NOTICE!

The Weatherzone forum has now closed and is in read-only mode until the 1st of November when it will close permanently. We would like to thank everyone who has contributed over the past 18 years.

If you would like to continue the discussion you can follow us on Facebook and Twitter or participate in discussions at AusWeather or Ski.com.au forums.

Page 115 of 154 < 1 2 ... 113 114 115 116 117 ... 153 154 >
Topic Options
#1384450 - 11/08/2016 23:18 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petar @ Sdny Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: South West Sydney
Azores - Cape St. Vincent Ridge area has become noticeably more active over the last 24 hours with some mid range 4.0 magnitude tremors.

#1384460 - 12/08/2016 11:53 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petar @ Sdny]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wantirna, Vic
Hi folks.

A larger EQ has occurred near the Pacific Islands - SE of the Loyalty Islands. It is prelim of M7.3 at a yet to be defined shallow depth.
Water disturbances may occur with this one. The east coast of QLD may see some small wave disturbance from this quake and the Pacific Islands, I feel, may need to keep an eye out for some activity as well.
Geoscience record of this quake so far.

USGS information

This is the 'larger' energy I have been rattling on about possibly occurring in the current weeks time frame.

Yes Petar, there has been some concerted energy over in the Azores as well. The Atlantic may also see an M5+ in the near future....?

For now, Duck.

#1384463 - 12/08/2016 12:15 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
tsunami Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Wynnum SE Brisbane
Wow no tsunami threat for australia. Not that we wish for one but would of thought this one was big enough and close enough to create waves

#1384490 - 12/08/2016 19:15 Re: Earthquakes [Re: tsunami]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi tsunami and all, again.

A quake as large as the M7+ surely must have set off even a small water disturbance...? But what it definitely set off [in my mind] are the follow on quakes, not only after-movements in SE Loyalty Islands, in the western Pacific. I am wondering if an area near Japan may come up with an M5+??
The western side of Sth. America may also come up with a quake, as may the U.S. [maybe just some irritations]. Central America [west coast] may be slightly less likely to follow on with a quake, but you never know.

The east coast of Australia [namely and currently NSW] is trotting along with tremors. An M3+[+?] may occur of the irritation is strong enough from the Pacific Island quakes...?

Even the Indian Ocean has come into play in almost unison with the Pacific currently.

Today's large quake has certainly rattled the 'foundations' and quakes of various sizes [under M6] may keep popping up and/or several small irritations may pop up in non-regular-quake areas.

For now, Duck.

#1384544 - 13/08/2016 15:23 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

I have changed my avatar, as I was getting tired of looking at the other one. The new image is one of my absolute favourites smile

Anyway, NSW has been busy with tremors and still seems to be not quite settled yet. Below is a count for registered [not accounting for very small movements which haven't been formally recorded] for our continent so far. The list is for the last 30 days as Geoscience has recorded them.

NSW - 14
VIC - 5
WA - 26
NT - 3
SA - 12
QLD - 0
TAS - 0

The largest was an M4.2 near Norseman in WA.

The best cluster of tremors is/has been in NSW. Though Norseman in WA is pretty close to a good run too.

VIC's tremors were of a sort of cluster in nature too, as they occurred within a fairly short space of time.

One region in Oz to keep watching is NSW. There may be another or two tremors to occur in some regions.

Though given the number of tremors popping up in SA, WA and NSW, there may be a small run of tremors in any one of these locations. I hope VIC's tremors are not fore-movements [priming for a slightly larger tremor - ??M3+]...will wait and see.

The U.S. west coast came up with the niggles I was expecting after the larger M7 [timed as I thought they would]. The energy bypassed the Canadian west coast generally and followed on up into the Alaskan regions. The western coastal regions of South America responded to the larger quake, as I thought it would with a slight flurry of irritations as their vulnerable spots seemed to be partially energized by the large M7+ in the west of the Pacific.

As far as I know, there were no reports of even tiny wave/tsunami response to the large quake. Which, though the dynamic of the quake may not have been enough to throw up a tsunami, surprises me a bit. A quake that big and being so shallow would surely have some effect on water/sea behaviour....?

There may be a run on M5+'s soon. Just a feeling. These may crop up in the Pacific, Atlantic, lower China and may one or two in the greater Mediterranean region. I could be wrong.

For now, Duck.

#1384561 - 14/08/2016 07:47 Re: Earthquakes [Re: duckweather]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi folks.

Very late last night [near midnight], one of my kids asked me if I thought Australia was going to have another M5 at some point. I told him that Bundaberg in Qld may have one [an M4+] any time now, because I felt that the M7+ recently had probably jiggled the east coast of Australia. I told him that I had mentioned [re: my last post here] NSW coast as being one to watch at the moment, but something was poking at me that Qld was the one for the quake instead.
Well, my goodness, Bundaberg in Qld had an M4.4 this morning, not long after I spoke to my son about the quakes.

There are times folks, when I wish I could get on the computermatronic [computer smile ] and mention some if these 'sudden' thoughts about quakes I get at times - as 90% of the time I am right. I do frustrate myself sometimes crazy

Anyway folks, the most important thing is not me carrying on about my thoughts above, but that this M4+ was not a damaging one for Oz/Qld - as far as I know atm. But it would been an interesting rattle for the folks in the region - getting some up and out of bed I'd imagine,

Anyway, for now, Duck.

#1384565 - 14/08/2016 11:53 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petar @ Sdny Offline
Weather Freak

Nice new avatar change, Duck. And thanks for your informative posts, I enjoy reading them.

Central California has been getting some niggling tremors, the activity is ongoing with shakes ranging between 2.5 and 3.9 magnitude. This is an area I am watching with continued interest into the future.

The tremor just off the coast of Bundaberg at 4.4 magnitude was another interesting event. Should pose a reminder that Australia does get quakes and can get considerable shakes here and there. A few family members didn't realise that we get quakes and it was good educating them and providing them with links like the Geo Science website and even this forum section.

#1384566 - 14/08/2016 12:42 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Petar @ Sdny]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Cheers Petar wink

Central California seems to accumulate some of the 'action' going on in the Pacific [larger stuff] and possibly irritations from the south. I tend to feel that the energy gets 'snagged' in this general region [Central Cali - before it heads up into SW of Eureka where the San Andreas veers out to sea to eventually 'meet' the plates around/off the west coast of Canada]. Of course there are various dynamics associated with energies floating around the general west of the U.S. and the energy doesn't always come up/in from the south.

Sometimes the Central California tremors dissipate or maintain in a number of small tremors, with the occasional M5 thrown in. I feel though, that if the 'snag' is not releasing enough into the small tremors to relieve the pressure [or a decent amount of energy gets shoved into this area], the build up of pressure can go on to produce M5's. These can occur offshore, in the mountain ranges [running parallel to the west coast], or even further inland in Nevada [west'ish], or even back down towards Southern California. That is just my opinion though.

Los Angeles and San Francisco [re: larger quakes] can get caught up in the movements sometimes, but that is not really a common occurrence.

One day there will be another larger quake in the U.S. - M5+. An M5 may crop up in the near future though, I feel, though maybe in Nevada or offshore. But it is not easy to anticipate an exact region. Such energy may crop up somewhere else. If one was able to read/observe all of the seismo's simultaneously in the U.S. [24 hours a day] then anticipating where a larger quake may come up could be a little easier.

The Loyalty Islands haven't finished with quakes yet. This energy may travel to nearby countries/regions yet.
Queensland may go on to feel an after movement or two, especially if the Loyalty Islands energy continues.

Remember to take all I say with a pinch of salt folks. I may be wrong with my observations.

For now, Duck.

Edited by duckweather (14/08/2016 12:43)
Edit Reason: spelling again

#1384615 - 15/08/2016 15:34 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
perrywinkle Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Warrawee Valley
Interesting cycles of seismicity in NSW. Two areas which have been conspicuously absent are the Picton / Southern tablelands area, and the area between the Hunter Valley, to up around Taree. Ellalong, at the southern end of this, was home to a $40M earthquake in 1994 and had a small tremor this week.

#1384635 - 15/08/2016 22:12 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Petar @ Sdny Offline
Weather Freak

Pretty interesting action on the western side of the Pacific Rim at the moment with both Japan & the Philippines getting mid range 5 magnitude tremors.

I also notice a weak 2.7 tremor in the Northern Territory.

#1384801 - 18/08/2016 15:10 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Firepac Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Proserpine
Mag 5.8 just off Bowen Qld this afternoon. Strongly felt here in Proserpine!

Geosciences

Edited by Firepac (18/08/2016 15:11)

#1384806 - 18/08/2016 15:40 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Between Bundy and Gladstone
Interesting about this. Today I was in Kmart Bundaberg about 1 ish. I was standing still as I was using my phone and it felt like the floor was vibrating under me. Had I been walking I doubt I would have felt it. At first I put it down to a big truck passing but realised that wasn't it and did wonder if there was a quake.

#1384808 - 18/08/2016 15:47 Re: Earthquakes [Re: bundybear]
Firepac Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Proserpine
Originally Posted By: bundybear
Interesting about this. Today I was in Kmart Bundaberg about 1 ish. I was standing still as I was using my phone and it felt like the floor was vibrating under me. Had I been walking I doubt I would have felt it. At first I put it down to a big truck passing but realised that wasn't it and did wonder if there was a quake.

This was about 2:30pm this arvo..so maybe not unless a preliminary tremour (if they exist)

#1384809 - 18/08/2016 15:54 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Firepac]
bundybear Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Loc: Between Bundy and Gladstone
Originally Posted By: Firepac
Originally Posted By: bundybear

This was about 2:30pm this arvo..so maybe not unless a preliminary tremour (if they exist)

Don't know. I just thought it was weird when I read there was a quake an hour and half later. Quick google shows they might be foreshocks.

Would be interested if any was detected or it was just a bloody big truck. smile

Edited by bundybear (18/08/2016 15:56)

#1384811 - 18/08/2016 16:25 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Firepac]
stormy_bec Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: Kimberley Station Qld
Originally Posted By: Firepac
Mag 5.8 just off Bowen Qld this afternoon. Strongly felt here in Proserpine!

Geosciences

I'm 65 k north west of Moranbah and we felt it. I was at my computer and the chair was jumping underneath me so I was holding onto the desk. Hubby was in bed and ran out asking what the hell was that. My 6year old was watching our tv bouncing around on the cabinet.

#1384818 - 18/08/2016 17:04 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Dawgggg Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Townsville
Crazy feeling associated with the tremors. I got a sense of vertigo for about 10 seconds.

Very cool.

#1384822 - 18/08/2016 17:41 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
Mega Offline
Meteorological Motor Mouth

Loc: Maryborough, Wide Bay, QLD
Have you ever felt one before Trav?

Until last year I'd never felt a quake before. It was a weird experience to say the least, pretty much just as you described.

#1384827 - 18/08/2016 18:32 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
bradcq Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: koongal rockhampton qld
Full moon also

#1384828 - 18/08/2016 18:42 Re: Earthquakes [Re: Lindsay Knowles]
bradcq Offline
Weather Freak

Loc: koongal rockhampton qld
Have not looked at the tides but presume 2:30pm would have been Lowish tide

#1384833 - 18/08/2016 19:52 Re: Earthquakes [Re: bradcq]
duckweather Offline
Weatherzone Addict

Hi all.

QLD has come up with the quakes/tremors I said it might, following on from the continued activity to the east and around the Pacific Islands.
It is interesting to see what some of you WZ'ers are saying about what you felt from these quakes. The type of movements felt are good to know about. This helps try and work out what type of movement/s has/have occurred.
There's those "B" names I have often rattled on about - "Bowen" and "Bundaberg". Just a coincidence of course.

I haven't time since my last post to keep up with what's going on as I have been 'flat out' all week with work - exhausted.

After this weekend, I will have more time to catch up and keep any eye on the energy happenings across the globe.

For now, Duck.

Page 115 of 154 < 1 2 ... 113 114 115 116 117 ... 153 154 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Today's Birthdays
bradmac, Eager2beastormchaser, Go The Cows, Roland
Forum Stats
29947 Members
32 Forums
24194 Topics
1529247 Posts

Max Online: 2985 @ 26/01/2019 12:05
Satellite Image