a look at it soon. Also I only paid $160 for the unit.

Graham M that is brilliant stuff. when I have a few spare minutes Im going to have a good look.
2019 YTD - 631.8mm

#1497618 - 17/04/2019 21:27 Re: Time for a new weather station [Re: Monomeeth]
ColdFront Offline

Loc: The Beach.
My Davis is 12 years old. It still has all features functioning and has been through two cyclones, 3 degrees and prolonged heatwaves. You get what you pay for.

#1497676 - 19/04/2019 13:48 Re: Time for a new weather station [Re: ColdFront]
hickory Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Holloways Beach QLD
Originally Posted By: ColdFront
My Davis is 12 years old. It still has all features functioning and has been through two cyclones, 3 degrees and prolonged heatwaves. You get what you pay for.

What method did you finally find was the best way to calibrate the rain gauge on the Davis?
I remember Pacman managed to get on top of it somehow.

#1497677 - 19/04/2019 13:56 Re: Time for a new weather station [Re: hickory]
Mega Offline

Loc: Maryborough, Wide Bay, QLD
Originally Posted By: hickory

What method did you finally find was the best way to calibrate the rain gauge on the Davis?

I've seen many posts regarding incorrect readings on Davis stations but on both stations I've owned (Vue and VP2) I've had no issues at all. I have a nylex gauge sitting on the fence a few metres away from the station itself and they both always record nearly identical totals. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones.

#1497683 - 19/04/2019 14:57 Re: Time for a new weather station [Re: Mega]
hickory Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Holloways Beach QLD
Originally Posted By: Mega

I've seen many posts regarding incorrect readings on Davis stations but on both stations I've owned (Vue and VP2) I've had no issues at all. I have a nylex gauge sitting on the fence a few metres away from the station itself and they both always record nearly identical totals. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones.

I've got two WH-3081's and the Nylex Pro.
WX stations are great to get and idea of the amounts at night etc, but what I log is always off the Nylex.
I got the WX stations very close to the Nylex by setting an offset in the Cumulus software though.

#1497690 - 19/04/2019 18:00 Re: Time for a new weather station [Re: Mega]
ColdFront Offline

Loc: The Beach.
Originally Posted By: Mega

Same. My two are right alongside eachother. The screws for adjusting are marked to adjust for rainfall.

Who's Online
3 registered (Mike Hauber, 2 invisible), 52 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
letecia, mal dinham, Philby, SBT
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24192 Topics
1529030 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image