NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 148 of 154 < 1 2 ... 146 147 148 149 150 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1498858 - 12/05/2019 20:22 Re: Earthquakes [Re: petethemoskeet]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi folks. [finally, again]

I reckon tsunami, that it would be difficult to say that that quake off Vancouver Island is possibly a precursor of a biggy for that region. This area niggles with smaller tremors here and there, a little less prolific than California [unless I need to research this more thoroughly to get more info]. I have always felt that the west coast of Canada is somewhat caught between the pressures which set off the tremors and quakes in and near California - and the activity in southern Alaska. I also feel that a good 'kicker' of energy which may irritate west of Canada may be the movements of the San Andreas and sister or nearby faults in California and offshore. My gut feeling is that the tremors off west Canada are responses ans releases of some of the energies being filtered in from the above-mentioned entities [e.g. San Andreas...] as well as any pressures coming in from the Pacific. That near surface irritations and [in an obscure suggestion from me] possibly deeper activity - magmatic??? - may help west Canada to niggle here and there.
There will be moderate quakes there, but when these will happen is an uncertainty. There are so many places on the planet where large quakes, as well as volcanic problems can occur, sometimes with a surprise, but we needn't avoid these areas unless there are very obvious symptoms of impending serious activity.

Petethemoskeet, I had a quick look at that article you referred to. Very interesting. I do believe, and have for eons, that there are many land and seafloor nondescript presentations that belie the fact there are fault lines and plate deviations present. A smooth surface may hide such an entity [fault line or plate deviation] as maybe over time silt [sea floor] or earth [on land] may have covered and leveled out any obvious signs of them. Our dynamic Earth has so much to teach us and uncover, things that we never realized existed - sometimes not until an event happens to expose such. I personally feel that some plate edges, as we understand them 'today', may be re-mapped or new deviation-plates will be added to maps as time goes on. Many hidden fault lines will become more obvious or be added to maps as they make themselves noticed in the future. Even major fault lines that are not currently known about will find their place on a map.

I have seen the latest EQ maps and I see a pattern of Pacific quakes and tremors which may be leading up to an M7 or more in the near future. Japan is a bit jittery. Hawaii is niggling [I feel that the Big Island is not out of the woods yet]. The Philippines and down through to the Kermadecs [including the western Pacific Islands] may have the potential for an M6+ somewhere. The Mediterranean region may come up with an M6 at some point. China as well.
Of course there are other places currently niggling, which could be hinting at possibly an M6'ish at some point - e.g. Central America/Bahamas and west coast of South America......but at the moment it could be a bit of a guessing 'game' as to where one, two or three simultaneous moderate quakes may come up....

The lower east side of Oz - NSW and Vic have been/are feeling tremors, seemingly following mountainous [or nearby] locations - except for Vic's offshore tremor [I reckon is related to the NSW tremors].
NE of Tassie and Bass Strait have been 'flooded' with ribbed clouds recently.....

For now, old Duck.

#1499637 - 28/05/2019 21:38 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks. Time flies....

Haven't [aid much attention to the EQ's in the last few weeks, but did notice the large quakes come up in regions that were in the mix of some ideas for spots in my last post.

There seems to be a bit of a pattern that after large quakes there is a quieting of moderately sized tremors, generally speaking, before a rev up.

One thing I saw recently, before the M8 on west of South America, was one of our seismo's showing s sustained irritation [pronounced readings - consistent size in readings] which settled momentarily - then revved up again before the biggy. That reading I did watch and suspected a decent size quake was brewing somewhere.

As I suspected, Hawaii is niggling along with a curious small quake coming up in the island north of Big Island. Without being a dramatist, I still feel that Hawaii may be in for an M4+ some time in the future. I just get a gut feeling that their volcanic activity may increase by degrees at some point.

I also get a feeling that Italy [possibly near a volcano] may get a few rumbles soon. Other rumbles [M's] may crop up in the Mediterranean and a 'meteotsunami' [non destructive - but interesting] may show up in one of the seas in the northern part of the Mediterranean...?

Maybe Tanzania or a nearby African province could come up with a tremor.

There may be a release of some pressure in the Cascadia region - but not a major worry.

Weird thought for the day....a land may subside slightly [seaside] as may another rise....where? A Pacific island may dip very slightly, helping cause a slight rise in tide level [not 'climate change'] and a quake somewhere may push some land up by some small degree.....I could be way out wrong here - but it is just a feeling.

I hope I will be more involved in posting here from now. smile

I saw the flash from the meteorite the other night - I had just finished filming some planets/moon and was carrying my camera and tripod inside when the sky lit up.....oh well...might have been good footage.

Cheers for now, Duck.

#1499650 - 29/05/2019 08:56 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Just a quicky post folks.

There are currently [now] static 'ribbed clouds' [meaning the gap between the clouds is stationary] offshore and east of Bateman's Bay in the Tasman Sea. This is where the latest tremor, yesterday evening, occurred.......see the satellite images on Weatherzone images.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (29/05/2019 09:01)
Edit Reason: update with extra info

#1499652 - 29/05/2019 09:14 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Sea level rise or fall is more complex than the media would have people believe. Some geographic regions are rising and some falling, including islands. But don't worry folks. No islands are going to capsize. I recall a number of years ago, some imbecile in the U.S thought that Guam would tip over if too many more military personel and families were stationed there. Only in America

#1499653 - 29/05/2019 09:17 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

P.s There has been some postings in a different thread about increased earthquake activity and changes in atmospheric circulation ie wind and pressure changes. What think ye Duckiepoo?

#1499762 - 30/05/2019 13:57 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Knot]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Now there is a nice little M5.4 [0kms ??] in Tanami [NT] today. I have been waiting for an M5 to come up somewhere for a while now.

We had a thud/jolt here at 3:30 am this morning. Woke us up. Rattled a closed door an roof trusses mildly. Nothing has come up on the Geoscience website atm..

Knot, I haven't had a chance to read the other thread you were referring to in your last posts here. I'll have a look tonight. But generally I would say that there is so much 'we' are yet to learn about the universe/Earth relationship and I hope that one day all scientific disciplines will interrelate all info known to have a thorough and eclectic understanding of all possible relationships of Earth and universe/solar/etc.. Unfortunately there are numerous hypothesis by some folks on these interrelationships that are not always recognized as relevant {and should be by degrees} [long story].

For now, Duck.

#1499869 - 01/06/2019 11:27 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wynnum SE Brisbane
Just read about 70 grey whales and others being found dead from San Francisco northwards. Could this be related to seismic activity. Or an upcoming earthquake

Edited by tsunami (01/06/2019 11:28)

#1499878 - 01/06/2019 14:40 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi tsunami and all.

The deaths of the whales can still be a mystery, unless autopsies are done on the whales. But, I often wonder if any of the following have anything to do with such beachings/deaths.

Things such as; the sea floor seeping or pouring out noxious gases etc., which disorientate and poison the whales [and other sea life]. And this being associated possibly with volcanic an/or earthquake [sea quake as well] activity, unseen by the human eye [visually obvious].

Or electro and/or magnetic waves emanating from the faults and new faults and maybe volcanoes and plate edges, disturbing their sonar balances and readings...??

Maybe sudden or chronic sea temperature changes, maybe because of undersea volcanic activity, EQ activity or methane emissions [for example], individually or as an eclectic mix of events, can mess with their wellbeing...??

Maybe a disease can affect the herd as a whole or partially, with the collective suffering physically and/or emotionally and all beaching together...?? From my understanding, whales are very family orientated, empathetic and highly tuned [intuitive] to each others wellbeing.

Other obscure things that may cause them to possibly beach on mass, could be underwater or surface entering bombs, asteroids/meteors, introduced foreign [human induced] electrical signals and sonar, poisons, sudden reduction of their food supply and other things??? I know that sounds 'way out' or strange thinking, but you never know....

I have always been fascinated with why these beautiful and sentient creatures beach themselves and die. It is very sad to see these happenings.

So to pinpoint any particular cause for their deaths, I feel the first step is autopsy and gaining a thorough understanding of any changes in their environment.

For now, Duck.

P.s. Interesting series of quakes and tremors in Australia. It seems to me that our continent is being pressured in various spots by forces/energy from the south and pushing into the north of our plate...?? Also the space between Tassie and Vic has shown some of this energy too....

#1500273 - 06/06/2019 13:56 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Interesting

Interesting read that nostradamus has predicted that west coast of america will be hit by a massive earthquake in 2019. Far worse than any in modern history.
We now see Casscadia primed and overdue. Bit of a eorry

#1500316 - 07/06/2019 17:57 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Some basic info about volcanoes in the Cascades. Maybe they might give some notice of the CSZ going rogue. https://www.rockcollector.co.uk/editorial0610.htm
Note Mt Rainier being classified a 'Decade Volcano'. One of only 16 in the world to be so classified

Edited by Knot (07/06/2019 18:05)

#1500317 - 07/06/2019 18:06 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

#1500382 - 09/06/2019 10:26 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Interesting reading knot

#1500390 - 09/06/2019 15:40 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Knot Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Mt Rainier is only around 90 km south east of the 6th largest tech company in the world

#1500592 - 14/06/2019 06:34 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
Well letís hope they stay relaxed for a little while yet. Iím heading up there next week for a couple of weeks having a little look around.

#1500595 - 14/06/2019 08:07 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Good luck Big T. Youll have a ball

#1500596 - 14/06/2019 08:08 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

I reacon casscadia wouldnt move till novemberish anyway

#1500607 - 14/06/2019 22:06 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
BIG T Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Albany Creek , QLD
Thanks tsunami, Iíve had some strange luck with quakes whilst travelling. More than happy for it to never happen this time.

#1500660 - 16/06/2019 09:41 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

7.2 600km north NZ.
Good rattle. Seems to be a bit of activity up there. 6.1 at tonga and 4.8 near fiji

#1500662 - 16/06/2019 09:50 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Funkyseefunkydo Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: East Lake Macquarie
NZ defence has issued a tsunami warning.

#1500667 - 16/06/2019 10:08 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Funkyseefunkydo Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: East Lake Macquarie
And warning canceled

Page 148 of 154 < 1 2 ... 146 147 148 149 150 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
annair, marestails, Quasar, typhoontim
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image